Philosophy Amazing Grace cologne

3.7

Lately I have found most perfumes, even the ones I usually wear (mostly Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nile in warmer weather and Hypnotic Poison in the cooler months) to be intolerable and make me feel dizzy and nauseous.
So, I've been searching for something that smells good, but doesn't make me feel like I've just spun in circles. I remembered trying this about a year ago and being unsure about it, but I tried it again recently in my search for a subtler scent. It was perfect - soft, feminine, almost babyish, and comforting.
I associate this scent with the movie the Virgin Suicides, since I watched the movie the day I started to wear this scent. I imagined the Lisbon sisters smelling like Amazing Grace - their hair, room, skin and clothes. It's an innocent fragrance, but I think that's what makes it kinda sexy though. Sorta like the Lisbon sisters.
Also, try the roll-on oil for staying power, and then just mist your hair and clothes w/ the perfume to touch up the scent (if you like Amazing Grace enough to purchase both).
EDIT - I changed this to 4 "lippies" b/c while I think it's a lovely little concoction, I feel I need to save five lippies for perfumes that just make me feel something more intense and inexplicable. I still love this scent though.

on 3/20/2008 8:05:00 PM

Just didn't get the hype, tried at sephora several times and never got it. One day it went on sale, I said what the heck... now I love it. I am still a Tova fan but will add to the rotation

on 2/22/2008 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have no gift for describing scents. But what comes to mind for me is soft, warm, clean and a slight bit floral. It is so neutral that you just smell good, not like a perfume. It is definitely an everyday scent. Certainly not what you want to wear for an evening out. I just get compliments that I "smell so good". When you layer it with the lotion, the lasting power is so much better.

on 2/12/2008 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Smells like a funeral parlor to me. Yuck.

on 2/6/2008 2:44:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

AWFUL! Very overpowering and smells exactly like a dryer sheet. Not what I was expecting from the "fragrance revolution" that's supposed to make you smell good and not like a perfume. Don't buy the hype.

on 1/18/2008 11:01:00 AM

This is crazy.. I got a sample of this the same day I received my bottle of Avon Perfumed Liquid Deodorant.I put the AG on one wrist and the Avon on the other. Oh how I wanted to love the AG but to me the only thing Amazing about this is the price. I found myself loving the old Avon product better. To me it has more " body" for a fuller nose smell and the AG smells cheap. Sorry phil girls I just dont get the hype.

on 1/17/2008 3:31:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I like the fragrance but not matter how I layer it, it simply does not last. Too costly to keep trying. I've tried the spray, body lotion, scrub, shampoo, etc. alone and all in conjunction with each other but it's always gone in no time.

on 1/16/2008 2:47:00 PM

Smelled this on a friend and thought it was lovely. Purchased for myself and it just does not smell as wonderful. Wore it for a couple days and though it is ok. Just did not LOVE it...Smells like a mixture of flowers and some kind of household cleaner??

on 12/28/2007 3:50:00 PM

Update: I gave this away. It reminded me of something from my junior high years that gave me bad memories. Some bath product I must have used. I wish I was better at placing those memories of scents so I could say what it was.

I am really surprised to like this considering that I am not at all in a phase in which I like musk scents, and also because I had tried it before and couldn't really smell anything on my skin. I have now purchased a tiny bottle of this and I am really enjoying it! As everyone has said, soft floral musk that's maybe a little powdery. Just a nice smell. I have tried soooooo many fragrances and I have found things I like, but sometimes I feel so overwhelmed by them. I was seeking a nice, "neutral" scent to wear as I stay at home and do my work each day. Nothing too in my face or too far from my life here at home, if that makes sense. I get headaches easily, and when I'm out and about I find I can tolerate a stronger or more special kind of scent, but when I'm at home, I really need it to blend in. This scent does a great job of that, while still being a noticeable fragrance that I can enjoy when I swish my hair, etc.

on 12/27/2007 9:47:00 AM

Practically HG for me. I say practically because I do like to change up a bit. I've heard this described as like the fragrance version of your favorite jeans and I agree. I use this stuff everyday and I notice that when I do change fragrance to something else, whatever I've switched to hits me like a ton of bricks.

If you're expecting to smell this strongly on yourself all day long or you like more powerful scents, move along. This is subtle and I catch whiffs occasionally but both DH and DD say it's a great scent they associate now with me. I traditionally have always liked more oriental scents so I'm surprised how well this light floral has captured me.

Popular Fragrances