Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash

2.8

Active: Salicylic Acid (2%), Other: Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Disodium EDTA, Benzalkonium Chloride , Yellow 5, Red 40, Fragrance 07/2013

on 1/21/2013 10:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I find this to be the only wash that neutralizes and minimizes my comedonal acne! My dermatologist actually told me to use this when I saw him last December, but I've been using it for months even before then! With the 2% SA, I find it enough to combat my oily and acne prone skin but not be too drying. I realize some people find it too strong so id recommend other cleansers, which usually have .5-1% SA or BP.

It's important to follow up with a moisturizing face lotion. In my case I need an oil-free one, but I make sure it's still provides some moisture.

I notice the cleanser can burn your eyes pretty bad if it gets in them or close to them. So be careful and make sure you rinse completely with luke warm or cold water.

Overall, it's a dermatologist-recommended cleanser with sufficient medication that works!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

First off, it broke me out at the very beginning. But I was just assuring myself that it was because my skin was adjusting to it. It got a bit better afterwards, but it never really gave me the skin I really wanted. I re-purchased it once before because I kept trying to convince myself it would work. However, it didn't.

- It smells awful
- It doesn't foam up well at all or lather so you can't really tell if the product is on your skin and working
- It always runs and finds its way to get in my eyes or on my lips
- The packaging sucks. The pump always breaks off and I can't find a way to put it back on as it was before.
- This also sucks to travel with. The pump makes it all leak out, making a mess and wasting the product.

Don't buy this.

Ughhhh. I cannot tell you how much i dislike this cleanser. If I could give it zero lipsticks I would. It did nothing for my acne and dried out my skin. Although it did help me discover my contact dermatitis -__- yaaaay. Will not be buying this product again.

My derm recommended this when I was going through a bad bout of acne a few years ago. I've since discontinued using it daily because it is just wayyyyy too drying. But I do continue keeping it around because this stuff seriously WORKS. The key is in learning how to make it work for your individual skin concerns.

I use it 1-3 times a week whenever my skin starts to look muddy or congested. After using it, my facial skin is so bright and clean it almost looks sparkly. It is truly amazing for opening your pores and deep cleaning them. If I have any surface acne lurking about, it's gone within a day or so of using this.

On the downside, it is extremely drying and I can only imagine very, very oily skins tolerating it on a daily basis. It also smells like dishwashing detergent, which in my book is not an attractive scent, but I suppose it's a small price to pay for clear skin. Just be sure to moisturize after using this or your skin WILL turn into the Sahara Desert.

on 12/29/2012 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is the only face wash that keeps my face clear. It can be drying but you must remember to moisturize your skin, especially in the winter. The aloe version is a little less drying. I use this once a day, night.

on 12/29/2012 3:07:00 PM

DO NOT USE. My face is very sore and itchy, i only used it twice and its burnt my skin and brought me out in spots. Never again will i use this product, its very powerful.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Recently my face started to break out so I decided to try a new product. I've been using this for about 3 weeks now and regret it. The first week I used it as directed, twice a day, but it dried my face out and made around my mouth sensitive and flaky. So I started only once a day and moisturizing more. But then my acne got worse, I stopped using this product three days ago and my acne has cleared up so much.

on 12/16/2012 3:34:00 AM

I used this two nights in a row, then I woke up the next morning with the itchiest skin around my jawline and on my chin and cheeks.
Skin is pretty inflamed and red with tiny little bumps all over it.
I have never had sensitive skin and my skin is usually slightly oily.
So disappointed with this face wash. Waste of money as it is already in the bin after two uses.
I would not recommend to anyone.

I never write product reviews. but joined this site so I could because I am so so annoyed with how this product made my skin. I switch between cleansers regularly and normally just use oil free types and they all do the same job. I thought this product would give me great results because of the brand and price $14.99 the highest priced cleanser at the supermarket. After one day of use I become itchy around my jawline and had some redness. By the second day it got redder and spread to my chin. I stopped using the product and after another 2 days of no use my skin is flaky dry itchy and red all over and has tiny little blotches on it. nothing will get rid of the dry skin and every time I try to moisturise my face stings excruciatingly. I'm having to use tons of moisturiser to try and get my skin back to normal and I'm certain this will result in breakouts on my normally semi oily skin. I hope my skin heals quickly and will never ever use this again. DO NOT BUY. especially if you have semi sensitive skin. I have never experienced this horrible skin problem before and don't want to ever again.

on 12/4/2012 5:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I stupidly switched to this one because I couldn't find Liquid Neutrogena on the shelf once. Immediately regretted it. Just two washes and my skin got extra dry. And this was when my skin was oily in my early to late teens. I wouldn't even recommend this product for those with oily skin.