October 24, 2014 | 1741 users online

BB Cream - Tarte - BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2013 4:45:00 PM More reviews by wiscowhitney

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have used different types of liquid foundation for as long as I've been wearing makeup because of the dryness of my skin. When I ran out of the foundation I was using, I had a sample of this BB Cream and decided to give it a try for a few days. Since the BB Cream is sort of heavy, but doesn't match my skin tone, I cover it with Coastal Scents pressed powder foundation. The combination is perfect. The second or third day of wearing this combo, I was looking at my face in the mirror after a full day of work and thought that my new skin routine had completely minimized my pores. It hadn't, it was just that the coverage of this BB Cream covers so well and lasts so long that they were still hiding about 12 hours after I applied the cream.

I find that I need a heavy moisturizing on my face before I put this cream on. That is mostly due to my dry skin, I am not sure everyone will need to do it. I agree with other reviewers that this is not a buildable cream.

After reading reviews, I would recommend anyone purchasing this product to test out the colors before buying. I usually go for the palest shade so I selected Light which looks yellow on my face. I believe Fair is for pale skin with red undertones, like mine, but I haven't tried it yet.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2013 6:55:00 PM More reviews by kpennock

I got a sample of this from Sephora and fell in love. I have already purchased the full size. This is kind of a mousse-y type texture...real creamy but light and fluffy. It goes on great with a brush or beauty blender. I use it on its own (I just have a few scars/redness to cover so I don't need too much coverage). I would say this is light coverage...not really buildable just because it can get a little cakey if you try to build it up too much...2 applications is about the limit on my face to still look natural and nice...not that I ever use more than one.

I have not gotten any breakouts from it what so ever. I have heard people say it runs a bit dark but I use the fair shade and I am very pale...it matches me pretty well. It is a little on the pink side but seems to change color a little bit after application and match my cooler undertones.

I don't like the price but honestly most of the good bb creams are going to run you 30-45 dollars....you get what you pay for because I find the drugstore ones just do not perform well and break me out.

I have heard people like to use it as a primer under foundation...I don't know how that might change it because I don't find it necessary. Just moisturize, put this one, put a lil setting powder on my tzone to control my oil (my face gets oily fast) and I am good to go.

I do get a bit shiny after about 8 hours BUT it is WAY less than I would using most foundations or nothing at all....It has a demi matte finish ....so if you arent super oily... you probably will get good to go for the majority of the day.

Oh and even though I did get shiny a bit....just used a tissue and patted the oil a bit or dusted on a bit of powder....problem solved. The bb cream was still there...didnt slide off just my face likes to argue no matter what.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2013 1:06:00 PM More reviews by makeupdiva23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

HG! Fair blends into my skin and looks like I have prefect, natural skin that glows. This has a matte finish, yet has a slight glow to it. You would have to try it for this to make sense. I am around an N10/NW10 in MAC, possibly lighter. I am shocked that Fair is light enough for me. I would say the undertone on this is pretty neutral. It gives light to medium coverage and is buildable. I have ditched my Kat Von D Lock It in shade 42 for this(which is full coverage so that shows that the coverage on this BB cream is good). I add some concealer over it for spots/undereyes/red areas and my skin looks flawless. Before I got this product I was not comfortable leaving the house without a full coverage foundation and now I don't need it. The best thing is my skin can breathe! It is so lightweight on the skin. It manages to cover and diffuise imperfections and is not heavy at all. I am super sensitive/acne prone and have had no issues with this. I will hide under a rock forever if this gets discontinued.......

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by seven12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product is sort of odd, but I really like it. I hear its texture described a lot as "silky." To me it just felt slippery, like a sunscreen loaded with silicone. I have the shade Light, which is probably closest to NC25. Although the coverage is sheer, it really evened out my skintone and gave me a subtle glow. On the skin, this feels light as a feather, which I LOVE. It did not break me out, dehydrate my skin or cause any sensitivity. Since this is technically a primer, I used a heavy concealer with it (Hard Candy Glamoflage) and finished with a light dusting of Laura Geller Balance N' Brighten and Urban Decay All Nighter. This product wore evenly and kept a smooth finish.

Overall I'm not sure this BB cream is worth $34/ounce, but I will probably repurchase in the future. I can see this being great in the summertime, when I want some spf and decent coverage, but don't want a bunch of heavy layers on my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by nina1925

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a fan of Tarte products and was given a sample of this BB cream when I went to Sephora. I love the matte finish and the fact that this product does not break me out.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2013 4:48:00 PM More reviews by Kaisheart

I heard a lot of hype about this product, so I finally dished out the 34.00 and bought it. A little bit about me; I have a light to medium complexion, and my skin is oily and very, very sensitive. Almost any foundation/bb cream I've tried has caused breakouts and rashes. That being said, this did not make me break out. But it is also not really a bb cream. It reminds me of a really nice sunscreen; velvety, smooth and matte. Unless you have perfect skin already, I wouldn't recommend this as your one-stop-shop foundation. The coverage is very light. You only need a pea-sized drop to cover your whole face. An easy way to apply it is to dot it around your face, then blend it in with your finger tips. I found a brush made it a little streaky. As for the finish and staying power, it is definately a matte finish. It has kept my face matte for about 6hours before I needed to use an oil blotter, but did not work for 12 hours. Applying a little powder foundation over it increased its staying power. If you have dry skin, this may not work for you. As I mentioned above, I have oily skin but I still had to put my moisterizer underneath this. It calls attention to any dry patches on your face, but that usually goes away as the day goes on. The color selection is fair, light, medium, and tan. I found that "light" worked on my cheeks but was too pale for my forehead, yet medium was too dark. If you want to try before you buy, go to sephora or macys and test them out. If you find that one color is too light and the next shade up is too dark, get the shade that is a little too light and ask for a sample of the next shade up. You can mix the two, or add some bronzer over the lighter shade. For removal, it is not very hard to get off. My routine is moisterizer, tarte bb cream, then mineral foundation on top. I just used a little oil cleanser and it came right off. On a side note, this works great as an eyeshadow primer! It controls any oily lids and makes the color pigmentation pay off much more vibrant. All in all, I would recommend this to oily or sensitive skin gals. If you have dry or mature skin, a moisterizing bb cream or primer would suit you better. This is advertised falsely though; it would be better off if they dropped the bb cream and remarketed it as either an excellent suncreen or primer. The packaging is cute, in a little tube with a wooden cap. It is 1fl.oz and the ingredients are here:

"cyclopentasiloxane, isododecane, polysilicone 11, mica, polymethylsilsesquioxane, hexyl laurate, PEG-10 dimethicone, polyglyceryl-4, isosterate, steric acid, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1, dimethicone, alumina, triethoxycaprylylsilane, dipalmithoyl hydroxyproline, diamond powder, iron oxides" and the active ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 4.55% Zinc Oxide 3.50%

If you are allergic to silicone, it does have silicone bi-products. It is what gives it such a silky feel. However, it did not make me break out and provides the sun protection that I need. Good job Tarte!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2013 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Cathuggins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Let me begin by saying that I am new to the facial primer world. I never found a need for it until recently. After reading the reviews and following an ulta employees recommendation I decided to give this a try. I like it, I truly do. But I do notice my face has gotten slightly shinier since I started using the product. I like how soft and easy it is to apply and I feel as though by itself it seems to offer nice coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by bborsody

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like this a lot. The oil control aspect is one of the best I have found, the color match isn't perfect, but since I layer foundation over this that is an imperceptible complaint. My only issue is, despite this BB creams claim of having an SPF 30; the amount of product you need to cover your face adequately - say a pea sized dollop - is probably far less than what will give you the full benefit of full-spectrum SPF 30 protection. So I do not rely on this for good sunscreen capability, particularly in the warmer months. Frankly, I don't consider this to be even an adequate BB cream, but is is a very good tinted primer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2013 6:50:00 PM More reviews by taurusgurl5984

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

OMG the oil control with this stuff. It makes my skin look poreless and perfect. Let's be clear here though: this is NOT a BB CREAM, it is a primer. If you are truly oily, you may not need moisturizer. But most normal to combo or dry skin types are going to need a moisturizer. I got the shade light, I tried fair and it washed me out (I'm between an NC/NW 15ish). I normally wear the smooth operator in 00, which is actually oddly darker than 02, and a tad more yellow. This product is super fast to put on, and when I am having a good skin day, it is just enough coverage. My skin looks fresh, clean, oil free, and like it's MY skin. Lasts all day.

The only caveat - it MAY be breaking me out. I am taking a break from it, and will go back to it. It could have been my fault though. I got a little lazy and was cleansing with oil cleanser only and not going over with my purity afteward like I normally do. I will use my trusty smooth operator until my pores de-clog and then give it a go again, cleansing more thoroughly. So far, if it doesn't break me out, this could be a HG face product for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2013 6:15:00 PM More reviews by crickett85

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

FYI the lightest shade in Tarte BB tinted 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 is NOT "Light", it is "Fair". I'm sharing this because most people would presume that the palest tone would be light and, if you are truly light skinned as I am, (LORAC NP 1 actually matches) then you want "Fair" NOT Light.

So I got a good sized sample of this BB cream with a Sephora purchase and I LOVE it! I love it with the following qualifications: I love it for those days that I am going for a really, not full coverage (no, all of my freckles do not have to be covered) natural look that is still pretty flawless and has good SPF. If I want full coverage, I don't find this buildable, unlike true Asain BB creams, thus the 4 lippies instead of 5. If Tarte were buildable (instead of just getting messy when you try) I'd give it 5 stars.

But, for my everyday, going to the Dog Park, out for a walk, out to the store, do not need full coverage and actually prefer to look more natural but still need a good amount of SPF look, Tarte BB cream is PERFECT! It gives nice, even coverage in one application (over a primer is even better), it makes your skin look even and flawless but not "done up." It does NOT set into fine lines and wrinkles, even after several hours, when used over a moisturizer. That is important if you are over 50 and have dry skin. It gives a slightly dewy but not shiny look (no disco ball, thank you very much). And, if you want a more matt finish, you can add a fine dusting of powder over this.

My routine. I wash my face (of course) and apply a very fine amount of L'Oreal Age Perfect Golden Balm. Then I apply a little Avon Moisture Therapy Hand Cream (yes, all that is necessary for me, refer back to VERY dry skin, this product is practically pure glycerin just like Algenist Restorative Cream but it cost $90 instead of $3). Next I apply a dime size amount of Make Up Forever HD High Definition Primer on my face, neck and upper chest. I have found that this works the best. Tarte BB glides on like silk over MUFE HD.

I let the MUFE HD set for about a minute then I use a small a small amount (probably the size of a pea) of the Tarte BB dotted on my cheeks, chin, and forehead and the same to my neck and upper chest. It glides on smoothly, like silk, over MUFE HD Primer. I can use Tarte BB without the primer; however, the application is not as smooth and the results (probably because of the tugging on the skin) not as flawless.

I can then apply just a small amount of neutral cream blush. Wonderfully, I have found that with these BB creams over a moisturizer, I can even use some powdered blushes and have used Too Faced powdered blush without it looking all dried out.

Wearability is good, 6 hours or so under normal conditions. The wearability does not match that of the Korean BB creams, for the most part. And, at $34 a tube, at Sephora, this is more expensive than most Korean BB creams.

Would I buy this? Absolutely! Anytime that I could afford it.

Lippies = 4. One off because it is not buildable. I do not deduct lippies for price (kind of high at $34 a tube) so stays at 4. I like the hygienic tube, a definite plus. SPF is good at 30. Color range is good, Fair, Light, Medium and Tan. They could probably use one darker shade than Tan.

I do notice that they call this a primer, indicating that one can use a base foundation over this. I haven't tried this. And, in order to get really seamless application, I had to use a primer under this. Perhaps that is because of my dry skin(?)

Overall recommendation is love, love, love for flawless looking skin that still has an un-made up look.