November 26, 2014 | 1789 users online

Treatments (Face) - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2009 10:11:00 AM More reviews by Aonn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the way to go if Vit C works for you. I've used Cellex-C and Skinceuticals for years and they are great products. But.... they are outrageously expensive and have a questionable shelf life. I react well to Vit C and have had fantastic results with a homemade version. I use 1/4 teaspoon of L-ascorbic with 1 1/2 teaspoon water and 1/2 teaspoon of glycerin. My skin is oily, so cutting back on the glycerin has reduced the stickyness somewhat and feels better to me. I mix it up and use it everynight and I use it everywhere - arms, throat, chest, etc. Although I occasionallly add green tea extract (adjusting the water to keep the percentages correct), I usually don't add other things but you certainly can. I'll eventually try to make a less sticky version for day with ferulic acid and E (can order all this and more online). My skin looks clear and toned and healthy and I love this stuff!

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2009 6:21:00 PM More reviews by tthurmond

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just began making my own Vitamin C mix two weeks ago (applying it a total of 5 times so far), and I already see great improvement in my cheeks that have acne scars and pits. The pits are so much more leveled with the rest of my face. I am amazed.

My first batch was 1/8 tsp L Ascorbic Acid (powder form) + 1 tsp distilled water + 1 tsp vegetable glycerin. At night and in a dim room, I mixed the powder in the water until it appeared dissolved. Then I added the glycerin and mixed it again. I immediately applied it to my face and after about 5 minutes, I had the idea to add a half capsule of vitamin e to my face and added the remaining amount to the leftover mix. (The mix was created in a tiny opaque plastic "jar" and was stored in my fridge). Over the next two days, I used up the remaining mix, always applying it at night with the lights dim.

Approximately 4 days later, my next batch was stronger, doubling the amount of l ascorbic acid but keeping the amount of water and gylcerin the same. I used it up within 2 days. Because I'm so paranoid about avoiding oxidation, I plan to continue making very small batches with no sun light and little artificial light, storing it in an opaque container, in the refrigerator, and using it within a few days.

This mix is working wonders for me! I clearly see improvement already!! I also think it is complementary to the Derma E Hyaluronic Acid Serum that i apply to my face.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2009 8:14:00 PM More reviews by ivanhoe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I made it from with 5ml water, 5ml glycerin and only 0,5g vitamin C. This is my first bottle and I use it 4 days already every morning and evening. I must say I'm amazed! I don't know if my skin ever looked so good. My skin is pretty sensitive and I always have few eczemas, usually behind ears and on cheeks. Eczemas didn't get worse, and my skin is soft, fresh, plumped and it simply shines. I am a person who laughs a lot, and I have wrinkles around eyes. I am sure those wrinkles are already less visible. I don't know if this is because of hydrating characteristics of glycerin, or because of vit. C, but I like it a lot!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2009 10:14:00 AM More reviews by jautumnw

Just thought I'd share a recipe I found on the net--it's towards the end of the article.

I found some L-ascorbic acid crystals at GNC (emailed their CS to verify that it's L-ascorbic, since the label just says "ascorbic") and I also found some glycerin and distilled water at my local walmart.

Edit: the GNC crystals have Rose Hip Oil in them, too, and that might have made my face break out. Your experience may vary, but I'm not using the GNC vitamin c crystals on my face anymore...

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2009 5:47:00 AM More reviews by patpatpatpat

I'm always going through the boards and the product reviews looking for new things to try. So when I came across this I thought, why not? So off I went searching for ascorbic acid. It was simple enough, I bought it from the health food store and you get a lot for about 6. I make the simplest form of this by only mixing it with water in a spray bottle. On first attempt I got a bit carried away and was spraying it on my face several times a day. On day 3 I noticed my skin was peeling. I stopped for several days, made a fresh batch of weaker concentration and as I was spraying I looked in the mirror and noticed that under my peeling skin what was emerging was much smoother plumped skin. The 2 fine lines on my forehead was gone. And that only from using it for 3 days!! I have continued with this weaker concentration using it only twice a day and making a new batch every 2-3 days. My pores are no longer clogged since I've stopped putting on other serums and my skin looks much better in general, so it's great! Will continue and update with any developments! Edit: Changed my serum to 1 part vitamin c, 1 part glycerin and 10 part water. It's now even better! Have tried with more glycerin but it's too moisturising for my skin takes too long to absorb...

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2009 7:44:00 PM More reviews by stellarfungi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Me: 22, combo, oily nose/chin and dry/red/sensitive everywhere else. Redness was why I wanted to use vitamin C underneath sunscreen in the morning.

The product: A lot (okay, most. okay, almost EVERYWHERE) of places love to jack the prices on their vitamin c serums far above what the actual ingredients warrant (I'm looking at you, Skinceuticals.) What is a skincare aficionado on a budget supposed to do? Start at Stamourowl's notepad and end up at GardenofWisdom.com and then (patiently, as it takes time!) reap the rewards. I use the simple water/propylene glycol/l-ascorbic acid recipe and it ends up at an almost toner-like consistently. I store in a dark brown bottle on my closet shelf, away from sunlight. If you keep it in the refrigerator it will further slow oxidization. If you're having problems getting the powder to dissolve, try putting it in the blender first.

My experience: The redness in my face has been a long curse and it's not cured yet, but I have definitely seen a slow, steady improvement since introducing the vitamin c IN CONJUNCTION with sunscreen. Without sunscreen it's a little like having Slimfast for breakfast and ice cream for dinner - you're not going to progress very much. I think a storebought C serum would probably reveal quicker results, but for the price, this really cannot be beat.

Ingredients: Water, propylene glycol and l-ascorbic acid powder. continued >>

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2009 4:01:00 PM More reviews by ShayFL

Figured out my La Roche Posey Vitamin C was what was causing my horrible break outs and refused to spend another ton of money trying to find one that worked. It's just Vitamin C for goodness sakes!!

So I went to WF and bought Solgar's 1000 mg L-ascorbic acid capsules, some vegetable glycerin and some rose water. I already had a little dark brown bottle (1 oz) with a spritzer top. Sanitized it good and put in 1 capsule, 10 drops of glycerine and filled the rest with the rose water. Shook it up vigorously for a few minutes and then spritzed my face. No stinging or burning like the La Roche Posey and NO BREAKOUTS!!

So I will store it in the fridge in the dark bottle for up to 5 days and then make a fresh batch.

Might as well try this FIRST before spending a ton of cash like I did.

You can use cheaper L-ascorbic acid. I just like Solgar because it is free of common allergens including gluten which I must avoid. Even tho I wouldnt be eating it, I dont want the evil gluten to get anywhere near my mouth. :)

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2009 1:21:00 PM More reviews by shilohcalista

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use a homemade vitamin C serum twice a week using Now vegetable glycerin and ascorbic acid powder. I prefer to do this in the AM and I leave the serum on for an hour. Very good and gentle method for getting the benefits of vitamin C directly to your skin and a smooth polished surface. Vitamin C can be irritating to sensitive skin so I would start out leaving it on for fifteen minutes at a time until I built up to an hour. This method has worked well for my older very sensitive skin. After the hour, I wash it off and apply moisturizer. Cost effective and face effective- can't be beat doing it yourself, As one poster below mentioned, unlike when you buy a c serum you control the amount and consistentcy of the two natural ingredients so it can be self adjusted if you have less sensitive skin.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/16/2008 10:53:00 PM More reviews by Mathilde10

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a great alternative to expensive serums out there. Like everyone here says, it's dirt cheap, easy to make, and great for your skin. However, my skin did not have such a desirable reaction. I have sensitive skin that likes to break out whenever it tries a product that may have some ingredient in it. This time, the vitamin c was just not agreeing with my skin, no matter how little the proportion I included in my recipe. So, this may be great for other people but for people like me, it may not be so good. I developed cystic acne and little whiteheads all around the frame of my face (especially on my cheeks and jaw area). I only stopped this two days ago and my skin has finally calmed down and the acne is already clearing up. And for those of you who think this was just an initial reaction. It wasn't. I stuck with the serum for almost 3 months. Just a warning that this may not be an HG product for all.

19 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2008 9:46:00 PM More reviews by chichenitza

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am so glad I found the recipes for this treatment here on Makeup Alley. I bought the pure Vitamin C crystals and the pure vegetable glycerin at Whole Foods and mix it all up every morning with distilled water using a really cheap cappuccino foaming whisk from Ikea (just as good as those pricey little cosmetics blenders) to completely disolve the crystals, then apply it with a cotton square. The skin on my face looks better than it has in years and I make enough to apply to my entire body. I am thrilled with the way this stuff works. I cannot believe I ever shelled out 100 bucks for Skinceuticals serums which smell worse and don't even feel as good on my skin.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No