October 25, 2014 | 1551 users online

Treatments (Face) - Homemade Vitamin C Serum

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2009 8:14:00 PM More reviews by ivanhoe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I made it from with 5ml water, 5ml glycerin and only 0,5g vitamin C. This is my first bottle and I use it 4 days already every morning and evening. I must say I'm amazed! I don't know if my skin ever looked so good. My skin is pretty sensitive and I always have few eczemas, usually behind ears and on cheeks. Eczemas didn't get worse, and my skin is soft, fresh, plumped and it simply shines. I am a person who laughs a lot, and I have wrinkles around eyes. I am sure those wrinkles are already less visible. I don't know if this is because of hydrating characteristics of glycerin, or because of vit. C, but I like it a lot!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2009 10:14:00 AM More reviews by jautumnw

Just thought I'd share a recipe I found on the net--it's towards the end of the article.

I found some L-ascorbic acid crystals at GNC (emailed their CS to verify that it's L-ascorbic, since the label just says "ascorbic") and I also found some glycerin and distilled water at my local walmart.

Edit: the GNC crystals have Rose Hip Oil in them, too, and that might have made my face break out. Your experience may vary, but I'm not using the GNC vitamin c crystals on my face anymore...

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2009 5:47:00 AM More reviews by patpatpatpat

I'm always going through the boards and the product reviews looking for new things to try. So when I came across this I thought, why not? So off I went searching for ascorbic acid. It was simple enough, I bought it from the health food store and you get a lot for about 6. I make the simplest form of this by only mixing it with water in a spray bottle. On first attempt I got a bit carried away and was spraying it on my face several times a day. On day 3 I noticed my skin was peeling. I stopped for several days, made a fresh batch of weaker concentration and as I was spraying I looked in the mirror and noticed that under my peeling skin what was emerging was much smoother plumped skin. The 2 fine lines on my forehead was gone. And that only from using it for 3 days!! I have continued with this weaker concentration using it only twice a day and making a new batch every 2-3 days. My pores are no longer clogged since I've stopped putting on other serums and my skin looks much better in general, so it's great! Will continue and update with any developments! Edit: Changed my serum to 1 part vitamin c, 1 part glycerin and 10 part water. It's now even better! Have tried with more glycerin but it's too moisturising for my skin takes too long to absorb...

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2009 7:44:00 PM More reviews by stellarfungi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Me: 22, combo, oily nose/chin and dry/red/sensitive everywhere else. Redness was why I wanted to use vitamin C underneath sunscreen in the morning.

The product: A lot (okay, most. okay, almost EVERYWHERE) of places love to jack the prices on their vitamin c serums far above what the actual ingredients warrant (I'm looking at you, Skinceuticals.) What is a skincare aficionado on a budget supposed to do? Start at Stamourowl's notepad and end up at GardenofWisdom.com and then (patiently, as it takes time!) reap the rewards. I use the simple water/propylene glycol/l-ascorbic acid recipe and it ends up at an almost toner-like consistently. I store in a dark brown bottle on my closet shelf, away from sunlight. If you keep it in the refrigerator it will further slow oxidization. If you're having problems getting the powder to dissolve, try putting it in the blender first.

My experience: The redness in my face has been a long curse and it's not cured yet, but I have definitely seen a slow, steady improvement since introducing the vitamin c IN CONJUNCTION with sunscreen. Without sunscreen it's a little like having Slimfast for breakfast and ice cream for dinner - you're not going to progress very much. I think a storebought C serum would probably reveal quicker results, but for the price, this really cannot be beat.

Ingredients: Water, propylene glycol and l-ascorbic acid powder. continued >>

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2009 4:01:00 PM More reviews by ShayFL

Figured out my La Roche Posey Vitamin C was what was causing my horrible break outs and refused to spend another ton of money trying to find one that worked. It's just Vitamin C for goodness sakes!!

So I went to WF and bought Solgar's 1000 mg L-ascorbic acid capsules, some vegetable glycerin and some rose water. I already had a little dark brown bottle (1 oz) with a spritzer top. Sanitized it good and put in 1 capsule, 10 drops of glycerine and filled the rest with the rose water. Shook it up vigorously for a few minutes and then spritzed my face. No stinging or burning like the La Roche Posey and NO BREAKOUTS!!

So I will store it in the fridge in the dark bottle for up to 5 days and then make a fresh batch.

Might as well try this FIRST before spending a ton of cash like I did.

You can use cheaper L-ascorbic acid. I just like Solgar because it is free of common allergens including gluten which I must avoid. Even tho I wouldnt be eating it, I dont want the evil gluten to get anywhere near my mouth. :)

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2009 1:21:00 PM More reviews by shilohcalista

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use a homemade vitamin C serum twice a week using Now vegetable glycerin and ascorbic acid powder. I prefer to do this in the AM and I leave the serum on for an hour. Very good and gentle method for getting the benefits of vitamin C directly to your skin and a smooth polished surface. Vitamin C can be irritating to sensitive skin so I would start out leaving it on for fifteen minutes at a time until I built up to an hour. This method has worked well for my older very sensitive skin. After the hour, I wash it off and apply moisturizer. Cost effective and face effective- can't be beat doing it yourself, As one poster below mentioned, unlike when you buy a c serum you control the amount and consistentcy of the two natural ingredients so it can be self adjusted if you have less sensitive skin.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/16/2008 10:53:00 PM More reviews by Mathilde10

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a great alternative to expensive serums out there. Like everyone here says, it's dirt cheap, easy to make, and great for your skin. However, my skin did not have such a desirable reaction. I have sensitive skin that likes to break out whenever it tries a product that may have some ingredient in it. This time, the vitamin c was just not agreeing with my skin, no matter how little the proportion I included in my recipe. So, this may be great for other people but for people like me, it may not be so good. I developed cystic acne and little whiteheads all around the frame of my face (especially on my cheeks and jaw area). I only stopped this two days ago and my skin has finally calmed down and the acne is already clearing up. And for those of you who think this was just an initial reaction. It wasn't. I stuck with the serum for almost 3 months. Just a warning that this may not be an HG product for all.

19 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2008 9:46:00 PM More reviews by chichenitza

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am so glad I found the recipes for this treatment here on Makeup Alley. I bought the pure Vitamin C crystals and the pure vegetable glycerin at Whole Foods and mix it all up every morning with distilled water using a really cheap cappuccino foaming whisk from Ikea (just as good as those pricey little cosmetics blenders) to completely disolve the crystals, then apply it with a cotton square. The skin on my face looks better than it has in years and I make enough to apply to my entire body. I am thrilled with the way this stuff works. I cannot believe I ever shelled out 100 bucks for Skinceuticals serums which smell worse and don't even feel as good on my skin.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2008 12:39:00 AM More reviews by likepaperdoves

This is so easy to make and so much more cost effective than buying expensive serums and vitamin c treatments that may give you glowing skin but do a major number on your pocketbook. My mother kept prodding me to start using vitamin c products as it was so beneficial, no "crucial", to the health and look of skin. I'm all about taking care of my skin, but scouting for a good inexpensive vitamin c product started proving to be difficult. Either products were too expensive, irritated, broke me out, or just plain didn't work. I came across the homemade vitamin c serum and I was ecstatic. Not only is this much cheaper, but I like that I can control the concentration of the vitamin c. I have sensitive skin and some vitamin c treatments were very strong and greatly irritated my face. This is controllable and just so much more straightforward. Water plus ascorbic acid. Two simple ingredients and you get the same benefits as those high end "miracle" vitamin c treatments in unnecessary costly packaging.

I bought a little amber glass bottle to store my mixture as sunlight depletes the effectiveness of the ascorbic acid.

Distilled water (I use distilled rose water as it has soothing benefits for my sensitive skin. I get this at the local grocery store in the international food aisle. It's cheap and you can get it at any grocery that sells middle eastern food ingredients.)

Ascorbic acid powder or crystals. You can find it at Vitaminshoppe or Whole Foods. I got mine at Whole Foods, their generic kind.

My vial is 1 ounce, so I add about less than 1/8 of a teaspoon. I have sensitive skin so I can't go too crazy on the ascorbic acid. I apply with a cotton pad. It's working amazingly well. My skin looks so healthy, bright, and youthful, and it's helping with the sun damage I recently got from sitting in the sun for hours (ineffective sunscreen).

To see even more benefits add a product that contains hyaluronic acid to your skin care regimen. The vitamin c and hyaluronic acid work really well together and boosts each others benefits so I've read.

40 out of 42 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2008 9:18:00 AM More reviews by BambiGirl

I am addicted to making my own cosmetics (everything from cream to toothpaste!) And the Homemade Vitamin C serum is one of my very favorites.

I find it hard to find the vitamin C powder where I live, so I use the tablets. I Buy them from Boots, and they are free of artificial colours, flavours, preservatives... etc.

For a 10% solution I mix 20 pieces of 500mg Vit C capsules with 100ml DISTILLED water.

I usually remake this every second day.

I use Vitamin E at night over a homemade topical Vitamin A treatment, and in the morning, I swab my face with the Vitamin C Serum, and pat on some Jojoba oil.

I feel like I've had a face transplant, my skin is so clear and smooth!

**EDIT** I've had a few emails about this. Sorry for not replying, i'm a bit busy. Anyways, I use dissolvable vitamin C tablets found in most drug stores like Shoppers (Canada). It's in the vitamin aisle, they are hard chalky disks that you dissolve in water and drink during cold and flu season. I suggest you buy the unflavoured/no colour added one if you can find it. But if you can only find the regular one, a little flavour on your face never hurt anyone... ;)

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No