Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Stippling Brush

4.4

on 1/8/2013 4:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Love this stippling brush! It leaves my foundation with a total airbrushed finish. Easy to clean, a bit of a learning curve but easy to figure out with a couple tutorials. I also use this for my cream blush occasionally.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman is a line of makeup brushes designed by one half of YouTube's beloved Pixiwoo Sisters. I'm a long time subscriber to their channel and had been wanting to try Sam's brushes since they launched, but I always put off buying them for one reason or another. This stippling brush is the rush I wanted the most because I've never owned one before. I finally bought my Real Techniques Stippling Brush at Ulta for just $5.75, almost half off. If you weren't aware, Real Techniques is a sub brand of EcoTools, another favorite brush line. All Real Techniques brushes have hand cut, cruelty free taklon bristles and light, extended aluminum handles. Samantha Chapman says that her "dual fiber brush is the trade secret for creating airbrushed, high definition results with all types of makeup." This brush is also claimed to give you a "pixel perfect look even in harsh light." Real Techniques brushes are cruelty free and made in China. These brushes can be a little hard to track down, so let me steer you in the right direction. These brushes can be bought on the brand's website, at Ulta and Fred Myers in America, Target and Priceline in Australia, Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada, and Boots in the UK.
Real Techniques brushes are packaged pretty nicely. Each brush comes in a plastic case with the name of the brush on the front. On the back of the case you can find information on the brush, the brand, and Samantha Chapman herself. Real Techniques brushes are separated and color coordinated into three categories. The Stippling Brush falls into the "finishing" category, so it has a pink aluminum handle. The bottom of the handle features a black, rubbery piece with a flat bottom so that it can be easily stored standing upright. The brush handle, which is very lightweight and comfortable in the hand, features the name of the brush on one side, and the Real Techniques logo on the other. Some Real Techniques brushes have no noticeable ferrules to them, which gives them an interesting look. Despite the lack of a defined ferrule, the brush seems to have a firm grasp on the bristles.
Like most stippling brushes (or skunk brushes, as some call them), Real Techniques Stippling Brush has duo-fiber, black and white bristles. The black bristles are significantly shorter and more densely packed than their white counterparts. The white bristles are evenly distributed throughout the black ones and are ever so slightly longer in the center of the brush head. When you run the brush through your fingers, it feels quite soft, but when used on the face I find the bristles kinda jagged and uncomfortable, especially when used in the eye area. I don't really love the Real Techniques Stippling Brush the way I thought I would. Maybe I haven't perfected my stippling technique yet, but I've tried multiple methods and multiple foundations, and I'm yet to pleased by the results. Whether I stipple, swirl, swipe, or use any combination of method, my foundation always looks kinda off, streaky, and splotchy. I always feel like I need to go back in and blend with my fingers or my Avon blending sponge. I'm really not sure if it's me or the brush, but I think it may be the brush? Why? Well I've watched almost all of Pixiwoo's videos and I noticed that Sam rarely uses this brush and when she does, she doesn't use it to stipple, she kinda wipes her foundation on with it, so maybe it really isn't all that great of a brush.
Despite it's application flaws, Real Techniques stippling brush is good quality and well put together. I have never lost a bristle from this brush. It washes well, almost all the product comes out, but for the most part the white bristles don't return to their original white state. This brush dries fairly fast for being so dense.
Real Techniques Stippling Brush is pretty good quality, but I don't feel like it's the brush for me. Maybe I need more practice, but I just don't like the effect this brush has on my foundation's overall appearance. Honestly though, I've never really liked any brush for liquid foundation, I'm a sponge kind of girl. I'm pretty disappointed and glad that I didn't pay the full $10 for this brush. I think I'm going to try an ELF Stippling Brush next, to see if I'm not a fan of this brush, or stippling brushes in general. Though I don't love Real Techniques Stippling Brush, I don't regret buying it either, because it satisfied my intense curiosity about stippling brushes. Whether or not you should pick this brush up depends on if you're looking to expand your brush collection and if you're pleased with your current foundation application method.

on 12/20/2012 8:05:00 AM

I have no doubt on how well it works the foundation onto my skin and gives an airbrush look. However the hair itself is quite hard and stiff, and sometimes it scratches my face. Haven't got this problem with the buffing brush though.

on 12/11/2012 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Kudos to the Chapman sisters for making an amazing brush that is reasonably priced to boot! I use this brush with so many products: Liquid foundation, cream foundation, cream blush... It blends like a dream. I have generally oily skin with some pesky dry spots, so this brush is ideal: I can swirl the product onto my more oily areas and stipple onto the dry patches (so I don't disturb the skin and make it look even worse). Seriously impressed with this brush.

on 12/11/2012 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Another keeper from the RT line. Comparable to the MAC duo fibre but at a fraction of the price. Great for applying primer, moisturizer, foundation, cream blushes, cream bronzers, as well as highlighting or contouring. Probably could use with powders as the bristles are versatile, but I haven't tried it yet. Didn't have a problem with excessive shedding. Purchased off iHerb.com as these are not yet available in Canada. Will be purchasing more from this line.

on 12/5/2012 10:39:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I got this brush today and I used it immediately.
This brush is smaller more like the MAC 188 however it's brilliant
for applying liquid foundation and the results are the same if not better
than with the MAC stippling brush.
The brush is firmly bundled making it really dense ensuring optimal application.
An added bonus is that this brush uses synthetic hair so it's suitable for vegetarians and vegans.

It's a great brush...especially for that price!!!

I highly recommend this product!

on 12/1/2012 2:29:00 PM

This brush was really really awful which surprised me because of all the positive reviews I've seen. Maybe my brush was just defective but it sheds like CRAZY! Every single time I use it I have to pick tons of little bristles off my face and it's incredibly annoying. I don't even bother to use it any more, I couldn't even if I wanted to...half of the bristles are gone, all of them stuck to my face after each application. The brush isn't really that amazing when it comes to application either, seems to work better with lighter foundations but still can leave streaks...heavier ones need extra blending for sure which I do with my hands. The only good thing about this brush was that it was cheap so I don't feel so bad getting rid of it, still wouldn't trust buying real techniques brushes ever again. It's also annoying that there are no Canadian retailers, Amazon being the only retailer that will ship to Canada.

This brush is great for the application of liquid foundations and cream blushes, and totally affordable! I dot my foundation on with a regular foundation brush and then stipple away with this for an airbrushed looking finish. Now that I know about Real Techniques, I may never purchase expensive MAC or Sephora brushes again. I've had this particular brush for several months and have had absolutely no fallout with regular use and washing. It is still as soft and lovely as the day I bought it.

on 11/12/2012 9:43:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This brush is of an extraordinary quality for the price! I already have two of those to alter them.
It has become my only foundation/tinten moisturizer/BB cream brush and it is not comparable to the MAC ones, which are not dense and soft enough.
I just stipple the foundation on like 5 spots on my face - cheecks, chin, forehead, nose and then i do some circular movemenst with the brush and within seconds the product becomes completely in synergy with the skin leaving a beautiful natural finish.
I couldnt ask for more.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have only had good experiences with this line of brushes including this brush and I'm so glad that they came out when I was starting with makeup basics. All hail Sam Chapman! At only 10 in the UK this brush is comparable to the MAC 187 which comes in at three time the price for the same if not better performance. A friend of mine (real MAC aficionado) dropped his 187 to use the RT stippling brush every day for foundation and highlighter. The brush is dense enough to pick up product and distribute it evenly without just slapping on thick layers of foundation. Other than foundation it can be used with cream blush and other cream products but my favourite use for it is GA Fluid Sheer to highlight then a sheer foundation stippled and buffed in with this brush.

My only possible small annoyance about this brush is how much product it holds onto. If you don't wash it frequently it has a tendency to eat some foundation, as little as it may be, which is an effort to wash out from the densely-packed lower bristles. It does dry quickly though which is always a plus.

Top Rated Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman Products