April 19, 2014 | 1762 users online

Powder - NARS - Powder Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2005 9:40:00 PM More reviews by shay2005

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I do love this powder foundation but to get coverage I use nars antilles and sedona powder foundation on top and I look flawless.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2005 1:49:00 PM More reviews by Asphodel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Am quite happy with this overall, this powder foundation gives a liquid foundation like finish. the powder is very fine and gives a natural matte silky finish. A very convenient product with SPF 12, works great when in a rush, I apply this with sponge wedge at home (and only use the sponge that comes with the case for touchups), it sets concealer and have my face even out and shine free in 30 secs! I got this in Fuji which was a perfect match to my summer tan but now a shade darker than my complexion, will probably switch back to my Chantecaille compact foundation for the winter months when my tan fades. I have no problem with the size of the case, I find the 'suede-like' frosted plastic texture of all the NARS cases very nice... hate those shiny silver/gold reflective cases that show finger prints like crazy.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/7/2005 11:17:00 PM More reviews by kjjamm808

Fantastic product! I am majorly sensitive with normal/oily skin prone to breakouts. I applied this powder foundation in the morning and it stayed on ALL day with no touch-up...not to mention, no breakouts! It also makes my blush last longer. I am an NC35-37 and got this is Budapest. The compact I agree is a little chunky, but it is super-durable and the product itself is top quality. UPDATE: After using this for about 2 weeks, I noticed major breakouts on my forhead and chin. Stopped the product and breakouts went away. Shame, I liked this a lot, but I guess I will not be repurchasing :(

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2005 10:13:00 PM More reviews by HRenfrewgrl

I agree with the reviewer below. This powder foundation is nothing special(same quality as drugstore brands). I also have really oily skin and this did not stay on. The color didn't match my skin at all and not to mention it cost me $65 CAD and the refill costs $45! Totally not worth it. I will be returning this tomorrow at Holt Renfrew. For something that is worth $65 I would expect better overall quality! But I really like the packaging!!! So for that I'm giving it 2 lippies! Overall it's crap! TOTALLY OVERATED!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/5/2005 8:38:00 AM More reviews by lthai

the case is cool, but a bit bulky. the powder goes on like silk, deauville matched my skin perfectly (mac c3). light to buildable medium coverage. oil breakthrough within a couple of hours, though my skin is excessively oily and nothing manages to stop it. i like it, but overall it is not worth the $45, $35 for the refill. it's nothing spectacular. i feel like Cover Girl Tru Blend powder foundation is pretty much on par with this. for that amount of money i expect a HG, alas it is not...the search continues.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/2/2005 12:10:00 AM More reviews by deelasoul

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm new to the world of powder foundations. I've always used liquids, but wanted something I could put on quickly when I'm in a rush and for touch-ups during the day. It probably sounds silly, but I chose this simply because I'm a recent NARS convert and have been loving my new mini Lip Lacquer palette.

I'm extremely impressed so far. I'd never have guessed that I could get such a natural looking finish from a powder, but this somehow just disappears into my skin, evens out my skintone and keeps oiliness at bay without appearing too matte or powdery. It's so light that it almost seems like it's not covering anything, but after I'm done, it looks flawless. DH couldn't even tell I was wearing makeup!

I only have a few small gripes. I'm a true GGG with a very strong yellow undertone and chose Sahara because it was a perfect match in terms of depth. The tone is slightly more peach or orange than I'd like, but because it blends so well, it works and looks like my skin. I'm also not crazy about the compact. It's very stylish but a bit clunky. The powder pan itself is very thin, but it lifts up to reveal a huge compartment for storing the sponge. The back of the compact has holes in it, theoretically to allow the sponge to dry, but the directions say to apply it dry, so I'm not sure what the holes are for. The sponge itself is very soft and easy to work with, but you can also apply the powder with a brush.

Overall, I'm very happy. Just keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't break me out!

P.S. I've been asked on the MU board about the ingredients, so I scanned the box and put a pic in my profile.

UPDATE: After using this for about two weeks, I'm pretty sure it caused me to break out in a few small bumps on my chin and an actual zit on my cheek. I haven't used it for the past three days and my skin is clearing up. I exchanged it for the LM Foundation Powder and am liking it much better. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 9/30/2005 9:35:00 PM More reviews by michelle888

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am so sad that this is not a foundation for me. Not to say it's bad at all. It's actually a lovely powder foundation however for me, who is sort of pink/and yellow toned and can wear Mac NC20, Diorskin 300 (I know, this is weird) and Chanel Double Powder in Tendre Bisque, there are NO shades in this foundation of Nars that work. The Budapest is the closest match but while I walked around the store I became increasingly Oompa Loompa Orange. So I bought the Fiji hoping that it would deepen (as it was a little too pale) but it did not. Overall the lighter shades (half of the shades really) are very very mustard-yellow and golden rather than the more natural/netural yellow ranges of Armani, Mac and Body and Soul. The texture is gorgeous though and very very similar to Shiseido's Powder foundation (not the creamy powder, but the strict powder foundation), so if you are more a netural skinned person like me, perhaps Shiseido's product is best (after all, this product was created by Shiseido, owner of Nars). Packaging of course is beautiful, in the iconic Nars compact.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2005 1:45:00 PM More reviews by LucyBelieves

I am not usually a fan of powder foundations but I actually like this one. It has more of a natural finish which wears well throughout the day. I found a good match in Budapest and I like the sponge included. I am lighter than my color picture conveys. I am about an NC 30. Amazingly enough the NARS didn't accentuate my flakies like Armani LSF did to me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2005 2:47:00 PM More reviews by Tresha

This is hands down the best powder foundation that I have ever used! And I am so thrilled with it. NARS powder foundations come in the same colors as the liquid foundations. I paid $45.00 at Sephora for it in the color Sahara, which suits my NC42-43 skin perfectly. (Sedona was a little to orange on me.) This powder foundation gives the most awesome medium to full coverage, and it looks so natural and glowy. It's blends into my skin flawlessly, and even when my oils kick in, I don't look greasy - just glowy. It doesn't look cakey at all, like Chanel DPF or MAC Studio Fix looks on my skin. My skin is super oily/combo, and so I must blot though out the day, and this does not cake at all on me when I use it as a blot powder. It doesn't dry my skin out, which is a huge problem that I encountered with other foundation powder that I have used in the past, and I haven't had any breakouts either, so I am extremely pleased. It feels really comfortable on my sensitive skin. My only complaint is that the compact is really big and bulky, but the product inside is so amazing that I can get over that. I have tried every powder foundation known to man, and this one is the best all around foundation powder. I have a feeling that many people are going to like this as much as I do. It's an awesome product for me so far. NARS rarely dissapoints. This powder foundation was worth the wait! It looks like my skin, but 1000x better. Try it for yourself! UPDATE: Absolutely no breakouts so far. My skin looks so flawless, glowy, and healthy. I am not so sure if the power of the coverage is that great, but the color match for me is perfect. I picked up another one - one for home, and one for my bag on the go, but I am a little on the fence about the coverage lasting all day.

UPDATE: I have been using this for a couple months, and I loved it at first. However, it doesn't stay on my face. It doesn't stay flawless all day :( Only after I have apply it, and it looks awesome for a couple hours then it looks like I am wearing nothing, and every pore on my face is visible. I don't really have the patience to touch it up through out the day, so I am going back to my trusty liquid foundation LM Oil-free, and I will use this on low maintance days. I think people with near perfect skin could pull this off. Not me - I need more coverage and lasting powder, since I am always on the go. I don't really have time to fuss with my foundation once I do it in the morning. I've decided, I need something that stays on for atleast 8-10 hours. This last about 3-4. My skin is super oily and that could be a factor also, but as far as I am concerned, another powder foundation bites the dust! I'm going back to liquids.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2005 11:58:00 PM More reviews by lipstik

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

1/19/06: It's now four months later -- I tried this when they first got it in at Sephora (see very first review 9/05) and I am still LOVING this! It is the absolute BEST powder foundation ever! (And I have tried them all!) I have used this every day since September (I apply with a brush and "stipple" on vs. fluff, if that makes any sense, and I am just now about to buy my next compact (or refill). The color is perfect and beautiful (Budapest -- I'm a MAC C30 and a stila 40 watts but sometimes these shades make me look a little pale, especially in photos), the texture makes my skin look flawless and I swear, I have gotten nonstop compliments on my skin since wearing it. People say that I look really good, really relaxed, like someone with no stress or worries (yeah, right!) but in any case, it is definitely something I cannot be without and will continue to purchase forever. I LOVE IT! Update: I am constantly asked by strangers what skincare and makeup I use because my skin looks great!

UPDATE 5/18/06: Yes, another review from me. I just returned from New Orleans and I wanted to say that this powder works beautifully even in the most humid weather. I've written a couple of reviews and updates on this powder foundation and I cannot say enough great things about it. Pure perfection in compact form! Oh -- the one thing I did change was the shade. I use Fiji instead of Budapest because I haven't self-tanned in a while and Fiji is my exact skintone sans a tan. I have purchased both the full compacts and the refills and I hope they NEVER discontinue this!

9/05: I had written the first review for this in September when Sephora first got it in, but now my updates have erased it! Anyway, I still love it!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No