April 16, 2014 | 1975 users online

Cleansers - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2010 9:13:00 AM More reviews by djsaphira

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I can't believe I forgot to review this. I've been using EVCO for a few months now, since I starting using Henna on my hair (which I need a separate review for, as that is amazing too!). Using this as a weekly deep treatment has definitely helped strengthen my fragile, baby-fine hair, and lessened my scalp dryness this past winter. It also works incredibly well as an emergency make-up remover, though I don't use it often as I made my own cleansing oil blend specifically for that purpose.
I also use EVCO as a hand/cuticle moisturizer, and for my super dry legs. My skin sucks this stuff up like water, which, since there are no parabens, chemicals, or other types of preservatives, makes me not mind reapplying so much.
Overall, a certain rebuy, if only for use on my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2010 11:48:00 PM More reviews by maddios

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Love.
Hair: I'm working out the kinks of using this as a conditioning treatment, but I can tell you that for my curly/wavy hair it works great as a leave-in/defining product. I take a very, very small amount and apply to damp ends. When it dries, the curl is soft, shiny and bouncy.
Skin: Takes a while to sink in, but I usually just don't worry about it and throw my clothes on. It works so well for my keratosis pilaris, and it seems to even out my skin tone all over my body! It's so softening and it smells really nice.
Dog?: This is odd, but my dog was having issues with dandruff and extreme shedding. I tried giving him a massage once weekly with coconut oil and then washing with shampoo, in addition to giving him a little coconut oil supplement every day. (This is based on stuff I've read online, I didn't just start playing chemist with my puppy!) His shedding has gotten so much better, and his coat is shiny and no longer flakey. Also, his digestion is better!

My dog and I can finally share beauty products. What a happy, strange day.

23 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2010 3:53:00 PM More reviews by lggordon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Well, I've used this in different ways: as a scalp moisturizer (but it's hard to wash out) and as a hand lotion and a body lotion and I like it okay.
So now I'm using it as a facial cleanser (what I do is at night I wet my face and then rub the CO on and then take my warm--not hot--wet washcloth and drape it over my face for a few moments and then pat my face. I might put on some Olive Oil if my skin feels dry). My acne is getting better and my face seems to be toned (that is, less red or splotchy). It's also less oily and seems more normal. My pores are also seeming smaller (because I don't think you can completely close pores once they've become enlarged and damaged as mine have but I could be wrong). I also find that my hands are softer after using this because I rub the excess oil on the backs of my hands.
I'll keep using it because it's only been a few days and sometimes it takes a while for skin to show signs (I think it takes 30 days for new skin to show or for a regeneration period...and most detox diets take about 30 days so it seems a good number of days to wait and see). I have no problems with it so I don't see why I shouldn't keep using it--it removes makeup better than Cetaphil and doesn't dry my skin out like every other cleanser/soap does. And I don't need to rinse my face afterwards and that's a time saver (yay).
I like the smell too. It makes me want to go to the beach (which could make you depressed if it's winter and you are flat broke haha). It'll last a long time and you can eat it! Haha!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2010 4:59:00 PM More reviews by Noboho

This is a wonder product and my relationship with it has become a love story! I have been reading about the virtues of virgin coconut oil for quite some time. Last week I finally got around to picking some up at Whole Foods. I have been using this in so many ways! First, I've been applying it to my hair when it's dry, just to add a little moisture to the strands. Apparently it's great for losing weight, and who doesn't want to be thinner? I drop a tsp amount into my daily smoothie. I use it as a pre-shampoo treatment, by coating my strands in it and letting it sit for atleast 45 minutes. A great method is to leave it on for 30 minutes without heat, then 15 minutes with heat. A warm towel around the head is best. Then I wash and condition as usual. It restores the life and moisture in my hair. I also slather this on my body sometimes to nourish and hydrate my skin after a shower. It leaves you so soft! It puts other body oils to shame. I will repurchase. Love that it's natural, that's a huge bonus in my book. I believe this set me back about $8 for a large jar and it should surely last me awhile.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2010 1:19:00 PM More reviews by Justicet2009

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used this for my over processed hair. What a conditioner. My hair looked and felt amazing. Tastes great too. Will try on my skin next and update review.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2010 9:55:00 AM More reviews by hlh25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a HG product for my hair. I have bonde hair that is long, colored, dries out easily and tends to frizz. After I take a shower, I rub a dime-size amount of coconut oil (a little goes a long way) between my hands and apply it to my damp hair, and especially my ends. Then I use a comb to make sure the coconut oil is spread through evenly. I always let my hair air dry in a braid or a messy bun, and when I take it out I get these beautiful, healthy, frizz-free waves and it looks like I have virgin hair again. I'm so glad that I don't have to bother with expensive sticky hair serums anymore. Coconut oil also works well as a body moisturizer (I wouldn't use it on my face because I am so acne-prone), excellent as an eye makeup remover, and has endless uses. A huge tub of it is relatively cheap too, and will last forever.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2010 3:22:00 PM More reviews by brittbrat118820

This stuff has been a miracle for my hair! My hair is very fine but dry and frizzy from heat styling it and coloring it blond. I use coconut oil on my hair overnight then I shampoo and condition in the morning. Wow it has made such a difference! I've been using it about 2x/week for about a month and my hair is now soft, shiny, and bouncy=) This stuff is the real deal, better than any deep conditioner I've tried. It still can get frizzy, but its soft now and less split ends. The best way I've found to use it is to wet my hair then warm up a bit of it in my hands untill its liquid. Then I put it on my hair and wrap it with a towel and sleep on it overnight. Some complain about the smell but to me it smells good, like an almond joy cady bar lol.
I don't use it on my face because I am acne prone, but I've used it to take off eye makeup and it works wonders for that too. I bought the organic kind from whole foods for about 13 for a big tub that will last me awhile. I highly recommend this for dry lifeless hair you must try it. You can cook with it too but I haven't yet.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2010 3:17:00 PM More reviews by tawnyinthepink

I buy this for cooking primarily...don't use as a cleanser, but do use as a hair conditioner. Works well on hair and also for cooking! Cannot use for cleanser as it makes my face oily beyond belief. I gave this 4 lippies for the numerous other things it's better for though!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2010 3:08:00 PM More reviews by tammallama

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

EDIT!!!: This on my naturally wavy dry hair is AMAZING!!! I use this pre-shampoo about once a week. I take about 6 tablespoons or so and soak my DRY hair in it from about mid-shaft to the ends. Do not put this on damp or wet hair, water and oil don't mix and therefore it will not penetrate as it should. Google the benefits of it for your hair....it has changed my hair immensly!

I bought this because I am on a hunt for an all natural moisturizer for my body, and after reading all of the rave reviews about this, I ran out and bought some....at first it was awesome, it made my skin soo supple and smooth plus it smells divine! But after about a week of use I am breaking out on my back and chest, plus I have small white bumps appearing on my upper arms. After more research on EVCO I have found it is insanley comedogenic, so it's a major NO for anyone who is acne prone!

I have special ordered some Hazelnut Oil because it is not comedogenic and has a natural astrigent...so we'll see if that works!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2010 2:51:00 PM More reviews by gommiebears

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

As a cleanser, so far it doesn't irritate my skin or cause new cystic acne to appear. It is a bit greasy but with plenty of water and a clean gauze, you can remove most of the oily residue. I still follow up with a sulfur soap because I have some old cystic acne I am trying to bring to a head. But one of these days I will use this as a cleanser without following it up with a soap.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No