November 25, 2014 | 1853 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Olay - Professional Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2012 2:33:00 PM More reviews by Bellona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I went for a facial at a local spa, and the technician was trying to sell me the Clarisonic Mia 2 (I have sensitive skin) for almost $200. I balked at the price, and then recalled the Olay Pro X receiving good reviews on MUA. I bought it on sale at Shoppers for $25! And I'm so glad I did. I've never used the Clarisonic so I can't compare the two. I've been struggling with small clogged pores (whiteheads and blackheads) along my jaw line and lower cheeks for some time. I've been wary of exfoliating too much with scrubs as I have sensitive skin across my nose & cheek area. The spa tech told me I needed to exfoliate better and that would clear up my skin. So I started using the Pro X on the lowest speed setting about every 3 days, and have worked my way up to 5 times a week, once a day only. It works wonderfully to really deep clean your skin and slough off to get rid of blemishes. My skin has cleared up and looks smooth and glows! I'm very happy with it.
Pros are - it works gently but effectively, and cleans skin thoroughly. It does what it says. You can use it in the shower, and it's compact enough to not take up any room.
Cons are - the battery cover is so hard to come off, it was a pain. If I use it too much on my sensitive areas it does make them a bit red and irritated afterward, so I try to use it where I need it most and really don't go past the 60 seconds of use overall.
Also, I wish it came with a cap for the brush so it would allow for easy traveling. I go away alot for work and would have appreciated that feature.
Overall, I would highly recommend to anyone as a cheap yet effective tool. I would caution that sensitive skin should start slowly and see how you tolerate it. Using is only a few times a week or avoiding the areas of sensitivity would prevent any irritation.
EDIT - 10/06/13 - I'm dropping this down to 2 lippies. It irritates my sensitive skin and has caused broken capillaries. Also, it doesn't really get rid of the small bumps on my face, and hasn't reduced pore size at all.
I think I'll just splurge and buy myself the Clarisonic Mia for my birthday this year :)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2012 1:28:00 AM More reviews by mskdawson

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been a MakeupAlley member for years, but I think this might be the first time I've felt strongly enough to comment about a product. I'm 29 and have basically had problems with acne on and off since I was a teenager.... I've always had at least a few pimples (and sometimes more than a few), and generally blotchy skin. I've had some luck with Benzaclin (a prescription med with benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin)--- it's the only medication that has actually made a significant difference with my skin. But the Olay Pro-x is making me realize that most of my skin problems all these years have probably been due to simply not cleaning the foundation off my skin properly before bed! It's kind of a revelation. No wonder I was breaking out! I was leaving makeup on my skin every night.

I've been using the Pro-x brush for about 3 weeks, and my skin has improved drastically. My routine is to rub cleanser (Kiehl's) into my face for a minute, and then add more cleanser before using the brush for a few minutes. When I'm done I put some benzaclin on (I'm needing less and less, my pimples are almost all gone) and moisturizer. In the morning I just wash my face and moisturize as usual.

In the first week or so, I got some new pimples on my chin--- I think I must have been purging, but they went away quickly, and right from the start the tiny clogs started to disappear and I noticed that my skin looked smoother. I still have some small bumps, but at this rate it really does seem like my skin will clear up completely if I continue using the Pro-x. I'll definitely buy a replacement brush when this one gets worn out. I highly recommend this for anyone with clog-prone skin.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2012 10:43:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

Like many others I purchased this as a cheaper alternative to Clarisonic. Best $30 I ever spent on a skincare product! It delivers beautiful results- smoother, brighter, clearer and younger-looking skin. The only problem I have run into was a result of over-use. I love using it so much, I feel like I don't want to wash my face any other way. Too much of a good thing. I over-exfoliated and had a dry, tight-feeling complexion for a couple of days. I know now that I only need to use this every 2 or 3 days. I'm sure it's different for everyone, depending your skin's needs.
I took one lippie off because there are a couple of things about the product's design that I'm not too crazy about. One, it requires AA batteries (and Olay does give you 2 batteries to start with). I would very much prefer if this came with a rechargeable battery and a charging stand. Or any type of stand, that's problem number two- I don't know how or where to store the thing.
The rotating brush works at two speeds, high and low. But whichever speed you use, the brush is very soft and gentle- not abrasive at all. And it can be used in the shower, very practical.
The best part is that this product has made such a difference in my skin's appearance in a very short amount of time. The stubborn blackheads on my nose have been eliminated. My dark spots and acne marks faded much more quickly. My skin tone is now brighter and more even. And by clearing away the excess layers of dead skin cells and debris, my moisturizers and other products are better able to "sink in". It makes all my other products work even better! I absolutely love this product and I would definitely buy this again.
I do find that the brush-head needs to be replaced about once a month for optimum results. The instructions say every three months, but the brush seems to deliver better results the newer it is. The refills aren't that expensive, about $5 each or so. I realized that the longer I used it, the less glowy and amazing my skin looked. I replaced the brush-head and Presto! Worked just as well as the 1st time.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2012 10:51:00 AM More reviews by bek7bek

I ordered this on sale on Amazon for about $20. It was a total impulse buy. I have been using twice a day for only a week now, and I am already in love! I don't really care for the cleanser that came with it. Its a little too gritty for me. I have been using my normal Cetaphil cleanser instead. I started using RetinA again recently. I am shocked that not only do I not have any little flakies, but my skin isn't irritated either. I hope the ProX last a while...and at any rate, even if it does break, I like it so much think I will rebuy it.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/24/2012 11:33:00 AM More reviews by LucyLastName

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Let me start by saying that I would never, ever buy the Clarisonic brush. In fact, I thought spending about $30 on Olay Pro X was a bit much. Really what this brush does is gently scrub your face. You can do that with a soft washcloth and it'll be dirt cheap. But I was curious and I couldn't keep up the routine with the washcloths because they need to be dried than washed and changed every day. Anyways onto the review.
Pros: I like that it's soft and gentle. It removes makeup well. Sometimes I'd use a moisturizer to dislodge my makeup first and then cleanse with a cleanser and just my hands. It's small and light. When I used it on regular basis (once every other day) my skin seemed to have more of a glow to it.
Cons: The glow was temporary. The brush is quite soft, but constant fast rubbing of my face put it on a "stand by mode". That meant that as soon as something changed in my routine, like I forgot to put on a moisturizer or I had to apply benzoyl peroxide to some breakouts, my skin would protest. It would get flaky and dry and irritated. I think it was just too much for my skin. This might be in part because I already use quite a few products and the combination of those active ingredients and the constant brush rubbing my face just didn't work.

Currently I keep it and use it on occasion when I have to remove Revlon Colorstay makeup. If I had normal skin and used no other products and just needed something to manually remove dead skin cells, this might have worked well. I would not purchase it again, just because I could very well remove my long lasting makeup with a wet washcloth and my cleanser.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/21/2012 8:49:00 PM More reviews by vix5586

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this little tool. I couldn't bring myself to spend the money on the Clairsonic so this seemed like a good compromise for now. After seeing the good reviews here, I picked it up at Walmart for $29.99. I do not use this with Olay's cleanser- I use Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Cleanser and this brush on low every night. I use a make up removing wipe before cleansing, however the brush takes off anything left behind, which is a surprising amount. Once a week, I use it on high. I've noticed an improvement in my skin's smoothness and softness. I haven't had a breakout in about a month since I started to using this. Plus, it just feels so nice at the end of the day...like a massage for your face. I no longer have any desire for the Clairsonic. Great purchase. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2012 10:27:00 PM More reviews by babygirl24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Written 10/15/2012
OK the main and only reason I bought this product was for the cleansing brush, and I don't regret it not one bit! This brush is absolutely amazing! Couldn't have asked for a better deal! I use it with my daily cleaner (Garnier) and I swear, my skin glows every single time I use this brush! It has two speeds: low and high. I use the low for when I cleanse early in the morning before putting on makeup. The high speed is for nighttime to make sure I get all my makeup off as well as on the weekend when I use a scrub after using makeup all week long.

IT'S WORTH THE MONEY! BEST INVESTMENT EVER!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2012 10:32:00 PM More reviews by bluedestiny4

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have DDD/ NW50 Combination/Acne-Prone skin. I was starting to research the Clairsonic and the Olay System to see what would be beneficial to add to my facial skincare routine. The Clairsonic was immediately out of my budget, but I did appreciate the reviews I read on it.

Then I came across this system. It was easy to access. I could buy it at Walmart, CVS, or any neighborhood store. I could also buy the replacement heads from there as well. The system ran from about $24-$30, depending on where you bought it from. It runs on batteries. The brush is soft, and it has 2 speeds.

I use it with both my regular face cleanser, as well as a face scrub. I'm not a fan of the Pro-X Cleanser sample that comes with the brush. I love the way it lathers up the soap and it cleans my face thoroughly! Any makeup I had on my skin is GONE when I am finished! When I use my toner, I see no leftover. When I continue to use this system regularly, my skin does clear up. I still do break out around that TOM, but the breakouts don't last as long, and they aren't as severe. THANK GOODNESS!

After using this system for over 6 months, I would highly recommend this system for everyone. Definite repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2012 1:06:00 AM More reviews by lulu94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have never used the clarisonic/clarisonic mia. I never will because spending $200+ on something to clean my face that you have to constantly re-charge would be just unfathomable for me. But I have this unrealistic dream to attain truly perfect skin (stupid I know lol). Well, this hasn't gotten me there yet, but I love my little spinning brush! It removes makeup better and the overall texture of my skin has improved. I never really get that many zits but I haven't had any since using this, so that's great too. I would definitely recommend this product for those of you intrigued by the clarisonic hype, but that are on a budget like I am.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2012 8:29:00 PM More reviews by funnygirlup

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

To say this has saved my skin would be an understatement. I have been using it for about 2 weeks and have noticed significant improvement in blackheads and whiteheads as well as enlarged pores. Dare I say, I could almost go without a full face of foundation! It is decently priced (especially compared to similar products). I use it for the recommended 1 minute and find that it has done an excellent job in cleaning and retexturizing my skin.