August 23, 2014 | 1143 users online

BB Cream - Tarte - BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2013 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Cathuggins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Let me begin by saying that I am new to the facial primer world. I never found a need for it until recently. After reading the reviews and following an ulta employees recommendation I decided to give this a try. I like it, I truly do. But I do notice my face has gotten slightly shinier since I started using the product. I like how soft and easy it is to apply and I feel as though by itself it seems to offer nice coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by bborsody

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like this a lot. The oil control aspect is one of the best I have found, the color match isn't perfect, but since I layer foundation over this that is an imperceptible complaint. My only issue is, despite this BB creams claim of having an SPF 30; the amount of product you need to cover your face adequately - say a pea sized dollop - is probably far less than what will give you the full benefit of full-spectrum SPF 30 protection. So I do not rely on this for good sunscreen capability, particularly in the warmer months. Frankly, I don't consider this to be even an adequate BB cream, but is is a very good tinted primer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2013 6:50:00 PM More reviews by taurusgurl5984

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

OMG the oil control with this stuff. It makes my skin look poreless and perfect. Let's be clear here though: this is NOT a BB CREAM, it is a primer. If you are truly oily, you may not need moisturizer. But most normal to combo or dry skin types are going to need a moisturizer. I got the shade light, I tried fair and it washed me out (I'm between an NC/NW 15ish). I normally wear the smooth operator in 00, which is actually oddly darker than 02, and a tad more yellow. This product is super fast to put on, and when I am having a good skin day, it is just enough coverage. My skin looks fresh, clean, oil free, and like it's MY skin. Lasts all day.

The only caveat - it MAY be breaking me out. I am taking a break from it, and will go back to it. It could have been my fault though. I got a little lazy and was cleansing with oil cleanser only and not going over with my purity afteward like I normally do. I will use my trusty smooth operator until my pores de-clog and then give it a go again, cleansing more thoroughly. So far, if it doesn't break me out, this could be a HG face product for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2013 6:15:00 PM More reviews by crickett85

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

FYI the lightest shade in Tarte BB tinted 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 is NOT "Light", it is "Fair". I'm sharing this because most people would presume that the palest tone would be light and, if you are truly light skinned as I am, (LORAC NP 1 actually matches) then you want "Fair" NOT Light.

So I got a good sized sample of this BB cream with a Sephora purchase and I LOVE it! I love it with the following qualifications: I love it for those days that I am going for a really, not full coverage (no, all of my freckles do not have to be covered) natural look that is still pretty flawless and has good SPF. If I want full coverage, I don't find this buildable, unlike true Asain BB creams, thus the 4 lippies instead of 5. If Tarte were buildable (instead of just getting messy when you try) I'd give it 5 stars.

But, for my everyday, going to the Dog Park, out for a walk, out to the store, do not need full coverage and actually prefer to look more natural but still need a good amount of SPF look, Tarte BB cream is PERFECT! It gives nice, even coverage in one application (over a primer is even better), it makes your skin look even and flawless but not "done up." It does NOT set into fine lines and wrinkles, even after several hours, when used over a moisturizer. That is important if you are over 50 and have dry skin. It gives a slightly dewy but not shiny look (no disco ball, thank you very much). And, if you want a more matt finish, you can add a fine dusting of powder over this.

My routine. I wash my face (of course) and apply a very fine amount of L'Oreal Age Perfect Golden Balm. Then I apply a little Avon Moisture Therapy Hand Cream (yes, all that is necessary for me, refer back to VERY dry skin, this product is practically pure glycerin just like Algenist Restorative Cream but it cost $90 instead of $3). Next I apply a dime size amount of Make Up Forever HD High Definition Primer on my face, neck and upper chest. I have found that this works the best. Tarte BB glides on like silk over MUFE HD.

I let the MUFE HD set for about a minute then I use a small a small amount (probably the size of a pea) of the Tarte BB dotted on my cheeks, chin, and forehead and the same to my neck and upper chest. It glides on smoothly, like silk, over MUFE HD Primer. I can use Tarte BB without the primer; however, the application is not as smooth and the results (probably because of the tugging on the skin) not as flawless.

I can then apply just a small amount of neutral cream blush. Wonderfully, I have found that with these BB creams over a moisturizer, I can even use some powdered blushes and have used Too Faced powdered blush without it looking all dried out.

Wearability is good, 6 hours or so under normal conditions. The wearability does not match that of the Korean BB creams, for the most part. And, at $34 a tube, at Sephora, this is more expensive than most Korean BB creams.

Would I buy this? Absolutely! Anytime that I could afford it.

Lippies = 4. One off because it is not buildable. I do not deduct lippies for price (kind of high at $34 a tube) so stays at 4. I like the hygienic tube, a definite plus. SPF is good at 30. Color range is good, Fair, Light, Medium and Tan. They could probably use one darker shade than Tan.

I do notice that they call this a primer, indicating that one can use a base foundation over this. I haven't tried this. And, in order to get really seamless application, I had to use a primer under this. Perhaps that is because of my dry skin(?)

Overall recommendation is love, love, love for flawless looking skin that still has an un-made up look.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2013 2:38:00 AM More reviews by margaritababe

I really wanted to love this BB cream but I ended up exchanging it for something else. I have combo skin, oily in the t-zone and normal everywhere else, slightly acne prone. What I appreciate about tarte products is that they never make me break out. It also has decent light coverage, good for evening skin tone, and a little goes a long way. Not really buildable though - the more you use, the more that ends up on your fingers.

I used it for about a week but each day after 3-4 hours max my face would become extremely oily when the product claims to control oil for x amount of hours. It also transfers more than I expected. Anything transfers if you wipe it but even blotting transfers a lot more than it should. Maybe its just because my skin got oily? I don't know. It also wasn't helpful that they don't have a color that matches my skin tone. I am a NC 42 in mac, so the medium was too light and the tan way too dark which made my face look dirty once my face got oily.

Price wise, it isn't ridiculously expensive but I was not satisfied with the product for the price. The packaging is cute like other tarte products, no complaints there. Like I said, I exchanged the product for something else. It didn't work for me but I could see how someone with drier or normal skin would like this product. I am now trying the Too Faced bb cream in beach glow. Hoping this will work a little better for me.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2013 10:45:00 PM More reviews by orderlyfashion

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

This is a great all-in-one product for a minimalist such as myself. I have slight redness on and around my nose and chin, and prefer to use products with lighter coverage and only where needed, to even things out a bit but not necessarily create a flawless 'canvas'. I'm pleased to report that the medium shade covers well (better than you'd expect from a tinted moisturizer & not as much as a full-coverage foundation), blends nicely and isn't fake looking at all. It also doesn't sink into my enlarged pores. It has a slightly matte finish and stays put for the most part - especially on the drier parts of my face. On my nose and forehead, oil starts to peek through after 4-5 hours, so still need to blot around mid-day -- but I seem to be less oily with this, compared to going bare-faced or using powder alone.

I use this over my daily sunscreen/lotion (Paula's Choice Skin Balancing SPF 15) and haven't experienced any weird interactions between the two products. In fact I think this BB cream applies and looks better with a bit of moisturizer/sunscreen underneath. And normally I shy away from physical blockers (which have caused breakouts in the past), but no problems here, and I appreciate the extra bit of SPF this provides!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2013 3:38:00 PM More reviews by jenniferads

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really thought I would like this, and I really did try, but it did not stay on my face at all, and it seem to make my face more oily......BUT I will try it again in a few months after I have my baby and I will do another review, as of now it didnt work for my pregnancy hormone skin

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2013 2:27:00 PM More reviews by Decobalgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Luuuuuurve!!! This is going to be utter blasphemy and sacrilege to the Asian BB cream purists, but this new Tarte BB is my favorite of all BB creams so far, and has dethroned my Missha BB cream. Goes on smooth, evens out skin tone, makes you look flawless without being detectable on the skin, leaves a lovely finish. Some have noted that it's too drying, but I didn't have a problem with that. The first time I tried it (at home, not for going out!), I put a super moisturizing cream on half of my face, and nothing on the other side. The only difference was that the moisturized side had more of a glow, and the other side looked more matte. I have combination and historically oily skin, that is now tending more dry. I liked both applications.

I really love how this feels and looks on my skin. I wear it alone, without any additional foundation on top, although I might swipe some powder over it depending on my mood. If you don't want fuller coverage, this works great on its own.

FYI, a 4 shade sample card arrived with my order of the full size in medium. When I looked at the sample colors, I kicked myself for having bought the medium (I'm normally medium skin toned) instead of the light, since the sample of the light, seen through its little plastic container window, looked like the perfect match for my skin. Don't go based on that alone, as it can be deceiving. I tried both the light and the medium on my face, and the medium was by far the better match.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 9:14:00 PM More reviews by akpd

For reference, I have combination/oily skin. My forehead, nose, cheeks tend to get oily though out the day, and I have dry areas around my nose, mouth. My skin is very acne-prone, and I have many acne scars (mostly on my forehead).
I don't like to wear foundation. I used to just wear moisturizer, primer on my t-zone, concealer, and powder... but I was looking for something that would last longer, even out my skin tone, minimize my pores, as well as provide a bit more coverage.. AND TARTE'S BB CREAM IS AMAZING. It feels so silky-velvety as I apply it with my fingers (the velvety finish lasts all day). I dust some powder on after I apply it, and it lasts for at least 12 hours without having to touch up or use any oil blotting sheets. My forehead is a shade darker than the rest of my face, but this evens out my whole face. I used to use a ton of concealer to cover my acne scars, but I don't even feel the need to do that when I wear this BB cream (I just put a second layer of BB cream on wherever it's needed, because it has buildable coverage!). The first time I wore it, I noticed that it accentuated the dryness around my mouth, nose, and a few spots on my face... so I just put a little extra moisturizer on those areas before applying this and the problem is fixed! It makes my skin look so good- but in a natural way! I'm in love!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by tressab

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This makes me look like I have beautiful skin. I do need a moisturizer with it, but it gives my skin such a smooth appearance and doesn't settle in my wrinkles, that I don't mind the extra step. Plus, it doesn't break me out!