December 19, 2014 | 866 users online

Cleansers - Desert Essence - Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

rated 2 of 5 on 8/11/2008 2:35:00 PM More reviews by perfectionist_virgo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is one product I really wanted to love. It's not so obscure that it can't be found at the local Vitamin Shoppe or health food store. The ingredients list is fabulous and free of toxic chemicals. Yet even with all that going for it, this product has stripped me skin. After washing with this my skin ceased to be oily for the moment, however it only proceeded to produce more because it was stripped. My hydration level went down to nothing. This is something you might want to use if you've been washing your face with nothing but water for the past year, other than that I can't see it. I'm glad this is working for some people because for me this just isn't it!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/5/2008 2:30:00 AM More reviews by plastic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really, REALLY wanted to like this, but it broke me out horribly. I used it for a little over a week, and although my skin is not typically sensitive, this stuff made it really tender. Also, when I put my moisturizer on after washing my face with this, it burned! I ended up getting a really red rash on my cheeks after getting in the pool (I'd washed my face with this about 30 minutes beforehand). I liked the smell of this and the fact that it used mostly all-natural ingredients, but I'm still sending this one back to the store.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2008 6:39:00 AM More reviews by thebigtrout

I like tea tree oil, so really hoped this would be great, but it just dried my skin out more and more and more each time I used it until I broke out everywhere, despite lots of moisturizer to combat the dryness. I believe coconut oil has this affect on my skin. I had the same issue with their bar soap that also contains tea tree oil and coconut oil. It was dreadful. I may try to use up my BIG bottle on my body, but in the past, I've found that coconut oil even dries out the skin on my body and leaves me parched and flaky, so we'll see! Glad this works for some, but it most definitely will not work for everyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2008 1:40:00 AM More reviews by uniquebreed

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LOVE this product. This is the best cleanser i have ever had. i bought this on a vacation trip from trader's joe (ran out of my travel sized cleanser) for less than $5 for 8 oz (if i rmb correctly). this has no SLS/SLES, no perfume, no silicone, no alcohol, only natural stuff; in other words, my ideal/perfect cleanser. I thought i would end up with a bottle of oily fluid cos of the amt of oils in the ingredients which i would have hated but, BUT it turned out to be foamy and very effective in cleansing.
Its amazing how something so watery can cleanse so well! I haven't had any trouble with the fluidity as i use a microfiber wash cloth, so i just dispense onto the cloth. didn't know that it bothered so many other reviewers here. Maybe one should look into that when using very 'watery' cleanser fluid.
Whilst many have commented on the lack of portability in the packaging, I managed to get home from the trip with out any mess. no ziplock bag whatsoever; Guess i got really lucky.
My previous cleanser from Jurlique gave me a tight feeling after cleansing, but this doesn't yet it does an awesome job getting rid of the oilies.
The smell is nothing i couldnt take.. :)
I would LOVE to buy this product again if i have the opportunity, but no trader joes near me, meanwhile imma dig real hard at organic skincare section of the grocers.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/1/2008 12:57:00 AM More reviews by nogenrewriter

I have been using this product for a little over a month and am very happy with it. The scent is very strong, but I have gotten used to it and don't even think about it anymore. It really gives me a clean feeling, but I wouldn't say it "strips" my skin though. The watery consistency also takes some getting used to. I bought the 32-ounce at Vitamin Shoppe for $11 or so (which is such a steal, I'll probably have it for years and years!)
I gave it a four because I wouldn't consider in phenomenal (at fighting acne) which is my largest skin issue, but in conjunction with other things I use, I have seen a great difference in tone and texture of my skin.
Here's what I do:
Cleanse- Thoroughly Clean Face Wash by Desert Essence
Tone- T.N. Dickenson's Witch Hazel ($2 at Wal-mart)
Moisturize- Jojoba Oil (just two drops)
Heal- Aloe from an Aloe Vera plant
Exfoliate- Jason's Apricot Scrubble or Alba's Pineapple Enzyme Scrub

rated 1 of 5 on 6/27/2008 12:53:00 AM More reviews by nxyal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Eh, I didn't absolutely hate this product, but I didn't love it either. Which is a shame because I really wanted to like it. I tried it based on the good reviews here. You do have to get used to the smell, because it is very herbally and woodsy. If you hate herbal/grass/woodsy smells, you probably wouldn't like this. I feel maybe this would have lathered better if it were in a foam pump. It did make my face feel a little tight afterwards, but not too bad where my face was dry and flaking. When you use it in the shower - don't freak out if your face feels SQUEAKY clean - like a squeegeed window. It REALLY cleans off all the oil and whatever was on your face.

After couple of days of using this, I did notice little bumps popping up around my face. They weren't whiteheads, just bumps - maybe comedones without the head? Anyway, I got really annoyed by them and kept picking at them - which left scarring. I know that they say your skin "purges" whenever you use a new cleanser, but I could not give it 3 weeks to see if my skin would clear up or not, or get worse. So I just ditched this cleanser.

I did not return it, and will probably use it as a makeup brush cleaner or just a regular cleaner to clean the bathroom (it has castile soap in it, which is basically detergent).

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2008 3:50:00 PM More reviews by Virgodolce

I like this cleanser for when I'm feeling extra oily or have been sweating. It is quite drying and since I only use it under the above circumstances it hasn't had any negative effects on my skin. I don't really like the "squeaky clean" feeling that others have commented on, I feel like my skin is being stripped. I agree that its consistency is really watery and the packaging is ridiculously cheap. But all in all for an occasional use cleanser I like it.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/21/2008 2:11:00 PM More reviews by Lazee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used this for about 2 mnths along with DE jojoba oil. It did make my skin squeaky clean but it stripped it completely. It also did not help with my acne. With continual use my skin became irritated. When I would remove my make-up I got a stinging sensation and my face would burn. So I guess it sensitized my skin because when I stopped using it my skin started to feel comfortable again . So be warned..

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2008 3:39:00 PM More reviews by paridaryayi13

This is THE one cleanser i have always wanted/needed. It is all natural which means it fits perfectly into my all natural skin care...It is very gentle, but truly cleans ur face. While i can't say this has cleared up my breakouts, but i can honestly say it is helping me stay clear...nevertheless i know better than to think a cleanser can cure acne :) but it sure can help acne caused by clogged pores. however the packaging needs improvement...it leaks a lot...I traveled with it for that i had to wrapped it tightly with plastic bags...and then put it in a zip lock..thankfully it did not ruin anything :) nevertheless this does not stop me for buying this again and again ...it does lasts a long time...i am very pleased with this found!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/18/2008 1:36:00 PM More reviews by judibean

I really wanted to like this because it's got so much going for it, but the bottom line is that something in it, probably the tea tree oil, stings my eyes badly if I accidentally open them even slightly while washing. It also takes longer to rinse off the slick soapy feeling, hence more water being wasted. I am in the search for a new somewhat-natural cleanser.