September 22, 2014 | 2022 users online

Mascara - Make Up For Ever - Smoky Lash Extra Black Mascara

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2010 5:01:00 PM More reviews by leeli86

Oh smoky lash!! This is a mascara that grew on me. I bought it because of all the hype and when I rushed home that day and tried it boy was I disappointed! I had horrible wet looking spider lashes!!! So poor smoky lash sat in my vanity for a few months before I decided that I couldn't waste a $22 mascara. Suprise, suprise, in those couple of months in a drawer the formula had dried up a bit and instead of wet sticky lashes I got soft full lengthened lashes with some of the darkest black colour I had ever seen. I soon found through experimentation that smoky lash works even better when used over a volumizing mascara (I use Maybelline Full and Soft). So all in all I really grew to love smoky lash and it's now my go to going out mascara. I find it a bit much for daytime and honestly just don't have the patiance to work with it in the morning. I took one lippie off because it is quite difficult to work with and you might have to wait two months before you're able to use it (I've heard this has happened to other ppl too so I know mine wasn't a bad batch or something), not to mention freakin expensive for a mascara, but was it worth it? Would I buy again? I think I would.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2010 12:18:00 PM More reviews by vester1228

I really love this mascara. I was using Lancome but found it didn't give me thickness to my lashes. An associate suggested I try this and I'm glad I did! It builds length and volume without flaking or smearing. Another reviewer was right, you have to watch the layers, keep it to two, otherwise you will end up with clumps. Would definitely buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2010 2:13:00 AM More reviews by littlegray

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This mascara is well worth the money, and second to only Dior Blackout, because it can be a little clumpy if you aren't careful. The volume it adds is impressive, and it holds curl very well. My lashes looked long and full throughout the day. It does not smear or flake, which is great because I wear glasses and it doesn't leave specks on my lenses.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2010 2:00:00 AM More reviews by diorcheriex

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really like this mascara. My favorite feature to play up is my eyes, so I like to wear a really dramatic mascara- and this is it! I have oily skin and this doesn't give me the raccoon eyes I have always had to deal with. Definitely love this product and highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2010 12:56:00 AM More reviews by winkkiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I find this a fabulous mascara. I tried it without a primer to see how it would work on its own. I was surprised to see that the mascara without a primer built coverage, length, curl, and thickness. It does take a little longer to develop the amount of coverage for vavavoom lashes, but the time is definitely worth the end result.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2010 3:46:00 PM More reviews by MoMo25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Ok, I think this is my 3rd time changing my review but I think I found a way to make this work for me. This is a time consuming mascara and I would not recommend this for days that you are in a rush. The trick is to use a light hand (don't wiggle the brush through the lashes because that makes the lashes clumpy). Use a lash comb to separate the lashes. Also, I notice that this mascara works best without a lash primer (ex. Shiseido Makeup Mascara Base) because this makes the application less smooth. Lastly, don't over apply...keep it at two coats.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2010 1:19:00 AM More reviews by TheStyleWarrior

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this with the Best of MUFE Kit. This is the best mascara I have ever tried including drugstore and high-end. It adds volume and length. I can't comment on the curling aspect because my lashes have a natural curl anyways. The mascara didn't disrupt the curl in any way, though. I usually put on multiple coats of mascara, and I'm able to get the same effect with 2 coats of this. If you go beyond 3 coats there is a little bit of clumping but this can be easily resolved with a lash comb as ling as it's done while the mascara is still wet. The consistency of this isn't very wet per se. It's not one of those liquidy mascaras. The only reason I would not repurchase this mascara (at least not on it's own) is because of the price. I find that my drugstore favorite Lash Blast Volume gives the same results. The length is amplified when combined with Lash Blast Length.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/3/2010 3:37:00 AM More reviews by Ravishingx3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

oh my goodness... this makes me look like I have 4 thick very dark lashes...its terrible. I wanted to love this I've tried both the aqua and regular formula and both have disappointed me. I get much better results with drugstore mascaras! NOT WORTH IT! Save your money and get yourself a real treat from sephora because this definitely is an over hyped product.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2010 11:12:00 PM More reviews by ari4356

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just picked up this product, but so far I am very impressed. The wand is somewhat small, but the bristles are tightly packed together. It clumps a little, but on me it just helps make it look like I have false eyelashes on. It's very black, and holds a curl ok, but the volume it gives is amazing. I will wait and see how quickly this dries out, which is a huge pet peeve for me, but so far I really like it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2010 10:00:00 AM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

I am quite impressed with this mascara. I am not a mascara fanatic like some people here, I just like to find something that works well, and that I can be happy with. I like to have two mascaras at a time; one that's lash-conditioning and more natural looking (coloring and lengthening but not very volumizing) for everyday, and one that's more dramatic (volumizing, as black as possible, lengthening, curling) for night wear and more dramatic looks. I have been using (and am quite happy with) Fresh Firebird for my everyday mascara, and prior to getting Smoky Lash I was using Diorshow as my dramatic mascara. I got Smoky Lash as a part of a set from MUFE that contained other things that I wanted. I figured I'd give the mascara a try, but I wasn't expecting to decide that I loved it!
This is definitely a volumizing, dramatic, high-impact, big-results mascara. It *can* clump a little bit. If you wipe the wand prior to application, it won't really clump. You can also use a lash comb to remove any clumps and separate your lashes for the best possible results.
I don't find that this mascara flakes off while I'm wearing it, nor does it seem to melt, smear or give me raccoon eyes. It stays nicely on the lashes until it's washed off. It's not inordinately hard to remove, any decent eye makeup remover should do the trick without needing to scrub or pull at your lashes. My Shu Uemura cleansing oil also removes this easily and gently.
I will absolutely update my review if I find that the formula starts to flake after I've had it for a while as I've read that it does for some people. I'm not really willing to replace mascara quite as frequently as the makeup companies would like us to, so if it becomes useless after a couple months, then I'll have to find something else ... I will not buy 6 mascaras a year! I think mascaras need to last at least 3 months, and preferably 4 (any more than that is a bonus. Though some people say you should change them at that point even if they're still working fine, I prefer not to replace mascara until there is a discernible change in texture or smell etc.).
I love that it really is a very dark black, and I love the volumizing/lengthening/curling/fabulous-making properties of Smoky Lash. I would definitely recommend this mascara to others.

Now that I've had this mascara for about 3 months, I can say that I don't think the formula has become flaky or worse in any way in that time. I am very happy with Smoky Lash, and I will buy it again. I actually like it better now that I have used some of the product because I don't have as much excess mascara on the wand with each application. However, I will say that it's easy for this mascara to start getting clumpy if you don't wipe off the wand often enough, which is a pain. And even when the wand is freshly wiped, I still feel the need to use a lash comb to separate my lashes. In my opinion, the mascara formula is excellent, and the wand is pretty decent, but I wish that the tube opening pulled more mascara off the wand for a less clumpy application. If I mess with my lashes too much post-mascara I can get flaking, but I think that is true of most mascara formulas. I think it's better to apply, comb through, get it how you want it, and then don't touch it. When I do this, I don't have problems with flaking.