September 16, 2014 | 1822 users online

Treatments - OPI - Nail Envy - Original

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2009 4:51:00 PM More reviews by blueglitter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

i LOVE this product, my nails feel great with it on and they are stronger, i have really week nails and after using this they already feel strengthened, the packaging is a bit ugly though but the product is good, a bottle will last ages. also when i put this on a dont tend to bite my nails either.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2009 1:48:00 AM More reviews by ivegotgold

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A couple of years ago I spent all summer gardening without gloves on and after that my nails were always in bad shape. I couldn't get them to grow very long because they would peel and/or break. I like my nails to all be the same length, so when one broke I would have to shorten the rest. With so many nails breaking they were always very short. I tried many different products that were supposed to help but they just seemed to dry out my nails and make them peel horribly. They didn't keep them from breaking either. I finally decided to try OPI Nail Envy after stumbling upon a goodly number of rave reviews for it on some website that was selling it. I apply it according to the instructions, which means two coats on the first day and then one coat on each of the next six days before removing it with nail polish remover and starting over. It has definately toughened my nails up a bit. I notice that when I remove the product I cannot easily bend the ends the way I used to. It is also more difficult to break my nails when I have several coats on. The product does last a while. I can't say exactly how long, but I am nearing the end of my second bottle and have been using the product for about five and a half months. I also apply generous coats each time. I have noticed that a couple of my fingernails do still have a tendancy to peel more than the others, although this is probably due to their previous condition. There is also a limit to how long I can grow my nails before they still break easily and it is not quite as long as I would like, but I doubt there is a product out there that will accomplish that. That being said, this is still the best product I have found. I have this on my nails at all times and will continue to buy this product because it is the only one that has worked for me, and with such great results.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2009 3:24:00 AM More reviews by tropical_dreams15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think this is a great product. My nails feel a lot stronger when I apply this as both a base and top coat. I let my nails grown out this summer while on vacation and without Nail Envy that would have been impossible. Even the manicurist I had been seeing all summer commented on how strong and healthy my nails looked. Another reason I love this product is that it isn't tinted; so it wont change the colour of your polish (unlike some base/top coats). I'll admit that it's kinda expensive but if used properly you wont regret this purchase. You can probably get a small bottle during the winter holiday season because they tend to have seasonal collections with mini versions of colours and stuff.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2009 1:32:00 PM More reviews by mrsleonidas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I naturally have very weak, thin, peeling and bending nails.

So.......Thank goodness for these H.G's..... Nail Tek II Foundation (which is a matte finish) and Nail Envy Original(which has a high gloss finish)

I actually had good results with the N.Tek. I have used it for over 2-3 months now. But, my pointers and thumbs were still not that great. Also, I thought they all could be a little stronger.

(Hint: always give a strengthener at least 5 weeks... so it can to get rid of the weak parts and work on the new parts)

So enter..... my Nail Envy Original.......at first I was scared it would make my nails start peeling again.....But thank goodness it didn't!(many other strengtheners have besides my new 2 H.Gs, yay!)

My nails ARE STRONGER and LONGER and I have NO OUTRAGEOUS PEELING!

I was VERY worried I would ruin my progress I made with my N.Tek II Foundation base coat. But this NAIL ENVY ORIGINAL REALLY ROCKS! It has improved them a lot!

I have to file them a lot now and they do not bend backwards anymore! Its been about a month so far.

I know that too much use can promote brittleness......so I will go back to my Nail Tek II Foundation for a few weeks, since its not as strong. You it was made for always being a base coat.

My inner side of my thumbs are still bent a little. But I do play the drums.I know that my thumb/nails do get bent/hurt from that. I keep my nails at an active length with a little more length sometimes ;)

I also love the high glossiness. I use a thin coat to refresh my mani's, after a few days too.

This how I use it............I use 2 coats of this as base, 2/3 layers of OPI Lacquer and then a fast drying top coat ( I use Poshe or Seche..... Though, Poshe seems to be better at not shrinking my polish away from edges)

My nails polish lasts for 4 or more days! Which is great for my nails! ;) ...

Some has said that it made their lacquer peel off like a fake press on. Well so far so good for me. It also may be that I use the fast dry top coats which blends/melts them all onto the nail pretty good. Well, I really don't know ;) Also, I received the regular(not prowide) brush one, doesn't it still have the formaldehyde and etc,.......again I don't know.

Hint:......always put your fast dry top coats on, when your polish is still wet!

Try this regimen for stronger nails.......

1. Use this as directed on box for a week or two. Then use 2 thin layers as a base coat under your fav polish. ( Hint.... Buy this online,its expensive at drugstores or Target. Its much cheaper at online nail e-tailors or Ebay)

( Unfortunately, the only bad effect from this product is the yellowing of the nails....though I only wear very bright colors in summer and dark colors in winter. If you wear lighter colors then maybe you could apply a thin coat of soft white over the 2 base coat layers or even a ridge filler... then your lacquer color.)

2.) Run out and Buy yourself a Glass/Crystal nail File Immediately! (only use these, the emery boards do I repeat do cause peeling).

3.)Use Cuticle oil/cream all over the nail, at least 2 times a day.(look at my other reviews for my favs).....Your cuticles are the key to good nails. Also put it under your nails too.

4.) I take a complete vitamin daily(I don't know if it matters but, it can't hurt!)

5.) Dry your underside of your nails after washings. Then apply a Glycerin based lotion on hands. Use it all over and under nails too.

Good Luck!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2009 10:40:00 AM More reviews by RtiQlitQT

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Some might not realize that with any nail product, individual body chemistry plays a major role, much like with fragrance. What is HG for one, is a total failure for another.

My disclaimer is that I've only used the old, formaldehyde version of this, in the matte formula, and it did not help my nails at all. I have not used the newer version without formaldehyde, but I can't imagine that it would work better for me. However, this works for many people, although there is a significant percentage who have had their nails become more break-prone with use of this product. I did not experience this; the product just didn't make any noticeable improvement for me. Everyone's results may vary (YRMV)!

My HG is Nailtek Foundation II, which is also a matte, treatment base coat. I find NFII to have the best application, smoothness, drying time, durability, and nail improvement qualities, and it is cheaper.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2009 10:17:00 AM More reviews by traceyadwl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a really good base coat, particularly if your nails are going through a brittle/damaged phase. It will smooth out imperfections and make the nails appear stronger while they are repairing. Once you apply polish, you would never know that there is anything wrong with the nails underneath!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2009 11:11:00 AM More reviews by mrsleonidas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well, I got so lucky and bought this for under $5.00 a few weeks ago online! YAY me!

My HG has been N.Tk II Foundation. It definately helped my thin, bending,peeling,slow growing nails.
Though,on my right hand my pointer and middle peeled a tiny bit in one area at edge sometimes. Although....I do play drums and I know I hold my stick in a way that bends them down. But, I wanted those to be a lot better.

Enter..... Nail Envy...it works!

It does not peel off my nails....(like some has reviewed...maybe the deep dry top coat mends it to my nails)...it lasts so well and has not come off like a fake press on(which sometimes my N.Tk did)....Using a 3 step process of 2 coats of original envy for base, 2/3 coats of OPI lacquer and a quick dry shiney top coat(sche or pshe) placed upon it while wet. No chipping at all either.

This is so shiney and the smell is not that bad. It did not burn like the N.Tk did at my first few uses. I also, did the treatment the bottle states at first for a week or two.

Though, I now only use it 1-2 times a week for a basecoat when changing my mani.

Also..... Thank goodness this has not caused my nails to go back to peeling in layers. I was worried by some of the other reviews.(A S.Hansen green tea etc. strengener had made my nails peel worse than before and I gave it many weeks to come out of it and it didn't.) I did not want it to ruin the wonderful progress from my N.Tk II foundation. Thank Goodness its been good so far! Yay!

My nails are not bending so much and are definately a little stronger.

Always, give a product a month or so.... beause it needs to get rid of the bad parts to begin strengthening the new growth.

Try this and N.Tk II foundation. The foundation one works to fill in and smooth your nails if they are damaged from fake nails. Or of course just using it for a base for normal nails and it also whitens the nails for a better application of light colors. I will now try the Matte version of N Envy for the same whitening covering too.

Both N.TkII and N. Envy are H.G. material for me.Because they both work!I will switch off and on. Since I heard that too much Envy will eventually cause the nails to be too hard and snap off. Also, I heard that the N.Tk II is calmer and can always be used.

I am so happy that I now have nails like my Mommy and sisters....yay me!

P.S........
Go buy a cuticle oil/cream and use it at least 2 times a day...the cuticles are the key for healthy nails.

Also.......always only use a "glass file"..... regular emery boards tear and does not seal the free edge. Throw them away...now! lol

Good Luck! ;)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/10/2009 7:34:00 PM More reviews by carat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm constantly changing my nail polish, plus working at a hospital I'm constantly washing my hands and using hand sanitizer, so my nails were in pretty rough shape. I'd tried many different products and nail strengtheners, and I have to say, this is by far my favourite so far. I noticed a big difference after only a few applications.

Pros: It goes on smoothly, has mininal smell, a great brush for application, as well as actually looking nice on your nails.

Cons: It is quite expensive.

I haven't noticed any significant chipping/effect on the lasting power of my polish, but it's something I'll definitely watch out for now that I've read your reviews.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/21/2009 7:50:00 AM More reviews by angour

Pros: I love OPI polish bottles and the new flatter and wider brush, it makes the application easy. The formula dries very fast, can be worn by itself with 2-3 layers and makes hands look really neat.

Cons: This did absolutely nothing for my nails. I used it both on its own and as a base coat for the past 3 months and my nails keep splitting in huge chunks, zero change from when I first started using it. Will not repurchase

rated 4 of 5 on 8/8/2009 10:36:00 AM More reviews by andylynns

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My sister has this, and I've used it a few times. I initially loved it because it strengthens your nails LIKE CRAZY. It's just amazing.
However, I found it makes polish peel off after a few days (instead of a bit of polish just chipping off with wear, it will pull up and you can peel the whole nail's worth of polish off)
I guess it's debatable how big of an issue this is though.
What tipped the bucket for me was finding out that it costs $20.. too expensive!