October 21, 2014 | 1023 users online

Powder - Lancome - Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2010 8:36:00 PM More reviews by bumped

I don't like to wear foundation, but when my acne flares up and my skin's looking really red, I reach for this powder... Coverage is great; colors are great. Doesn't prevent my face from getting greasy (my skin is oily), but face still looks better than it would without the powder. At the very least, one application keeps oiliness at bay from mid-morning until early-afternoon.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/18/2010 3:30:00 AM More reviews by Dahlia11

I didn't like this powder at all. I have had it for 3 days, and will try it for the rest of the week, but it is an honest disappointment from Lancome.

Pros:
-There is a very wide color range. There is also a chart which helps find your shade (at the counter).
-The compact is very stable and not likely to fall apart in my purse. It's also slim and classic looking.
-It is fragranced, which could be a plus for some, but to me it's nice and another pro.

Cons:
-It oxidizes, badly. When I put it on in the morning, it matches perfectly. By the end of the day, I have friends asking me where my sudden tan came from. It doesn't turn orange, fortunately, but it does darken a lot.
-It feels heavy. it doesn't look heavy or cakey, thankfully, but it feels horrible. When I've worn this powder/foundation, I feel like I have so much on my face, and I'm honestly uncomfortable and self conscious for the rest of the day.
-It doesn't control oil. I have shine on my nose within a few hours, and shine on my cheeks as well, which never happens. I couldn't imagine someone oily ever using this.
-I wish the packaging had room for the additional sponge. The sponge is completely useless, but if they're going to include it and someone expects to use it, it should at least fit in the compact.
-It transfers, which makes me scared to hug anyone with a light colored shirt in fear of leaving a powder mark.
-It is expensive, almost $40 with tax. I have paid $60 for certain foundations, so I'm not sticker shocked by the high end price, but more the fact that it doesn't work even though it comes from a high end company and costs so much.

I would not repurchase this, and honestly even if I got it for free, I wouldn't use it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2010 2:13:00 AM More reviews by MegamiMoon

My current favorite foundation! I'm generally a mineral foundation girl. If you've read any of my past reviews, you'll notice that I raved about Mineral Basics and Lancome Ageless Minerale. Mineral foundations are great, however I find that they feel slightly heavy and tend to make my skin a bit oily as the day wears on. I guess it's just how minerals react with my chemistry. I don't have that problem with Dual Finish. I disregard the sponge and puff that it comes with and apply with a kabuki brush like mineral makeup. The powder settles VERY lightly on my skin so I feel as if I'm truly not wearing makeup at all. The finish is matte and flawless and the fragrance is light and lovely. The shade I wear, Matte Ecru II, blends perfectly with my complexion. No dryness, yet no oiliness either. I do need to touch up once somewhere along the course of the day, but who doesn't, regardless of what foundation you use? Definitely worth every penny. I only wish it came with SPF built in.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2010 11:47:00 AM More reviews by productgrl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this product on a rec from a friend. I really wanted to love it (glowing reviews) but had a hard time doing so. NOW, 2 weeks later, 1 return trip to Lancome for a color check and almost a return, trying various ways to apply the product to no avail, and a new brush purchase later, I am LOVING this powder.

Dump the puff and sponge that comes with it and RUN to get the Mac 109 brush (MUA rec- THANK YOU!). this made ALL the difference. I was using my own kabuki brush and was not getting the coverage I was looking for- not even close!!! The puff and sponge applicaiton looked so unnatural. I am normally a mineral concealer and mineral veil girl (i want an extremely natural looking and feeling face but have some redness that I need to cover from capilaries, sensitivity at times, and a breakout from time to time and HATE foundation), and was looking for something that was easier and MUCH faster to apply. Well, using the Mac 109 brush with this powder, I have found my solution! In 1-2 minutes I have a flawless look that last all day in the humidity and does not streak, fall into fine lines, or get blotchy. I do have combo skin, and like another reviewer said, nothing can keep the oilies at bay all day, but this powder does for a bit, and when the oilies break through, it does not look like a mess on my face. Using this and a bit of undereye concealer, and the occational heavy dab of mega concealer for the occational breakout, I am good to go in minutes!

Color wise the match is ok, but I am in between shades so my only wish is more color options. Does not oxidize on my skin. Will repurchase and rec to friends. For reference, I am using Matte Porcelaine d'Ivoire which is just a touch dark for me in winter.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2010 6:37:00 PM More reviews by mommygirl5

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

i do love this powder. it goes on super easy and i like that it comes with two puffs. one for more sheer application, one for more full. it's a bit pricey...but so is the mac studio fix powder. my only complaint...it's not pale enough for me. if it was one shade lighter, it would be perfect. would i buy it again...yes. but, only during a gwp.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2010 5:32:00 PM More reviews by novelist

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Back in the 1980's I was a Lancome gal. Sometime in the 1990's Lancome changed and so did I, and it's taken me a very long time to try their products again. I've been eyeing Dual Finish for at least six months, researching the powder, reading reviews. I'd been using NARS pressed powder in Eden as a finishing powder and while it's good, I wanted something more than just a finishing powder. Finally I bought the fragrance-free Dual Finish online along with another goodie and got the GWP and free shipping. I engaged in a rather limp "live chat" online to try to determine the shade, but lost patience after 15 minutes and went with Matte Buff II. For reference, I'm NW20 and tan in the summer.

When the package came (by the way, the cute little "makeup" bag holds only my tweezers and nail clippers), my DD said, "Oh, your skin oughta love this stuff, it's got mineral oil in it." Indeed, my skin loves this stuff and I love the way I look in it. The soft-focus effect is akin to the Maquimat foundation I used 20 years ago (d/c of course). At the present time, I use a fluffy round blush brush to apply and it's working fine. But a SK skunk brush is on its way from Target and I'll probably work with that one.

There is one area of hyperpigmentation on the uppermost part of my left cheekbone, a nice target for the sunlight, which I usually put concealer on to mask. I no longer have to do it. when using Dual Finish. And the amount of blush I need is greatly reduced since I've got a nice subtle radiance.

You can use this powder wet but I am sticking with it dry as a finishing powder. Ahhh, it's been a long time, Lancome. Welcome back.

One last note, the "live chat" gal e-mailed after my order was placed and agreed that I'd selected the best color for my skintone.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2010 9:03:00 PM More reviews by earlyonemorning

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This was the first foundation that I ever tried and I always come back to it. It looks wonderful and applies beautifully with a nice fluffy brush. I find that applying with the sponge will get uneven results and heavy coverage, also a lot is trapped on the sponge, which I use disposables of for hygienic purposes. If you need heavier coverage than you just need a denser brush, ELF's powder brush gives me full coverage when I need it (not often). Even then you would have to go crazy with it to get that dry powder puff look. I wear matte porcelaine I and it's a perfect match to my natural skin color, and not too pink of an undertone for my asian skin, unlike alot of the other paler tones out there. I only move away from this when I start getting darker because of the sun. Even though it says matte, you still get a healthy luminance because you can see your skin underneath (unless you do full coverage).
I got it a few years ago and the SA told me that it worked well as both a foundation and a powder, and works exceptionally well on younger skin compared to some of the other foundations at the counter and I'm still finding it to be true whenever I wear it. I almost never need to touch up except for a little bit of oiliness on those really sweaty days. There's alot in the compact so if you don't use a whole lot at a time then it'll last a very long time. I still have a backup anyways though. :D

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2010 6:17:00 PM More reviews by antigone1144

For the most part, I'd say this is a great powder. There are a few caveats, which is why I didn't give it five lippies. First off, the sponge, which is my applicator of choice for this powder, will not stay in the compact without causing it to occasionally pop open. Second, I feel that this is not a good product for oil control. Yes, it gives smooth, silky, flawless coverage, (at least it does to my slightly acne-scarred redness prone skin) but if you're a tri-daily blotter like I am, this won't change anything. Third, this powder, though pretty straightforward in its application, looks TERRIBLE in excess. If you overdo it, you will look so very very chalky and wrong.
The key to this is moderation, and for me, a face that's not fresh-out-of-the-sink. In the morning after I wash my face, I"ll put on my topical meds and lotion, and wait for a generous bit-- I'll make my coffee, eat my bagel, do a little eye makeup, etc. Applying it sparingly afterwards, I consistently get to experience a porcelain, perfectly color-matched complexion. I use it as a foundation, and set it with Lancome's Photogenic for a little bit of sheen, and it's lovely. I get compliments about this all the time, because I have that look of flawlessness without any pesky line of demarcation, thanks to the awesome silky coverage and the wide color range. It's so hard to find a light enough color for my skin that's not in the cool range. Matte Neutrale II is absolutely perfect for me. If you've got some money to spend on a quality luxury powder, don't hesitate to give this one a try.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/29/2010 2:13:00 PM More reviews by chinkycin

This is a mediocre makeup. I was looking for a powder compact that's good for combination skin and long lasting with medium coverage. The cosmetician at Shoppers recommend this to me. She said this is an oil free product, therefore will not cause breakouts, and a lasting makeup. I purchased this even though it was expensive - i believe it was around $50CAD. The only 2 things i liked bout this compact were it did provide good coverage and not cause any breakouts, but it was not long lasting at all. I found myself having to reapply 2 hours after the first application, this was very disappointing given I had paid so much for it. There was also a smell to this product - i don't mean to offend ppl here - but it was almost like an old person smell, and it was strong. I probably would consider buying this again if not for the smell.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2010 9:31:00 AM More reviews by redmakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I love how this product last on your face for a very long time. you can even sweat and it stays on. I went to a tanning bed and my skin still had it on afterwards. This stuff is truely amazing in that aspect. Different shades seem to give you different coverage. Bisque and Nu give me great coverage, while my real tone Sand gives me ok coverage. I don't know why this is, but depending on the shade you are you might get a different level on coverage. The perfume it contains is bad smelling and could do without it. It comes in a Fragrance Free version, but those are rather hard to find. This also photographs well and doesn't settle into fine lines.