December 18, 2014 | 1290 users online

Lipstick - Maybelline - Color Whisper

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2013 5:01:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Maybelline's brand new Color Whisper lipsticks will give you "Sexy, soft, see through color" with "just a kiss of shine". Many people are calling Color Whisper Maybelline's answer to the incredibly popular Revlon Color Burst Lip Butters. Maybelline describes the formula as "pure color pigments suspended in a weightless gel. No heavy waxes or oil." There are currently twenty shades to choose from; I have one shade, Berry Ready. I normally wouldn't have chosen this shade, I was leaning towards Cherry On Top or Orange Attitude, but they were all compromised. I bought my Maybelline Color Whisper lipstick at Walmart (does that explain all the compromised lipsticks?) for $5.94. Each Color Whisper lipstick contains 3g (.11oz) of product. This lipstick was made in America. Maybelline does test their products on animals. By the way, believe it or not this is my first Maybelline lipstick!
I kinda love the packaging for Maybelline's Color Whispers. The square, transparent cap matches the color of the product, which is always really visually appealing. The name of the product is written on the cap in silver, cursive lettering. Very cute. The tube it's self is silver, with a square base and rounded body. The twisting mechanism is very smooth. The cap can be a little stubborn to remove, but I'd rather have a cap that sticks a bit than one that falls off. The shade name and number can be found on a sticker on the bottom of the tube. I think the packaging is cute and sleek, very eye catching.
The texture of Maybelline's Color Whisper Lipstick is amazing! These are so smooth and soft. The texture is barely comparable to Revlon's Lip Butters, Color Whisper is a much softer, lighter, silkier formula. This lipstick glides on so nicely, where as I found that the Revlon Lip Butters had a bit of a waxy pull to them. Application can be a little bit tricky though, the creamy texture can slip around on the lips, smearing out of the lip lines. A lip liner might be a good idea. Color Whisper has a lovely, moisturizing feel on the lips. These lipsticks also give a subtle shiny, but not glossy, finish. Because of the slick, moist nature of the Color Whisper formula, these lipsticks don't have the best wear time. I experience a lot of transference, especially onto straws and cups. I get about 45 minutes of initial, glossy wear, and then about two hours of a residual, stain-like color. I'm sure wear time differs from shade to shade, Berry Read is one of the darkest shades, the lighter ones may not stain like this one. Oh, and the scent and flavor? Virtually non-existent.
Berry Ready is, as you probably already guessed, a berry shade. This shade is somewhere right between a blue-red and a purple, and has a cool undertone. Despite being on the darker end of the spectrum, I find it quite complimentary against my very fair skin. I think Berry Ready could suit just about anyone with cool or neutral undertones, I think it'd look particularly lovely on someone with very dark skin. I've heard a lot of people describe the Color Whisper line as having sheer color payoff, Maybelline even calls it "see through", but that certainly isn't true for Berry Ready, which goes on nearly opaque in one swipe and entirely opaque in two. The intensity of Berry Ready can be built up, it applies a pinky berry color, but can change into a nearly purple hue with just two additional layers. By the way, Berry Ready pairs wonderfully with Bare Minerals Marvelous Moxie Lip Gloss in Dare Devil.
I'm a fan of Maybelline's Color Whisper Lipstick in Berry Ready! The only thing I would improve is the slippy texture, apart from that I love it! I've been wearing it very frequently and will continue to til the warmer months. I love this lipstick's packaging, and I love the light, buttery, moisturizing texture even more. In my opinion, Maybelline's Color Whisper lipsticks are far superior to Revlon's Lip Butters. I would definitely suggest these over the Lip Butters. I'll definitely try at least one more shade from this range (I have a coupon ^_^), and will repurchase Berry Ready if I work my way through it (which at this rate I will!)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2013 1:29:00 AM More reviews by pinkykathy

GREAT JOB Maybelline! this is the best matte lipstick i have tried so far from Maybelline. It's matte, but not dry out my lips. The color called "Lust for Blush" is really nice+pretty+natural pink tone. It suits my skin tone really well. Im NC20, asian :))

First time in my life thinking about purchasing this drugstore lipstick again. ^_^

PS this "Lust for blush" is a great dupe for MAC "Angel"

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2013 10:08:00 PM More reviews by Smashin31385

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't like anything on my lips... Not even lip balm, but this is doable. I bought the color Lust for Blush and it is a milky pink on my lips. It doesn't last very long but it is a good product for what it claims to be. I'll try other colors. The Revlon lip butters are so heavy and goopy to me, I like this much better.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2013 9:56:00 PM More reviews by PinkIcing1

I love how the color looks and feels very natural - it feels like lip balm! It doesn't last very long though, and makes little dried skin pieces show up on my lips.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2013 7:18:00 PM More reviews by lashaw1594

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got the shade Who wore it red-er.
my first impressions were, it had a nice shade , though alot lighter than the expected color, consistency is very nice, i like how its not waxy and is like Lip balm, it looks nice after being on the lips after a couple of minutes, looks natural, although it doesnt stay on for long, and kind of dries my lips out.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2013 6:59:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this in Some Like It Taupe. I don't care what they company says, this is NOT a lipstick. It's little more than a balm. It's very sheer. I have it in my bag and use it as a lipbalm. As that, it's too pricy and nothing very different from Nivea, for example, so I won't buy it again. Maybe darker colors justify the purchase more.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2013 4:46:00 PM More reviews by dolcefan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Meh. I got this in Plum Prospect, which actually turned more of a blue based dark pink on my lips. I also didn't care for the formula....it didn't feel moisturizing nor did it last very long (not even leaving much of a stain behind). This color also applied quite streaky, which I found strange given what the product is supposed to be. I much prefer the Revlon Lip Butters or even the L'Oreal Caresse line. This just seemed really cheap to me. I also dislike the packaging as it also looks cheap, IMO. I won't be buying again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2013 4:35:00 PM More reviews by AntiqueGlitter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Maybelline Color Whispers are available in 20 shades: Go Nude, Bare to be Bold, Some Like it Taupe, Mocha Muse, Lust for Blush, Pin Up Peach, Coral Ambition, Orange Attitude, Wow Red-Reder, Cherry on Top, One Size Fits Pearl, Petal Rebel, Pink Possibilities, Faint for Fuchsia, Rose of Attraction, Made it Mauve, Berry Ready, Oh La Lilac, Mad for Magenta, and A Plum Prospect.
I purchased Lust for Blush, Pin Up Peach, Coral Ambition, and Bare to be Bold. Please refer to my reviews for these individual shades for a description of each shade. For my next trip to the drugstore I'm definitely picking up Orange Attitude and Pink Possibilities next, because these are fantastic!
Color Whispers aren't tinted lip balms; they're sheer lipsticks. Maybelline doesn't claim these to be pigmented, nor do they claim these to be moisturizing, so for those of you complaining about that, you can't really blame Maybelline for that.
Prior to testing these out, I expected them to be glossy, sheer lipsticks that wouldn't last more than a few hours and would be somewhat drying.
Well, I was right. The pigmentation is subtle but noticeable. On my medium-pigmented lips, I would say the pigmentation is about light-to-medium, although its smooth formula allows it to be buildable. I wouldn't bother with these if you have pigmented lips. It does give a little bit of a slip, and it only lasted about 4-ish hours, but reapplication isn't a big deal to me anyway. The finish is shiny, but not mirror-shine glossy. It's not very moisturizing, but it's not drying either. I find wearing a lip balm underneath helps.
One of my favorite aspects of Color Whispers is the shade selection. More often than not, I'm often intrigued by a product's concept, but then I'm disappointed with the shade selection, so I move onto another product. This is what happened with Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters. I like the Lip Butters, but the shades are no-go, plus the name is misleading--they're more like opaque, creamy, heavy lipsticks than what you imagine when you hear "lip butter". Color Whispers, on the other hand, have shades that appeal more to me, and the formula is smooth, but lightweight and semi-sheer.
In other words, these are PERFECT for me.
I'm not too keen on the packaging--it looks kind of cheap, and I prefer Revlon Lip Butters' packaging more--but it's sturdy, and therefore tolerable.
They retail for about $6-$7 each.
Would I repurchase? Yes.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2013 9:42:00 PM More reviews by MrsTefee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

These are ok. They really arent anything to get excited about. They are similar to revlon lip butters but with less pigmentation. And people they are SUPPOSED to be sheer why do you think its called "color whisper" come on......anyways..I love the color they give (more than a balm but less than a lipstick) but the problems I have with these are
1. VERY strong fragrance...if you are sensitive to scented products you wont like these, they are heavily scented (scented perfume - they have no taste)
2. The packaging is...eh. I would like them a lot more if they were packaged like a lip balm because they can be applied like a balm (without a mirror).

I probably wont buy them again but they were fun to try.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2013 12:19:00 PM More reviews by alexanna7

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got this in bare to be bold ,wich is a pale sheer nude, and got also,some like it taupe wich is a sheer pale beige.Enought pigmented to be seen,but sheer enought to look natural!Creamy and smooth texture,hold on long enought,but must reapply in the day! Nice choice of colors! Love it!