April 19, 2014 | 1025 users online

Stick - Maybelline - Fit Me Shine-Free Foundation Stick

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2013 8:33:00 PM More reviews by PiMehMeh

As someone with combination oily skin that's especially oily during the summer, of course I was drawn to this foundation as an option for matte-finish. I got my hands on shade 220. Nevermind that it doesn't actually state that it's oil-free nor that it's oil-controlling! Assuming that it's a gel-to-powder foundation, it's less likely to let shine through, right?

... Well on its own, it only controls shine for about 3 to 4 hours before I start to glisten, even with toner and oil-free moisturizer. I should note that this is in hot, 100°F climates, both dry outdoor and humid indoor, so I'm sure this has better staying power in cooler conditions. On application, it does have a natural-looking, matte finish, but the coverage is pretty sheer, and had the same issue with buildable color that I had with Maybelline's Dream Matte Mousse foundation: it doesn't seem to build on itself, and it transfers. It only rubs off the color that's already been laid down, unless I powder the first layer and then apply the second layer. This is ok for when my skin is pretty clear as it does even out minor redness and faded acne scars, but if I need coverage for newer breakouts or darker scars, I have to switch to a more fuller-coverage foundation. I personally feel that the original Maybelline FIT me! foundation in the liquid formula has more coverage than the Shine-Free incarnation. While it has a more luminous finish, it can be toned down with a matte powder to achieve practically the same result as the Shine-Free foundation, if not better.

Another issue with this foundation that everyone harps on is that it is only 9g of product; factor out some ingredients like fillers and water found in most 30g/1oz foundations and the amount of product you get is a little easier to accept if you just need a bare-bones, everyday foundation that happens to be compact enough to take on the go. Just have a powder compact for touch-ups as well.

But as someone who needs more out of her foundation, I can't accept this; Maybelline's Dream Matte Mousse contains 18g of product for about the same price--about $8. bareMinerals' powder foundation jars also contain 9g of buildable-coverage, loose powder for $25; no fillers, liquids, or creams to weigh it down. And finally, Maybelline's SuperStay 24HR Makeup--my go-to for affordable, matte, long-wearing, waterproof foundation with excellent coverage--is $8-9 for 30ml/1oz of product, 3x that of FIT me! Shine-Free and still the same price.

Honestly, this isn't a bad product for those who prefer light, natural-looking makeup or just need something for lazy days or errand outings; I keep this around for my weekends lounging at home. But for all-day or strenuous affairs like work, parties, or formal events when pigmentation, staying power and shine-control is a must, there are definitely better foundations.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2013 2:55:00 AM More reviews by sweetascandie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Very pleased with this foundation! Reminds me of Max Factors Pan Stick, that I used to us, before they quit selling it here in the us. Pefect for my dry skin, and freackles. Covered them great!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/13/2013 5:28:00 PM More reviews by Principesa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been looking for a semi-matte foundation that doesn't look like a mask or make wrinkles look worse. I do like the convenience of a stick, I had one from Avon that was good but of course they stopped making it. I got this one in 120 light medium shade to avoid a pale chalky look I get with lighter shades. It did seem to go on matte but coverage was minimal even with building up. Within a couple hours I looked greasy and I don't really have oily skin anymore. Not a flattering glow, just like I had greasy skin and hadn't bothered to do anything with myself. I kept trying it with different moisturizer but then I actually started getting zits on my chin! Well this had not happened for so many years it had to be this foundation. Lucky it was only $7. So basically not matte, made me oily, wrinkly and zitty. Not recommended.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2013 11:37:00 PM More reviews by Crissy009

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Shade: 340 - Cappuccino
Coverage: Light - medium
Longevity: It will last at least 6 hours of reasonable wear. I wouldn't wear it for partying...

*Not the matte finish you'd expect.

It's pretty great stuff. I have a very oily t-zone and the product did ok with the oil. I will always have to set any foundation I use anyway. What I was most impressed with was the colour match and texture. This shade has a yellow undertone, which isn't great for everyone but it's perfect for me. It just disappears on my skin, and covers just enough while still looking natural. It glides on, and blends easily so I can throw this on in a hurry before work or something.

Overall, I love stick foundations and Maybelline did a great job with this. Please don't discontinue!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2013 2:24:00 PM More reviews by SamanthaJo19

Really love this product! I bought two shades, 120 and 220. My walgreens only had one of each color. 220 matched me better than 120 which was very light. I was taken by surprise of this foundation. My first stick fdnt and love it already! The consistency is creamy, and gives light-medium coverage but build able. I swiped it on my face and used RT EFB to blend. I felt my face it felt like my own skin, not sticky or anything. Just amazing! Haven't used setting powder yet and I'm not oily. Will update shortly.

Update: Still loving this fdnt! I've worn it daily instead of my HF HE fdnt. This has SO much better oil control than my KVD lock it. My nose gets really oily in the summer, and this stick controls it wonderfully.
Update: This began feeling a little weird on my skin. Like oily, but my skin isn't very oily.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/12/2013 2:44:00 AM More reviews by fashe

This foundation is horrid from my personal experience. It says it is mattifying - but at significant costs. It accentuated my pores with an unnatural finish, and the worst part is that it actually makes my skin SO oily after. I have really oil T zone and I thought this foundation would be a life saver. I used to have to at least blot 1 to 2 times a day, but with this foundation I literally had to blot every hour! It mattifies for the first 10 minutes, but then my face would go crazy and produce large amount of oil, perhaps to offset the dryness. Definitely a no go for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2013 2:50:00 PM More reviews by fermidiracgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is great!! For 8 bucks, you get medium-to-full coverage in a stick, and it really does control shine very well! That said, its not for dry skin. I am also impressed with the color selection of this line. I am NW20 in MAC, and I take shade 120 here. I also have used their liquid foundation and pressed powder, also in shade 120 and really like those as well. Its high quality foundation, but very cheap. Sometimes my makeup wears off during the day because I touch my face a lot, and the stick is very convenient. Also, I am very acne prone, and this does not break me out or clog me. Will def. buy again, as I have repurchased the liquid fdn in this shade several times.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/9/2013 12:16:00 PM More reviews by jezzi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this to have as a more inexpensive alternative to my beloved Shiseido Stick Foundation, shade I20. Glamstep's review is spot on, Fit in shade 120 is too pink and 130 is too dark for us pale yellow/olive ladies. Love the feel of it though I have not tested the longevity yet. Maybelline, you're missing a crucial shade!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/9/2013 10:49:00 AM More reviews by Ruch

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Every time i wear this foundation my skin breaks out. It has an odd smell to it. But the coverage is light to medium. Overall though i like the way it feels as if im wearing nothing

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2013 12:50:00 PM More reviews by l3th4rgic

This is another sample I got from my Cosmo magazine and I fell in love! I sampled Natural Beige in 220 and it fit me perfectly. Thanks to the shine-free core, my cheeks didn't get oily at all. I'm definitely buying this soon. :)