October 21, 2014 | 1837 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2011 12:03:00 AM More reviews by crysna

an old but still lovely and beautiful fragrance, a shame that the staying power is totally disappointing! 30 minutes later that i sprayed on me its barely noticeable, and for an EDP its a waste of money cuz its a expensive one. so i only use it for special times and with tons of sprays hahaha, COCO and coco mademoiselle are much better in longevity!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2011 10:48:00 PM More reviews by PrincessKim

Wow! I first bought Chanel No. 5 several years ago. I sprayed it on, and it seemed very strong and a little bit too mature and serious for regular wear, so it sat in a drawer for a few years.

Fast forward to yesterday. After watching Coco Before Chanel (which happens to star Audrey Tautou, Chanel No. 5's current spokesmodel), I thought it might be fun just to try the fragrance again.

I spritzed a bit on the sides of my neck, under my hair, and waited. The good old aldehydes came trumpeting out, just like last time. I'm still not fond of those, but I can appreciate them, the way someone who doesn't drink often might not like champagne, but can appreciate the artistry in a well-made bottle. The aldehyde opening cleared out within about a half hour.

The florals were next. As Mademoiselle Chanel intended, I didn't detect any recognizable flowers. Also, gone was the thick powderiness of my previous experience. In its place were rich, creamy flowers and a gentle sweetness that would later give way to the lovely drydown.

Fast forward a few hours, and the base of the fragrance came out. Mmm, my favorite. It's warm, comforting, and very amber-vanilla on me. Just perfect. Not as sweet as my pure vanillas, and not as harsh as some of the ambers I've tried. I can see why this fragrance is still so popular after 90 years!

I gave the packaging a 5 rating for the iconic bottle, but it would be nice if the liquid (I have the Eau de Parfum, by the way) was better protected from light. I just keep mine in a special perfume drawer, though.

Chanel No. 5 has made a convert of me. I will definitely be repurchasing!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2011 2:52:00 PM More reviews by Exquisite781

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I adore this perfume. It's very classy, elegant and sophisticated.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2011 1:05:00 AM More reviews by Ricardiana

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

A beautiful, elegant, sweet perfume. I spray edt on the back of my neck when my forties length hair is down; the scent lasts and lasts and keeps refreshing itself as I move my head around. The edp is more metallic and I don't use it often, but the edt is heavenly.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2011 7:39:00 PM More reviews by XxDeathXAngelxX

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I love this perfume. Had been wanting it ever since my bffs bf bought her some a while back but never had the money for it. While I was on my trip to nyc I decided to spend some of my cash on this and it was totally worth it! It's the perfect perfume! For those of you saying this is only for older women please stop. I'm 15 and so is my friend that has it and we both LOVE it. The one I got in nyc came with a spray bottle but I know the one my friend got here was the kind you just dabbed on, which I think would be a pain. Still one of the best perfumes out there (though not my signature scent, that would have to be " I love love")

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2011 2:16:00 PM More reviews by didi123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I sprayed this on me when I was at Le Bay few weeks ago. I almost jumped out of my skin at how bad this perfume smelled. It reminded me of an old grandaunt who keeps leftover perfumes from 30 years ago and they have all gone funky and horrid. I couldn't wait to run to the bathroom to wash it off from me. I read that Marilyn Monroe claimed this was the only thing she wore to bed, but Marilyn isn't living in 2011 where perfumes have evolved, tastes have changed and we are now spoilt for choices. I consider myself quite an old-fashioned girl at heart but even then, this perfume is just too old-smelling.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2011 6:21:00 PM More reviews by lindyloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This review is for the pure perfume.
For years now I have been searching for my "signature" fragrance. After reading the great book Perfumes the Guide by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez, I spent the big bucks and bought No. 5 pure perfume based on both thier reviews. They could not say more about the absolute beauty of No 5. Well, I have been wearing it for 3 days now and I am disappointed. First big complaint - after 3 hours I can barely detect a memory of it on me. And this is the pure perfume! It goes on very bright full of aldehydes - crisp, pungent a bit disturbing. After 30 minutes it melds into the most beautiful, rose floral - dreamy, warm, caressing, lovely, you can almost imagine your lover snuggling your neck. That lasts for about 2 hours - pure heaven - and then it is gone. Nothing but a very, very faint hint of what seems like a white musk. If it wasn't for the fact that I purchased this in the NYC Chanel boutique, I would have suspected that I purchased a fake. A pure perfume, especially No. 5 with its strong presence, should last more than 3 hours! I will use it and enjoy what is left, but would not invest in it again. I'm not sure if body chemistry truly plays a part in the longevity of scent, but if so, No 5 and I are not a good match.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2011 4:11:00 PM More reviews by FlameDancer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So much has been said about *what* Chanel no. 5 smells like that I would rather talk about the less quantifiable qualities that make it possibly my favorite scent ever produced within my lifetime.

I wear the EDT, to be specific, as I find the EDP has an odd metalic twinge and an 'eighties feel to it and lacks the true character of the scent, and the parfum, while truly stunning in quality, is less versatile (it reads as a grand and formal fragrance to me) and too expensive for me to indulge in right now.

The reason this is the scent I've come back to again and again since I was a teenager, is that it lends a sense of luxurious beauty to every possible situation. It's a very sexy scent to wear with lingerie, but it also reads as perfectly appropriate worn to work or with jeans. At the same time, it's fancy enough to wear to any kind of event from a dinner date to the opera. It's cold, it's warm, it's bright, it's sharp, it's velvety, sweetly floral, dry, spicy, smooth, it's youthful, it's sophisticated, it's nonchalant.

I think it's because of the blend of the highest possible quality natural ingredients with the blatant artificiality of the aldehydic sparkle that it's able to encompass all of these paradoxes and suit any kind of mood and personality. After all, it has been just as believable a signature fragrance for the dark-haired brainy business woman Coco Chanel herself as for the sexed up public persona of sensitive, sweet blonde bombshell Marilyn Monroe.

Above all, I love this because it's addictively appealing in the same way that gasoline or skunk spray is appealing to those odd ducks who've found themselves secretly enjoying those smells, only as ugly as gasoline and skunk spray are, Chanel no. 5 is beautiful instead. In the same way, you know while you eagerly sniff at it that it's not quite natural to love this smell, but you do anyway. That's how I feel about really exquisitely crafted aldehydic scents, and this one is by far my favorite of them. And from the reviews, it looks like you either get that secret appeal or you don't, just like with gasoline and skunk.

Of course I think this has a little to do with skin chemistry as well -- I know some people who find it to smell offensive on the bottle, but enjoy smelling it on me. I love it on the bottle as well as on myself, but I have smelled it turning sour or cloying on some people, too. Thankfully, because aldehydes in general aren't popular for my age bracket and area, it works for me as a non-ubiquitous staple signature fragrance (I can have more than one signature scent, no?) that can't be confused for any old mainstream perfume out right now.

I have worn Chanel no. 5 off and on for enough years now that it has come to smell like me, and I think I finally get how wonderful it feels to associate a scent with myself after about 15 years in this fragrance. It's as comforting to me now as it is luxurious and exquisite, and Chanel has another lifelong customer in me.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2011 12:56:00 AM More reviews by GothicGal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this! There is something very alluring about this fragrance. I used to wear it all the time, and it is definitely something I keep coming back to. Classy & elegant, and timeless. Love it!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2011 2:25:00 PM More reviews by fivezero

I've sampled the EDP twice now, and still don't see what the fuss is all about. The initial blast of aldehydes just makes me feel like I've stuck my nose into a just-opened can of ginger ale. It's really, really fizzy and that's mostly all I get for the next 30 min or so. At this point I don't understand at all the appeal of spending so much to smell like soda pop! :) The perfume doesn't stay very strong on me after the first hour. Thankfully the fizziness goes away and it's just some pretty, fairly mild, soapy white flowers for several hours. I like that the drydown is clean, elegant and not too sweet, but it also doesn't particularly interest me. No 5 is definitely not for me (a shame as the bottle is beautiful!). I did try Eau Premiere before I tried No 5 -- I liked that a lot and will possibly pick it up some day.