Maybelline Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes

on 7/14/2010 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This was a really great buy for me. I picked it up for 3.99 CDN at Shoppers and I've been really pleased with it. I can't pull off a natural smokey eye because it's just too dark for me. I'm quite pale, so the natural smokes quad gives me a really nice look for nighttime without going overboard. I don't think I'll be wearing in the daytime since it's a little dramatic although some of the colors on their own would work I imagine. I would recommend snapping this up. I think pretty much anyone would be able to get use out of it.

on 7/13/2010 2:52:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I like that 3 of the 4 colors are on the satin/matte side, and the "lid" color is the only true shimmer in the palette. It's also a very nice selection of inexpensive, good quality dupes of higher end eyeshadows for 5 usd and some change. How can you have complaints? The packaging is practical. The eyeshadows themselves are slightly chalky but overall good quality, and they apply smoothly. I've never had problems with fallout using these eyeshadows. If I follow the directions for application on the back of the palette, I get a pretty dark, NOT natural, smokey neutral eye, which I like, but you can mix and match, obviously, and achieve any neutral look you want from natural to dramatic. The pigmentation on all of these is really good, and they don't crease (over TFSI). I like this palette a lot, and I would repurchase.

on 7/13/2010 2:45:00 AM

For cheap makeup, this looks nice. It is a bit on the shimmery side, which makes it look a bit cheaper. I find that I can achieve a similar look using mac cork and brown down, without all the shimmeryness. But for fun, cheap, everyday wear, this is great.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this product because I wanted to use this as an everyday neutral eyes look. All of the colors in this pallet are very pretty. There are two shimmery shadows and two matte shadows. When you look in the pan, the 'lid' color is a beautiful shimmery browny taupe color while the 'crease' is a beautiful chocolate brown. The 'brow bone' color is a matte off white and the 'outer corner' is a deep rich coco matte shadow. These color is beautiful in the pan and when you rub your finger in it it looks SO pigmented! WRONG! While it is smooth to the touch, when you swatch it on your hand it shows up very chalky and I have to apply a ton of product to make it look decent. When you apply it on your eyelid, it's the same deal. You have to pack on a TON of product to make it show up on your lid! The shadow that really disappointed me was the 'lid' color. I really love this color but I have to pack it on to my brush to make it show up. The 'brow bone' color also fell short. I know it's a highlight color but it's very chalky and it barely shows up on my skin and it is the least pigmented in the entire pallet. Although I do love the sleek packaging there's just too many cons to this product that I simply won't re-purchace.

PROS:
~Available in Drugstores (cheaper)
~Sleek Packaging
~Diagram on where to put everything on your eyes on the back of the pallet
~The 'crease' and the 'outer corner' is the most pigmented shadows in the pallet

CONS:
~CHALKY!
~Little bit hard to blend
~When rubbed on finger looks pigmented, but when applied it falls short
~The 'lid' and the 'brow bone' color isn't pigmented at all!

Overall:
This pallet is simply too chalky for my taste. I will use it up but I don't plan on re-purchacing. I MIGHt plan on trying out other pallets in this line but I don't think I'm going to re-purchace 'Natural Smokes'.

3/5 Stars [Will NOT re-purchase]

on 7/11/2010 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I love neutral shades! Since I have fair skin, I cannot pull off too bold of colors. Brown is an everyday color that can be intensified with darker shades for nighttime use.

The packaging is kind of flimsy; it's fully plastic and does not seem very durable.

The lid and crease colors are not that pigmented, so in order to get a sharp color, I had to apply layers and really load my brush up. The outer corner color is extremely pigmented, so I had to watch out for that application and hope to not overdo it. The brow bone color is very sheer and hard to make noticeable without applying layers, and it appeared a little translucent on my skin tone, but I'm sure it would look great on darker tones.

Overall, this product is worth the drugstore run.

on 7/7/2010 6:07:00 AM

This has become an everyday quad for me and i'm finding myself reaching for it on days that i dont feel like deciding what colour eyeshadow i should wear cause this actually matches with anything (other than bright red lips ofcourse .. but i wouldn't wear that anyway).
I first saw this on hollyannaeree's youtube video when she was raving about it and i had to get it cause even though i had just bought the coastal scents 88 shimmer and matte palettes, i wanted something that was neutral that i could carry with me everywhere and this seemed perfect for that. I went to my local shoppers drug mart and bought this quad and the chai latte quad and i couldn't be happier!

I use it exactly as they show on the instruction in the back. I use the taupe colour for all over my lid, then overlap the crease area (where my sockets are) with the crease colour and barely use the outer corner colour for the the outer corner (duh) and i also use that outer corner colour as hollyannaeree suggests (to line the lower lash line) for a smoky effect.. brow bone colour (self explanatory).... and then i use maybelline's 10 vanilla eyeshadow to do my tear duct and inner corner.

I'll definitely buy this again!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I am a fan of this quad. I'm fair with brown eyes and I have found the trick to this shadow is to apply it WET over a base (I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance). It also helps to apply very little at first and then blend out instead of packing it on. This should help avoid the 'black eye' look which I initially had a problem with too. I use the darkest shade as a liner and it's very pigmented so it works well for that. The lid color is my favorite; it's a rare, cooler-toned brownish taupe and looks great on camera. Overall, I am pleased with it!

on 7/1/2010 1:02:00 AM

Helayna said it all. For me, this product as a quad was an FAIL. I would go as far as epic fail, but Ive found a few uses for it. Ill start by reviewing each individual shadow.
Lid Color: Definitley not pigmented enough for my liking. I know this color wouldnt work as an all over lid color, just because Id probably look like a drag queen if I did (which I was right) but I tried using it in my crease and you REALLY have to build up the color in order to see the color visibly. Its a beautiful color, dont get me wrong, but I dont know if its worth dealing with.
Crease Color: One of the main reasons why I am giving this product a three. I LOVE this color, gorgeous on the outer corneer. Its way too dark to put on my crease, but its a beautiful brown with warm undertones and a gorgeous hint of shimmer. Its easy to blend and work with, so I love using this color with other quads.
Outer Corner Color: How in the world do people say this is so pigmented and dark? YES, it is pigmented, but now like, insane pigment. And for me, I find it to be a sheer matte black. You dont get what you see in the pan when you apply it to your lid. You have to build it up to get the intensity of the opaque color in the pan. I still would try it under my lower lash line though, when I want to go for a subtle smudged look.
Highlight Color: I really like this as a highlight. Its an off white matte shadow thats very subtle and simple. I like how its matte so my eyes dont look over dramatic. Its very sheer and smoothe, nothing chunky and chalky. Just right for a highlight.
So there you have my review for the colors! Overall, I just dont think this quad is suited for my eyes. It looks gorgeous on Holly Ann Aeree which is why I even got this, but I look... ridiculous when used as noted. But Im glad that I can still find some use from this pallet by using the colors individually. I dont think I'd repurchase, but its definitely something worth trying since it was only five bucks.

on 6/30/2010 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

i was really wanted to love this quad, after seeing hollyannaeree rave about this product i knew i had to get it.
buying this was way out of my comfort zone, i don't usually wear dark colors such as this one, but for $5 i didn't mind. i was right, I CANNOT pull off dark colors, this quad made me look like i had a huge black eye. when i swatched the colors they looked gorgeous, but they just looked chalky and "blah" on my lids, which was unattractive. I used the outer corner color to line my eyes, and it was not very pigmented, but on the eyelid it was way to much for me.
this quad was a complete fail to me, if you can rock these colors, go for it. as for myself, i took this back the next day

I bought this product because I found a review with pics on a site that said all four were mac dupes: brule (brow bone), satin taupe (lid), tempting (crease), and night manoeuvres (outer corner). I find that I don't use the lid or crease color very much. The lid color is very chalky and has poor color payoff. (I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance as a base.) Ulta's Plum Smoke might be a better alternative.
I give this a good rating because I really like the brow and outer corner shadows. The outer corner has a creamier texture and better color payoff. The brow bone is a nice light matte color. I've paired them up with matte browns from Coastal Scents and shimmery browns (sin, chopper, smog) from Urban Decay. Very pretty!