Lancome Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

3.9

on 9/3/2010 2:10:00 AM

I remember my mom using this stuff when I was in High School, and I'd always steal it and use it when I went out, but I remember it being too cakey. I didn't try it again until now. I actually really like it now. I don't think it's made for younger skin... I really like the wet or dry option and when used wet, it covers nicely. I really like the color too, Matt Sand III for me. But I really don't like the fragrance and I'm not too picky about that stuff. I believe there is a fragrance free version, but Macy's didn't have it in stock. I also think the compact itself is too bulky. There is a smaller version for $29.50 that's just slightly less bulky...but I went with the bigger compact so that I could get the free gift. I only buy dept store makeup when there is a free gift, otherwise it's just a little too expensive imo. But overall, as a powder foundation this stuff is pretty nice, but not an HG product.

on 8/27/2010 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I've used this product for a long time now and I am just writing the review on it now. The powder color is too light for me, but I will not based the product based on that. The coverage from powder is next to nothing and they advertise it as a foundation. Don't expect any coverage from this. It's probably okay to finish off your foundation, but it can look powdery. I have to keep touching up with this powder since it tends to fade or something. The oil control is not great at all. I try to use it to get rid of oily look, but it ends up looking cakey. That is probably my fault but overall, I will not purchase this again. There are other products out there that's worth spending on and for much less. For example... Clinique Almost Powder...

on 7/18/2010 5:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Cool

This is a very good powder foundation for normal and combination skin types. This powder is not for very oily or very dry skin types.

It comes in a gray boxed packaging with the lancome enblem on the box, an instruction booklet (more like an information manual about the product: who its for, how to use it, that kind of thing), an included sponge wraped in tight plastic packaging within the box, and the shiny black compact with an included pink and white powder puff with the lancome enblem sketched on it. This compact has the lancome name sketched in gold on the top closure part.

My experience getting matched at the counter was extensive, because there are so many shades to choose from. But despite the many shades, only one shade worked the best for me and matched my neck tones perfectly. So, i'm assuming that for every other woman, only one shade will perfectly match her.

The colors to choose from are skin true shades, with emphasis on undertone, cool (pink or red undertones) and warm (olive or yellow undertones).

The finish varies by the tool that you use. If you use the included sponge, the finish will be full coverage matte, and if your oilier, you'll have to touch up throughout the day, but its certainly not as much touching up as with liquid makeup (so thats a plus!). If you use a brush, the finish is light to medium coverage soft mattte, which actually leaves a glow to your skin and doesn't emphasize fine lines (great tool for normal/combination skin).

My skin type is normal to slightly dry (i have peeling issues if i don't use moisturizer after I cleanse, even in the summer), but I do get oily throughout the day due to humidity in the summer. Although my skin is normal, i prefer a matte finish, just to look smooth and fresh all day.

I use an olay complete spf 30 sensitive skin moisture lotion before I apply makeup (after cleansing and exfoliating of course!), which works as a moisturizer and primer.

Then I apply Lancome's Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup with a powder brush (i'm planning on getting sonia kashuk's retractable, right now i have her full size white handled powder brush, trish mcevoy also has soft brushes, but i bought hers off ebay because her line is very expensive) in shade Matte Miel Fonce (C) (b/c i have red undertones), and blend to medium-full coverage. If you use a brush your skin can still show through without emphasizing fine lines and looking too made up.

Two things I don't like about Lancome's Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup are the following:

The formula is NOT transfer resistant. Particularly when you use the included sponge (or a replacement sponge, i recommend sonia kashuk's non-latex white sponge, its the softest and most blendable), this makeup gets everywhere: on my clothes, on my hands. I can't even touch my face in distress of anything without this makeup transfering to my fingertips.

While using a full size or retractable powder brush the dual finish is a little more transfer resistant, but not by much.

All powders leave a stain anyway, because their powders. So the transfer issue is not a big one.

The second thing I have an issue with about this makeup is that no shades in intensity IV are available in the fragrance free formula. I think Lancome should definitely add three shades in the intensity IV range to the fragrance free dual finish shade collection.

And actually my opinion on that is a little stronger, I actually think that lancome should transfer all shades to the fragrance free collection, and leave the regular dual finish to just a few shades from each intensity, because more women have senstive skin now, due to the sun and the change in seasons and extreme weather conditions.

The price of this product is roughly 35 US dollars, but its not really an issue, because of all the benefits included.

I will definitely repurchase.

on 7/16/2010 1:54:00 PM

I used this years ago and couldn't really remember why I stopped... I bought it again recently and I believe I stopped before because it doesn't really last a long time on me... it's not bad... I just have to touch up a couple of times...

That's a shame and I really wish it were longer lasting because I bought color Matte Claire this time and it is absolutely, hands-down, the BEST color match I have EVER had in a powder foundation... I can get really close to a match with Clinique powders but this Matte Claire is a dead-on, perfect color match.

I really don't notice the fragrance at all.. and it does not keep me matte across my oily tzone... but the color match is just perfect... I am going to play around with some primers and see if I can get it to last longer.

on 7/14/2010 11:30:00 PM

This is my first purchase of a compact powder foundation and i absolutely LOVE LOVE this! Before i had used bare essentials which did not work out for me. I don't use liquid since i have nice skin and also i just didn't need to. I love the powder foundation and not the whole liquid foundation. It only takes about a minute for me to apply it on and it stays on the whole day. I actually don't mind with the fragrance. I use a brush instead of the pads which I think it works a lot better. I definitely will use this for a very long time! :)

on 7/11/2010 1:38:00 PM

I was a little hesitant to purchase this because I used a powder foundation years ago that I just didn't like the effect very much, however I ended up really loving this product. I use this almost daily on top of moisturizer and concealer under the eyes and it makes my face look pulled together and matte without being a winter-esque matte, if that makes any sense. If applied on sheer with a kabuki brush or the pink puff provided, it's enough to even out your overall skintone and helps tone down dark spots. I also like that you can build up the coverage using the white sponge provided without appearing cakey on your face. I find that this really helps prevent the appearance of shine and I might only have to touch up once or twice throughout the entire day, which I'm sure is a concern for those of us with combination or even oily skin. And the huge mirror inside the compact is pure awesomeness! I really appreciate Dual Finish and would definitely repurchase.

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Other

I love this product, its the perfect match for my skin tone and it seems to last me all day (both at school and work)

I use this to set my Makeup Forever HD Foundation (which I also really like lol) for when I'm going out or I will simply use this over my moisturizer on a day to day basis and with that alone it does the trick. It conceals my acne and redness to where its not completely gone but it is definitely less noticeable.

When I'm making a short trip I'll tuck this in my bag to do touch ups during the day and it does wonders. It covers up what need to be covered up with out looking powdery or cakey. Though I don't care for the little puff they give you since it's hopelessly thin but it gets the job done. And for when I need heavier coverage I use a makeup sponge to get it a little thicker and this powder doesn't cake up on me at all in my oily parts or my dry parts :3

However, one point of dislike I have, I don't like that the mirror only goes back about 90 degrees, which is an awkward angle to look into and apply the powder at the same time. It would be nice if the mirror could tilt back more lol.

As for the scent, i found it a nice, refreshing scent. Just something a little different :3

I plan to purchasing this again and again and again XD

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Pros:
It's okay where coverage is concerned
Cons:
It's really powdery on my skin. (I have normal/sensitive skin)

Bottom line: This was an average product. It gave me good coverage and a matte finish.

Recommended: No

on 6/17/2010 6:53:00 PM

One of the best makeup powders I have ever used. Although it is more on the pricey side for me, it's definitely worth it! I apply the product with a brush and it makes my face look matte and natural. I bought this and there was a GWP promotion at The Bay, so it was definitely a good deal!

on 6/13/2010 12:11:00 AM

(neutrale II)

I love love love this product.

I'll be honest and say I didn't like it at all as a foundation. I used it dry over my moisturizer and primer and it made my skin dry and flakey-looking. The coverage wasn't that great either and touch ups (for slight shine that occurred around my T-zone) just made my face caky and flakier-looking each time.

I gave it a second chance as a finishing powder over my bare minerals foundation (which isn't outstanding at controlling shine in southern humidity) and I fell in love. The powder gave my face an even and matte finish, which lasted hours before I had to dust over again.

As a finishing powder for a flawless look, this works wonders.