Graftobian HD CREME FOUNDATIONS, 64 SHADES

4.1

on 10/25/2009 12:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

If you have difficult-to-match skin or need medium-to-full coverage without cakiness, you owe it to yourself to sample Graftobian Hi-Def Creme. You will be stunned at the quality and thrilled with the price. The only cons: You will probably have to buy on-line (samples are available from www.camerareadycosmetics.com and www.paintandpowderstore.com) and you will need to train yourself to use FAR LESS of this product than cream lines from department store brands.

SHADES: 53:18 warm (yellow undertones), 20 neutral (yellow and pink undertones) and 15 cool (pink undertones). Palettes of five shades each are available. [EDITED to add: Graftobian has added five very light foundation colors, two cool, two neutral and one warm. You can get all five in a slim Ultra-Lites palette.] Of the pro lines I sampled (Graftobian, RCMA, Joe Blasco and Cinema Secrets), I had the easiest time finding a match for my NC10 skin in Graftobian. I mix the two lightest warm shades (Graceful Swan/Ultra Fair 1 and Ingenue/Ultra Fair 3). Graceful Swan is equivalent to C15 and Ingenue to NC15, according to Graftobian. I've never seen a C15 foundation, but I can say Graceful Swan is lighter and slightly more neutral than Ingenue.

PACKAGING: 1/2-ounce pot with a clear, screw-top lid. $11-$12. I'm guessing a pot would last close to a year. You use that little. I scoop a dab out of my two colors (using the Graftobian single-ended spatula, available separately) and blend on the stainless steel bottom of an old e.l.f. palette.

PRODUCT: This is creamier than most stick foundations but a little stiffer than some jarred mousse foundations. Graftobian is also creamier than RCMA and Joe Blasco. This is not thick stage makeup. No scent that I can detect.

APPLICATION TIPS: This is engineered to work for HDTV, where any streaking or unevenness of application is obvious and where shine is a no-no. It's also highly pigmented, far more than any department store brand I've tried (but similar to CoverFX). It is micronized pigment in a base that will allow it to spread very thinly and stay in place remarkably well. That's it. No built-in primer, no sunscreen, no antioxidants, no reflective finish, no skincare ingredients, nothing. It's pigment, period. So if you WANT sunscreen, antioxidants, etc., you'll have to add that to your routine with your moisturizer or primer. That makes Hi-Def very flexible for different skintypes, but it's worth remembering if you don't like the finish/application/wear.

Skin prep is critical. The only time I haven't liked Hi-Def is when I've been excessively flaky from Renova and I didn't take the time to use a rich enough moisturizer. You'll want to keep your skin exfoliated and hydrated. You might also discover that your skin prep routine needs a little adjustment, whether to add a moisturizer or a mattifier or whatever. That's true of any foundation -- one formula might need a different moisturizer/primer than another -- but really obvious with such a pigmented product as this.

I get a lasting matte-satin finish on my slightly dry skin. I dab tiny amounts over my melasma and other unevenness with my fingertips and then smooth outward with a makeup wedge I've dampened with Cinema Secrets moisturizing spray. I've also used just water. I can't overstate how little you need -- a small pea will cover your face. This stuff is pigmented; I sometimes add a dab more over my melasma when it's really acting up, but I need no more. When I get the amount right, this is virtually invisible on the skin, far less visible than any liquid foundation I've tried. A little care and precision really helps with application. I don't think this is a two-second, smear it on and go foundation -- but the results are worth the extra minute or two of application and buffing.

I set this with RCMA no-color setting powder; you'll want something very finely milled to avoid ruining the naturalness of the finish. Often I don't powder at all, though YMMV. I also like to spray my face with the CS moisturizing spray after I've finished my makeup -- that seems to melt the color right into my skin.

Lately, I often mix Hi-Def with my sunscreen or my primer (or both!) and apply that way for a sheer effect. I also love mixing the Hi-Def with color correctors -- it's very blendable. Graftobian makes a palette of neutralizers in the same Hi-Def cream base -- it puts the MUFE palette, which costs nearly twice as much, to shame.

In addition to www.camerareadycosmetics.com and www.paintandpowderstore, you can buy the whole line at www.graftobian.com (no samples though).

INGREDIENTS: Caprylic/Capric/Triglyceride, Octyl Palmitate, Carnauba Wax, Petrolatum, Lanolin Oil, Bees Wax, Ozokerite Wax, Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol, PTFE, BHA, Silica, Phenoxyethanol, Isopropylparaben, Isobutylparaben, N-Butylparaben. May contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Talc, Ultramarines.

on 6/24/2009 4:12:00 PM

This gem has become my go-to foundation. It has a gorgeous creamy texture that provides excellent buildable coverage while not looking heavy.
I expected to shelve this foundation as the weather warmed up in favor of something oil-free or long wearing as I live in hot, humid South Carolina but I am still loving it. It wears better than powder foundation and does not make my skin feel greasy. It makes my skin look silky and luminous and naturally beautiful. I love Graftobian!

I ordered this online from Camera Ready Cosmetics which is really great. quick shipping, great customer service.

on 5/30/2009 8:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

I bought this palette in Warm #1. I am a mix of Vixen and Ingenue. I really like this cream foundation. I alternate between this, my RCMA Colour Process and my Cinema Secrets. I think this is my favourite among the three with RCMA being a close second. The CS is good too, but I find it a little too creamy which makes it so easy to over apply.

on 5/21/2009 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I wear Showstopper and that is Olive Beige #3 and I also own Graftobian's Neutral #2 Hi-def Creme Palette as well. I love that the foundation does offer a wonderful array of true tone-matching shades. Also, the foundation does provide good coverage and does look highly natural on the face after application. However, Graftobian's Hi-Def creme foundations do have oils and wax in them. And, as a result, it I do find that the only time that I can wear this foundation on my combination-to-oily skin without having to constantly keep powdering my face is when the weather is cool/cold out.

This product combined with a good oil controlling setting powder over it does provide a very natural, flawless look to one's face. Which is why, I can certainly see why it is used alot for providing a professional makeup look .

on 5/12/2009 4:08:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This is a pretty good foundation (and very inexpensive, too!). I bought the colour bombshell (the fairest of the neutral shades), and it matches my skin tone perfectly. The only drawback is that it wears off very quickly, and usually in blotches. By the end of the day, I have some left on my cheek, but maybe not my jaw, and powdering doesn't seem to help the staying power.

on 5/4/2009 4:29:00 PM

When you first put this on it is beautiful but then disappears within the hour. Color selection is great and believable. Feels uncomfortable. Would be great for a photographs. I read somewhere this is the covergirl of theaterical makeup.

on 1/25/2009 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Well... huh. This foundation honestly would be perfect if it did not contain petrolatum -- but it's not a moisturizer, it's makeup. It would sit on top of the moisturizer anyway! (Why yes, I do prefer organic, all-natural skin care.) While that one ingredient may give me pause, the color I chose is absolutely perfect. I have Bombshell, which is the lightest shade in the Neutral category. It is comparable to Cinema Secret's 601-18 (a neutralizer and yellow-based highlighter). Bombshell is a very pale neutral ivory with a touch of yellow. This would describe my complexion.
As for the formula, all I can say is WOW. Maybe it is the combination of waxes, silica, and petrolatum, but the coverage is extraordinary. Truly flawless. My face looks airbrushed. Creamy and soft, like silk. I mean, I have never had a foundation give this kind of coverage, and I have used Ben Nye and Cinema Secrets. While I love those two brands, I think Graftobian is better for its concealing power. I really could see myself on high definition television in this makeup. Most of the reviews here say that this foundation does not cause breakouts or clogged pores, which are usually attributed to petrolatum, so I am definitely willing to keep Bombshell in my makeup bag.

on 6/26/2008 3:51:00 PM

This is my choice foundation for in-front-of-the-camera makeup. HD camera, no less, which shows up to 6x that of what you can see with your eyes. Yeah, pretty scary. But this foundation passes quite well as real skin.

Shades-- Shade range is wonderful. They have cools, neutrals and warms, from the fairest of them all that could match Snow White's face, to the darkest, richest deep skintones. They even have specialty colors for fantasy, but I don't use those and won't get into them too much.

Application-- I personally like to apply this with my spatula and blend outward with my fingers and a damp sponge. The cream is almost like a liquid when it heats up, and yet it has near full coverage.

Price-- You can get a palette with five shades for $20, or a half ounce screw-top compact for $10.

Skintypes-- This does surprisingly well on oily skin and doesn't melt off from hot lights or hot weather. It's fine on dry and normal skin, although dry skin with flakes tend to dislike this foundation.

Complaints-- My only complaint is that the foundation accentuates dry flaky areas of the face... horrible for HD, which it's designed for. So you need to pack on moisturizer and sometimes use a primer. For personal use, use scrubs and AHA to exfoliate the dead skin, then use serums and moisturizers to keep the skin hydrated. Minus one point for this problem.

continued >>

on 4/21/2008 10:28:00 AM

You got a huge amount of product for the money, considering you only need a tiny bit everytime. The texture is not dry or hard to spread out as some creme fundation, however it is very difficult to blend it evenly. It shows all my dry flakes and my skin appear very rough upon applying it.

I would not purchase it again for sure.

on 3/25/2008 10:23:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Good colour range, good coverage, cheap. Makes my skin look rough, highlights flakes and not long lasting.

Popular Crème Foundations