July 22, 2014 | 1906 users online

Cleansers - Desert Essence - Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2008 6:39:00 AM More reviews by thebigtrout

I like tea tree oil, so really hoped this would be great, but it just dried my skin out more and more and more each time I used it until I broke out everywhere, despite lots of moisturizer to combat the dryness. I believe coconut oil has this affect on my skin. I had the same issue with their bar soap that also contains tea tree oil and coconut oil. It was dreadful. I may try to use up my BIG bottle on my body, but in the past, I've found that coconut oil even dries out the skin on my body and leaves me parched and flaky, so we'll see! Glad this works for some, but it most definitely will not work for everyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2008 1:40:00 AM More reviews by uniquebreed

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LOVE this product. This is the best cleanser i have ever had. i bought this on a vacation trip from trader's joe (ran out of my travel sized cleanser) for less than $5 for 8 oz (if i rmb correctly). this has no SLS/SLES, no perfume, no silicone, no alcohol, only natural stuff; in other words, my ideal/perfect cleanser. I thought i would end up with a bottle of oily fluid cos of the amt of oils in the ingredients which i would have hated but, BUT it turned out to be foamy and very effective in cleansing.
Its amazing how something so watery can cleanse so well! I haven't had any trouble with the fluidity as i use a microfiber wash cloth, so i just dispense onto the cloth. didn't know that it bothered so many other reviewers here. Maybe one should look into that when using very 'watery' cleanser fluid.
Whilst many have commented on the lack of portability in the packaging, I managed to get home from the trip with out any mess. no ziplock bag whatsoever; Guess i got really lucky.
My previous cleanser from Jurlique gave me a tight feeling after cleansing, but this doesn't yet it does an awesome job getting rid of the oilies.
The smell is nothing i couldnt take.. :)
I would LOVE to buy this product again if i have the opportunity, but no trader joes near me, meanwhile imma dig real hard at organic skincare section of the grocers.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2008 12:57:00 AM More reviews by nogenrewriter

I have been using this product for a little over a month and am very happy with it. The scent is very strong, but I have gotten used to it and don't even think about it anymore. It really gives me a clean feeling, but I wouldn't say it "strips" my skin though. The watery consistency also takes some getting used to. I bought the 32-ounce at Vitamin Shoppe for $11 or so (which is such a steal, I'll probably have it for years and years!)
I gave it a four because I wouldn't consider in phenomenal (at fighting acne) which is my largest skin issue, but in conjunction with other things I use, I have seen a great difference in tone and texture of my skin.
Here's what I do:
Cleanse- Thoroughly Clean Face Wash by Desert Essence
Tone- T.N. Dickenson's Witch Hazel ($2 at Wal-mart)
Moisturize- Jojoba Oil (just two drops)
Heal- Aloe from an Aloe Vera plant
Exfoliate- Jason's Apricot Scrubble or Alba's Pineapple Enzyme Scrub

rated 1 of 5 on 6/27/2008 12:53:00 AM More reviews by nxyal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Eh, I didn't absolutely hate this product, but I didn't love it either. Which is a shame because I really wanted to like it. I tried it based on the good reviews here. You do have to get used to the smell, because it is very herbally and woodsy. If you hate herbal/grass/woodsy smells, you probably wouldn't like this. I feel maybe this would have lathered better if it were in a foam pump. It did make my face feel a little tight afterwards, but not too bad where my face was dry and flaking. When you use it in the shower - don't freak out if your face feels SQUEAKY clean - like a squeegeed window. It REALLY cleans off all the oil and whatever was on your face.

After couple of days of using this, I did notice little bumps popping up around my face. They weren't whiteheads, just bumps - maybe comedones without the head? Anyway, I got really annoyed by them and kept picking at them - which left scarring. I know that they say your skin "purges" whenever you use a new cleanser, but I could not give it 3 weeks to see if my skin would clear up or not, or get worse. So I just ditched this cleanser.

I did not return it, and will probably use it as a makeup brush cleaner or just a regular cleaner to clean the bathroom (it has castile soap in it, which is basically detergent).

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2008 3:50:00 PM More reviews by Virgodolce

I like this cleanser for when I'm feeling extra oily or have been sweating. It is quite drying and since I only use it under the above circumstances it hasn't had any negative effects on my skin. I don't really like the "squeaky clean" feeling that others have commented on, I feel like my skin is being stripped. I agree that its consistency is really watery and the packaging is ridiculously cheap. But all in all for an occasional use cleanser I like it.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/21/2008 2:11:00 PM More reviews by Lazee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used this for about 2 mnths along with DE jojoba oil. It did make my skin squeaky clean but it stripped it completely. It also did not help with my acne. With continual use my skin became irritated. When I would remove my make-up I got a stinging sensation and my face would burn. So I guess it sensitized my skin because when I stopped using it my skin started to feel comfortable again . So be warned..

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2008 3:39:00 PM More reviews by paridaryayi13

This is THE one cleanser i have always wanted/needed. It is all natural which means it fits perfectly into my all natural skin care...It is very gentle, but truly cleans ur face. While i can't say this has cleared up my breakouts, but i can honestly say it is helping me stay clear...nevertheless i know better than to think a cleanser can cure acne :) but it sure can help acne caused by clogged pores. however the packaging needs improvement...it leaks a lot...I traveled with it for that i had to wrapped it tightly with plastic bags...and then put it in a zip lock..thankfully it did not ruin anything :) nevertheless this does not stop me for buying this again and again ...it does lasts a long time...i am very pleased with this found!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/18/2008 1:36:00 PM More reviews by judibean

I really wanted to like this because it's got so much going for it, but the bottom line is that something in it, probably the tea tree oil, stings my eyes badly if I accidentally open them even slightly while washing. It also takes longer to rinse off the slick soapy feeling, hence more water being wasted. I am in the search for a new somewhat-natural cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2008 6:47:00 PM More reviews by meiren

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is THE cleanser for me. My long time love cetaphil has not seen the lights for quiet a while. This cleared my hormonal acne out of my face!!! This cleanser and witch hazel are keeping my face clean and clear :) All the prescription drugs weren't good enough for my sudden hormonal acnes. I get mine at the whole foods, and they offer discounts up to 50% from time to time. I usually stock mine when they're on sale. They have huge refill bottle too. It cleans pretty much of all the makeup for me, but then I don't usually wear heavy makeup. :P Smell is kind of strong (herbal) and it can sting eyes, but I can overlook it. I took a lippie off because I'm not fond of the packaging. When you carry it for traveling, it leaks even if you twist lock it, and that way you waste some product. I wish it was more gel-ish rather than water-y. You might want to test it before you try it as I noticed some people are simply allergic to even the most pure organic ingredients. The last reviewer said it isn't for everybody and I agree, and I am so glad it works for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2008 11:36:00 AM More reviews by edaniels

I've been using this face wash for years. I love it. It is the ONLY facial cleanser that has kept me breakout clear for probably 5 years - am I'm in my early 20s. It can be a little drying on my cheeks though but it's worth it. It didnt work for my sister though so it's not for everyone - I think it was a little too drying for her. Most places charge around $8 for the 8 oz. You can buy the refill bottle (32 oz) for about $12.