L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes Mascara in Black

3.7

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

HG HG HG! Ladies, I think I've just fallen in love. DE Beauty Tubes mascara is THE BEST lengthening mascara I've found. I've had my eye on the original Double Extend mascara since I was like..13..but my allowance wasn't enough to buy a mascara with such a hefty price tag. Even now, I just keep thinking it's not going to be what I hoped it was. I recently switched up my makeup routiene and need a good lengthening mascara. After trying a few others, I caved and bought Double Extend Beauty Tubes. Target sells it for $7.08 and I had a $2 coupon. I came home and wiped my other mascara off and applied the primer to my lashes. Holy sweet mother of crap my lashes were a mile long. The primer applied kind of clumpy and thick, but I turned the wand around and applied the mascara right after, as the package (and other reviewers) say. It smoothed out the thickness of the primer and my lashes literally almost touched my eyebrows. Now that's the kind of length I'm looking for. Plus, it didn't make my lashes super thick, so they look flirtatious and defined instead of long, thick, and spidery. I can't believe Double Extend is this great! It's everything I've been looking for in a mascara, and it doesn't smudge at all! I haven't taken it off yet (I just got it today and HAD to write a review) so I can't say much in that department, but reguardless this is an amazing LENGTHENING mascara and 100% worth trying at least once.

Edit: This mascara is the best. I took a nap before work the other day, and my mascara was still perfectly in place. I've used eye drops and accidently rubbed my eyes and this mascara doesn't smudge. Plus, removing it is easier than removing regular washable mascara. I run some warm water over my washcloth, hold it over each eye for a few seconds, and wipe down. Almost all the "tubes" glide right off, leaving no residue whatsoever.

Edit: I've been using this for around three weeks, and it definitely doesn't perform as well as it did when I first got it. The formula is still wet and builds well, but it doesn't last as long as it used to. It smudges more and is more difficult to remove. Instead of "tubes", I'm getting clumps and pieces coming off.

This certainly isn't the greatest, most perfect mascara, but it really does have a lot of wonderful aspects that keeps me returning. First, this mascara does not smudge! I've worn it in florida during a summer rainstorm at the beach and it still didn't smudge or flake off! I looked a drowned mess, but at least my lashes still looked nice :)
But I don't wear this all the time. I have long, fairly curly lashes, but I sometimes like to use an eyelash curler for a little added lift. An eyelash curler is pointless with this. But is does give my lashes a nice, clump-free, defined look, so its fine for normal use.
I also find that I hate the design of the product. I wish it was just two different tubes, not that annoying combo tube. And sometimes the brush is difficult to work with - it seems kind of clumsy to maneuver.

Overall, I love that this is basically an easy to remove, but still smudge-proof, mascara.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I have really come to like this mascara! I bought it when it first came out on the market, and I was not very impressed. I don't care much for length: I like color and volume from a mascara. I used it a few times and threw it out. Fast forward to summer: I started having second thoughts about this because one thing I remembered from my first test drive with this stuff was that it DID NOT smudge or run. Here it is, 100+ degrees in CA and I'm reconsidering. The second try-out with this mascara, I gave it more of a fair chance: I read the directions very carefully and I also made sure I had a lash comb to use. This time I love it!!

Pros:
*DOESN'T SMUDGE!!! (This is being worn all day in triple digit heat)
*extremely easy to remove, and the little tubes are fun to pull off
*removal gets ALL of the mascara, no day-after raccoon eyes
*nice black color which is actually black, not gray
*nice length!
*base coat really does nourish and amp up the length and volume

Cons:
*sort of a steep learning curve for some
*not the best at holding a curl
*brush is sorta short

Application tips:
*Follow the directions!!!! Really!
*Do not let the white base dry before you apply the mascara; you have to work faster than normal
*It is easier to build it up when it's wet, IME: once dry, don't bother
* if you notice clumps on the brush, clean it off on a paper towel: I think that when exposed to air from repeated use, it tubes up and then you essentially transfer those tubes to your lashes. In the form of clumps. No bueno. So clean that sucker off once in awhile.

So, if you're willing to invest a few days in learning how to use this mascara, it is well worth the effort to have smudge-free lashes and a mascara that removes easily. I really love this stuff!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just bought this product yesterday after reading all the reviews on it. I thought to myself what is there to lose. Well to my surprise this mascara is wonderful. Not only did it make my lashes extremely long, but it makes them extremely black as well. The pigment is perfect! I also like how easy it is to wash off, I was also fascinated by the rubber-like tubes coming off my lashes with just a little warm water. The only downfall is the size of the brush I think it's a little too short, but if they were to make the brush longer in length it be perfect.

This mascara is my new drug store favorite, although Diorshow will always be my #1 this stuff comes to a close second.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I really like this mascara, probably the best I have tried so far. I love how it lengthens and separates. However if I'm in a big rush this is not the mascara I would use.

This is the mascara that I use now, after having tried numerous drug store and high end brands.

It is not perfect, but it's the best I've found.

Pros:
. Thickens, lengthens, and curls
. Never gives me panda eyes - ie no smudging or budging
. Very black
. Lasts well - ie, does not become unusable after a short period due to glugginess.
. The black colour is neither too wet nore too dry so application is relatively easy
. Not too clumpy
. Doesn't give spidery lashes
. The brushes are the right size for separation, definition, and curling
. Removal is super easy: warm water makes the "tubes" slide off the lashes.

Cons:
. Buildability could be better. After one or two coats of the black colour, further coats will give some clumping
. If you udon't remove the mascara before bed, some of the black colour will flake off, leaving the white undercoat visible.
. The packaging is a bit unwieldy if you're in a rush.
. If you have sensitive eyes, the dried flakes of colour could be irritating

Overall:
For the price, there isn't a competing products that will give so many benefits with relatively few problems.

I love this mascara! It never smudges under the eye or leaves little flakes. It makes my lashes super long. I also have very sensitive eyes and it didn't bother them at all. My only complaint is I seem to be losing a lot of my own eye lashes when I wash my face at night. I can actually see my lashes stuck to the "tubes" in the sink. It helps to press a wet warm wash cloth to the eye area before you wash it off.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I actually quite like this mascara. When I wear this mascara my lashes are so long they touch my glasses lenses. No other mascara has matched this in length for me. I also don't have to worry about flaking which is fantastic because my eyes are very sensitive. I haven't seen a single smudge either. I put that I'd not repurchase simply because I hope to find a mascara like this but with only one step and that will hopefully not leave my lashes so brittle feeling.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

After reading Aerislanne's excellent review and tips I gave this a second try and now I really like it.

I skipped the primer altogether this time, and just swiped on the black side. I get length which I don't want and great volume which I do want, when I swipe twice.

I have oily eyelids and all mascaras transfer onto my brow bone, then flake into my eyes, and drift into an ugly smudge under my eyes. I'm prone to redness and sensitivities not to mention dealing with various allergies. So red watery eyes are a constant threat to mascara.

I notice a little smudging but no flaking when I use it without the primer. So the primer does help if you use it. But when I use the primer, it seems to weigh down my lashes, making my lids feel tired and heavy.

It still lasts all day without the primer, and it forms the little tubes.

Removal is easy if you do one eye at a time--- run warm water over the eye, then gently wash with a little cleanser, then check and see (keep that eye closed, look out of your unwashed eye) if all the tubey bits are gone. Repeat for the other side.

That removal procedure is a bit fiddly but I've ended up with tubules in my eyes if I've opened them too soon, thinking I'd got them all off.

This is a wonderful mascara with a big learning curve but in my opinion it is well worth the bother.

UPDATE: not bothering anymore. Switched to Cover Girl Waterproof Lash Blast in Brownish Black which is a better colour for me.

I still think this is good, but I need volume more than length, and I need a brownish tone more than black. I will buy this again if they ever come out with a volumizing formula in a brownish colour.

UPDATE FURTHER: Nope never again. CG Lash Blast Waterproof is perfect for me. Not going with a 2 step process or bothering with the extra cost anymore. This product is a nice idea, but I've found a remover that works well for me so even the warm water removal isn't the big plus it used to be for me. (Neutrogena bi phase remover-- the one you shake to mix. Apply to cotton pad, hold on the eye for a minute and swipe off, repeat other eye)

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

I absolutely love this mascara...I have short wild eye lashes...I have tried numerous mascaras & this is the first one in a loooong time that has really made a difference in the look of my eye lashes. Yes reading the directions is very key...*TIP* do one eye at a time-apply primer then mascara to one eye before applying anything to the other eye...Ive been hearing rave reviews about lash blast so Im gonna try it in comparison to this one...the only con...is taking it of you can lose a couple of lashes

Popular Mascaras