Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash

2.8

Active: Salicylic Acid (2%), Other: Water, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Disodium EDTA, Benzalkonium Chloride , Yellow 5, Red 40, Fragrance 07/2013

on 12/2/2012 7:29:00 PM

I'm sorry to see so many negative reviews for this product! Especially since it's really good stuff. I think folks go overboard with it sometimes, and if you do - it's powerful stuff, and will dry your skin up like the , proverbial prune! I use this about once a week - maybe stretching it out to every 9 days in the winter, maybe twice a week in the middle of summer. Always at night, and always after cleaning my face with 35% castor oil/65% sunflower oil.I always make sure my makeup is removed first, and I either lather up with this and let it sit for a moment, or I use it with my Clarisonic Mia if I feel like I need extra exfoliation. I moisturize IMMEDIATELY after patting my face with a towel, and I don't use this on Retin-A nights.Salicylic acid clears clogged pores like nothing else, but do be moderate with this, especially if you're past the teen acne years. I definitely think skin care is highly individual, and what works for one person may wreak havoc on the next. I really believe that being cautious is best - and not falling prey to the "more is more" way of thinking. It seems like alot of women go at their skin like it's an enemy attack - bombarding it with too much all at once. Take it slow, respect and support the skin's natural barrier.In other words - moisturize, moisturize, and then moisturize some more. If the natural barrier is in healthy shape, skin will be clearer and fresher. I can't believe it took so long for me to figure that out - but once I stopped stripping my skin and started protecting it, all the issues I had with it have improved. And I'm talking adult acne, clarity, smoothness, fine lines - everything.It seemed to take maybe two weeks before I started to notice the changes, but I think it's going to be fine as long as I'm gentle and moderate. Sorry if I am long winded - I truly hope this helps someone.

on 11/28/2012 3:13:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Well! This is one of the best and very standard cleanser! It contains no SLS!! I have an oily skin and i used to try many cleansers at first! But the result was unchanged skin condition neutrogena is safe though othr cleansers from neutrogena hve SLS! ONLY Ppl with oily skin should use this since it is formulatd fr oily skin follow with toner (i use neutrogena blackhead eliminating toner jst to prevent them from occuring and an neutrogena oil-free moisturizer) wel to me ths thre products r like decent and perfect

on 11/24/2012 12:30:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

I used this for months and months when I was a teenager and I kept getting worse and worse ance. I stupidly thought I had it "give it time", when I finally stopped using it, my acne began to clean. This is too irriating and doesn't clean well.

I have been using this face wash along with the neutrogena rapid clear 2 in 1 toner and acnevir adult acne treatment and this combo had been a godsend for my acne. I have been struggling with horrible cystic acne forever and recently its gotten so bad just barely touching my skin would cause them to burst and bleed. I was desperate to get rid of them they were all over my face. So finally I decided to experiment with new products. I tried everything drugstore from gentle cleansers to harsh max strength stuff and nothing was working. I saw this cleanser on sale at walgreens 20% off for a huge bottle so I have been using it consistently day and night along with the toner and treatment and its greatly reduced the acne I have on my face. I no longer have huge painful zits they are pretty small now its been 1 week maybe 2 since using this regimen and I know if I stick to it they will be gone. I believe this cleanser has helped with no new pimples occuring on my face. It is drying though so use very little and lather it in your hands before applying to your face and use a good moistueizer after. I use olay complete sensitive skin in the cream formula it helps a lot

on 11/16/2012 8:10:00 PM

This was alright, it didnt make my face worse, but it didnt do too much. it took a few months to actually notice a difference so when i run out im getting something else. it also didnt lather well i felt like my face wasnt clean. :/

on 11/13/2012 7:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I was actually expecting the rating on this product to be alot higher!!It's awesome. This is the first product, out of the hundreds of drugstore acne products that I've tried for my face that seems to make a difference. It dries out my zits without leaving my skin too dry, and keeps the oil on my skin under control. I think I'd be the ultimate grease ball without this stuff. Kudos Neutrogena! :D

I didn't see any difference in my skin it was like i splashed water on my face and that was all. It smells horrible also.

on 11/8/2012 1:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This was my first face wash when I was 10 years old or so and starting to find a need for a skincare regime (puberty break-outs, anyone?). It's still around after so many years, and I expect it will be for many more to come.

The product itself is a liquid dispensed in a pump. A dime-sized amount foams up enough to cover my whole face. Some work is required to get the foam to pop up - you definitely want to do this between your hands rather than on your face where you will likely end up with little foam and a lot of slime.

Even without any other cleansers to compare it to at the time, I knew that I really disliked this cleanser. It was incredibly drying and my skin had hundreds of dry, white lines after rinsing. It was what drove me to need a facial moisturizer in the first place. However, I might have put up with all this, or at least thought it was the norm, if it had taken care of my breakouts at the time. I went through an entire bottle with no improvements.

I can see that this will be a first-time cleanser for many teenagers to come, and I really hope it works for many of them. It was just terrible for myself, and I now compare every other cleanser I ever touch to my face to this one as the bottom standard. Also, Neutrogena is unfortunately not cruelty-free, but I don't include that as part of my rating as the product performance is a separate item from the company's policies.

on 10/20/2012 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I used this one night when my husband I and were staying over at my in-law's. I'd forgotten to take my own bottle of face wash (Philosophy Purity) into the shower with me, so I used a pump of my BIL's cleanser, the Neutrogena OFAW. Oh my goodness. My face felt like it was on fire, and it peeled and flaked for a week. (My skin is a little on the dry side, but fairly normal--just adding this so you'll know I'm not some fool who used this knowing she has really sensitive skin) My BIL has terrible acne, hence, I'm sure, the reason he thinks he needs to use this cleanser. I'd put money on the fact that he breaks out so badly because his face is trying to fight back against the damage this wash does. There have got to be better (better meaning "gentler") cleansers for acne prone skin. My face hurts just thinking about this stuff!

on 10/10/2012 11:16:00 AM

Love it!! I see an improvement in my skin everything I use it! This is my second favorite acne face wash!