Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Core Collection

4.5

on 2/26/2013 10:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I won't repurchase because I don't like all the brushes in the core set and wish they'd sold them individually.

Dries fast after cleaning. Does not shed. Oh so soft to the skin.

Pixiwoo really knows how to make brushes, that's for sure.

Sadly, I've only wanted 1 or 2 brushes from the core set so I bought the set anyway. The brushes are great but I don't like them all. A reviewer below gave a detailed review so I will spare the details here.

Love the case that it came with. Or I might learn to use and love the other brushes? Not sure.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have been so pleased with my purchases of the Expert Face Brush and Starter set for Eyes, that I decided to add the Core Collection. I love these synthetic brushes that are so soft and not scratchy! Such a pleasure to use.

I love the buffing brush. I use it to apply my liquid foundation. It's not as dense as the Expert Face Brush, but it provides a very smooth, seamless application. I think both brushes work equally well for liquid foundation, with the Expert Face Brush edging out as my personal favorite. Both give a very polished look. My skin never looked better!

I use the contour brush for bronzer, blush and highlighter. I think it's great for shading and contouring along the cheekbone with bronzer. I also love it for applying blush and highlighter. I love the domed shape. You get just the right amount of color, so you don't apply too much.

I use the foundation brush for concealer under the eyes. I thought it would be too big, but it worked quite well for applying concealer and getting a smooth, even finish.

The detailer brush can also be used for concealer under the eyes. I find that the foundation brush is more effective for that purpose, but this tiny brush can also do a decent job. It's excellent for spot concealing on the face. It's also great as a lip brush. When you think that there isn't a use for a particular brush, you realize that these brushes are so flexible that they can be used for a number of different purposes. I think that is one of the most appealing things about these Real Techniques brushes.

I have been very pleased with all of the brushes that I have purchased. The Real Techniques brushes have set the bar high for synthetic brushes. I was so pleased with this latest purchase that I decided to buy the blush brush. I can't wait until I get it and then have a chance to use it and write another review.

These brushes are simply great value for the money. Again the case is the weak point. It's very flimsy and not well made. I did find it good for travel purposes.

on 2/15/2013 6:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the buffing brush! Absolutely the best for applying liquid foundation because it doesn't leave any streaks or lines. All the brushes are super soft and flexible and the bristles never fall out. I would recommend these brushes to anyone especially those of you who use a liquid foundation. Only reason I didn't give this collection a perfect score was because I haven't really found any use for the detailer brush, but that's just me.. other than that a really great set!!

on 2/11/2013 11:48:00 AM

Many beauty gurus were raving about these brushes, so when I came across this set at my local drugstore I thought I'd give it a try. All the brushes are very soft. I use the buffing brush for bronzer and the contouring brush to apply foundation. I haven't used the other brushes or the case it came with. The price point is very affordable and I would repurchase as the quality is quite good.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Fantastic set,cruelty free, nice coloring. No shedding, wonderful will repurchase.

on 2/10/2013 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I really love this brush set. I dont purchase high end brushes because I just prefer having large collection of brushes rather than a few expensive ones. Plus, there are really great cheap brushes that perform seemingly as good as expensive ones.

I got this set on BOGO 50% off on drugstore.com. These brushes are a great investment and the quality far surpasses the price tag.

They have a really good weight to them, sturdy and super soft bristles. Ecotools are known to have the softest brushes in the drugstore...but they just got beaten by Real Techniques.

The expert and contour brushes are dense but super soft and flexible. The foundation brush and detailer brush are also small and fits and flexes to the contours of your face.

I also like the carrier and how it can doubles as a brush stand. This is totally worth the money. I was so suprised how great this set was but I shouldn't have been, knowing that the wonderful and talented Samantha Chapman 1/2 of the Pixiwoo duo, wouldnt attach her name to any product that was anything short of spectacular!

on 1/29/2013 10:56:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I initially purchased these brushes because I really like my expert face brush so much, I wanted to try more of the Real Techniques line. However, it took some warming up for me to find uses for these brushes that made them HG (I don't like to keep brushes that aren't HG).
Buffing brush: I like to use this for a sheerer application of foundations, liquids, powders, etc. I love the expert face brush, but this is much less dense but still blends out beautifully.
Contour brush: like other reviewers have said, this is not the MAC 109. I get a much lighter application when I use this for blushes, bronzer, contour, or highlight than when I use the MAC 109. With my MAC 109, I have to dot the pigment on, then use another brush to blend because the 109 is so concentrated. However, this one is great for both application and blending out. I like to use this with my more pigmented brushes.
I found the pointed foundation brush to be the most difficult to fall in love, but when I did, it's great! I like using it for concealer, especially when I am not necessarily spot concealing but applying concealer for a red patch on my cheek, it's the perfect size and gives great coverage without soaking up a ton of product or just spreading it around. The synthetic bristles really make the most of the concealer product by giving great coverage while not eating up the product. I also like to use it for under eye concealer and cream eye shadows, especially as a wash over the lid, or for blending out eye shadow primers.
The detail brush is an even smaller version of the pointed foundation brush, and I found it has given my cream shadows HG status! I can actually blend and multi layer my cream shadows and place it in the crease with this tiny brush without having to rely on my bulky fingers, and it blends it out perfectly. I also like it for applying lip color, you can really sheer out or build up a lipstick's opaqueness.

on 1/29/2013 1:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This was one of the things I was most looking forwards to in my first buy from this brand, but I was quite disappointed.

First of all, the size of the brushes are just too small--the foundation brush is absolutely tiny and takes forever to blend the face, and the detailer brush is smaller than most of my eyeliner/eyeshadow brushes and is much thinner as well. The buffing brush is quite good for foundation, though it's not quite as dense as I would like, but the smaller size allows me to reach my nose and other crevices very easily. The countour brush isn't bad either, though I prefer an angled brush for blush/bronzer.

The handles also look cheaper than the standalone brushes. The aluminium parts on mine have this slight water-stained look right out the box, so they don't look as new or as polished as they could be. The brush holder is also pretty useless.

Overall, not worth it! I'd say to go for the Expert Face brush and blush brush over this collection, since two brushes from this one are almost useless, and the other two, while good, aren't amazing.

on 1/27/2013 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I'm going to review each brush in detail. Overall this is a great set of brushes, the Real Techniques brushes are designed to be multi-purpose so you can use them any which way you want. All of the brushes have luxuriously soft bristles, the feeling of them against your skin is lovely! The Core Collection cost me £21.99, which dived by 4 is £5.50 a brush Ė such a tremendous bargain!

Contour Brush

This brush is the baby sister of the Blush brush. It has the same domed head, the same tapered end with super-soft dense bristles.
I use this for precise placement of my Dior Amber Diamond highlighter, and also for application of my Soleil Tan De Chanel Ė Iíd rather stick my Sigma F84 for cream products though. The bristles pick up plenty of product, but itís not my favourite brush for contouring with Ė I prefer my Bdellium tools contour brush.

Pointed Foundation Brush

This brush is the least used out of the set, I think it would take me longer time to apply and blend my foundation with this brush. I do use it for cream contouring though, and it does the job!

Detailer Brush

Iíve wanted a lip brush for ages, I believe that when you were brighter colours or red lipstick, your pout should be precisely defined. The detailer brush is brilliant for applying bright lipstick to your lips, you can get an even coating and get right into the corners and cupidís bow of your lips thanks to the rounded tip. It keeps itís shape after washing too.

Buffing Brush

The Buffing brush is great. Itís a medium-sized brush, with round bristles around the edge and a flat top. The Buffing brush can also be used for powder and blush/bronzer application, but I have brushes that already work well for those applications. I would most definitely purchase this brush as a back-up, annoyingly it is only available for purchase in the set Ė really hope this changes soon.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

This kit proves that you don't need fancy expensive brushes to do the job. I can't see why anyone would want to spend money on Hakuhodo, Chanel, Trish McEvoy or MAC unless you personally feel good inside from buying highend brushes. I do have experience with various brands and find this core collection by Real Techniques to be good in quality and every brush in this kit is very useful. The bristles are soft and dense in each brush. I experienced real good color payoff from using these brushes. I've washed this kit three times and have not experienced any shedding. The kit comes with a Detailer brush which I personally like using to apply under eye corrector because it tapers at the tip and allows me to get right up close inside my tear ducts. Also there is a Foundation brush that at first thought would be too small because I'm used to larger brushes but this one does a better job. I am able to get right in the corners of my nose and around my hairline much easier with this size brush. Next, is a Blush brush that is domed and again, smaller than what I'm used to but this brush packs a punch! I find it picks up color wonderfully and I notice that I need less product when using this particular blush brush. If you are going to you use brush for cream blushes, I would recommend sheering the blush out with your fingers after. Lastly, is a Face/powder brush which is pretty universal for many tasks. I use this for highlighers, bronzers, face powders. Overall, a real good kit for everyone. The only con is the case which I found to be super cheap and poor quality. I tossed it in the trash.

Top Rated Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Products