October 22, 2014 | 1225 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2012 7:39:00 AM More reviews by PrettyL

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just picked a jar of this up at my local health food store (cold pressed, extra virgin, 4 for 200 mL in Germany). I have dry skin with exzema patches that get worse in very cold weather and this is so lovely for softening, smoothing, and protecting dry, irritated skin! It has a lovely but subtle coconutty scent. After only a few uses my worst exzema patches seem to be doing a lot better, and this doesn't irritate them at all, unlike many other moisturizers out there. I doubt this will actually cure it as I've had it all my life, but my skin is in pretty much the best condition it's ever been, without having to use steroid creams. I highly recommend it! Bonus, applying this with my fingertips means that my cuticles get a luxe treatment at the same time.

Bonus green thing: Jar is glass and therefore recyclable.

I haven't tried this on my face so can't comment on breakouts.

Tip: don't heat it up TOO much. I put this on the radiator going full blast and instead of just softening, it turned the consistency of water. It doesn't need much heat. It melts under just the touch of my fingers. When I read that people warmed this up in their hands, I pictured a rather tedious process that involved a lot of rubbing, but this is more like actual butter, it melts immediately upon contact.

Cheap! Effective! Natural! Luxurious feel and scent! Try it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2012 5:38:00 PM More reviews by VeryCherryBaby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Wonderful multi-use product! I use it daily.

I know a lot of people rave about oil cleansing or using this as a facial moisturizer, but my skin is crazy sensitive so I can't use it that way. I DO use it as an eye makeup remover though, and it is wonderful! It's solid in the jar but melts on skin contact, and it removes even my waterproof mascara easily.

I also use this as a deep conditioner for my hair. I work it through the bottom half of my hair, braid it, go to bed, and I rinse it out in the mornings (or later in the day if I don't have to go anywhere.) When I rinse it out, my hair is ridiculously soft and shiny. I do this about two or three times a month.

Oh, and it's also great to cook with!

This is a must-have item in my house.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 9:10:00 AM More reviews by viennah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use this is my hair. It's very nice, but more difficult to washout compare to other oils, with no other major differences other than it is heavier and better for frizzy hair. But it makes my hair soft and healthy. I microwave a small glass of coconut oil for 30 seconds, put it all over my scalp and dry hair. I wait several hours and wash out with a bit of shampoo. Voila!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2012 2:25:00 PM More reviews by Janay

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Like some of the reviewers, coconut oil is my HG product for some purposes but does poorly for other uses. It works great as a moisturizer for my legs, feet, elbows, and hands. I like to rub it into my feet, then put on an old pair of socks before going to bed - guarantees very soft feet by the morning. Ounce for ounce, coconut oil goes much farther and is much cheaper than expensive body moisturizers. But I have to keep it away from my acne-prone face, shoulders, and back or I will get a miserable cystic acne flare-up. So even though coconut oil would probably be great on my hair, I cannot use it for that purpose either. And the smell - well, I like it but can understand that it might not be to everyone's liking.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2012 9:45:00 AM More reviews by kokosboll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

LOVE IT. I use a pea-sized amount on my face before I put on my regular moisturizer, and it keeps my skin in top condition. At this time of the year the weather is pretty cold and windy where I live and Coconut Oil saves the day/cheeks/nose/...

Also use it to shave my legs, cook, put a tiny bit in wet hair for moisture, and on any rashes or irritated skin.

Have not experienced any congestion, and my skin turns into a pebbly beach whenever I put anything funky on it. I have dry, sensitive skin prone to congestion (yay combo), and this helps with both oily- and dryness. Magic. Go buy some - extra virgin, organic and Fair Trade.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2012 3:06:00 PM More reviews by casjen54

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this stuff, wish I had found it years ago. I have a lot of Sjogren's Syndrome symptoms, dry skin, eyes, hair, you name it, and coconut oil works for me as a conditioner and as a body moisturizer, (I mix it with olive oil for this, and only at night, but it really helps my super dry skin) A little dab mixed with my moisturizer gives my skin a nice glow. And as others have said, it works very well as a personal lubricant. Great lip gloss, also good body scrub mixed with sea salt.
I keep another jar in the kitchen, and ingest a couple of teaspoons as well as spreading it on toast, etc. The more I read about the many uses, the happier I am that I found this. I buy the unrefined Spectrum brand in a glass jar at the nearby health food store, and I am just never without it anymore. I love the smell!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2012 9:45:00 PM More reviews by lulu94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Best. Makeup remover. Ever. It gets everything and anything off. I use it to remove my eye makeup super fast and gently. Smells yummy, and SO cheap because you need hardly any to get everything off. I will never use anything else - why bother when the best is cheap and all natural?!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2012 9:20:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

Have used for years, stopped for a couple of yrs, back onto it for past few months. Holy Grail product. Use it for cooking also, but that's a separate jar--a 10 dollar kind from Shopper's Drug mart (.
But I found a better one for beauty purposes--at Whole Foods. It is raw, organic, extra virgin, and has a lovely, mild, coconut aroma. (around 30 dollars for a large jar).
Not gonna put the company's name as I am sure there are other brands out there like it.
It absorbs and moisturizes better than the other one that I use only for cooking.
For face/neck: Don't need much. Less than 1/4 tspn. I mix it with organic E.V.Olive oil, about half and half, to put on my face after cleansing. Coconut oil / olive oil are good alone, but EXCELLENT when used together, in my experience. I actually find them pore-clogging on their own, but not together--strange, no? Normally wipe off with warm water/paper towel. Brightens, moisturizes, and cleans my face in one go. Add moisturizer for extra boost, on top.
For body: absorbs quickly, lasting moisture, smells good. These days i have it all mixed up in a Palmer's cocoa butter jar, with EVOO as well. It needs a little stir to get all three mixed every time; however, the combined fragrance of the cocoa butter, coconut, and mild olive scent, is really really beautiful. It works really well for soothing pregnancy stretch marks.
For hair: Massaged into scalp every week, left in overnight, great. Scalp no longer itchy/dry, hair is bouncier, doesn't break so quickly.

8 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2012 11:45:00 AM More reviews by jannaaikadeja

This is the holy grail for my hair. I just put this in my hair, let it sit for some minutes and wash it afterwards with shampoo + conditioner combined. I combined them so I won't take much time and for the coconut oil not to be all washed in my hair. It makes my hair so smooth, soft, less frizzy and easy to style. It makes my hair straight if I want it to be straight and it makes my hair curly if I want it to be. If i want it to be straight I just comb it carefully and if I want it to be curly, I'll just curl it using my hands and it's curly already :D I heard it's good for shaving. I will have to see that too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2012 12:57:00 AM More reviews by dawnzartandlife

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using EVCO as a mask in the shower and then shampooing it out, it is great for that. Smells great, and adds a lot of healthy moisture to my hair. I just read some reviews and will try it for shaving my legs, had not thought of that before. I bought at Trader Joes for organic EVCO. Will update after the shaving experiment.