September 2, 2014 | 1867 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Stylish Smokes in Natural Smokes

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2010 8:54:00 AM More reviews by desertrose156

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am a fan of this quad. I'm fair with brown eyes and I have found the trick to this shadow is to apply it WET over a base (I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance). It also helps to apply very little at first and then blend out instead of packing it on. This should help avoid the 'black eye' look which I initially had a problem with too. I use the darkest shade as a liner and it's very pigmented so it works well for that. The lid color is my favorite; it's a rare, cooler-toned brownish taupe and looks great on camera. Overall, I am pleased with it!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/1/2010 1:02:00 AM More reviews by carolinee08

Helayna said it all. For me, this product as a quad was an FAIL. I would go as far as epic fail, but Ive found a few uses for it. Ill start by reviewing each individual shadow.
Lid Color: Definitley not pigmented enough for my liking. I know this color wouldnt work as an all over lid color, just because Id probably look like a drag queen if I did (which I was right) but I tried using it in my crease and you REALLY have to build up the color in order to see the color visibly. Its a beautiful color, dont get me wrong, but I dont know if its worth dealing with.
Crease Color: One of the main reasons why I am giving this product a three. I LOVE this color, gorgeous on the outer corneer. Its way too dark to put on my crease, but its a beautiful brown with warm undertones and a gorgeous hint of shimmer. Its easy to blend and work with, so I love using this color with other quads.
Outer Corner Color: How in the world do people say this is so pigmented and dark? YES, it is pigmented, but now like, insane pigment. And for me, I find it to be a sheer matte black. You dont get what you see in the pan when you apply it to your lid. You have to build it up to get the intensity of the opaque color in the pan. I still would try it under my lower lash line though, when I want to go for a subtle smudged look.
Highlight Color: I really like this as a highlight. Its an off white matte shadow thats very subtle and simple. I like how its matte so my eyes dont look over dramatic. Its very sheer and smoothe, nothing chunky and chalky. Just right for a highlight.
So there you have my review for the colors! Overall, I just dont think this quad is suited for my eyes. It looks gorgeous on Holly Ann Aeree which is why I even got this, but I look... ridiculous when used as noted. But Im glad that I can still find some use from this pallet by using the colors individually. I dont think I'd repurchase, but its definitely something worth trying since it was only five bucks.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/30/2010 9:42:00 PM More reviews by helayna

i was really wanted to love this quad, after seeing hollyannaeree rave about this product i knew i had to get it.
buying this was way out of my comfort zone, i don't usually wear dark colors such as this one, but for $5 i didn't mind. i was right, I CANNOT pull off dark colors, this quad made me look like i had a huge black eye. when i swatched the colors they looked gorgeous, but they just looked chalky and "blah" on my lids, which was unattractive. I used the outer corner color to line my eyes, and it was not very pigmented, but on the eyelid it was way to much for me.
this quad was a complete fail to me, if you can rock these colors, go for it. as for myself, i took this back the next day

rated 3 of 5 on 6/22/2010 3:58:00 PM More reviews by blueeyeddevil128

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this product because I found a review with pics on a site that said all four were mac dupes: brule (brow bone), satin taupe (lid), tempting (crease), and night manoeuvres (outer corner). I find that I don't use the lid or crease color very much. The lid color is very chalky and has poor color payoff. (I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance as a base.) Ulta's Plum Smoke might be a better alternative.
I give this a good rating because I really like the brow and outer corner shadows. The outer corner has a creamier texture and better color payoff. The brow bone is a nice light matte color. I've paired them up with matte browns from Coastal Scents and shimmery browns (sin, chopper, smog) from Urban Decay. Very pretty!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/16/2010 9:59:00 AM More reviews by pande

The lid color is really hard to get onto your eye, its like chalky it falls apart. I cant seem to get the colors to blend well together either. I am shocked that I didnt like this product I usually always like their eyeshadows. The price is not bad actually pretty cheap. I will not be purchasing this non pigmented eyeshadow again

rated 4 of 5 on 6/14/2010 3:59:00 PM More reviews by claudel67123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

The idea is good. I didn't like the consistency of the eyeshadows. These shadows need a base to stick to and there is a lot of fall out when blending. The price is quite fair and it is good if you don't own a wide range of quality shadows and don't want to invest. I would recommend to beginners but would not recommend if you don't like a pearl finish to your eyes(2 out of 4 shadows are pearl/satin finish and the rest are matte). For its price, great product!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2010 3:50:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

I recently discovered a delightful YT guru (never thought I'd see the day!) who raved about this product so much it caused me to jump in my car on a Sunday morning to get to a nearby drugstore. I love the palette's color combinations, and it's true that they're dead ringers for four MAC shades: Satin Taupe, Mulch, Vanilla and Embark. Unfortunately, the pan colors are the end to the similarities.

Three of the four shades (all but the deepest shade) are not pigmented at all - or at least, not as much as I'd like. I need not only a primer, but a base as well, and I have to work fast, as once those two products have totally dried... well, I'm starting all over again. Even then, the pigmentation is just sorely lacking. I'm so disappointed, as they seem to work so well for so many.

Yes, the palette was inexpensive, but it's still a total waste of my money, seeing as I can't get them to work for me. So sad.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2010 4:42:00 PM More reviews by AnnaCate007

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

As long as you use a good primer, base, and brushes, this quad should work wonderfully for you. The lid color is very unique and I use it a lot. This is my go-to smokey eye look. I prefer browns over blacks/greys, and this fits the bill perfectly. These aren't the most pigmented or the longest wearing shadows ever, but they certainly do the job for being from a drugstore. And for a little bit over $5 I definately will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2010 7:38:00 PM More reviews by mandiluk

One of my everyday quads. It has two matte colors - the highlight (white/beige color) and the outter corner (brown). The crease is a light brown with shimmer. I rarely use it. The lid color is very unique; it's a light almost opague color with lots of glitter and shimmer. I haven't experienced any fall out with the lid color. I use it for a more dramatic eye, not an everyday use.
Def need to pick this product up!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2010 9:27:00 PM More reviews by jejkim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

This is my first foray into DS eyeshadows, Maybelline no less, but I am really impressed. Found the rec from Hollyannaeree on YT and I love this quad!

Price is dirt cheap, esp if you get to CVS at the right time, the packaging is a bit flimsy but it does what it needs to, the colors are beautiful for a look between workday neutrals and night time dramatic. Every color in this palette is spot on (and as others have reviewed dupes of MAC colors). You can wear just one or all and they blend harmoniously.

I did notice that you really have to pack on the color to get an intense eye look. These apply from very sheer to dark depending on additional tools you use (primer, brushes). Overall, an excellent buy! Looks good on my NC25-NC40 skin looks.