Lucy Minerals Foundation

4.2

zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, iron oxides, allantoin, Apple Poly polyphenols, resveratrol, green coffee bean extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate

on 5/24/2011 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This review is for Lucy in the original formula, not the Light. I was really excited to try this after reading all the great reviews. EDM intensive in winged butter is my HG foundation, but no harm in trying out other stuff to see if its better. Lucy has better coverage than EDM even in the intensive formula. A little bit went a long way and I had to be careful to not get too much on the brush to prevent caking. It went on dryer than EDM. I have oily/dry skin and found Lucy to be less forgiving. My face looks dryer than with EDM and it was more prone to caking as well. Color wise, I am about NC 30 and EDM winged butter actually matches me best out of everything I've ever tried. I ordered all the shades in my range in samples from Lucy and none was close enough for my liking, nothing was yellow enough. I kept using it for about 2 weeks anyway, using 2 different shades. I put the lighter one on the center plane of the face and a darker one on the outsides/contour areas. Together, it gave the illusion of a
matching color plus some contouring benefits.

What really broke the deal for me and made me stop using it was that I noticed that my face itched a lot when I took it off at night and put on my skincare. Nothing else has changed in my skincare or makeup routine except this. I got worse and worse until I just stopped using it. I am not taking points off for it reacting with my skin since it might just be different for my skin. Overall, I think its pretty average for a mineral foundation. The coverage is good but it does go on dry and unforgiving.

on 5/19/2011 8:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Combination skin, oily T-zone, sensitive, splotchy, prone to break-outs, and fair

I started some years back with Bare Escentuals and could never find a good match for my skin. I tried to mix some foundations to get a better match, but eventually gave up on it, when I realized that it slowly, but surely was causing whiteheads with me. Plus, it is pricey.

Everyday Minerals was my next foundation. I stayed with it for years, because it was affordable and I found the perfect color match. However, I was alway getting pretty shiny by noon and it settled in my fine lines. Then they had changed their formula and the reviews weren't very positive. The prices had gone up quite a bit also, so I moved on.

Next stop - Meow Cosmetics. I found them better than BE or EDM. Lots and lots of colors to choose from, but the Pampered Puss (medium coverage) is sheerer than I liked and the Flawless Feline (heavier coverage formula) settled in my pores. Their biggest drawback is that the samples are expensive and skimpy and it took about two weeks to receive my order each time. Getting started cost me a pretty penny, but once you know which shade, they are reasonably priced.

I had never heard of Lucy minerals and came across it accidentally here at MUA. Since the samples are very generous and for the amount received - inexpensive, I decided to give it a try - and I am glad I did.

I had ordered three of the lightest shades - Fair, Light, and Cream - ready to mix, if necessary. The order arrived quickly, and surprisingly, I found a perfect match with the "Light" original formula. If you do not find a good match, but can find it by mixing different ones, they will custom mix colors for you at no extra charge. Just send them the proportions with your order. I find that amazing!

Another reviewer had stated that the colors weren't fair enough for her skin. However, Lucy Minerals offers "Snow White" to lighten any foundation color. I had ordered a sample, but did not need it - and I am very fair skinned.

The coverage is very strong and I made the same mistake as some other reviewers and applied too much the first time. This foundation needs a very light hand when applying. But because it takes so little, the samples should go further than their estimated one week. I like that, because I often have a hard time making up my mind, if I like a foundation or not.

With a little finishing powder, it lasted better than other brands. I also found no need for concealer. The foundation worked just fine as such, when I used it with my concealer brush. Therefore, perfect match, and no additional purchase necessary.

I have lots of allergies and the original formula worked best for me. I like the addition of Vitamin C and Allantoin, but if your skin can't tolerate them, "Lucy Light" is a simplified formula without it. I also tried the two oil-control formulas, but found that the original formula worked better in controlling shine.

The Ambrosia Serum didn't do anything for me, and definitely did nothing as a moisturizer. This is the only thing I will not order again.

Update: I still like this foundation a lot. Something new I just discovered is how well it is working as an eye shadow primer. I have very oily eyelids and I have tried Mary Kay's primer, Urban Decay Primer Potion and some others. They never lasted throughout the day, but Lucy's foundation does! Awesome!!!

EDM 50/0 mix Sandy Fair/Fairly Light
Meow - Siamese
Revlon - Buff
Lucy - Light

on 5/15/2011 6:07:00 PM

I love this product. I mix a little of the mineral powder with Estee Lauder's advanced night repair serum to create a smooth concealer for my under eyes and other problem areas. The result is long lasting and looks very natural, doesn't often settle into fine lines and doesn't look cakey. Doesn't look like you're wearing anything. Try this combination.

on 5/15/2011 3:15:00 AM

Eyes: Violet

I have to jump on the band wagon raving for this exceptional mineral makeup. The mineral I purchased is the Lucy Light Powder Mineral foundation. Here are the list of positive attributes about my purchase:

1. it did not make me break out like many many mineral makeups I have tried. If your skin is very sensitive like mine try their "light" foundation which has only about 5 ingredients. the texture is smooth as silk, soft as butter, I am totally taken by this product. I must have paid close to a thousand dollars trying mineral makeup on and off line and I have just about given up because mineral makeup tend make me break out, change color, look like a mask, slide off my face, add more years to my face, or do not stay put, etc.

2. it actually conceal flaws and pores if this is one of your requirement of a good mineral makeup. I was totally shocked because I have never had such an experience with mineral makeup before. I would rate the coverage as medium. It has way better coverage than alima pure at a much lower price and better packaging.

3. I can actually layer on using thin coats with a fluffy brush and my skin doesn't look masky, thick, dry, weird, or any of that stuff. I must have tried at least 15 minerals makeup and this is the ONLY one that I can actually add multiple layers on without going cakey or gross. just an unbelievable product.

4. the price is amazing. only $12 for a full 10 g. I've paid $20-30 for pricey mineral products only to get rashes , weird colors, bad skin, or no coverage. I love every aspect of this company. shipping is only 99 cents! yes you read it right. no matter how much i purchased, the shipping fee is only 99 CENTS ! what a deal. I hope they keep this 99 cent promotion permanent. I purchased minerals from other companies and they charged me nearly 6 dollars for the same stuff. I totally appreciate Lucy Minerals honest business practice.

5. the owner is exceptionally wonderful and catering. she answered all of my questions courteously and promptly.

6. the makeup lasts all day from 6 am to 9 pm! that's just shocking. nothing run, nothing smears, I sprayed water on it to see if it runs ...nothing happens. no color change, nothing slipping or sliding off my face. I worked out a sweat in my makeup and I still looking amazing. I cannot be more pleased. I walked by the mirrors at the mall and my makeup was flawless even though 10 hours has passed. I haven't tried to sleep in it so I don't know if it will last for 24+ hours. I haven't tried swimming in it yet but upon using hand water rubbing on my face, it does come off. This makeup is not rub proof so don't go rubbing. This makeup seems to definitely be great for outdoor girls who love hiking and biking without having to worry about makeup touch up. I didn't do a thing, not even blotting. the oil my my skin comes out at the end of the day, making the makeup even more seamless and perfect. not a pore or a blemish! it's simply a miracle.

7. I would say this makeup is mistake proof. I can add as many layer as I like and I simply cannot go wrong. it's still soft and smooth without looking masky or cakey like the other minerals i have tried. It actually covers flaws.I have many red marks from skin discolorations that none of the other mineral makeups can cover. This one DOES ! so many mineral companies claim to be natural looking but this one is the only one that actually delivers

8. it makes my skin looks flawless even without primer, fillers, concealer , or finishing powder. this makeup just is an all in one for me. I usually cannot go without concealer because of red spots but this makeup actually perfected my skin where I don't even need a concealer it has excellent coverage that looks like real skin.

9. you got to try their sample sizes. For only $1.50 per sample you can try all their products for only 99cent shipping fee no matter how much you order. The sample comes in nice clear tiny sifter jars with generous portion. I would say it's similar to EVERY DAY minerals sample packages in the past. they even sent me extra eye shadow powder samples for FREE ! it's just too good of an offer and products not to try.

10. they got at least 3 different formulas for different skin types with different needs. the "lucy light" version has the fewest additives with only about 5 ingredients. there is a formula for dry skin, sensitive skin, oily skin, as well as various formulas for oily skin. they got primers, blushes, lip balms, skin care products, as well as stuff for eyes, lips, and cheeks. non nano products, no bismuth, no harmful toxic ingredients. just stuff that are nurturing to the skin. their makeup also seems to have a higher SPF than most mineral makeup I have tried. Their mica are not treated with harmful chemicals like some of the other mineral makeups. I've ran into minerals that only contain 4 ingredients but they still itch me and cause rashes (probably due to the mica being chemically treated).

here are the not so great thing about this foundation

1. even the lightest color was a bit dark for me. Their snow white shade was too pasty and grey for me.

2. it is not water proof. It will last through light sprinkles but not pouring water.

on 5/5/2011 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am really impressed with this foundation. Being a girl with pretty oily/combination skin with occasional acne problem, it has been quite a task to look for a good foundation. I have tried so many foundation that you wouldn't believe, NARS, Chanel, Dior, Shu uemura, YSL, Rimmel, RMK, MAC, Vichy and so on and on. But this one has all the things that I am looking for - good coverage yet natural-looking.
I am a NC 20-25, and bisque is perfect for me.

on 5/4/2011 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

my skin:
fair, somewhat freckled and scarred, combination, acne-prone, and sensitive (since i use an AHA, BHA, Retin-A, and Taz)

have tried:
a LOT. recently, revlon colorstay for dry/normal skin (which i like, but feel like its bad for my skin and kind of heavy), and Bare Escentuals MMU (the lightest shade was too pink)

Pros:
-- you can get "Try It" sizes for $1.50 each, which is great, b/c you can test out a bunch before you decide
-- ordering from them is very much a personalized experience, complete with handwritten note! i like that i'm not "just another" customer, KWIM?
-- contains natural sun protection (Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide)
-- NO Parabens, Micronized Minerals, or Petroleum Products
-- water resistant and does well in humidity
-- Free from bismuth oxychloride, talc, fragrance or preservatives
-- no animal testing!
-- great coverage
-- a variety of shades, and even colors so you can mis you own!
-- and only $14 for a full sized foundation

Con(s)
-- only 1, that when you 1st apply the MU you have to wait for it to "warm up" to your skin and then go back over it with the brush in a few minutes to re-blend. blut for me after that it stays blended, and its not ot hard to do the foundation, etc, and then e/s and then come back and reblend.

i find that i'm the light shade, which is listed as a light neutral shade, as opposed to their "Fair", which is a cool, pale shade.

this is definately my HG MU now! so glad i heard aout it from MUA!!!

UPDATE 02/20/12: i'm still not happy about the warm up time needed, but despite that am happy with it! i'm having a hard time getting used to the fact that i dont need as much of the MMU as with other brands! sometimes i over-apply and get a cakey look. user error :)

on 4/16/2011 2:02:00 PM

This is one of the best mineral foundations out there (yes, I have tried a lot of them during the last 10 years!). So creamy, great stayingpower, perfect finish and a little goes a VERY long way. Love it!

on 4/8/2011 9:45:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This by far is the BEST mineral makeup i have ever found. I love the options for the oil control foundations. Silica works best for my oily t-zone but the calcium one works pretty well too. The ingredients are really good. The coverage is also by far the best. If i had to complain i would say that they dont have many options (if any at all) for dark skin so some women might not be able to use it.

on 3/28/2011 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have a sensitive, oily, and acne prone skin so it was quite hard to find a match foundation for my skin. Not until I came across this review, I'm so glad I purchased this product. This product really cover the redness area as if I was wearing liquid foundation. This is by far the best minerals foundation I have ever tried!

on 3/24/2011 7:47:00 AM

After reading so many fab reviews about Lucy Minerals mineral foundation, I really really wanted to like this and was so looking forward to receiving my $1.50 sample bags in the post. Sadly it has been extremely disappointing.

Firstly, there doesn't seem to be shade that truly matches my NC35 skin - medium is about the closest. Like the other reviewers, i found the other "medium" shades way too pink or too yellow.

Secondly, OMG it is cakey and drying!!! Having read Annies's instructions on the website, I only put on a single sheer layer, thinking I could build it up afterwards if I needed to. Even so, my skin looked so cakey and dry and I have combination skin. I've read some pretty mediocre reviews on Bare Minerals but I really do find that BM wins over this hands down - at least my skin looks healthy and luminous with BM and I never get that cakey look even when I've packed it on.

I'm glad I only paid $1.50 per satchel.