December 22, 2014 | 1791 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2006 10:29:00 PM More reviews by Seonagh

I am not sure how often I'm going to wear this one but I have always wanted to find a perfect true red lipstick. This one is just amazinge and I got it for 1.76 cnd!!! It is creamy and smooth with nice coverage and a great color. It looks great with my skin. Although they have a retro red colour as well this color looks very retro 1940's red on me. I'm getting bolder about my lipsticks these days and finding great shades like this will help keep that going. I just love that I didn't have to be afraid to buy it since it is so cheap. I took on lippie off because of the ultra cheap packaging but I'm not really complaining since I'd rather pay less and get good quality lipstick. For anyone who has been thinking the reviews of this lippie are too good to be true, go out and spend the 1.76 and give it a try.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2006 4:17:00 PM More reviews by lovesittxx

I really like N.Y.C lipsticks! I always just passed them up, but I really love them now. I like how you can see through the cap. This is a very nice red color, that looks great on my PPP skin. And it's only a $1!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2006 11:39:00 PM More reviews by annaharris_227

This is a good red on my NC30 skin! It's a true, pure red with no fushia or orange undertones. This is definitely a glossy lipstick, so if you're looking for a matte red this ain't it! As for the intensity of the color, it's a cross between an opaque lipstick and a stain. It's not really sheer as the packaging states, but it's not as "in-your-face" overpowering as most reds are. Hope that description helps you out!=0) Now, the packaging: My only beef is that I wish the cap would stay on the tube a little better. But I do like how I can see the color through the cap! Still, I definitely wouldn't mind buying this in other colors! A suprisingly good lippie for a buck!! Oh, one more thing: This lipstick does have a slight fragrance to it (a sweet floral), so if you don't like lippies that have any smell to them you might want to try something else. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2006 10:06:00 AM More reviews by oldone

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Crappy packaging, but a great product for $.97! Nice sheer red that is good if you want a red color, but not a matte uber-red shade. I found it to be moisturizing. And, if you don not like you are only out a dollar. Got mine at Target. Will be getting a back-up.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2006 6:25:00 PM More reviews by gromitndl

this is a wonderful l/s. it's universally flattering and it's nice and sheer. not over the top. very pretty.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2006 12:04:00 AM More reviews by etain_anders

Pretty nice. *Incredibly* smooth going on, though it won't stay long w/o reapplying. Very bright color, though lighter than in the package, and a bit pinkish, not brick red. I put a tiny bit on my bottom and rubbed my lips together and it made them look very plump and pouty. Color is a bit much for my pale neutral skin, though. But then, I prefer nudes, so other pale-skinned girls might still like it.

Did I mention how smooth it is? Wow. Like Vaseline w/o the grease.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2006 5:44:00 PM More reviews by lost_american516

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

love love love!!! gives me a sheer red stained i-just-got-done-eating-a-cherry-popsicle look. great for an interesting look, and its only a dollar.<3 kADY

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2006 10:49:00 PM More reviews by adachic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

N.Y.C. Sheer red is quite blatantly, simply awesome! I usually never buy those $1 lipsticks since they tend to dry out my lips and are, for the most part, poorly manufactured; however, on a whim, I decided I'd give this color a try. I wanted a sheer red lipstick and for $1, if it sucked, I'd just toss it. I had tried other reds from other department store brands like covergirl, but hadn't found the one that looked good with my skintone. I used to love Loreal Shine Delice in Cranberry Pop, but that's been discontinued. NYC in sheer red is VERY similar to cranberry pop. The staying power is alright. For only a $1, I don't care if I have to reapply it sometimes. The color isn't an overwhelming red, it's just as it states- very sheer, yet not invisible. The color reminds me of tinted cherry-colored lipbalm. As for the smell of the product, I don't sniff makeup, but I haven't noticed any overwhelming scent. The packaging isn't too bad either. Sure, it's not high-quality, but the lipstick hasn't broken on me at all yet and I use it almost everyday.

Now, as far as suggestions... I would NOT recommend this color for dark skinned girls. This is more of a red for lighter-skinned girls (being as it is blue-based). I have blue eyes, pale skin (light ivory), and brunette hair. This red is just right for me, but with someone with darker skin and features, it would probably just resemble their natural lipcolor, if not just a tint darker.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No