July 23, 2014 | 1133 users online

Powder - Lancome - Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2010 5:32:00 PM More reviews by novelist

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Back in the 1980's I was a Lancome gal. Sometime in the 1990's Lancome changed and so did I, and it's taken me a very long time to try their products again. I've been eyeing Dual Finish for at least six months, researching the powder, reading reviews. I'd been using NARS pressed powder in Eden as a finishing powder and while it's good, I wanted something more than just a finishing powder. Finally I bought the fragrance-free Dual Finish online along with another goodie and got the GWP and free shipping. I engaged in a rather limp "live chat" online to try to determine the shade, but lost patience after 15 minutes and went with Matte Buff II. For reference, I'm NW20 and tan in the summer.

When the package came (by the way, the cute little "makeup" bag holds only my tweezers and nail clippers), my DD said, "Oh, your skin oughta love this stuff, it's got mineral oil in it." Indeed, my skin loves this stuff and I love the way I look in it. The soft-focus effect is akin to the Maquimat foundation I used 20 years ago (d/c of course). At the present time, I use a fluffy round blush brush to apply and it's working fine. But a SK skunk brush is on its way from Target and I'll probably work with that one.

There is one area of hyperpigmentation on the uppermost part of my left cheekbone, a nice target for the sunlight, which I usually put concealer on to mask. I no longer have to do it. when using Dual Finish. And the amount of blush I need is greatly reduced since I've got a nice subtle radiance.

You can use this powder wet but I am sticking with it dry as a finishing powder. Ahhh, it's been a long time, Lancome. Welcome back.

One last note, the "live chat" gal e-mailed after my order was placed and agreed that I'd selected the best color for my skintone.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2010 9:03:00 PM More reviews by earlyonemorning

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This was the first foundation that I ever tried and I always come back to it. It looks wonderful and applies beautifully with a nice fluffy brush. I find that applying with the sponge will get uneven results and heavy coverage, also a lot is trapped on the sponge, which I use disposables of for hygienic purposes. If you need heavier coverage than you just need a denser brush, ELF's powder brush gives me full coverage when I need it (not often). Even then you would have to go crazy with it to get that dry powder puff look. I wear matte porcelaine I and it's a perfect match to my natural skin color, and not too pink of an undertone for my asian skin, unlike alot of the other paler tones out there. I only move away from this when I start getting darker because of the sun. Even though it says matte, you still get a healthy luminance because you can see your skin underneath (unless you do full coverage).
I got it a few years ago and the SA told me that it worked well as both a foundation and a powder, and works exceptionally well on younger skin compared to some of the other foundations at the counter and I'm still finding it to be true whenever I wear it. I almost never need to touch up except for a little bit of oiliness on those really sweaty days. There's alot in the compact so if you don't use a whole lot at a time then it'll last a very long time. I still have a backup anyways though. :D

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2010 6:17:00 PM More reviews by antigone1144

For the most part, I'd say this is a great powder. There are a few caveats, which is why I didn't give it five lippies. First off, the sponge, which is my applicator of choice for this powder, will not stay in the compact without causing it to occasionally pop open. Second, I feel that this is not a good product for oil control. Yes, it gives smooth, silky, flawless coverage, (at least it does to my slightly acne-scarred redness prone skin) but if you're a tri-daily blotter like I am, this won't change anything. Third, this powder, though pretty straightforward in its application, looks TERRIBLE in excess. If you overdo it, you will look so very very chalky and wrong.
The key to this is moderation, and for me, a face that's not fresh-out-of-the-sink. In the morning after I wash my face, I"ll put on my topical meds and lotion, and wait for a generous bit-- I'll make my coffee, eat my bagel, do a little eye makeup, etc. Applying it sparingly afterwards, I consistently get to experience a porcelain, perfectly color-matched complexion. I use it as a foundation, and set it with Lancome's Photogenic for a little bit of sheen, and it's lovely. I get compliments about this all the time, because I have that look of flawlessness without any pesky line of demarcation, thanks to the awesome silky coverage and the wide color range. It's so hard to find a light enough color for my skin that's not in the cool range. Matte Neutrale II is absolutely perfect for me. If you've got some money to spend on a quality luxury powder, don't hesitate to give this one a try.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/29/2010 2:13:00 PM More reviews by chinkycin

This is a mediocre makeup. I was looking for a powder compact that's good for combination skin and long lasting with medium coverage. The cosmetician at Shoppers recommend this to me. She said this is an oil free product, therefore will not cause breakouts, and a lasting makeup. I purchased this even though it was expensive - i believe it was around $50CAD. The only 2 things i liked bout this compact were it did provide good coverage and not cause any breakouts, but it was not long lasting at all. I found myself having to reapply 2 hours after the first application, this was very disappointing given I had paid so much for it. There was also a smell to this product - i don't mean to offend ppl here - but it was almost like an old person smell, and it was strong. I probably would consider buying this again if not for the smell.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2010 9:31:00 AM More reviews by redmakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I love how this product last on your face for a very long time. you can even sweat and it stays on. I went to a tanning bed and my skin still had it on afterwards. This stuff is truely amazing in that aspect. Different shades seem to give you different coverage. Bisque and Nu give me great coverage, while my real tone Sand gives me ok coverage. I don't know why this is, but depending on the shade you are you might get a different level on coverage. The perfume it contains is bad smelling and could do without it. It comes in a Fragrance Free version, but those are rather hard to find. This also photographs well and doesn't settle into fine lines.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2010 3:30:00 PM More reviews by Gm619

I've been using this for years and years. I now use the unscented version, which I prefer. I keep trying other powdered foundations and keep on coming back to this. It's a light coverage when you use a Kabuki brush and a heavier coverage when you use the applicator that it comes with. Intially when you put it on you will look powdery, but in a short while the powderiness goes away and it gives you a nice even look. The color does not oxidize on me. It stays pretty true. I do have to either re-apply or use an oil blotting sheet during the day because I start to get shiny after a while. Pretty good product. I usually wait for a GWP when I need to repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2009 3:57:00 PM More reviews by Hoyman

I don't care for this powder any more. It give light coverage. I think this powder good just for setting powder. I didn't like the smell. The reason that I give 3 stars due to come in a lot of colors. It not a matt finished more like soft matt. Colors are more cool tone and neutral tone not for yellow and golden tone.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2009 8:33:00 PM More reviews by suzannaelektra

A nice powder, something different than my traditional MAC studio fix. It has a rose smell to it which I do not care for but I know it's a classic smell from a classic brand. The smell goes away fairly quickly...The coverage is lovely...lightweight but still covers. I use a brush to set my liquid and then I sponge on during the day. Matte powder but still gives your skin a glow if that makes sense. The price is a little high, almost $50 CDN...all in all really nice and worth a try if you can. I have not yet used it wet and don't think I will. Also a tip- leave the plastic on so that your sponge doesn't touch the powder!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2009 6:48:00 PM More reviews by KileyMc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Got this at a CCO even though I have about 5 powder fdtns already but just had to try it. Tons of colors so you'll most likely find a match with lots of neutral/yellows. Confession, I like a powder fdtn with good, heavy coverage. This definitely delivers. You can build up on problem areas. Lippie off cause it can definitely look heavy and mask-like so use a careful hand. Lasts all day with no oxidation or settling. Also hard to blend once it "sets". Might re-buy but I also love LM and Mally and just can't ever see myself not trying all my options before I settle. I use my Fresh powder brush (my fave for these types of fdtns) and get super coverage and then a sponge to touch up redness. Great, but definitely not the best around. For that see LaPrairie, LM or *gasp* Neutrogena!. EDIT: Now up for swap. Too masky looking and heavy. 2 lippies still for coverage and shade range but not a good look on someone 35!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2009 3:13:00 PM More reviews by Kayelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this after trying and loving a sample compact, but the full size was disappointing and didn't deliver the same results. I have Matte Porcelaine Delicate 1 which is a fine match for my tone, but the formula feels heavy and cheap. I like powders that are soft and apply smoothly, and this was more like thick chalk that settled into any dry patches. It's also pretty bad at keeping oil at bay, so I had to retouch more frequently than with most other pressed powders. I won't buy powder from Lancome again.