October 1, 2014 | 1457 users online

BB Cream - Tarte - BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 sunscreen

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by seven12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product is sort of odd, but I really like it. I hear its texture described a lot as "silky." To me it just felt slippery, like a sunscreen loaded with silicone. I have the shade Light, which is probably closest to NC25. Although the coverage is sheer, it really evened out my skintone and gave me a subtle glow. On the skin, this feels light as a feather, which I LOVE. It did not break me out, dehydrate my skin or cause any sensitivity. Since this is technically a primer, I used a heavy concealer with it (Hard Candy Glamoflage) and finished with a light dusting of Laura Geller Balance N' Brighten and Urban Decay All Nighter. This product wore evenly and kept a smooth finish.

Overall I'm not sure this BB cream is worth $34/ounce, but I will probably repurchase in the future. I can see this being great in the summertime, when I want some spf and decent coverage, but don't want a bunch of heavy layers on my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by nina1925

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a fan of Tarte products and was given a sample of this BB cream when I went to Sephora. I love the matte finish and the fact that this product does not break me out.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2013 4:48:00 PM More reviews by Kaisheart

I heard a lot of hype about this product, so I finally dished out the 34.00 and bought it. A little bit about me; I have a light to medium complexion, and my skin is oily and very, very sensitive. Almost any foundation/bb cream I've tried has caused breakouts and rashes. That being said, this did not make me break out. But it is also not really a bb cream. It reminds me of a really nice sunscreen; velvety, smooth and matte. Unless you have perfect skin already, I wouldn't recommend this as your one-stop-shop foundation. The coverage is very light. You only need a pea-sized drop to cover your whole face. An easy way to apply it is to dot it around your face, then blend it in with your finger tips. I found a brush made it a little streaky. As for the finish and staying power, it is definately a matte finish. It has kept my face matte for about 6hours before I needed to use an oil blotter, but did not work for 12 hours. Applying a little powder foundation over it increased its staying power. If you have dry skin, this may not work for you. As I mentioned above, I have oily skin but I still had to put my moisterizer underneath this. It calls attention to any dry patches on your face, but that usually goes away as the day goes on. The color selection is fair, light, medium, and tan. I found that "light" worked on my cheeks but was too pale for my forehead, yet medium was too dark. If you want to try before you buy, go to sephora or macys and test them out. If you find that one color is too light and the next shade up is too dark, get the shade that is a little too light and ask for a sample of the next shade up. You can mix the two, or add some bronzer over the lighter shade. For removal, it is not very hard to get off. My routine is moisterizer, tarte bb cream, then mineral foundation on top. I just used a little oil cleanser and it came right off. On a side note, this works great as an eyeshadow primer! It controls any oily lids and makes the color pigmentation pay off much more vibrant. All in all, I would recommend this to oily or sensitive skin gals. If you have dry or mature skin, a moisterizing bb cream or primer would suit you better. This is advertised falsely though; it would be better off if they dropped the bb cream and remarketed it as either an excellent suncreen or primer. The packaging is cute, in a little tube with a wooden cap. It is 1fl.oz and the ingredients are here:

"cyclopentasiloxane, isododecane, polysilicone 11, mica, polymethylsilsesquioxane, hexyl laurate, PEG-10 dimethicone, polyglyceryl-4, isosterate, steric acid, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1, dimethicone, alumina, triethoxycaprylylsilane, dipalmithoyl hydroxyproline, diamond powder, iron oxides" and the active ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 4.55% Zinc Oxide 3.50%

If you are allergic to silicone, it does have silicone bi-products. It is what gives it such a silky feel. However, it did not make me break out and provides the sun protection that I need. Good job Tarte!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2013 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Cathuggins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Let me begin by saying that I am new to the facial primer world. I never found a need for it until recently. After reading the reviews and following an ulta employees recommendation I decided to give this a try. I like it, I truly do. But I do notice my face has gotten slightly shinier since I started using the product. I like how soft and easy it is to apply and I feel as though by itself it seems to offer nice coverage.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by bborsody

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like this a lot. The oil control aspect is one of the best I have found, the color match isn't perfect, but since I layer foundation over this that is an imperceptible complaint. My only issue is, despite this BB creams claim of having an SPF 30; the amount of product you need to cover your face adequately - say a pea sized dollop - is probably far less than what will give you the full benefit of full-spectrum SPF 30 protection. So I do not rely on this for good sunscreen capability, particularly in the warmer months. Frankly, I don't consider this to be even an adequate BB cream, but is is a very good tinted primer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2013 6:50:00 PM More reviews by taurusgurl5984

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

OMG the oil control with this stuff. It makes my skin look poreless and perfect. Let's be clear here though: this is NOT a BB CREAM, it is a primer. If you are truly oily, you may not need moisturizer. But most normal to combo or dry skin types are going to need a moisturizer. I got the shade light, I tried fair and it washed me out (I'm between an NC/NW 15ish). I normally wear the smooth operator in 00, which is actually oddly darker than 02, and a tad more yellow. This product is super fast to put on, and when I am having a good skin day, it is just enough coverage. My skin looks fresh, clean, oil free, and like it's MY skin. Lasts all day.

The only caveat - it MAY be breaking me out. I am taking a break from it, and will go back to it. It could have been my fault though. I got a little lazy and was cleansing with oil cleanser only and not going over with my purity afteward like I normally do. I will use my trusty smooth operator until my pores de-clog and then give it a go again, cleansing more thoroughly. So far, if it doesn't break me out, this could be a HG face product for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2013 6:15:00 PM More reviews by crickett85

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

FYI the lightest shade in Tarte BB tinted 12-hour primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 is NOT "Light", it is "Fair". I'm sharing this because most people would presume that the palest tone would be light and, if you are truly light skinned as I am, (LORAC NP 1 actually matches) then you want "Fair" NOT Light.

So I got a good sized sample of this BB cream with a Sephora purchase and I LOVE it! I love it with the following qualifications: I love it for those days that I am going for a really, not full coverage (no, all of my freckles do not have to be covered) natural look that is still pretty flawless and has good SPF. If I want full coverage, I don't find this buildable, unlike true Asain BB creams, thus the 4 lippies instead of 5. If Tarte were buildable (instead of just getting messy when you try) I'd give it 5 stars.

But, for my everyday, going to the Dog Park, out for a walk, out to the store, do not need full coverage and actually prefer to look more natural but still need a good amount of SPF look, Tarte BB cream is PERFECT! It gives nice, even coverage in one application (over a primer is even better), it makes your skin look even and flawless but not "done up." It does NOT set into fine lines and wrinkles, even after several hours, when used over a moisturizer. That is important if you are over 50 and have dry skin. It gives a slightly dewy but not shiny look (no disco ball, thank you very much). And, if you want a more matt finish, you can add a fine dusting of powder over this.

My routine. I wash my face (of course) and apply a very fine amount of L'Oreal Age Perfect Golden Balm. Then I apply a little Avon Moisture Therapy Hand Cream (yes, all that is necessary for me, refer back to VERY dry skin, this product is practically pure glycerin just like Algenist Restorative Cream but it cost $90 instead of $3). Next I apply a dime size amount of Make Up Forever HD High Definition Primer on my face, neck and upper chest. I have found that this works the best. Tarte BB glides on like silk over MUFE HD.

I let the MUFE HD set for about a minute then I use a small a small amount (probably the size of a pea) of the Tarte BB dotted on my cheeks, chin, and forehead and the same to my neck and upper chest. It glides on smoothly, like silk, over MUFE HD Primer. I can use Tarte BB without the primer; however, the application is not as smooth and the results (probably because of the tugging on the skin) not as flawless.

I can then apply just a small amount of neutral cream blush. Wonderfully, I have found that with these BB creams over a moisturizer, I can even use some powdered blushes and have used Too Faced powdered blush without it looking all dried out.

Wearability is good, 6 hours or so under normal conditions. The wearability does not match that of the Korean BB creams, for the most part. And, at $34 a tube, at Sephora, this is more expensive than most Korean BB creams.

Would I buy this? Absolutely! Anytime that I could afford it.

Lippies = 4. One off because it is not buildable. I do not deduct lippies for price (kind of high at $34 a tube) so stays at 4. I like the hygienic tube, a definite plus. SPF is good at 30. Color range is good, Fair, Light, Medium and Tan. They could probably use one darker shade than Tan.

I do notice that they call this a primer, indicating that one can use a base foundation over this. I haven't tried this. And, in order to get really seamless application, I had to use a primer under this. Perhaps that is because of my dry skin(?)

Overall recommendation is love, love, love for flawless looking skin that still has an un-made up look.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2013 2:38:00 AM More reviews by margaritababe

I really wanted to love this BB cream but I ended up exchanging it for something else. I have combo skin, oily in the t-zone and normal everywhere else, slightly acne prone. What I appreciate about tarte products is that they never make me break out. It also has decent light coverage, good for evening skin tone, and a little goes a long way. Not really buildable though - the more you use, the more that ends up on your fingers.

I used it for about a week but each day after 3-4 hours max my face would become extremely oily when the product claims to control oil for x amount of hours. It also transfers more than I expected. Anything transfers if you wipe it but even blotting transfers a lot more than it should. Maybe its just because my skin got oily? I don't know. It also wasn't helpful that they don't have a color that matches my skin tone. I am a NC 42 in mac, so the medium was too light and the tan way too dark which made my face look dirty once my face got oily.

Price wise, it isn't ridiculously expensive but I was not satisfied with the product for the price. The packaging is cute like other tarte products, no complaints there. Like I said, I exchanged the product for something else. It didn't work for me but I could see how someone with drier or normal skin would like this product. I am now trying the Too Faced bb cream in beach glow. Hoping this will work a little better for me.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2013 10:45:00 PM More reviews by orderlyfashion

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

This is a great all-in-one product for a minimalist such as myself. I have slight redness on and around my nose and chin, and prefer to use products with lighter coverage and only where needed, to even things out a bit but not necessarily create a flawless 'canvas'. I'm pleased to report that the medium shade covers well (better than you'd expect from a tinted moisturizer & not as much as a full-coverage foundation), blends nicely and isn't fake looking at all. It also doesn't sink into my enlarged pores. It has a slightly matte finish and stays put for the most part - especially on the drier parts of my face. On my nose and forehead, oil starts to peek through after 4-5 hours, so still need to blot around mid-day -- but I seem to be less oily with this, compared to going bare-faced or using powder alone.

I use this over my daily sunscreen/lotion (Paula's Choice Skin Balancing SPF 15) and haven't experienced any weird interactions between the two products. In fact I think this BB cream applies and looks better with a bit of moisturizer/sunscreen underneath. And normally I shy away from physical blockers (which have caused breakouts in the past), but no problems here, and I appreciate the extra bit of SPF this provides!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2013 3:38:00 PM More reviews by jenniferads

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really thought I would like this, and I really did try, but it did not stay on my face at all, and it seem to make my face more oily......BUT I will try it again in a few months after I have my baby and I will do another review, as of now it didnt work for my pregnancy hormone skin