December 22, 2014 | 1815 users online

Liquid - Giorgio Armani - Luminous Silk Foundation

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2013 6:45:00 PM More reviews by Dive14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

OMG!!! Why, WHY WHY don't I ever learn!? PLEASE NOTE that although a foundation may state "dermatologically tested" blah blah etc. it can still contain HIGHLY pore-clogging ingredients and is very likely to cause cosmetic acne in some people. I am specifically referring to the ingredient "Polyglyceryl-4 isostearate" which is the ester of isostearic acid (rated as severely comedogenic) and polyglycerin-4. After reading all the reviews, I (kind of comfortingly, which is sick I know) came to the conclusion my experience was the same as many others, particularly ynnej's - basically broke out ALL OVER (particularly the places that I had sweated throughout the day more... interesting) in little red bumps that turned into bigger bumps and I break out rarely; 1 blemish a month if that. Despite this I wanted so much to like it (because the finish really is that of "luminous silk") that I thought my first bottle must have "gone off" in some way i.e. past its expiration date. So I decided to buy and try it again, hoping that this time it would be different and the bottle wouldn't be added to my ever-growing cosmetics graveyard. Unfortunately the exact same thing happened, hence my now late-night outpouring of emotion on MUA. I'm so thankful for the internet, so at least I can now research ingredients and their find out comedogenic-rating so I know what to look out for and avoid in future, rather than simply keeping testing things out and wrecking my complexion. Just wanted to post this review to hopefully stop others out there doing the same...

15 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2013 6:15:00 AM More reviews by Sue_raisin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This has been on my radar for years, but I only just took the plunge and re-mortgaged my home to buy it yesterday.
My first impression is that it feels light on the skin, it's been about three years since I've worn a liquid (been a BE minerals devotee of recent times) and I don't think I remember any formula I've used in the past to ever be this light. It's got good slip, and applies perfectly with a foundation brush, giving medium coverage and a glowing finish. I do have a few tiny scars from spot picking around my mouth and chin and this covers them but not completely - you would have to use a concealer for a complete flawless finish, however if you have reasonably good skin I'd say you could get away with wearing just this on it's own. It's my first day wearing it so I don't have anything to report on how long it stays on for but will update later.
Update: it breaks my heart to say this but I have relegated this to the back up drawer. It was making my skin oily and sadly, the foundation wears off in patches after about 3 hours wear. I would never get this with a mineral makeup. It means you're applying a few times throughout the average day (assuming you wear your make up from morning until you go to bed at night) and quite frankly I just don't have the time for this.
That said I reckon I'll break this out for special occasions where I know that pictures will be taken (unfortunately BE minerals give a strange ghost-ish white cast in pictures) so I'll end up using it up, but it's not an every day foundation for me.
If you have normal-dry skin with few blemishes I imagine this would look stunning.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2013 2:18:00 PM More reviews by Sari7

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this foundation! I have a very oily t-zone and blemishes. this foundation provides great coverage yet it's light. I do not need a primer or setter to wear this all day long without any shine. my skin is also has a yellow/olive tone so the foundation with the yellow undertone matches beautifully to my skin. applies smoothly without needing too much and does not come off on my clothes etc. I have found my holy grail foundation!

I've already worn it through the worst of the heat wave and it stayed on all day! And because it is not heavily scented, i don't have to worry about sneezing or irritating me and my eyes.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/4/2013 5:16:00 AM More reviews by mikkazz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I don't like this at all. It gets flaky and blotchy on my skin and during the day it gets oily... The only good thing is that it comes in a lot of colors that fits everyone. It's also very expensive and the pump is bad. I had high expectations on this foundation but I got disappointed. Maybe my skin don't fit this foundation because many people seems to like it. But I don't recommend this if you have dry skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2013 6:00:00 PM More reviews by RajiS

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

After using Luminous Silk for 7 years I can safely say I would never buy another foundation again.

My cheeks can tend to look a bit red (thank you broken capillaries) but generally, my skin is pretty clear and even. My skin type is generally normal (but sometimes prone to dryness) and I have a slightly oily T-zone. Overall, a weird combination. For this reason I've never needed or wanted a heavy foundation but instead I've looked for light foundations that maintain good, long lasting coverage.

I've found that this foundation sinks nicely into the skin so it looks completely natural, which is perfect if you want to wear it every day without looking like you've made far too much effort. It gets rid of any red patches I might have and gives me that nice "glow" I've always read about. Because it's light I've found that even if I wear it all day over a long period of time (I normally don't wear foundation on a day to day basis and try to keep it to special occasions) it doesn't play about with my skin or cause me to break out. A little goes a long way too, I use the tiniest amount for full coverage and I've never ever come close to finishing a pot (but obviously, as with any make up you should replace it once it expires). Because of this, the expensive price tag feels justified!

On it's own it's good, but with primer (I use MAC but that's mostly because I've never bothered to look anywhere else) and with the Luminous Silk loose powder on top it sets so nicely to give an expensive, airbrushed look. The best part is my t-zone doesn't oil up even after hours of wear (without touch ups!) so I thankfully don't look greasy by the end of the night. I also use it with their highlighter (No 10 to replace my bronzer and / or No 2 to highlight the cheeks and brow bones).

As a set, it IS expensive but I promise you if you do go for it you won't look back! They will try to convince you that it works even better with their even pricier designer shaping brush but that's not true. Although the brush itself is fine, that's all it is - fine. I prefer using my £8 brush that I picked up from the drugstore! Overall, the foundation is perfect for people who want an every day foundation that gives full coverage without feeling heavy on the skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/30/2013 8:40:00 PM More reviews by Meech25

I got a sample of this after hearing rave reviews of this foundation.
Im an NC-35 in MAC, and was matched to the 5.5
I like the foundation, there is really nothing wrong with it. But i have oily skin.
I think this would be a really nice foundation on dry skin ladies, but it made me a little greasy in the T-zone and it's not really worth the $60 for me!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2013 4:05:00 AM More reviews by Anna12345

I bought this after watching a video by Lisa Eldridge about her favourite foundations. I've always used medium to full coverage foundations to cover my uneven, freckly skin tone, which is prone to blemishes and scars in the chin area. However, as I've become a little older, I've noticed that I need to go a bit lighter with my foundation to create a more natural look, so I thought that this would be a good product to achieve this.

I purchased the shade 4 which is perfect for my NC20, neutral to warm complexion. The finish is semi-matte to dewy. I would use this in winter as I don't think it would withstand humid summer days. Coverage is light and not build-able: it definitely does not cover all of my blemishes and scars, so I need to spot conceal over the top to cover any marks and redness showing through.

I use Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation (shade Desert Beige - very close in colour to this foundation) through the centre of my face to cover redness and my Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer (shade SC3) to cover up blemishes. As you can see, it takes a few more "steps" and other products to achieve the desired look, so this Armani foundation is a bit more work than I would like an expensive product to be.

I really wanted to like this foundation but I have mixed feelings about it. On days when my skin is in good condition, I think this foundation is fantastic. I love how my freckles show through and how it evens out my skin tone without creating a mask-like effect. I've received complements about how fresh my skin looks. However, on days when my skin is a bit more sensitive or red looking, I'm not confident that this foundation is giving me the coverage I need.

Also, the finish can be a bit hit-and-miss: if I use Clarins' Beauty Flash Balm as a primer, this foundation seems to go on smoothly but if I use my Laura Mercier Oil-free Primer, it sits in my pores and looks powdery and streaky, so it's important to experiment and select products that work with this foundation.

Overall, there are too many "inconsistencies" with this product, so I would not be repurchasing it. At $90 (AUS), I think I can find a cheaper alternative that doesn't require so much effort. In fact, I think Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation in shade 52 is very similar in shade and texture but is cheaper and offers more coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2013 12:25:00 PM More reviews by MilaJH

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Best foundation I've ever used. Found my holy grail.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2013 6:27:00 AM More reviews by Beautyveiled

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my holy grail foundation! It has an amazing flawless finish on my combination skin. It doesn't oxidise and it has amazing lasting power with a decent primer. I cannot fault this except for maybe the price. However,Nars Sheer Glow works out the same price when you include buying the pump. This also photographs beautifully. I wear shade 6.25 which matches my nc30/35 STROMBOLI skin. where have you been all my life?

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2013 3:00:00 AM More reviews by katarinapierce

This is a lovely foundation especially for the evening, it photographs beautifully without flashbacks, a really good choice for important occasions.
I like that it is subtly luminous and does not irritate my skin. Medium-buildable coverage, excellent for good-skin days. You are however expected to use a concealer to cover up eye-bags/acnes.

I use it with the Armani Light Master Primer and lasts me the whole day, though I may need to blot my T-zone a little by the evening. The lasting power is great set it with powder.

The cons of this foundation is definitely the price, but I guess it's good to have this foundation in your collection like I said for important events. I am not surprised if make up artists suggest using this foundation for weddings.

For your reference I am a little bit lighter than NC20 and I am in shade #3 recommended by the lady at the counter (she tested out several shades on my face). I have normal/dry skin with occasional break-outs, slightly oily T-zone.

**if you have oily skin you may find the luminosity offensive.