December 22, 2014 | 1851 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 2 of 5 on 9/7/2011 8:00:00 PM More reviews by sysco9

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I couldn't find the review for the chanel no.5 eau de parfum so I'm gonna write it on here. I got this as a gift from my aunt and it was I belive around 50-70$. I love the bottle because it gives a nice, light and even mist but I am not a fan of the smell I am 15 so this smell is way too old for me. I'm terrible at describing smells but this sent is definetly not floral to me anyways. So I may give this to my mom because she likes the smell so I would not repurchase this since the scent is too old for me :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2011 3:13:00 PM More reviews by hollyc01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Lindyloo, I totally sympathize. I have struggled with No. 5 for years. Keep trying it in both EdT and EdP and find them quite different from each other. I think in Chanel the EdT are truest to the original vision for their scents, but with No. 5 the EdT lasts about 20 mins. on me. Not as fond of the EdP with its heavy 80's jasmine vibe. So off I go to get the parfum. I really couldn't believe how poor the sillage and lasting power were even in the parfum (1.5 hours tops) and I'm reading more and more about this problem throughout the entire Chanel line. I really hope this venerable house isn't bowing to current insanity and turning all its beautiful creations into overpriced body sprays. I have given it a fairly good rating because I can see how beautiful it is meant to be and what went into its creation but somehow they have dropped the ball on this one. Too depressing . . . .
UPDATE: I am finding this one doesn't fully open up in the warm weather, but in cooler temperatures, my oh my! I am layering the EdT over the extrait and it is stunning. Hours and hours of sexy floral animalic sillage. To be perfectly honest, I added a drop of Brent Leonesio's No. 8 with it and I'm in pure vintage heaven. Takes it right back to the good old days of dirty sexy perfumes like it used to smell when my Mother wore it. It doesn't get better than this, it truly doesn't. Still haven't developed a love for the EdP, but hey, that could happen too!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2011 9:06:00 AM More reviews by JaneAnstee

This review is for the Eau de Parfum. Like another reviewer below, I struggled for years to understand why people raved about No 5. Then, one day, a Chanel SA encouraged me to test the Eau de Parfum - what a revelation! Finally I understood other people's adoration of this fragrance - the Eau de Parfum is so much richer, refined and sumptous tha the Eau de Toilette, which is what I had tried before. This perfume lasts for hours and hours on me - I usually spray it on at about 7.30 am, just before I leave for work, and it is still there when I get home about 10 hours later. One of my all time favourite perfumes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2011 11:12:00 AM More reviews by amlang

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Crisp, confident, elegant, timeless. Snow meets jasmine.

This review is for the parfum version. The EDT is so shrill on me that for years, I couldn't understand why anyone loved No. 5. The parfum version completely turned me around.

Invigorating aldehydes turn into seamlessly blended flowers. The far drydown—as in the morning after—is rich and beautiful. Chanel No. 5 is perfect for any occasion. Usually I wear it for long, long workdays. But I've enjoyed wearing it with jeans and cowboy boots to an indie concert.

Warmer than 1000 by Patou. Medium to big sillage. Incredible longevity (more than 12 hours).

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2011 6:02:00 PM More reviews by greenreed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I would wear this if in the mood to wear it. This newer version is not as choking as I remember and I quite like the dry down. It lasts on me. I think I might enjoy the soap, powder or lotion as an alternative.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2011 12:03:00 AM More reviews by crysna

an old but still lovely and beautiful fragrance, a shame that the staying power is totally disappointing! 30 minutes later that i sprayed on me its barely noticeable, and for an EDP its a waste of money cuz its a expensive one. so i only use it for special times and with tons of sprays hahaha, COCO and coco mademoiselle are much better in longevity!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2011 10:48:00 PM More reviews by PrincessKim

Wow! I first bought Chanel No. 5 several years ago. I sprayed it on, and it seemed very strong and a little bit too mature and serious for regular wear, so it sat in a drawer for a few years.

Fast forward to yesterday. After watching Coco Before Chanel (which happens to star Audrey Tautou, Chanel No. 5's current spokesmodel), I thought it might be fun just to try the fragrance again.

I spritzed a bit on the sides of my neck, under my hair, and waited. The good old aldehydes came trumpeting out, just like last time. I'm still not fond of those, but I can appreciate them, the way someone who doesn't drink often might not like champagne, but can appreciate the artistry in a well-made bottle. The aldehyde opening cleared out within about a half hour.

The florals were next. As Mademoiselle Chanel intended, I didn't detect any recognizable flowers. Also, gone was the thick powderiness of my previous experience. In its place were rich, creamy flowers and a gentle sweetness that would later give way to the lovely drydown.

Fast forward a few hours, and the base of the fragrance came out. Mmm, my favorite. It's warm, comforting, and very amber-vanilla on me. Just perfect. Not as sweet as my pure vanillas, and not as harsh as some of the ambers I've tried. I can see why this fragrance is still so popular after 90 years!

I gave the packaging a 5 rating for the iconic bottle, but it would be nice if the liquid (I have the Eau de Parfum, by the way) was better protected from light. I just keep mine in a special perfume drawer, though.

Chanel No. 5 has made a convert of me. I will definitely be repurchasing!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2011 2:52:00 PM More reviews by Exquisite781

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I adore this perfume. It's very classy, elegant and sophisticated.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2011 1:05:00 AM More reviews by Ricardiana

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

A beautiful, elegant, sweet perfume. I spray edt on the back of my neck when my forties length hair is down; the scent lasts and lasts and keeps refreshing itself as I move my head around. The edp is more metallic and I don't use it often, but the edt is heavenly.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2011 7:39:00 PM More reviews by XxDeathXAngelxX

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I love this perfume. Had been wanting it ever since my bffs bf bought her some a while back but never had the money for it. While I was on my trip to nyc I decided to spend some of my cash on this and it was totally worth it! It's the perfect perfume! For those of you saying this is only for older women please stop. I'm 15 and so is my friend that has it and we both LOVE it. The one I got in nyc came with a spray bottle but I know the one my friend got here was the kind you just dabbed on, which I think would be a pain. Still one of the best perfumes out there (though not my signature scent, that would have to be " I love love")