October 2, 2014 | 962 users online

Powder - Merle Norman - Luxiva Purely Mineral Makeup

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2007 6:57:00 AM More reviews by princessgracie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have to say that I love this product! I have also tried the other mineral makeups out there, and I broke out as well. Jane Iredale, Bare Escentuals left me with a rash like none other. I was itching within seconds of the makeup artist completing the makeover. With this, I can go all day and not a spot of redness. I prefer it to any of the MAC products or Lancome that I usually use. I do wish that they had a travel case or something like the BE, I was going to buy one the other day at Sephora, but almost had a heart attack when I saw that they were over $30. Would be cheaper just to buy another foundation and schlep it around in my purse. Anyway, by far the best stuff I have used in a long time!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2007 12:32:00 AM More reviews by mrsgunno

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is by far the best mineral makeup I have ever used (I've tried BE, Everyday Mineral, PUR, Joelle, Jane Iredale, Almay, and Wet-n-Wild). This makeup provides a flawless, glowing (not shiny) coverage and can be used as a concealer also with no touchups needed during a 9-hour workday. You have to experiment a little with the colors (I'm a redhead with light skin, freckles, and hazel eyes and my match is the L60). The price of this makeup is also wonderful, as you get a huge amount for your $$$. Another plus is the container and lid are large enough (unlike some other MM brands) to get your brush into without doing a juggling act to keep from dropping it when dipping your brush. Give this a shot, you won't be sorry. Love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2007 11:01:00 PM More reviews by nancyjeanwelch

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a wonderful mineral powder foundation. It has wonderful buildable coverage and it looks super natural. I have fine lines and acne scars so my face is far from perfect. With this foundation it actually looks flawless in outdoor lighting. Great product.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2007 5:34:00 PM More reviews by cflah3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been wearing this for a month now, and decided it was time to review. I absolutely love it! I bought it based on the opinions here after not being impressed by Bare Minerals. It feels less greasy to me than BM, and I am now converted to mineral makeup instead of matte liquid foundation. Because I was wearing Revlon Colorstay prior to this, it took me awhile to get used to the shimmer. I felt so shiny at first in comparison to liquid, but am used to it now and feel it does give a healthy (not shiny) glow. I find it gives great coverage and evens out the skintone while providing a natural look.

A few tips I have found to be helpful---1) wear a silicone primer underneath to help grab the product and minimize pores. 2) put your concealer on first before the MN makeup, otherwise it might smear if you try to apply concealer afterwards and don't give it time to set. 3) I take a square of tissue and place the MN on top in the morning while I am pouring some into the cap. After applying it, I can just throw the tissue away and have zero mess on the counter. 4) less is more -- I can't emphasize that enough. I made so many mistakes my first week of application that I hope to prevent others from looking as "cakey" as I did. 5) And last, it will show any flakes on your skin, so moisturizing with this is a must.

For the record, I have oily, large-pored skin that is prone to acne. I have found after wearing this for a month instead of liquid, my pores are not as clogged.

Hope this is helpful, I know I am thankful to reviewers here on MUA!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2007 1:50:00 PM More reviews by hanksmom

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

So far, so good! Just bought the product a few days ago and am loving it so far. I have light olive skin with yellow undertones - the L60 is a great match for my skin. The make-up is light and very natural looking, but you can use more in the evening for a more "made-up" look. There is a very suble glow that comes with this product - makes my skin look soft and fresh - great for putting life into dead looking skin. I'm sold!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2007 3:26:00 PM More reviews by cherity81

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love this product and I will continue to use it for years! I have oily acne prone skin and i think this product is actually improving the quality of my skin! No more breakouts! I love it and reccomend it to almost anyone. i get sooo many compliments about my skin since I have been using this. I also use the mineral blush that just came out! I am so happy with it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2007 4:54:00 PM More reviews by jew2w

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this foundation, I cannot believe how good the coverage is! I also apply it with the MN coverup concealer.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/29/2007 11:30:00 AM More reviews by gingereg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Even though I'm working at a Merle Norman store and should love this product, I think it's just okay. My issue is with the color selection and the shimmer. The coverage is okay, not as good as BE for me, but I have to mix two different shades to get a shade that somewhat works on my skin. And I have very oily skin so the last thing I need is shimmer on my face. I look shiny all day when I wear the MN Minerals. It works great for some people, but not everyone...you just have to try it I guess. I am excited to try the mineral cheeks whenever those come out...I just hope they don't have shimmer. AAAGGGHH...I'm not 13 anymore-NO SHIMMER!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2007 11:54:00 AM More reviews by jdesq

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was compelled to buy Luxiva Purely Mineral Makeup after seeing reviews here. I am very happy that I did. I am a fair-complexioned black woman and the salesperson directed me to shade ML80. I couldn't get the right shade with Bare Minerals (either too light and ashy looking or too dark), but the Luxiva is pretty perfect. I love the price for the amount that you get. I apply for pretty heavy coverage and I still have a ton of product left after about six months of daily use. The Luxiva feels really good on the skin, very weightless, no itch like with Bare Minerals, and no sparkle either- just nice matte coverage for me. The only thing I don't like is the Merle Norman brush that I bought to apply the Luxiva- it doesn't give me the coverage that I like. I use my Bare Minerals large kabuki brush,and buff, and it applies the Luxiva perfectly.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2007 10:44:00 PM More reviews by bluedevil

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got the lightest color L20 as I am super-pale. It does have a yellow/peachy hue, and is actually lighter on the skin that appears in the container, but just does not offer enough coverage and too much of my real skin shows through (I know that is the idea of "natural" makeup, but unfortunately, I need some coverage). I tried using a flocked sponge and layering for more coverage without success. Just when I thought it was going to collect dust on my counter, I decided to mix a little sample with half L20 and half BE Fair (which is too pink for me), and volia....I have a perfect match! I get medium to full coverage when applied with my flat-topped mmu brush and my skin looks smooth and even-toned. I pat on some MUFE Super Matte loose powder both under and over my mmu to lock it in place, and it holds up really well on my very oily skin without seperating. I tried every mmu under the sun, and this is a good combination.