December 21, 2014 | 1287 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Core Collection

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2012 9:32:00 PM More reviews by frckls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got this in a swap and brand new from a lovely lady here in MUA. (*wave* you know who you are! :D)

I really love this set. The bristles are oh-so-soft. It picks up product amazingly and does not absorb too much products as other brushes tend to do. They also dry super-fast after washing. They don't bleed or shed, either. Wow.

Buffing brush: it really buffs my Lucy Minerals foundation perfectly into my skin, there is no trace left of patchy or obvious looking foundation on my skin. Although the head is smaller, I don't find it takes longer to apply foundation, and the size is perfect for blush application, too, and contouring in a pinch.

Contour brush: love this!! it fits perfectly to my cheek hollows, just right for the side of nose. it blends the contouring products beautifully, too. plus, it can also be used to highlight and apply blushes. score!

Pointed Foundation brush: i don't really use liquid foundation/base, plus i thought at first the size is too small. however, i find this perfect to apply and blend concealers and fits perfectly under the eyes. even when i use Lucy Minerals dry as concealer. and trust me, Lucy is a tricky one to please. ;) you usually need to buff it into the skin real good, but with this brush, there was not even a sign of streak or patchiness. serious magic.

Detailer brush: i haven't found so many use out of this, since i use the foundation brush for concealers as i need to conceal quite some large areas rather than spots. i rarely apply lip products with brush, too. but i've tried applying colors to lower lashline using this brush and it's pretty great.

Panoramic case: this is sheer genius and perfect for traveling. i can fit all my brushes (except for the obese EcoTools Bronzer Brush and TBS Mineral Powder Brush) into this. well, i really don't have that many brush since i only keep what i use. i think with the 4 brushes from the original set, i added MAC 187SE and 4-5 eye brushes. For traveling, i removed the other brushes and put in my brow pencil, eyeliners, eyebrushes, illuminator and foundation (i put them in small pump tubes) and cream stick blush. only need a tiny pouch for powders and my Unii. it fits EVERYTHING. cannot be happier.

Definitely repurchase if they start to fall apart. But I really hope they never will!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2012 6:35:00 PM More reviews by Nimzzz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using these brushes for almost a year now and I can't speak more highly of them! They are great value for money but also superb quality. I prefer using the pointed foundation brush for my concealer rather than foundation as sometimes it can appear 'streaky' but other than that, no complaints. The detailer brush is perfect for correcting the areas around your eyes and around your nose. The contour brush works extremely well in applying foundation too, so it's great that you can mix and match to whatever suits your requirements. Definitely a worthwhile investment!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2012 9:23:00 PM More reviews by greymattergirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have every brush in this collection, but the Core Collection was my first set. I can't say enough about them! Excellent price, great quality, and they work like a dream. They are easy to clean and feel quite sturdy yet light weight. I just LOVE these brushes, all of them! The buffing brush is probably my favorite out of them all, it just makes application so quick and easy. Without a doubt I will always have these brushes in my collection. I still marvel every time I use them at the quality for price. It's like Sam Chapman gave us all a gift..affordable awesomeness. I'm not made of money and when I do have some extra I like to spend it on my makeup and skin care, it doesnt leave a lot left over for brushes, but ofc as we all know, we need good brushes for the best application..these brushes really do meet all points on my checklist, and for the price I almost feel guilty, like I've stole them, lol. Really the only issues I could see anyone having with these is they are synthetic. Persoanlly I prefer synthetic, easier to clean, dont shed as much and dont soak up as much product, but to each his (or her) own. ;) I havn't had even one of these brushes shed on me..not once. They are super soft, and really perfect in every way. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these brushes, I'm furious with myself for waiting so long to buy them. If you dont mind them being synthetic, I say, run out and get them all as fast as you can, you won't regret it! 100% pure awesomeness all the way!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2012 8:40:00 PM More reviews by heather

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

As someone else has already noted, the price of this set is well worth it for the buffing brush alone. If you have been wishing for the Tarte Airbrush Finish Bamboo Foundation Brush (which is fantastic) or if you just want a brush that is a little more portable or less chunky than Tarte's, your search can be over. The very dense, plush, and soft hairs make buffing a breeze. Cleans up more easily than the Tarte brush, too. I use the contour brush for a light dusting of highlighter and I have used the pointed foundation brush for both concealer and eye primer, though not for foundation. The detailer is super-handy for small areas such as highlighting the inner corner of the eye or smudging out eyeliner. For $18, the overall quality and utility of these brushes is really amazing. I don't find the case/stand useful at all. I keep my brushes in cup-containers on my counter and when travelling, I'd rather have them all in one case. I do wish it were easier to find a case that allowed for the thick handles of these brushes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2012 6:52:00 AM More reviews by bubblegumpoo

This brush set is perfection. I had been eyeing this set for quite a while. The buffing brush and 109 dupe were too intriguing to pass up. Bought the set from iherb.com, and compared to my local drugstore that carries this for about 40 bucks (I live in Korea), so I got quite a good deal. I highly recommend the site for those living aboad!
A little break down of the brushes:
Buffing brush: Great for foundation. I have the Expert Face Brush from Samantha Chapman too and worried that it would basically be the same thing all over again, but it really isn't. This gives a less full-coverage and thus more natural finish. Also, the great thing about this brush is that it literally takes you 5 seconds to apply foundation. A great fuss free brush.
Contour brush: I had been excited about this one because a lot of people compared it to the Mac 109. Got to say though, it's really not anything like the 109 for me. It's more narrow and dome-shaped, so I don't think I'd actually use it for contouring. If you had a very small face, it might work. I don't. However, I love this for highlighting. It is amazing for highlighting!
Eyeliner brush: When I first got this set, I knew I wouldn't have a lot use out of this brush. Some people mentioned using it as a lip brush but I apply my lippy straight out of the tube. Ironically though, this has become my most used brush out of this collection. I use it to fill in my brows! It's great as it doesn't pick up too much product, and you can also be a little more precise when filling in your brows.
Foundation brush: I'm going to be honest and say I never use this. It's too small to use as a foundation brush, yet too big to use as a concealer brush. If you wear liquid highlighter, this might come in handy, but I honestly have no use for this brush.
All the brushes, like any other Samantha Chapman brush, have amazingly soft bristles. I have not experienced any shedding whatsoever with any of my brushes, even after 3 months of use. Even if you already have an extensive brush collection, or are a newbie to makeup, I definitely think this set is worth looking into!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2012 10:36:00 PM More reviews by NaijaNYC

This ENTIRE set is worth the purchase if not just for, the Buffing Brush. This brush is AMAZING at applying liquid foundation. The intention of this brush was originally for powder, mineral powder and things of that nature. However, this is perfect for liquid foundation. It works the product into your skin like a dream. A Dream, I tell you!
Like they say, it will leave you pixel perfect.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2012 12:58:00 PM More reviews by riebr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I looove these brushes! They work very well and the coverage is amazing.. The only thing is that i'm from Denmark, and therefore I had to pay dobble the price than some others would. I can only recommend these!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2012 3:20:00 PM More reviews by Belle145

I'd heard about the Real Techniques brushes for a while as it seemed like every blogger on YouTube was raving about them but I was a bit reluctant to buy them as I was unsure of the quality. Still it seemed like everyone was praising the buffing brush and let's face it the pixiwoo sisters always seemed to have immaculate skin when they used it! Unfortunately the buffing brush only comes in the core collection which is a bit annoying but if you consider that most high end brushes cost around the 20 mark and you get four for that price it's definitely great value for money.

I use the buffing brush to really buff in my liquid foundation and I cannot describe the finish, it really does just look like second skin. It leaves you with a moderate coverage and prevents any cakey look.

The contour brush is also nice, it's small enough to really get into the hollows of my cheeks which I like although I prefer using this brush as a blush brush and the blush brush for contouring! I use the foundation and detailer brush for concealer and they both work well although the star of this collection has to be the buffing brush, I would definitely recommend this set just for that brush.

These brushes are also incredibly soft. They're synthetic which is great because it means you can use them with cream products as well as being cruelty free! Additionally they dry really quickly, I can wash them and leave them to dry overnight - brilliant!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2012 1:35:00 AM More reviews by Yamada70

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The brushes are super super soft taklon fibres. Dries very fast & I had no shedding of the fibres on my first wash. I don't like the stand/case that comes with it though, it's great as a stand, but too stiff as a carrier. The handles are light, and I presume it's made from aluminium.

My favourite is the contour brush, perfect size, fibre density & shape. It is so easy to blend with & it picks up just the right amount of product.
The buffing brush works well with everything, I love it with my mineral powder foundation, it's has the perfect amount of fibres to give stiffness to it without tugging the skin when you are using the brush to buff.
Foundation brush is very small compared to all my other paddle brushes, I've tried it with concealers, which works well, but I like it best has contouring brush for my nose.
I don't have much use for the lip brush though.
The price is very reasonable. I purchased this on Amazon for $17.99 since is marked up to $44 in Australia.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2012 9:32:00 PM More reviews by lozzie88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

A great pack for face make up, although the foundation brush is a bit too small for foundation (I use the RT stippling brush instead), so I use this for concealer instead, and it works a treat. The pack comes in a travel case which doubles as a stand, so it's very handy if you don't have a storage system for brushes, etc.