November 27, 2014 | 1366 users online

Liquid - Giorgio Armani - Luminous Silk Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 4/19/2013 7:21:00 AM More reviews by silvermouse

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I managed to get a sample of this from the Armani counter where I was matched with shade 7 Tan. FYI I am NC42, Chanel B60, Revlon Colourstay Natural Tan, NARS Barcelona. I find the colour match to be decent but shade 7 runs a little pink compared to the other foundations that I have. I top it with a light dusting of a yellow toned powder which corrects the shade and sets the foundation

I put a few drops onto the back of my hand, dot it on my face then work it in with a Sigma F80 flat top kabuki brush. This leaves a nice, smooth finish and as promised, a beautiful luminous glow which other foundations lack. The coverage is medium but buildable.

My only problem with it is the lasting power. With a primer, I notice my pores starting to show at the 4-6 hour mark. Without it, I only get to mid morning before I have to touch up. A shame really considering how beautiful it is when first applied. My skin is reasonably oily but by comparison, the normal/dry formulation of the Revlon Colourstay lasts all day without requiring touch ups
I've tried the Lasting silk which is heavier, a little more cakey and has the same lasting power as the Luminous silk.

It's expensive at AU$90. While I am using the sample, I'm enjoying it but for the price and the average lasting power, I don't think I'll purchase the full size.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2013 1:57:00 PM More reviews by Gracielleanne

I am absolutely in love with this foundation. You can control the amount of coverage you want and it lasts all day with a setting powder. It is luminous, but not shiny (not oily looking). It also looks natural in person and airbrushed in pictures. I used this for my engagement photoshoot and it photographed very well. If you have the money to splurge, I suggest giving this one a try.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/11/2013 3:02:00 AM More reviews by JuliaCaesaris

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Should have been called "Zero Coverage" foundation. Seriously this hasn't even covered the mildest redness on my face. It was invisible but so was the coverage. If you have any redness or pigmentation I do not recommend it, its the same as using a regular moisturizer.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2013 11:27:00 AM More reviews by jchoi128

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

You can't tell something is good unless you compare it.

I have all the good things to say about this product.
Honestly, I bought it because it's been hyped up in every magazine and wanted to see what made this foundation so special. But I really couldn't find anything special about it for awhile (few months) until now. It is a good high quality foundation -- no doubt about it.

MY SKIN and what I look for in a foundation:
I have pretty good skin with very few small blemishes here and there on my cheek, forehead, etc. I am always looking for light coverage and spot concealing. So this foundation is being reviewed from a light coverage opinion.

PROS:
1. Very fine yet highly pigmented so you only need very little if you're looking for light coverage. Don't try using a brush. Brush does give you more coverage than using your fingers for application in my opinion. I use 1/2 pump on average (a small dot) and sometimes full pump if I feel like I want to cover a little more. I really haven't found any foundation that I can use so little product and get the same result.

2. Luminous yet not glowing, greasy finish. It sometimes looks slightly matte but it's luminous. Good finish which photographs incredibly well. It makes my skin look like it's been airbrushed in photos -- not in real life obviously.

3. Pump bottle -- thank you! Love this pump bottle and good design of the bottle. It's pretty to look at. The pump is rather easy to control for me. Some reviewers seem to disagree.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2013 9:17:00 AM More reviews by leserpent

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

First I'll say I don't own one, but I let a make-up artist do me a make-up with this just yesterday. I am very pale so she used the shade #2 on me. Before foundation she used some serum for the dry areas and Armani BB cream to tone down the redness. She applied the foundation light-handedly, so the outcome was pretty natural looking, but nothing to wow! about. Matte and seemed to go well with my skin tone. When I arrived home a few hours later I noticed my face was yellow, ugh. Maybe it was the initial light or maybe it oxidized. Any way, pale skinned people, beware, and don't be too hasty buying it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2013 12:35:00 PM More reviews by 101starryeyed

I bought this over the weekend as it was recommended by a friend (who's skin always looks flawless), and I was a child at Christmas! The consistency is quite thin, and i have a lot of acne scars so when the assistant put a little on my face, i wasnt convinced as i couldnt see it, nor did it cover my scars enough. but i went on a little faith on my friend and bought it anyway. went home and under better light and with my trusted foundation brush, i dabbed small dots over face, blended, and then built it up with a few more dots over my scars, and voila! best foundation iv ever used!. it looked completely natural (I hate the cakey look- esp when you're building up over scars) but this didnt look blotchy/caked at all, i didnt even need to put concealer on the scars before, my skin was genuinely luminous, natural, and I got loads of compliments. my initial concerns over the price was thrown- now i feel the £35 i payed for it was a bargain for the professional "model-quality" look. its great because my skin can get really oily, but i felt that even though after a few hours the oil buildup did begin, it was nowhere near the oil buildup i got with Bare Minerals loose powder foundation (surprising as I always thought liquid foundation made oil worse). This is now my lifelong foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2013 9:56:00 PM More reviews by vmotis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Beautiful foundation! Beautiful packaging! My morning routine is so enjoyable with this as part of my makeup collection.

This is the foundation the girls wore in the television show Downton Abbey. If you're not familiar with it, it's a period drama that takes place in the early 1900s - so needless to say, the makeup used on set focuses around creating creamy, dewy complexions to achieve a no-makeup look. I definitely feel like I achieve that look when I wear this foundation.

The consistency is very thin and light and has a light, fresh scent to it. I was told not to use a makeup sponge with this foundation because it would absorb too quickly into the sponge and product would be wasted. It doesn't always melt into the skin, so you sort of need to press or pat it in where you notice it not blending properly. Coverage is light and can be built up somewhat. If you have red spots or blemishes, I would recommend concealer, as this won't really cover them completely (I am very, very pale, and the only concealer I've found that matches my skin perfectly is the Amazing Cosmetics brand). On that note, the color selection is strange and goes by undertone. I wouldn't recommend buying this without getting your color matched. I'm number 3. Number 2 oxidized on my face and turned mustard within seconds.

The only downside I've personally found is that the coverage doesn't always seem to last throughout the day - so I took off a lippie. I'm used to wearing Revlon Colorstay for oily/combination skin, and with that foundation, my skin stays matte all day (but admittedly, ends up looking a little made up or dull). This luminous silk foundation can look greasy throughout the day - but nothing touch-ups or blotting paper can't help. I just bought Le Blanc de Chanel base to wear underneath, so if that makes a difference, I will update my review. I already notice my skin looks more luminous with the base underneath it. :)

* Edit: I just wore the base and foundation today on a grueling hike in hot weather, and surprisingly, my makeup stayed looking fresh by the end of it! I thought I'd be an oil slick or worst, have melted foundation visibly covering my face -- but my skin continued to look even colored, blemish-free, and luminous. I'm not sure if that says more about the base than the foundation on its own. *

Overall, I really love this foundation and I would recommend it to anyone looking to create a fresh, dewy complexion.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2013 11:12:00 AM More reviews by katrina20

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this foundation in the lightest shade for around £33 at Selfridges. The product is runny and light so I was doubtful that it was going to cover my acne scars and redness. However I was surprised, i used a tiny amount to start with and this gave a sheer coverage, I opted to use a little more and eventually this did cover my problem areas. The foundation did not dry out my skin as most foundations do and never looked cakey or false. I felt this foundation was great for everyday use as it looks very natural but personally it didnt give that medium - full coverage I like for a night out or a special occasion. The only issue I have with this product is that after a around 2-3 hours wear my acne scars began to show, I was using a considerable amount of the product so therefore the foundation did not last me long at all and quickly became expensive.
Overall if you are fortunate enough to have lovely skin this product is great but for those who have problem areas like myself you would need to use a significant amount for it to cover issues completely, this did work for my dry skin and did not cause me breakouts but for I am in need of something that stays on my face a little longer.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2013 8:31:00 AM More reviews by tissuebox

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Been using this foundation for several years now.. for me, it gives just enough coverage. I actually mix two shades (5 and 6) in order to get the perfect match for my skin colour. In the summer, I add a little more or the darker (6) colour and in winter a little more of the lighter colour.. tailor-made foundation! Highly recommended :-)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/13/2013 8:12:00 PM More reviews by laurabelle0202

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like this product because I'm acne prone and my skin is always the clearest when using this foundation. It has good staying power for my combination skin. It can however, get oily looking or emphasize dry patches depending on the state of my skin. It's definitely a foundation that looks best when your skin underneath looks best. It provides sheer-light medium coverage. It won't cover red pimples but will make them look less noticeable. Color matching has been frustrating for me. 4.75 is a little too pink and 5 is a little yellow for me. 4.5 is too dark and too orange. Right now I'm using the 5. My best match has been studiofix powder in NW20. I hope they come out with more shades in this line.