July 30, 2014 | 1153 users online

Foundations - Make Up For Ever - HD High Definition Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2013 8:46:00 AM More reviews by LovelyThistle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have been trying to find a good foundation with medium coverage that does not cake or flake. I thought I had found one with MUFE HD High Definition Foundation in #120. The first couple of days it was ok, not great but I figured I needed to get used to using a makeup brush. Normally I use a Beauty Blender. I gave it a full week and really this is not a spectacular foundation. It flaked over dry areas no matter what primer or moisturizer I used. By the end of the day it had settled into my pores and fine lines. I could easily smooth it out but why bother. I expect a foundation to stay fresh looking for at least 8 hours.

All in all not a great foundation for combination aging skin.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2013 12:52:00 AM More reviews by christynickel01

I love this product! I have pretty uneven, normal-oily combo skin and this foundation covers so well and doesn't cake or make me break out! It's not oily or sticky and lasts me all day! I'll never use another foundation!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2013 5:18:00 AM More reviews by Bafisher13

Love. Great full coverage .. Doesn't get greasy ... Can use finger tips lasts all day.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2013 11:20:00 AM More reviews by Parisa909

For any special occassion, major life event or night out in which I know I will be photographed, I use this foundation. It photographs incredibly well, with absolutely zero flashback or that dreaded white-cast/ghost-face that happens with my other foundations that have SPF (Estee Lauder Double Wear and Revlon ColorStay are the worst culprits!). Even if your skin doesn't look that great in real life, somehow this foundation manages to make your skin look flawless on camera, blurring your imperfections. So in the photography aspect, yes, it photographs brilliantly, no worries there at all.

Now, coverage wise, it's a light-medium foundation. You can add more to get full-coverage, however 1-2 pumps will not provide coverage in the way that MAC Studio Fix Fluid, Revlon ColorStay and Estee Lauder Double Wear foundations do. 3 pumps is enough for me, 4 only if my skin is being very problematic. It does feel light on the skin, although it does take a while to 'settle' as on application it looks wet. The consistency of the foundation is a mixture of watery and cream.

Furthermore, there is the issue of longevity. I have oily-combo skin, and whenever I've worn this foundation on it's own, I've noticed that it does not last nearly as well as Double Wear, Maximum Cover or ColorStay, in actual fact it lasts around 4-5 hours before slipping off my face and t-zone. However, when I use it with a good primer underneath (Estee Lauder Matte Perfecting or Rimmel Fix & Perfect #002), setting powder (Ben Nye Neutral Set) and setting spray (Ben Nye Final Seal), I get a good 8-9 hours of longevity. For me this is NOT a foundation I can implicitly trust and rely on to last and keep my face free from shine all day. Now that we are approaching the Winter months in the UK, and my skin is drier, this foundation is increasing in longevity for me, albeit due to me powdering my t-zone, using primer and setting spray on a daily basis.

On me, I get a finish that is in between satin and matte - it is definitely not full-matte like Double Wear, Maximum Cover, ColorStay or Cinema Secrets - it has an element of dewy-ness to it. Personally I dislike too much dewy in my foundation. As mentioned earlier I have combo-oily skin and dewy to me makes my face look greasy/sweaty, I'd rather use highlighter to bring a glowy subtle shine back to my face. The dewy effect is lost on me anyway since I powder my t-zone and chin. Because I apply with a BeautyBlender, I haven't noticed it being cakey or blotchy, but I make sure to apply when my moisturiser and primer have had time to fully sink in to my skin.

Another positive aspect of this foundation is that I was very easily able to find my perfect match. I am #120 'Soft Sand', described as "for medium-light skin with yellow undertones". In MAC terms this is NC20-25. I have strong yellow-olive undertones to my skin, and I'm very pleased that this shade is yellow-toned too. I really like the packaging too, the pump is strong and very efficient, not to mention hygienic.

Overall, whilst the foundation does not have the longevity nor coverage of Double Wear, Maximum Cover, ColorStay or Cinema Secrets, with a little more effort via primer, powder and setting spray I can increase these elements. It photographs incredibly well and I found my perfect match, so I will keep repurchasing it, not for everyday wear but for those times in my life I know I'll be photographed - I will be wearing it to my university graduation on Tuesday!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2013 10:53:00 AM More reviews by kitkat1829

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Pros: Excellent color range, beautiful coverage and lasted for hrs.

Cons: I can see this working well for someone with oily, combination or even slightly dry skin. My skin is insanely dry and this was a problem (even with moisturized skin). If my skin was more hydrated, I would love it. If you are very dry all over, it most likely won't work.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2013 12:16:00 PM More reviews by ComaGray

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

It's OK. It's a medium, buildable coverage. Like another reviewer said, it looks good some days and not so great on others. Not my favorite, but not bad. I would not purchase again, though.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2013 10:31:00 PM More reviews by milevamaric

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

UGK!

I've been having skin issues since early May. I had recently switched to a Dermalogica skin cream that was causing my LORAC foundation to ball-up. Instead of switching only my moisturizer, I mistakenly switched my foundation. (My local Sephora was not selling LORAC, and I didn't want to wait to order online.)

Anyway, big mistake, double mistake. I've been using the MUFE HD foundation since early June, and I started breaking out. All this time I've been thinking it was my moisturizers and toners. I've been switching far too much and causing comprehensive havoc. Anyway, I was hooked on attempting to like this foundation because the shade matched my skin perfectly.

I was even willing to put aside the fact that the foundation only lasted 2 to 3 hours (and looked very good during those hours) maximum. However, I now realize I was blinded, and that my clogged and enlarged pores and left cheek breakout are absolutely caused by this poor foundation. (I know this because I have stopped switching products and have used scientific process and deduction to conclude this.)

I will never buy this again. I am even going to switch the MUFE concealer that I've been using for years, pre-breakout, as a precaution.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2013 6:33:00 PM More reviews by KelseyRiana

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this foundation! As a new member to the foundation community I would definitely say I now know why people use it. I used to wear bb cream, to green tinted primers (as I have some redness), to wearing concealer pretty much all over my face and I have to say all of those have never left my face so smooth, and even. I have dry skin, especially in the winter. I have read that those with dry skin should not invest in this foundation but I would say it is really all up to your own skin and if you moisturize! With that said, I will say it does sink into some of my pores and fine lines but it is very minimal and definitely an improvement in my eyes compared to other methods I listed above! So give it a try, and if you don't like it than at least you know!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2013 4:54:00 AM More reviews by Merymakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

guys, honestly, this foundation is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

It does wonders on my combination to oily skin. It's super lightweight so it just feels like a second skin. It has a mattifying effect that will give you a velvety finish that won't wash you out nor end up by being cakey. It's staying power on me it's pretty amazing and I also wear my hd primer underneath and my make up stays super flawless from 9am to 9pm.

My colour is 117/ marble and I must say that the first time I tested it it was on a sephora counter and firstly it looked amazing but two hours after I bought it, the foundation oxidised on me and the ended up by being two shades darker. Of course I freaked out but it never happened again because I apply it wrist after I cleanse my face deeply and moisturize. If this foundation mixes with your natural oils it will probably end up by oxidising so be careful with that!

On the other hand... All right you gals with dry or even combination to dry skin.... STAY AWAY FROM THIS FOUNDATION. It will look cakey and Ashey on you and it will cling on your dry patches and it will make you look like if you were a hundred years old....

Said that I have to say this is overall a great foundation for those who are more on the oily side. What I don't like as much is the price...$$$$$$$$$$... But I guess it's worth the money

Hope this was helpful!!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2013 11:57:00 PM More reviews by jtbeautyx3

I seriously thought I would not like this foundation because I heard mixed reviews - you either love it or you don't. I'm lucky to have normal skin, occasionally dry. But for the part, I don't have problems with foundations. It looks really nice when first applied with RT Expert Face brush (sigma flat top will not cut it). Since this isn't the fullest coverage foundation, I just set it with MSF natural and I'm good to go. It's not the BEST foundation I've ever used but it is quite nice and light weight on the skin. Throughout the day the red spots will start to show first. Longevity is about 7-8 hours