September 19, 2014 | 1807 users online

Skincare - Face - Turmeric

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2011 6:31:00 PM More reviews by oasdus

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I started using it as a mask one month ago, applying nightly or at least every couple nights. It has done wonders for my skin, but I'm sure this has been amplified because I started taking it internally too. (Note that this is just my experience, and you should consult a doctor before taking anything since it could react negatively with other medications or your system.)

As others have said, turmeric powder will stain everything, so it must be used with care. I just mix it with enough water to make a paste, apply it to my skin, let sit for at least 30 min, and rinse off the granules with water. A yellow stain is left behind so I use Neutrogena Naturals Purifying Pore Scrub, massaging it around to get off the residue. If any slight tint is left, I either let it go for the night and cleanse again in the a.m. or go ahead and do a second cleansing right then. I follow up with a drop or two of extra virgin olive oil patted over my skin.

I've been battling with hormonal acne lately, but it has improved since I started walking and losing a few pounds, and turmeric used internally and externally. My red marks from previous acne and face-picking were many years old, but they are looking better after a month of turmeric. The real difference right now is that my skin's texture and pores look more refined and my skin looks calmer and smoother. There is a "glowiness".

I have seen improvement each week that I've used turmeric as a mask and supplement over the last month. I feel lucky that I stumbled onto using it. I used to get these hard, round deposits deep within a pore, but now they are no longer solid, instead they are easy to remove. There was a terrible cyst near my eye that became a hard ball deep under the skin and I thought I was going to have to go to a dermatologist to get it cut out. About a month after starting turmeric, it changed to where I was actually able to drain it without much effort.

I also know my skin's improvement is not due to other supplements I take, though I'm sure they help, but I was taking them long before I started turmeric. I've improved my diet lately, but it wasn't that bad before either.
Turmeric was just $3 at the grocery store (probably cheaper at different stores).

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2011 8:40:00 PM More reviews by jessicaflox

I have been using turmeric mixed with yoghurt to try and lighten freckles. I'm not sure if it's working. At first I thought my skin and freckles might be getting lighter, but now I suspect they aren't. I'm going to keep going with it to see if there is any improvement. The down side is that it's very messy. On the upside it's very cheap.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 12:25:00 PM More reviews by jabritao

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been taking turmeric as a supplement to help with my breakouts for a year. Nature's Way Turmeric Tablets are my brand of choice but I have tried others looking for a better price still looking. The turmeric reduced the redness and inflammation of my subtype 1 and 2 rosacea within a few weeks. It also unexpectedly helped eliminate the mild soreness I almost constantly had in my neck and shoulders. One year later there is no evidence I ever struggled with the symptoms of subtype 1 rosacea!!! The acne on my cheeks from subtype 2 rosacea was reduced by about 75% at least. It also gives my skin a certain radiance. I plan to take this supplement for the foreseeable future. The only drawbacks are the cost and that my skin has a slightly more yellow hue than before. I like the new color. It looks glowy.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2011 11:24:00 AM More reviews by isavella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I picked up a packet of turmeric at an Indian grocery for about 2 bucks a couple of months ago. I am going to keep this review simple because that is how I use it. The only way I apply it is in a thick paste, mixed with water only, all over my face. I leave it on for at least a half hour about once a week. Very rarely do I use it to spot-treat a forming zit, but when I do, it's nearly gone overnight (especially if it's a cystic type). You want to know why? Because after starting this routine, along with a simple, cheap ($1.50) neem and turmeric hippie soap used as daily face wash, I don't need to zap that many zits. In fact, I can't remember the last time I even HAD a zit. This routine has effectively negated any sort of crazy acne regimen I had before (and oh, was I on one...my skin is the WORST). Not only is my skin nearly porcelain-perfect and glowy now, my pores have shrunk and many, many scars have faded. I barely need makeup. Yeah, it stains, smells funny, is a PITA, but the mental freedom of not having to worry about my skin, constantly spending $ and trying new things - is completely worth it.

40 out of 41 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2011 1:05:00 AM More reviews by hoku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Overall: 4

Price: 1 (very cheap)

Packaging: 3 (Mine is in a glass jar with a shaker top)

Buy again: yes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stumbled upon this remedy for swelling, sore, red pimples when I had one 2 days ago and was pretty desperate but I'm so glad I did! Home remedies don't usually have too much of an effect on me (Aspirin mask -- nothing, yogurt mask -- ok, honey mask -- ok...) so I wasn't expecting much, but I figured it would be worth a shot.

I had a random pop up of zits on my chin lately (probably stress related), and they were deep cystic types, very red, and very sore. If you suffer from this type, you know what I mean! anyway, I was totally embarrassed by them (it always sucks having to cake on makeup to hide them, but it never really does much), and I wanted them GONE.

My recipe: I used enough turmeric powder so that when mixed with either a few drops of water or lemon juice, it would form a liquidy-paste. I read that this stuff stains, so I mixed up my batch in a small black ceramic dish with a wooden chopstick and applied it to my spots with a clean concealer brush... in the kitchen! This won't stain stainless steel sinks, so that's why lol. I let it sit for about 30-45 mins until it was dry and feeling tight, and then I removed it with warm running water and my hands wearing latex gloves to prevent staining my hands (again, in the kitchen over the sink). I did end up using a small piece of wet linen to scrub over my skin, and it is now stained a bright yellow, so don't use nice face cloths for this. I then continued with my usual 3-step routine (Clinique level 3)

at first, I noticed that at least my pimples didn't hurt as much. And they looked a bit less red. I put some polysporin on them and went to bed. This morning, (after just 1 application), redness was down quite a bit (I would say easily about 50%) and the swelling was down like 50% too! It made a BIG difference after just 1 use. And, the pain was gone. So that really helped. I'm just so impressed that this simple home remedy made suck a difference for me. I used it again tonight, and I hope I will have great results!

In summary: Turmeric powder mixed with water or lemon juice makes a great spot treatment for oncoming, painful, red zits. Use tools to help reduce skin staining (i.e. concealer brushes, gloves...).

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2011 11:57:00 AM More reviews by jarona

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

OK. I found it hard to believe--but it is true. Turmeric DOES work wonders for your complexion.

Two days ago, I, at my old age of 55, woke up with the start of a huge zit on my chin that would have come to a greasy head at any time. In one way, I felt so young--but in another way, I felt so disgusted. I thought my zit days were over. I suppose not.

I remembered reading something online about turmeric as a zit-zapper so I figured what the heck!! Luckily for me, I have a lot of turmeric at home as I cook a lot of mid-eastern and Indian food.

Made a paste out of a couple of tblspoons of turmeric and a bit of water and slapped the mixture on my bumpy area. Lo and behold, it went down. A lot. I'm so impressed! The only thing that I could not do was convince my daughter that turmeric is a good cure for zits!

This is also very economical! If you note, I put a "1" for the packaging. I have a big bag of it--and the bag is a pain--but I"m going to have to double-bag it. Also, I got a big bag of it at Wegman's in the Indian food section for something like $2.99...so the price was dirt cheap.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2011 11:54:00 AM More reviews by eddiecatt

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

For the past year I've been suffering from hives and weird breakouts of dermatitis, and recently I have become strangely obsessed with improving my complexion (sign of age, haha). Well, turmeric does it all--after reading that it is an anti-inflammatory, I have been taking a teaspoon of ground turmeric in herbal tea every day for the past two or three weeks (with a bit of honey added), and this morning when I happened to scratch myself in the shower I noticed that, instead of welting up immediately as my skin has done since I was about 20, it just turned red but otherwise stayed quite calm. Miracle!!!

Like other reviewers, I've also noticed that turmeric mixed with a bit of milk or lemon juice is a very effective skin lightener. You can make a lovely, spreadable mask with yogurt and honey and some powdered turmeric--if the turmeric stains your face yellow (and it will), just dip a cotton pad in a natural oil and take it off that way. It's an amazing substance, and a central ingredient in Ayurvedic medicine--definitely part of my skincare armoury forever.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2011 6:46:00 PM More reviews by rheaZ

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This has been a go-to remedy for nearly every skin problem in my family since I can remember.
A little bit mixed with yogurt lightens acne scars, and the yogurt prevents your skin from getting stained.
You can also mix it with a bit of water to form a thick paste to soothe nasty burns.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2011 11:22:00 AM More reviews by ggarcia

I happened to read a review for the ACV and one of the reviewers mentioned something about Turmeric (which i had never heard of).. Well i came in here and read the reviews, and after suffering from acne for 12 years, and doing research on it online, i decided to give it a try,, OMG DOES IT WORK WONDERS OR WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!! I made it into a paste consistency with a little bit of warm water, honey and olive oil. I applied all over my face and left it on for about 1 hour. then i washed it off with wet hands and rubbed in circular motion and it all came off. Did not stain and I woke up this morning looking so refreshed and super smooth skin. My acne scars lightened up big time!! I will continue to use this. I am sooooo happy!!!!

Everyone suffering from acne and is spending hundreds of dollars in acne products has to buy!!! It's super cheap and it really works!!!!

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2010 5:06:00 PM More reviews by sdr95

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

My goodness, i don't know what mother nature did to this beautiful plant to make it so wonderful. Possibly the curcumin in it...but even science isn't entirely sure. Nothing...absolutely nothing else works on a forming zit better than this. No matter what, if the blemish isn't raised yet, perhaps just a bit of a sensitive spot or even just red, dab this on for a few hours....and it'll never come up. It'll go away within a day or two and done. However, if the zit's already formed and full, this won;t work, but acknowledging the science of acne, it makes sense. It truly astonishes me....this long held ancient indian tradition is marvelous. It also adds a fabulous glow for those with darker, more neutral skin tones. Not only is turmeric have antioxidant benefits, but it's majorly anti-inflammatory and works as a disinfectant. I think all these aspects also contribute to its magic. Just.....really...miraculous. Only think you can hope for is that your at home when you notice the small blemish....or else it might become too late.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No