July 28, 2014 | 963 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2013 6:10:00 AM More reviews by nattiekins05

Before I start, I just wanted you to know what this review was about. I wrote a review a while back on the differences between the spinbrush pro (and the different models) as well as the oil of olay version of the spinbrush. In this review I am comparing and contrasting them (this was before I bought one) to figure out which one would work best for me... I hope by reading this, you will have a better understanding of your options before purchasing a spinbrush...

I was very skeptical of this brush to begin withÖ. but I finally pulled the trigger after much consultation from my dermatologist. For any of those wondering, my dermatologist herself told me 1) this brush will make a huge difference regarding the health of my skin 2) that the Oil of Olay Spinbrush is just as good as the Clarisonic. That was her honest professional medical answer... So now I will give you my opinion on each of the two models.

The brush head: the brush heads differ on a few levels and I honestly feel that the The Clarisonic brush is superior. The Clarisonic brush head is much larger, even when comparing the smallest size Clarisonic MIA model to the Oil of Olay Spinbrush. The Clarisonic also has the optionality of different removable heads, one of them specifically for sensitive skin. I use this one. The drugstore versions do not have this optionality. After trying both Clarisonic brush heads (the regular and sensitive), I prefer the sensitive. I also feel the bristles on the Clarisonic model are softer and higher quality.

Cleaning power: About equal, but different. The Clarisonic uses a sonic oscillation system while the Oil of Olay Spinbrush uses a nonsonic rotating brush. The Oil of Olay version doesnít really vibrate like the Clarisonic but just sort of spins around in circles. When using the Clarisonic you simply move it in circular motions around your face as the brush vibrates. The Spinbrush doesnít necessarily work in that fashion since its already spinning around. They do feel different in my opinion. Probably both get you to the same place but I prefer the Clarisonic. I also think its much more effortless than the cheaper Oil of Olay brush. One thing that blew me away was not only how well it worked on my face- but also the eczema and tiny red bumps on my arms, after a few scrubs- GONE!

Charging: Clarisonic charges either in a base (if you buy the larger models) or in a simple handle attachment if you buy the MIA (thatís what I have). The Oil of Olay is battery operated- and this SUCKS! I have to change the batteries every two to three times of use (depending on how long I use it, which often varies). Yes, I do have rechargeable batteries, but still can be rather frustrating changing them SO often. This is why there is such aclassic difference in price, though. You get more with the higher quality, you just have to be willing to spend more too.

Models: The Clarisonic comes in 5, yes 5, confusing models. What is the difference in all of them? Why do we need 5 models? They differ in speeds, size, battery life, attachments they come with, and warranty. They range from $119 to $225. There is the MIA (both the MIA 1 and MIA 2). This is the most compact and does not come with a charging cradle but a charging link. The classic comes with a charging cradle. And the Plus and Pro models have 3 speeds and are for the face and body. I think this is all mumbo jumbo and all you need is the MIA. You really dont need different speeds and you can use the regular brush head on your body as well. Unless you really want a standup cradle I would purchase the MIA for $119. The higher models also come with more Clarisonic skin care products. You donít need to use their products. Use your own favorite products. The Oil of Olay only has one to chose from, with no models to choose from. It is very standard and really comes with NO bells and whistles.

Body functionality: The Oil of Olay Spinbrush is very tiny, almost too tiny for the body. I think you can use the MIA Clarisonic for body even though its not marketed that way. You can really tell the difference in price here because the Clarisonic is well built, and sturdy... but the Olay version doesnt fit in your hand as nice, and its not as well built as the other models.

Do I really need to spend $119 on a brush to wash my face? No. You donít need to. But it will get your skin cleaner and you will likely see improvement- like I have after using for just a few days. The brush removes significantly more dirt, oil and makeup than manual cleansing. Both brushes will help to loosen impurities from your pores alot more effectively than your fingertips rubbing soap on your face. However, this does not eliminate the need to exfoliate on a regular basis. The simple fact is that results from either brush are going to be better than not using one at all. The Oil of Olay clearly provides more value at $30. Although I cannot say for sure, it doesnít feel as though it will last for years and years like the Clarisonic does. The Spinbrush is a bit flimsier in your hands than the Clarisonic. I have had my MIA for about a year now and I love it. I would recommend it to every woman really. Especially those women who are obsessed with new facial products, those who keep their skin a top priority and also those who have needs and maintenance when it comes to keeping their skin glowing. If you have dry skin, if you suffer from serious acne or a few blemishes, if you have large pores- this brush will be a godsend. Like I stated earlier, I saw results within DAYS of using this. Keeping in mind, I was using the Nutregena Wave beforehand, which I thought was just the greatest thing... NOT. It doesnt stand a chance against my Clarisonic, not even close. Plus I got sick of spending money on those expensive pads that you needed to attach. I dont have that problem with this- I can use any product i want, and can change them anytime I want. Well worth every penny ladies! Honestly! <

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 1:48:00 AM More reviews by lauri

Love this... It is a must to own... exfoliates so your skin looks great

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2013 1:09:00 AM More reviews by aleachhunter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Warning: the first week or so after you buy this, your skin will hate you. At first, I thought this product was actually making my skin worse - it was like my skin needed to purge itself, manifesting into more blemishes than usual. Once that subsided, I found that my skin was more even, soft, and blemish-free than ever before. Worth the steep price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2013 12:25:00 PM More reviews by Superbeckyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Finally got round to reviewing my Clarisonic Mia - I've been using it for 3 months now. I ordered mine from Amazon UK for just under £120 including shipping and an inclusive American plug converter, as it doesn't seem to be sold anywhere else here and we don't have Sephora or Ulta. A very expensive buy for me, but if my skin looks as good as the reviews promise, it'll be worth it over time.

The converter plug works fine for me to charge the Clarisonic - the appliance is labelled as universal voltage, ideal for me as I travel to the US a lot and a necessity for anyone who travels. Also included was a small bottle of Clarisonic's 'refreshing' cleanser, which I have reviewed separately and could have done without. It was very easy to set up and after charging for a day it was ready to use.

I use the Clarisonic by first applying my cleanser of choice (Clarins' Pure Melt Cleansing Gel is my current favourite) and then massaging all over my face in sections for 10 seconds each, then washing off with a damp cloth. For the first 2 weeks I used it 1-2 times a day; now I use it every 2 days as my skin doesn't need it every day when used regularly. After the first 2-3 weeks my skin looked much clearer and radiant - didn't even know how anyone's skin could be described as 'radiant' before but I now know after using this! My combination skin used to be congested with blocked pores and also being sensitive, nothing really worked except for the Clarisonic.

I've read a few warnings online about the Clarisonic damaging skin, but if it hurts, just STOP - you're doing it wrong! All you need to do is buff the top layer of skin very gently to cleanse and exfoliate the surface, not scrub it - the vibrations do all the work.

It's a shame the Clarisonic is so expensive to buy from the UK, I'd pay up to £60-80 for what I received. Maybe a spare brush head or two plus some other mini products would have justified the price a bit. However I'm glad I have it now and hope it continues to keep my skin clear and lovely for a long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2013 11:20:00 AM More reviews by chelbellboo

i purchased my baby pink clarisonic mia from Macy's a while ago, and i absolutely love it, it is spot on for getting rid of dry patches before they even have a chance to start.my face feels so soft and clean after using it. before this i had been using the olay buffer, and while its an ok product, the clarisonic blows it right out of the water. the olay rotates, which is fine, but the clarisonic vibrates, you can feel it really getting in there n shaking the crap out of your pores.lol besides that, its just a more sturdy, well put together design, the rotating the brush is closer to the unit, whereas with the olay scrubber because the brush sits so far off the base, i felt like it was gonna fall off, cuz there was a slight wobble to the unit while in the on position.thats just my take on it,i will say this, i never did notice these things until i got the clarisonic and had something to compare it to.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2013 11:02:00 AM More reviews by cklinder

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have very acne prone skin and this product has made more difference than anything I have ever used. I use it every morning and every night. I use a glycolic cleanser (am using DermaDoctor Wrinkle revenge 2). I RARELY have a breakout now. I have been using it now for nearly a year and after about a month, I had friends comment to me how good my skin looked...they didn't know what I had been using, but noticed a difference. My skin has never looked better.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2013 11:50:00 PM More reviews by Iampo0kie

I waited ~5 weeks to write this review to make sure I tested out the product thoroughly. I ordered from Sephora because of the great return policy and have been using the sensitive brush head.

When I initially used it, it was such a hassle to add another gadget into my routine. But now I can't not use it everyday! I love it for the deep cleaning it gives my skin. I use a natural bare-bones cleanser that can be ineffective against very oily skin, but this tool helps remove all the oil and grime off my face. It also polishes the skin and whisks away dead skin cells. I often come out of the shower looking shiny and glowy.

I have pretty severe acne, with little millia bumps that cover my entire face and the occasional cyst or puffy whitehead. The problem with my skin was new millia would pop up everyday, and my face was becoming a bumpy mess! When I first started using this, I was still breaking out for the first week or so. But later, I noticed after I extracted a millia it would not come back! I owe it all to the spectacular cleaning from Clarisonic. It has really improved the texture of my skin and is slowly ridding me of blackheads and whiteheads. The progress is SLOW however and I plan on switching to the deep pore head to speed it up.

When I use it, I use it in the shower for about 2.5 cycles (I really like my skin to be clean!) and I feel like this could be over using it because my skin is dry. But it assures me all makeup and grime is gone. I would recommend this product because my skin just keeps getting better and better. The price is outrageous but its the only product of its kind.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/28/2013 7:14:00 AM More reviews by Heyycasablanca

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using the mia for about a month now. I saw results after the first time I used it. My skin has never been this soft and smooth. I have very oily skin with blackheads on my nose and acne and acne scars. Since using the clarisonic, my pores are much smaller, my blackheads are nearly gone, my acne scars are slowly fading, and my skin color is much more even (less red). I hadn't broken out until I started trying out new foundations so I don't think the clarisonic was to blame. I hope that with prolonged use, my blackheads and pores will completely diminish but as for right now, I am loving the results thus far!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2013 9:28:00 AM More reviews by 0mollyrose0

I neither hate or dislike the clarisonic Mia. I feel it hasn't drastically changed my skin, I still have horrific break outs on my cheeks and chin yet I feel sometimes it just irritates it. Overall, an ok non-essential product.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/23/2013 9:59:00 PM More reviews by bookie101

This seems to make my skin very smooth. Also, I think my facial products are sinking into my skin more. Also, I was having a major skin issue- I had begun to get hormonal acne (those deep, painful, 3 week-long zits that you can't pop) around my mouth. I have not had another hormonal acne breakout since I have started using my Clairsonic regularly. SOLVED the problem.