Lansinoh Lanolin

4.7

100% pure lanolin

on 1/14/2010 5:46:00 PM

When I read the MUA reviews, I thought that this was pretty funny. I decided to give it a try because MUA mostly always right and I haven't found an overnight lip treatment that worked for me. I went to Target and got this in the maternity section (the section where the baby bottles are). It cost less than $9 for a 2oz bottle: a little goes a long ways! I used this nightly and within 2 nights I noticed that my lips peeled a lot less during the day! This is the only stuff that I have used that stays on all night. By the time I wake up, I can feel a film on my lips which tells me that this stuff is still working by the morning. This is bar none the best overnight lip treatment I have used. It's unscented, and the texture is sticky.

I have tried to use it on my cuticles and a little goes a long way. Even though it's sticky, it absorbs super fast. I also tried it on the bottom of my foot which was a little dry. That worked great!

Cons: the packaging is a bit embarrassing, but that's easily solved by putting a little bit in an empty pigment jar.

Update: it's been over 2 years since I have started to use this, and I still regularly use Lansinoh Lanolin as a night treatment (in fact, this is the same tube that I'm using so it does last super long). I never have to even touch my chapstick during the day and my lips have not chapped since. Definitely HG!

Great multi-tasker; highly recommend!

on 1/14/2010 9:00:00 AM

Thank you MUA. I have had severe eczema on my hands in the area between my thumb and finger. Weird, I know. Hard to shake hands when it flares up. My dermatologist prescribed a powerful cortisone cream which only helped a little. After reading the reviews on the Lansinoh Lanolin I figured, why not? OMG after one night I already can see and feel a huge difference. It is thick but so worth the effort needed to rub it in. I plan to carry it with me this winter. Only funny story (which someone else mentioned) I got a picture text from my husband who found the cream on the counter and wanted to know if I had anything to tell him (after all it is sold as a cream for nursing mothers) I told him at my age he wouldn't have found out by seeing the tube, he would have found out by the BREAKING NEWS story on every station!

on 1/14/2010 8:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this product! It is truly HG for me when it comes to moisturizing my lips. I have tried everything and this far outweighs them all. It stays on my lips but actually moisturizes rather than just sitting there. Definitely will keep repurchasing.

on 1/14/2010 8:36:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Wow wow wow!! I can't believe I've had this lying around for it's real purpose and never thought to try it on my lips and hands before. Incredible!!! My chapped hands healed overnight and my lips look fantastic. It works like a dream! It is very thick and tacky so I think I would only put it on my hands at night but lips I think you could get away with anytime. It actually stayed on my lips all night! Love love love this!!!!!

on 1/10/2010 3:45:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Okay so I thought I'd better throw in my 2 cents here on yet another great MUA find. Every winter, no matter how obsessive I am about consistently applying lotions and cream to my hands, without fail they get dry, red, and chapped... and just plain hurt. This happened yet again this year, and as I was lamenting to myself about how much my hands hurt... I suddenly remembered the great reviews I had seen for this product.

So I zipped up to Target (yes, made a special trip) and found this. Got home, and immediately applied to the backs of my hands. That was two hours ago. Yes it's goopy and looks and feels greasy on my hands, but oh my goodness... in TWO hours the redness is gone, and you can't even tell how chapped they were except for one particularly troublesome spot. I will be applying this regularly, although probably at night with gloves because it certainly doesn't sink into the skin like a lotion or hand cream. Nevertheless, if it keeps working like this... I'll be a follower for life. I'm amazing at the instant difference!! Wow. Like wow.

on 1/8/2010 9:49:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is HANDS DOWN, the BEST lip product out there!!!! Tracked it down at BABIES R US ( the ONLY benefit of suburbia is access to huge landscape-- blighting megastores) here in Manhattan (drugstores here carry only the basics, for some reason). After TWO nights of this, my lips are buttery soft, hydrated, like a baby's. Have always thought those obsessives who slather on mineral based chapsticks were actually increasing their dryness--but the 'organic', more costly balms never did anything either....this is perfection! I wear a drying fuschia lipcolor, so reapplying balm during the day is out, anyway.

I want to eat this, to bathe in it. It becomes creamy on contact, I use it on my neck and decolletage, and of course hands. It would be great if they produced a slightly thinner formula for the rest of the body.

I usually don't bother to review, but HAD to take the time to do this--fantastic find!!!! I would buy stock in their company!

on 1/8/2010 9:21:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Lanolin really is a great product all around and for many different usages. I originally bought this because I had had my son, was nursing, and did need it for chapped nipples. I was given samples of it while in the hospital with him and then when I went home I bought the full size tube (2 oz/56 grams)...but it will last you a VERY long time. Okay, so yes...I originally used it for cracked and sore nipples. Now, two years later, my son is no longer breastfed, but I still hung onto my tube. Recently I have had problems with chapped lips. I'm allergic to a lot of lip conditioning treatments, and my usual chapsticks, aquaphor, EOS balm, even vaseline weren't working. So, I pulled this out. Its really not unheard of to be used on ANY dry, chapped, cracked, sore area. Plus it is 100% natural. Its actually a fatty substance sheep excrete through their sebaceous glands to keep their wool water-proof....doesn't sound glamorous, but thats why it is such a great protectant on human flesh. And it doesn't harm the animal in ANY way when harvesting it...its simply taken from the wool after they have been sheered and before the wool is cleaned. ANYWAY, a teeny tiny pee (if even that much) does the trick. You'll find as it warms up under your finger or on your flesh you've put it on, it spreads easier. I even use this on my sons bottom when it is raw to create a barrier between his skin and the sogginess in the diaper :-) Its a great product and one I won't be without now. I guess thankgoodness I needed this in the beginning of my mommy-hood or I may not have ever thought to use it for my lips.

ah, and I also HIGHLY recommend ONLY getting Lansinoh brand Lanolin...so far it is the ONLY one that I have found that is actually pure 100% lanolin and doesn't have extras added in.

on 1/5/2010 10:58:00 AM

I use this just like vaseline or shea butter, only it's far better. It's thick, protective and moisturizing. Using overnight is best, as others have said. Fabulous for lips. When I wake up, they're hydrated and plump--which is always nice when you're over 50! Also, the squeeze tube is hygenic and easy to use. Thanks MUAers for another wonderful rec.

on 12/28/2009 2:01:00 PM

Um....WOW!!! Not much I can add to prior reviews, but IME: I usually can keep chapped lips at bay w/ Blistex or Chapstick or the like - last week, for whatever reason, nothing was working (not Vaseline, Aquaphor, coconut oil - nothing) and my lips were REALLY chapped and sore. In addition, my cuticles also decided to get really dry (again nothing helped) = I was rather miserable. Came across this review and thought to myself - no way...well YES WAY!! Got myself over to Target, bought a tube and (I still cannot believe this) overnight relief for both problems!!! 2 nights = problems solved!!! I have removed all other lip and hand tx from my nightstand! :)

It is VERY thick which is why I will probably only use overnight and I do wear gloves when using on my cuticles.

Whodathunk??? Yet another gem found via MUA!! Thank you ladies!!!

PS - my DH saw this tube and TOTALLY freaked out - no honey, I don't have any big newsflash to share! :P

on 12/21/2009 3:03:00 PM

This was yet another product I stumbled onto by accident on this sometimes-dangerous site we so love. MUA has yet to fail me - this came at a time we really needed it in the household.

When I was breastfeeding my second baby, I refused to apply anything to my extremely sore and painful nipples, so I never tried Lansinoh for that. I wish I had, though, because if it works as well for cracked nipples as it does for chapped lips (which makes this holy grail in our house now), I might have been saved from a couple of months of sheer pain.

My eight year old son is prone to chapped lips, and to make it worse, he licks his lips. During our cold Canadian winters, there's little I can do for him, other than to urge him to stop licking, leave a tube of Chapstick in his coat pocket and remind him to drink more water. The poor thing has looked like he has a third lip - the chapping has been that bad, that red.

Lansinoh to the rescue. This is very, very thick and waxy; it almost has the texture of stick glue. In a cold house, it's even worse. It can be difficult to squeeze it out of the tube, but it never hardens - it just takes some elbow grease to get it out. But boy, does it ever work. Overnight, this heals the lips fully. I can't go without this at night now, and my little guy is so grateful he no longer suffers from "third lip." Can't recommend this enough. It's a little pricier than Aquaphor, which I still use (but only during the day), but there's quite a bit of product and I can see it lasting a long time.

Popular Lip Treatments