Merle Norman Ultra Powder Foundation

4.4

Mica, Talc, Dimethicone, Nylon-12, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Methicone, Tocopheryl Linoleate, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Proplyparaben, Fragrance (Parfum) 101905.

Another purchase based on MUA reviews and am so happy that I did. This is the best foundation that I've used and I have already repurchased twice.

I was using MUFE powder foundation and lightest shade was too dark and went a bit orange on me. I am extremely pale and can never find a shade light enough and found that in the summer the second lightest shade Cameo is a great match. For winter I switched to the lightest shade Fair and it is a perfect match.

There is a fragrance to this but I don't notice any smell once I put it on. This lasts all day on me with a touch up of Clean and Clear powder. This is definitely a HG for me!

Recently, I became curious about this brand after reminiscing about my makeover at a Merle Norman studio when I was a teenager a million years ago. It was the 80's and everything was big and gaudy, including the makeup. At the time, I came out of that makeover looking like I couldn't make the cut as a Dynasty cast member. I began to wonder if things had changed with Merle Norman and if they had any decent products I was missing out on now. Off to read reviews this foundation sounded so tempting to me so I rolled the dice on ebay and won it for next to nothing. I love it! I am 42, I have very good normal/dry skin. some of my favorite foundations are Stephane Marais, Neutrogena healthy skin enhancer, Elizabeth Arden Mousse LP cellular radiance and the caviar one, Awakes skin renovation, Becca's LSE , Diorskin pefect light and Kevyn Aucoins SSE. So I've tried a lot and I pronounce this one a winner. It's not as dewy as I expected but it is lovely on. Not at all greasy, probably medium coverage but not at all masky or noticeable. It evens me out and with a primer on my nose, chin and forehead it lasts all day. I was incredibly lucky to get a perfect match by purely guessing. I am an NW20 on the very light end and I wear this in Cream. This is luxurious and gives a really beautiful soft focus look to my skin. I love it.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have extremely oily skin AND live in humid South Georgia, so when I say that I have problems wearing makeup on my face and not my clothes, please note that this is not an understatement. But the MN Ultra Powder has been, so far, the best when it comes to staying power and shine free coverage. The coverage is velvety smooth and it's great at covering imperfections. It's not perfect mind you. My t-zones start glistening after two or three hours and if you use a heavy hand it can look a bit too cakey and surreal. Other reviewers have mentioned the "old lady" scent and old fashioned case. It's true, it's not the most chic thing to carry, but it's like my Honda Civic: it might not get ooh's and aahh's when I take it out, but it's dependable and damn good at what it does.

I've been using this from a sample for the last 3 days and I really dislike it. The coverage is too light, too powdery (now I see where the ULTRA powder name came in) and has almost no staying power. Only the extremely oily could be happy with this. Regular face powder is as good as this. Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Powder Makeup is the way to go if you want a powder foundation.

This is my hg powder, the color is a perfect match. The texture is velvety. Although this is the longest lasting powder I have tried, I wish it would last longer (shine-prone). The compact is huge, but that means a huge mirror. Includes a nice squishy sponge for smooth texture. As this compact aged, the powder cracked a bit.

When I was younger, I wanted something that would cover all my imperfections, but still look natural. I went to my nearest Merle Norman counter, and asked what I should do. They suggested the Luxiva Ultra Powder Foundation. When I first tried it, it covered everything. It evened out my skin tone and looked awesome. After the first few weeks, my skin felt dry. Then, it started flaking.
I started using a moisturizer, but my skin still flaked when I used the foundation. I will not buy this again.

I have very oily and acne prone skin. I recently decided to try the popular mineral makeup line. I switched to it from this foundation and it was the worst mistake. It irritated my skin and caused moderate acne. I am going back to MN Ultra Powder foundation. It is truly the best I've tried however for me it doesn't seem to stay put all day; I do need to touch up about mid day.

I just bought this yesterday, and am wearing it today, but wanted to give my preliminary opinion. So far, I like the way it looks and the way it applied this morning. I applied it kind of sparingly because I didn't want a heavily made up look, but I can still kind of see the dark spots I have from past acne, so tomorrow I'll have to work on better coverage of those. It doesn't appear oily at all, on my skin. But, my skin has been dried out by acne medication. That's why I bought this, because my skin has gotten so dry. Anyway, I will update this after I've used it for at least a month or so, to make sure it doesn't break me out.---UPDATE 1/29/07---I stopped using this. Each day that I wore it, I had a few whiteheads. So, I returned it. It does have several oils in it.

Lots of my friends absolutely LOVE this makeup, so i bought it, thinking I'd be swept away, and it was OK, but like another member said, the smell was the first thing I noticed. My skin felt really tight and dry wearing it, and the shade...something CHIFFON..was a little too light for me. I might would buy this again to use in summer months, when Im a little oily. However, they have two other types of foundation that are favorites of mine.

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love this foundation. I usually wear it over a liquid foundation for better coverage though. Merle Norman is such a good line, I've been using it for over 40 years!! This powder foundation is never chalky looking. I'm fair, but like a bit of color, so "Buff" is a good color for me.