November 22, 2014 | 1709 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup [Reformulated Early 2013]

This product has been discontinued

rated 3 of 5 on 8/5/2013 12:08:00 AM More reviews by czarlenette

im a MAC NC30 and i purchased this in 330 Natural Tan. With post-acne scars constellating my face, i was looking for a foundation with good coverage. This foundation did a great job covering my scars, and when applied with a damp beauty blender, this had the most flawless finish. However, as the day went on, i couldnt help to notice how much darker my face has gotten. This foundation oxidized so much!

I also had an issue with the bottle. I'd prefer it if it had a pump, but since it doesnt, i have to pour it onto the back of my hand. The foundation flows pretty fast, so youd always end up with some extra.

Also, if youre sensitive to fragrance, this foundation has a little bit of a chemical scent to it. It's not overpowering, but itll go away within a short period of time.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2013 5:00:00 PM More reviews by makeupaddict777

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ok, I have tried soooo many foundation products throughout my life, only to be disappointed by every single one...until now! I decided to give Colorstay a try after doing a search for foundations and sorting by most popular. I had my doubts: that it would be too oily, break me out, not offer good enough pigmentation, not last long enough, etc. It proved me wrong on all accounts. Here are my pros and cons:

PROS:
    Tons of shades
    Long wearing (at least 8.5 - 10 hours for me if powder is used to set)
    Really smoothes out blemishes and scars
    DOESNT BREAK ME OUT!! {this is huge because nearly everything does!}

CONS:
    Still need to blot at least once per day (not a big deal)
    Doesn't set as well or last as long if no powder is used
    Packaging: if only it had a pump, it would be perfect!

I just want to add that I took a risk and wore this makeup with some sunscreen while camping and sunbathing--normally a recipe for acne disasters--but while using this makeup my skin has gotten progressively clearer.

Oh, and I'm a c4 in MAC and natural tan seems to match really well, though I might need a bit of bronzer or a slightly darker powder during the height of summer tanning, but otherwise it is a perfect match.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/2/2013 3:14:00 AM More reviews by Demureinaka

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am very pale with a yellow undertone and the ivory did not blend well with me and there are no other light shades. It dries very fast which makes it hard to blend anyway. Every time I put this foundation on I had a break outs the next day. I would wash my face before bed but that never did any good I would still spend days fighting zits. Might dry fast but would get cakey over the day. If you have oily skin I would say this is not a good foundation.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/2/2013 3:09:00 AM More reviews by beahmanela

Dont buy this if you have oily/sensitive skin. It's comedogenic and broke me out. The product is a bit thick in consistency and harsh for my skin..

Inconvenient packaging. Doesnt come with a pump.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/2/2013 12:27:00 AM More reviews by thirdsword

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I once reviewed the old version of the combination/oily skin formula, giving it a 4/5, but after sticking with the new one, I had to bump it down.

I've been using Revlon Colorstay for combination/oily skin in 240 Medium Beige since high school. It wasn't yellow, but it still had a warm undertone that kept my face from looking like too much of a mask. In one layer I would get nearly full coverage, and a poreless, matte finish that kept me within the realms of matte and slightly dewy until the early afternoon. A lot of this went away with the new formulation.

When I first bought the new formula, I didn't know that the product had been reformulated, and it took me about a year to really find out. The product from my new bottle was quite runny, but I chalked it up to the contents of my old bottle drying up with continued use and age. Then I found that I had to use three layers to get the (almost) full coverage that I needed for my uneven complexion, and that the foundation wouldn't dry matte. I love the matte look so this aggravated me! It took me a ton of powder to banish the shine from my face and to keep the oil at bay. Furthermore, the new Medium Beige errs on the pink side, so even before all the powder I noticed an all too evident boundary on my jawline.

Since then, I've learned some things about what skincare products worked for my skin, I started using a high-end, heavy coverage concealer, and my acne scars have slightly faded. I then decided to try a lighter hand with my Colorstay. So why do I still care about having a heavy foundation? I'm usually in a rush when getting ready to go to class, and something that covers is a huge time saver (= more sleep, yay!). In any case, after three or four hours in the summer sun I looked at my face in the mirror... Holy moly, I was on the verge of greasy already! The only parts that weren't so greasy were the sides of my face (I normally get oily all over), where I had applied my high end concealer to cover up my most prominent scars. I did this on a cooler day indoors as well and not only was I greasy at the end of the day, my foundation had oxidized to an Oompa Loompa orange! Maybe I should try Sand Beige, which from what I've read will match my undertone better, but will probably look way too light for me upon application (even the new Medium Beige looks a little pale). Then there's Golden Beige, but it's not available in Canada! Once I move back to the city for school I'll likely purchase a product from the higher end, where I'm far more likely to find something that will fit my needs. RIP old Revlon Colorstay, you will be missed.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2013 9:04:00 PM More reviews by theblondlife17

I really do love this foundation. It covers well and lasts practically lasts all day. I feel like for less than ten dollars you can't go wrong, am I right? I do like to use a primer and Elfs "Set and spray" with it - But even alone it lasts a very long time. And for someone with oily skin, that's great. Love!

Pros:
    -Covers Well
    -Stays On For A Long Time
    -Variety Of Shades
    -Great Price

Cons:
    -A Bit Thick In Consistency

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2013 8:28:00 PM More reviews by fake0v0babi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Lets start with what kind of skin I have. First of all, i'm EXTREMELY prone to breakouts, clogged pores, and I don't think I've had a day that I was blemish free since I was 9. My face is some-what combination/oily, but its more of dehydrated, and oily at the same time. Hyper-pigmentation from acne scarring therefore the need of medium/full coverage foundations.

I have to say this was one of the best drug store products I have ever used. Lets start with the Pros

Pros:
    - Does not transfer, whenever I do get a bit oily I can just blot with a piece of tissue or some starbucks napkins when I can, and there would not be any foundation on the tissue, my make up does not budge at all

- It stays on for HOURS. I wore this to my prom , from 12pm to 6am, I only needed minor touch ups with my MAC concealer and a bit of pressed powder, but everything still looked in place when I got home at 6am.

- Doesn't cause/worsen any breakouts. I know most people say that it makes them break out, I had this problem during the first month of using this foundation as well. I did some research and turns out that the foundation itself doesnt cause any clogging, but since the staying power of it is so great, it needs a really good make up remover. I only used a simple neutrogena gel face wash to remove my make up (bb creams, concealer), but with the Colourstay Foundation, I have to use an oil based make up remover. I suggest Ponds cold cream (affordable) or Shu Uemura's cleansing oils (high-end), or try OCM and mix your own blend of oils.

- Cheap!! I live in Canada so they're usually around $19, but if you wait for sales at London Drugs, they might sell it for around $13/$14, or I stock up when I visit the states.

Now on to the Cons:

- Oxidizes like crazy and makes me look orange. This is the only reason I stopped using this everyday. When I apply it on, the colour matched me perfectly (I'm an NC20/NC25, and have yellow undertones, and I use the shade Sand Beige and sometimes mix in a little Buff), but after a couple hours I realized my face is looking darker and more like an oompa loompa. Now I've upgraded to using Estee Lauder's Double Wear, they have a better selection but I would still say that Colourstay has a better staying power.

- The bottle is really annoying when you get to the bottom. It gets a little thick and its hard to pour the last bit of foundation out because it just sticks to the side.

- Won't give you a no-makeup-make up look. For me, its good because it means it has high coverage, but it definitely makes you look like you are wearing foundation.

This is my first review and I hope it was helpful! :)
    If you want a flawless coverage look, try applying it with the Sigma flat top kabuki brush.

TL;DR Great product, good coverage, long staying power, does not cause breakouts but hard to remove. Turns orange throughout the day hence 4 lippies

rated 1 of 5 on 7/30/2013 9:08:00 PM More reviews by lancherie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Okay so I gave in and bought this product quite a while ago so I've given it a lot of time to try out. Firstly I have dry/sensitive skin with very yellow undertones. I got this in Golden Beige which seems to suit everyone whose NC25 from what I've read online but this is FAR too pink for me. So pink that I can't wear it at all! :(
    The texture is very fluid, I didn't realise it was so runny that I accidentally poured a lot out (just something to be aware of for anyone else thinking of trying it) Would've been avoided if there was a pump (there now is! but I have the old one)
    It dries extremely fast, another thing I really disliked and personally I feel like I'm wearing so much on my face when I wear this
    It does set nicely but overall I just really disliked this foundation and found it very very disappointing

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2013 8:08:00 PM More reviews by dottixo

I finally gave in to the hype and bought this foundation after months of pondering. To be honest, I was kind of disappointed. I got it on sale, so the price was pretty good for the amount of product that you get. The actual foundation is really watery and runny. It felt nice on my face but it made my face look too...makeup-y? I know that sounds stupid , but it didn't look natural at all. I blended and blended, which made it look a little better, but I was still unsatisfied. I did keep it on for the rest of the day, and the staying power is decent. I expected to stay on longer but it started to wear off after about 6 hours, which is typical for every foundation I use. Overall, it's an ok foundation. Nothing spectacular.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2013 7:10:00 PM More reviews by Gracie15

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a good foundation .
    If your used to light weight foundation this is going to feel heavy on your face . If you have an oily face this is perfect for you !
    Its a pain to get the foundation out of the bottle .
    I like the coverage because its matte . I do recommend this