July 28, 2014 | 1099 users online

Treatments (Face) - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 3 of 5 on 10/16/2008 10:53:00 PM More reviews by Mathilde10

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a great alternative to expensive serums out there. Like everyone here says, it's dirt cheap, easy to make, and great for your skin. However, my skin did not have such a desirable reaction. I have sensitive skin that likes to break out whenever it tries a product that may have some ingredient in it. This time, the vitamin c was just not agreeing with my skin, no matter how little the proportion I included in my recipe. So, this may be great for other people but for people like me, it may not be so good. I developed cystic acne and little whiteheads all around the frame of my face (especially on my cheeks and jaw area). I only stopped this two days ago and my skin has finally calmed down and the acne is already clearing up. And for those of you who think this was just an initial reaction. It wasn't. I stuck with the serum for almost 3 months. Just a warning that this may not be an HG product for all.

19 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2008 9:46:00 PM More reviews by chichenitza

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am so glad I found the recipes for this treatment here on Makeup Alley. I bought the pure Vitamin C crystals and the pure vegetable glycerin at Whole Foods and mix it all up every morning with distilled water using a really cheap cappuccino foaming whisk from Ikea (just as good as those pricey little cosmetics blenders) to completely disolve the crystals, then apply it with a cotton square. The skin on my face looks better than it has in years and I make enough to apply to my entire body. I am thrilled with the way this stuff works. I cannot believe I ever shelled out 100 bucks for Skinceuticals serums which smell worse and don't even feel as good on my skin.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2008 12:39:00 AM More reviews by likepaperdoves

This is so easy to make and so much more cost effective than buying expensive serums and vitamin c treatments that may give you glowing skin but do a major number on your pocketbook. My mother kept prodding me to start using vitamin c products as it was so beneficial, no "crucial", to the health and look of skin. I'm all about taking care of my skin, but scouting for a good inexpensive vitamin c product started proving to be difficult. Either products were too expensive, irritated, broke me out, or just plain didn't work. I came across the homemade vitamin c serum and I was ecstatic. Not only is this much cheaper, but I like that I can control the concentration of the vitamin c. I have sensitive skin and some vitamin c treatments were very strong and greatly irritated my face. This is controllable and just so much more straightforward. Water plus ascorbic acid. Two simple ingredients and you get the same benefits as those high end "miracle" vitamin c treatments in unnecessary costly packaging.

I bought a little amber glass bottle to store my mixture as sunlight depletes the effectiveness of the ascorbic acid.

Distilled water (I use distilled rose water as it has soothing benefits for my sensitive skin. I get this at the local grocery store in the international food aisle. It's cheap and you can get it at any grocery that sells middle eastern food ingredients.)

Ascorbic acid powder or crystals. You can find it at Vitaminshoppe or Whole Foods. I got mine at Whole Foods, their generic kind.

My vial is 1 ounce, so I add about less than 1/8 of a teaspoon. I have sensitive skin so I can't go too crazy on the ascorbic acid. I apply with a cotton pad. It's working amazingly well. My skin looks so healthy, bright, and youthful, and it's helping with the sun damage I recently got from sitting in the sun for hours (ineffective sunscreen).

To see even more benefits add a product that contains hyaluronic acid to your skin care regimen. The vitamin c and hyaluronic acid work really well together and boosts each others benefits so I've read.

39 out of 41 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2008 9:18:00 AM More reviews by BambiGirl

I am addicted to making my own cosmetics (everything from cream to toothpaste!) And the Homemade Vitamin C serum is one of my very favorites.

I find it hard to find the vitamin C powder where I live, so I use the tablets. I Buy them from Boots, and they are free of artificial colours, flavours, preservatives... etc.

For a 10% solution I mix 20 pieces of 500mg Vit C capsules with 100ml DISTILLED water.

I usually remake this every second day.

I use Vitamin E at night over a homemade topical Vitamin A treatment, and in the morning, I swab my face with the Vitamin C Serum, and pat on some Jojoba oil.

I feel like I've had a face transplant, my skin is so clear and smooth!

**EDIT** I've had a few emails about this. Sorry for not replying, i'm a bit busy. Anyways, I use dissolvable vitamin C tablets found in most drug stores like Shoppers (Canada). It's in the vitamin aisle, they are hard chalky disks that you dissolve in water and drink during cold and flu season. I suggest you buy the unflavoured/no colour added one if you can find it. But if you can only find the regular one, a little flavour on your face never hurt anyone... ;)

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2007 8:46:00 AM More reviews by TropicalBreeze

I am really ecstatic with the results of using my homemade vitamin c serum. It costs me a $1 for a month's supply and my skin looks incredible. After one week, my lines and wrinkles have softened dramatically and my skin is just glowing. Those creases between my brows from squinting have become so much smoother. I am amazed. I never thought anything could smooth those creases. I make a new batch every 3-4 days and it's so easy. I even bought the generic brand of vitamin c tablets which are super cheap. I am so excited with the results. My skin looks so much younger and I feel great. I am ecstatic about the results and this is now my HG serum.

15 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2007 9:36:00 PM More reviews by Selenite

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Homemade vitamin c serum is a cheap, homemade, and vegan lifesaver for my skin. It's pretty gratifying to mix a fresh batch every morning when the two actives, vitamin e and c only cost me about $14US. Even more gratifying when I think of all the expensive products out there claiming to be skin salvation in a bottle! Unlike many skincare products, homeamde vitamin c and e serum works.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2006 7:10:00 AM More reviews by sillysilly

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I will post some of my recipe attempts soon.

This is what's great about making your own:

dirt dirt dirt cheap
you can customize to no end to fit your own needs
you know it is fresh
you can make more of it for cheap, so you can use it all over, not just on your face. What's the point of taking good care of your face if the skin everywhere else gives you away? continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2006 6:19:00 PM More reviews by mariadd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I started using C-serums back in mid-90s with Helena Rubinstein Force C serum which came in 5, 10, 15% ascorbic acid (this product was discontinued several years ago). It was half home-made serum as they sold a serum base and ascorbic acid packed separately for max freshness, you had to mix them before use. I used this product continuously for several years and I think in terms of immediate results vit.C products have the largest impact on my skin. It becomes smooth, bright, pores become tighter etc. I also believe it helped with my acnes scares. Since Force-C serum was discontinued I used different over the counter serums (Neostarta, LRP, Body Shop), but I did not like any of them. The largest problem is that they don't seem to sink into my skin. They stay on top and oxidize and after several hours turn yellow right in fron of my eyes. So I want to use something that penetrates right away. My homemade serum comes closest to what I want C-serum to be.

For body:

20 gr L-ascorbic acid

10 gr vodka

10 gr glycerin

several drops vit. E

distilled water enough to fill in 100 ml tinted glass bottle
(To make it less moisturising, use less glycerin. Also, shake it before use to dispense vit. E)

For face:

10-20 gr L-ascorbic acid

added to the Body Shop Vit. E or Vit. C facial sprays

The reason I use Body Shop sprays for face is because they contain preservatives and stabilizing agents. However I do not want to use the chemicals all over my body, so I use more simple and less stable preparation for my body.
continued >>

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2006 12:07:00 PM More reviews by LeighS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I make my homemade Vitamin C serum with Solgar Vitamin C crystals, water and glycerin (because Propylene Glycol is hard to get in the UK). I make a 10% version using 1/4 tsp on Vit C, 1 1/2 tsps water and 1/2 tsp glycerin. I store in an amber glass dropper bottle in the fridge and throw it out after one week. I don't know if I've had any effects from it but I'm using it to see long-term results. I splash it on my face and neck after cleansing in the morning and apply moisturizer over it. Then I wait 20 mins and apply a high PPD European sunscreen.

19 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2006 2:31:00 AM More reviews by hennagirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I thought the water-based vit C serum with propylene glycol lasted about a week...so I make new batches weekly:

1/4 tsp l-absorbic acid powder (I like the Vitamin Shoppe brand -- dissolves intantly)
1/8 tsp ferulic acid powder (from skinactives.com)
1/2 tsp propylene glycol
enough distilled water to make 1 oz.

Slight stinging, but goes away quickly. I apply in the morning and then let it absorb for 10-15 minutes (while getting dressed or eating breakfast). Then I apply my sunscreen. I like to think of the vit C serum as the silk underwear of skincare -- just a light layer that makes other stuff more efficient.

30 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No