July 26, 2014 | 1199 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2009 1:52:00 PM More reviews by heeji16

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I love this product as a primer. It is great under a light dusting of powder or under liquid foundation. I don't have oily skin but I find that it is quite oily/dewy alone. But with a little bit of powder, a little bit of laguna and some pink lipstick, I'm ready to go! I actually really like this product. It smoothes out my face for a nice clean canvas for my makeup and it has SPF. I'm not in the sun much, but I feel SPF is a must in makeup! I would not recommend alone, but with any kind of powder to set it I recommend to all! Will definitely be purchasing again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2009 11:38:00 PM More reviews by grace999

I'm Asian and I have combination skin. I've tried some department stores brand like Shiseido Anessa sunscreen before and find that it irritates my skin very much. I've been using Clinique's city block SPF 25 sunscreen for more than 1 year and have repurchased it once. I still find that it's the best sunscreen I've ever used and is suitable for my combination + sensitive skin. I don't get break-outs or red patches after wearing it for more than 8 hours everyday, although occasionally some pimples might occur on my cheeks but it's nothing serious. I love it as it uses physical sunblocking ingrediants rather than chemical sunblocking ingrediants like neutrogena or other drug store brands does. Physical sunblocking active ingrediants include Iron oxide, Titanium dioxide that can minimize the harm done to skin while giving you a thorough sunblock. Physical sunblocking reflects the UVA/UVB rays while chemcial sunblocking absorbs UVA/UVB rays. Clinique has a good and long history of making physical sunblocking sunscreens and I think it's a very trustworthy brand. The price is acceptable and is lower than other big department store's brands like Shiseido, Lancome, etc. which sometimes work less as ideal as Clinique does.
This sunscreen evens out my skin tone but makes my face looks a bit pearly white due to the sunscreen ingrediants. When you first apply it on the face, you might find it a bit thick and shiny, but the product is actually oil-free. You might need to wait for a while for it to sink in, then you put on some powder on top to set the look. I use Clinique's stay-matte powder, which is perfect as a finishing touch after this sheer block sunscreen. Besides, this stay-matte powder controls shine and only gives a very very light coverage, making you look very natural like with no make-up on. Anyway, I'd recommend this sunscreen to people who have hard times finding a good sunscreen for their easily-irritated skin like mine.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2009 11:35:00 AM More reviews by Saraharas

This product is quite thick and pasty-looking straight out of the tube when you first put it on your face, but it sinks in in a few moments and leaves skin soft and matte, not greasy or silicone-slippery at all. And although this is not a primer per say, it works well as one because when I put my foundation on over it, my foundation looks nice for the rest of the day. Does not irritate or cause breakouts.

However, my mother, who has darker skin than me (I'm an NC25, she's NC40ish), says she finds that it leaves a whitish cast on her face, so I don't know that this would be good for darker skins.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2009 2:34:00 AM More reviews by zzhan616

very oily
others is all right
you cannot expect a sunscreen to moisture, to white, its function is to block the sunlight. in this way I think it runs well
although it is a little bit oily, I use it for facial sunscreen, and with my MAC powder my doesn't look very shiny, so I think it is acceptable.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2009 8:50:00 AM More reviews by winterfairy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great product. I was scared when I applied it for the first time because it made my face look terrible - so oily and shiny. I've waited more than half an hour to sink in, but no - shine was there and some unpleasant sticky feeling. But with loose powder on top - it turned out to be fantastic product - better primer than all the others I've tried, very good sunscreen and I hope it has enough antioxidants for my 30+ skin. No breakouts and no blackheads, which is great.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2009 11:38:00 AM More reviews by Safin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Actually this sunscreen is doing a very good job.
It blends in nice, it is not oily and it blocks the sun very good.

Unfortunately it has con's too.
I don't like the brown colour (it stains).
It looks awful when you start to sweat (with sports), it becomes sort of caky/granular.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/16/2009 8:45:00 PM More reviews by ally92

It is a great makeup primer, it makes my skin nice and smooth and keeps it from getting too oily. It helped my makeup stay on all day. I don't really use it for sun protection so that feels like its just a bonus even though its the main purpose.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2009 8:52:00 AM More reviews by emmaon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

One of the products I use everyday, mild regrets I didn't get the higher SPF- but I did by it in November!

A nice base for make up, doesn't break me out and keeps me pretty oil free (not talking miracles). Maybe a bit thick- definately needs time to soak in before applying foundation etc. A little goes a long way, I use about a (largeish) pea sized amount and buff it in with my 109.

Would probably repurchase, maybe in SPF 40.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2009 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Kay789

Overall Rating 3.5
Price 4
Packaging Quality 3
Would you buy this product again? Yes

To me, this does the job, it's not bad but not my favourite. It;s not easy for me finding the best face sunblocks that are eco-friendly, doesn't break me out, is not too greasy, that is really effective etc. I use this one exclusively for my face and I like it more than the cityblock 50 which makes my face white and is very greasy. However, 25 is not enough for me since my face is significantly lighter than my body and it is very sensitive to the sun. I use this when lighter protection is appropriate for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2009 12:40:00 PM More reviews by milkymoo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I love-hate this sunblock. Yes, it's a sunblock, since it only consists of physical blockers. The tint looks really good on my skin; it evens out my ruddy skin pretty well. My super reactive skin doesn't scream at all. The sun protection is very reliable too, since I don't get burn at all when using this. If you look at the ingredients list, it contains a whooping number of antioxidants. HOWEVER, it transfers to things that touch your face. It isn't waterproof; it turns ugly when you're sweating, trust me. Speaking about sweating, while using this my face sometimes itches when I'm perspiring.