April 18, 2014 | 1170 users online

Pressed Powders - Rimmel - Stay Matte Pressed Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2013 1:40:00 PM More reviews by Thatsellen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A great product that lives up to its name and makes your skin look matte. You'll have to apply more after a few hours but it's totally worth it. Be careful about the packaging though since it easily breaks. I would absolutely recommend this product!!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2013 1:36:00 PM More reviews by ChloeLB

I have used three of these and keep repurchasing for my daily make up routine. The packaging on my latest one is actually improved so the lid doesn't come off so easily. Yay! So I gave it an extra lippy. Thank you Rimmel.
I have only just managed to find the shade that works for me - 005 silky beige. When I lived in Spain the lightest shade I could find was 006, just a tad too dark. (All the olive skinned senoritas dominating the market haha) then in Ireland I got one a little too light but this one is juuuust right. I like that they cater for pink and yellow undertones in their shade range too.
It CAN look cakey but I find applying with a brush and sweeping it on over my BB cream leaves me looking natural and matte.
I don't know if any one is with me on this but some powders feel... uncomfortable? Almost suffocating or tight? This one is nice though, I doesn't ever make me feel like that.
This product really does depend on what you use under it! Basically, if you don't have a good base product it's not going to last. I tried it with Garnier's original bb cream and it left me shiny after a few hours and it oxidized (although it could have been the bb cream). Now I use the oil free BB cream and I don't have any problems. It just leaves me with a lovely smooth finish! Sooo if you have tried this product and didn't like it, try to persevere by using other products with it. If you're an oily skinned girl, like me, then definitely try with other oil/shine control products.
You can't go wrong at the price. I usually pick it up for around 5-6 euros.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/22/2013 2:53:00 AM More reviews by belle169

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This powder has so much hype around it that I had to try it. I've nearly finished my first one and I like it okay, but I don't think it's really amazing, to be honest.

It's finely milled and sets concealer and foundation nicely (providing you use only a little and tap your brush off before applying), with a perfect matte finish - not super flat like some powders - and an extra light bit of coverage. I've been using it everyday over the top of my concealer and it's very nice and natural (I have the Translucent shade, for reference).

HOWEVER. It has pretty rubbish staying power, at least for me. I don't have super oily skin - it's combination, leaning towards the drier side. In other words, my T-zone doesn't get that oily - except with this powder. It really only lasts a few hours before I get noticeably shiny, and that leads me to believe that it would last a significantly shorter amount of time on people with oilier skin. For a powder that's called "Stay Matte", I think that's pathetic.

Everybody's complained about the packaging already, so I won't go too much into that. If you put the lid on and then turn it slightly it won't just fall off, but I guess it is a bit dodgy for travelling, etc.

The price is amazing - mine was around about NZ$15, if I remember correctly, and that's really affordable. So nothing to complain about there!

So in summary, I like the way that this powder looks on my skin, I love the price, but it doesn't do an efficient job at actually keeping my (combination/dry) skin matte for more than a few hours. I probably will repurchase, but I'm going to keep an eye out for an affordable powder that stays all day.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2013 4:30:00 PM More reviews by noemielizabethh

I am a college student who LOVES experimenting with makeup that is in the price range of my budget! This compact is great for daily use. I have fair and slightly dry skin with a little bit of redness because of my eczema and this compact gives me a natural finish, (paired with a foundation of course). If you are looking for a matte finish, this compact is not for you. I also don't recommend using this compact on it's own. It will not give complete coverage. I use it to set my foundation and it looks clean and effortless. Some of the negative things about this product is that it doesn't come in too many colors which is totally not fair for some of the darker skinned girls out there and it also doesn't come with a sponge like most compacts do. I personally avoid using sponges because they can easily grow bacteria on them so I use a kabuki brush instead but some people prefer a sponge. This product review is based on my personal use with this product. It works well for me which I LOVE but it might not be the best product for oily skin and consumers seeking a matte finish.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/17/2013 12:42:00 PM More reviews by Ihaveahart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

No no no!!! Makes me look cakey does not keep me matte if rather stick to the Laura mercier loose setting powder!!!!! Ratchet ratchet not worth the money at all

rated 3 of 5 on 9/16/2013 1:56:00 PM More reviews by nreid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Note: This review is for the "translucent" shade of pressed powder.

PROS
-mild to no scent
-finely-milled product
-doesn't cake up, even with repeated applications
-doesn't oxidize
-packaging is secure
-sheer to light coverage
-can be layered (especially when hiding blemishes)
-affordable price

CONS
-doesn't control shine at all
-zero staying power
-no compartment for sponge/puff

I bought this powder on the recommendation of the positive reviews here on MUA. And while I certainly don't hate the powder, it has not at all lived up to the hype. And it's nothing to do with my skin-type; I really believe it's more to do with the actual product formulation itself (perhaps even with the specific lot of product my powder came from).

I have combination-dry skin. My nose gets a bit oily during the summer, but overall my skin is quite dry, especially in the winter. Strangely, within 30 minutes of applying this powder to my nose (using either a brush or flocked sponge), my nose will be shiny again. Every single day. And I've been using this powder for more than two months now. So I'm a bit puzzled as to why some of reviewers with oily to very oily skin praise this powder for its mattifying abilities. Sure, for me it reduces shine and actually gives me more of a nice glowy finish instead of a matte finish. But, unlike the name "Stay Matte" would indicate, this product does nothing of the sort. Since I have dry skin (sometimes even on my otherwise oily nose), I can't imagine why this powder doesn't keep my nose shine-free for more than a half hour regardless of the weather conditions, the makeup I'm wearing, or if I'm in a dry office or out in the open, humid summertime air.

Despite this lack of mattifying ability, I don't actually want a matte finish. I use tinted moisturizer and having an obviously matte finish with a powder will create a flat-looking spot in the middle of my otherwise dewy-looking face. Too many pressed powders do this to my face. So, in this regard I actually really like this powder because it doesn't lend a flat look to my makeup. And even though I do have to touch up my nose with it several times a day, I'm pleased that I can do so without there being a trace of any cakiness. It also works wonderfully under my eyes to set my concealer, and it doesn't cake up there or look obviously matte.

I've never had a problem with the pan's lid. Despite numerous reviewers claiming the lid easily comes loose from the pan, I've carted it around in my bag every day and never had the lid even come close to being loose. There are four small tabs around the outside rim of the pan that create a snug enough fit for the lid that, even with repeated removal of the lid, still maintain a snug fit between the pan and the lid. The only problem I have with the packaging is that there is no place to store the flocked sponge that I use with it. To me, this is an inconvenience enough to keep me from repurchasing - I hate having to carry a separate brush or sponge in my makeup bag.

Perhaps my experience with this powder is due to its being translucent. It could very well be that the other shades in the product line are indeed mattifying owing to what could be a different formulation. Overall, it's a very decent product, especially considering the affordable price-point. But, sadly, I won't be purchasing again simply because I would like to not have to reapply powder to my nose so soon and so often throughout the day.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2013 12:31:00 PM More reviews by blooiejagwa

I have dry skin but in summertime I need a good powder or else my foundation slides off and I become very oily looking. This is a better powder than Shiseido's, Chanel's (the poudre universelle), Guerlain (pressed or loose meteorites)--on my skin at least. I have tried all of the above with foundation, no matter what foundation, they all have a slight cakiness to them especially as the day goes on. The Shiseido one is sheerer and more 'invisible' compared to many other HE powders, but in the end, Rimmel's does the best job for me. a simple dusting is enough for a couple of hours, but touchups don't contribute to a powdery caked on look. The problem is it will not mattify and only works with certain foundations. I use the translucent shade, have med-tan skin in summer. Btw. A reviewer here said it says on the packaging that it will control shine for 8 hrs, but mine says 5 hours.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2013 9:38:00 PM More reviews by beautyheartsusxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This powder is AMAZING. It is great and keeps my makeup set all day. I have slightly oily skin and this still keeps it staying matte. This is defiantly a go-to product and for the price you should defiantly check it out!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2013 11:12:00 PM More reviews by livelynnlipstick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have this in transparent and I have a brown skin to e I love this translucent power and it smells really good.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2013 9:55:00 AM More reviews by GlamMomMUA

I tried this product recently bc I heard good things about it. I figured if it wasn't up to my standards I would only be taking a $3 loss. I have to say, I personally think this product is great. It gave me a great smooth matte finish that lasted 8 hrs without me having to reapply. I have combination skin but my makeup can get pretty muddy throughout the day, but not with this powder. I used the shade translucent and I wore it over my fav BB Cream. I def plan on repurchasing. I mean for the price... You can't go wrong! I do have to say that I'm not biggest fan of the packaging but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.