August 2, 2014 | 1233 users online

Mascara - Smashbox - Lash DNA

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2009 1:50:00 AM More reviews by FrugalMakeupAddict

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

On the hunt for my HG mascara, I tried this, and I don't especially like it. Perhaps the weird wand just takes some getting used to, so I will edit this if I find it better after more uses, but I find it hard to use, and for me the double helix shaped brush makes it harder to reach every lash. Could just be me. But the formula itself didn't impress me either. I did not find it lengthened my lases, although it was a nice dark colour. It was a little tiny bit clumpy but nothing really bad. It didn't fan out my lashes either. For the price, it was a waste for me. I put this on one eye, and NYX doll eye lengthening on the other and asked my family which was better and they all agreed the NYX was better. There was no comparison to me. I will be swapping this.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2009 3:53:00 PM More reviews by somastarr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This brush is so intriguing, and I'm happy to say it actually works! The double-helix design of the bristles is incredible for gripping lashes, lengthening them and fanning them out in a pretty fringe. I applied it and the first thing I noticed was that my eyes POPPED from underneath my bangs.

Lash DNA volumized, lengthened, and held a curl all day long. I have lush lashes with it; a very pretty look. It's a really great mascara, especially compared to some other overly-hyped products on the market (ahem, Diorshow).

A bonus: the box it comes in features a pull-out side flap that provides detailed application tips to make the most of lashes. They really are helpful; with the wand, the tips work.

So far, I'm loving this.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2009 7:04:00 PM More reviews by blacktimes21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this mascara mostly for the conditioning properties, although my lashes are already dark and somewhat thick. I have never seen anything like the chunky, block-shaped wand the mascara came with, so it took some practice. Also, the formula was quite wet and slick which also made it somewhat hard to work with. At first it weighed my lashes down so much it pulled out any curl, which I absolutely hate, but soon it dried out a bit and the problem was fixed!
UPDATE: After about a month of applying this stuff religiously, I've noticed my eyelashes have grown maybe 1/4 inch. It doesn't sound like much but I am thrilled! I wasn't really expecting any growth but it is such a pleasant surprise! Definitely recommended, especially at the price ( :

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2009 10:14:00 PM More reviews by 1spell4u

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm giving this 5 lippies because it did lengthen my lashes and I like it when a product does what it advertises. It didnt make them look like false lashes or anything, it did a decent job of lengthening. I still have to use another mascara to build some volume. Overall a good mascara to splurge on.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2009 9:55:00 PM More reviews by Becks14

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

WoW I can't believe there are bad reviews of this mascara. I love the little fat brush, it gives more control and I felt I could apply plenty of mascara in just a few strokes and not have to apply over and over again to get any effect. No clumping for me so far, just long, separated lashes.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/10/2009 8:20:00 AM More reviews by phatsjunx

I purchased this because a Sephora mua recommended it. The brush intrigued me because it was short, fat, and not your typical mascara brush. Anyway, I tried it today and I admit that it coats every lash but it is super wet and takes a while to dry. I ended up with mascara prints under my eyes and trying to rub it off only made the smudging worse underneath my eyes. I applied Shiseido mascara base first since this mascara isn't water proof. Usually the base helps most of my mascaras to hold the curl...but my lashes drooped after three applications. I can see how this mascara can work for some people. I'd recommend it to people who have short THICK lashes. I have short SPARSE Asian lashes. Boo for me. For this price, I have to say it's not worth it for me. I think Max Factor Volume Couture (non wp) or Maybelline's Volum Express Turbo Boost Mascara (wp) work way better than this for a cheaper price.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2009 1:15:00 PM More reviews by ricochet0118

After a dissapointing run in with Smashbox'x Bionic mascara, I did not have high hopes for this, but I am so glad I gve it a shot. My eyelashes are awful, sparse, short, skinny and barely visable. This gives me big beautiful lashes. It takes a minute or two to really get the application perfect, but for me it is worth it. It isn't water proof, but I have had no flaking or smudging. The only fault is sometimes there is a lot of product on the brush that can cause it to clump, but a quick wipe takes care of that.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/4/2009 1:26:00 AM More reviews by jlzakaras

Big disappointment. I bought this today, took off my eye make-up and tried it out. I followed the directions on the package, and also tips that previous reviewers posted, and was underwhelmed to say the least.

This mascara didn't hold curl, length was adequate at best, and zero volume of which to speak. Two coats gave barely any lash definition at all, three clumped horribly. I did like that there is no excess product on the wand when it is removed from the tube.

Maybe this will be better once the formula has time to dry out, I'll give it another couple of tries, but so far, I hate it. I'll most likely go back to my usual, Max Factor's Lash Perfection - that is a great mascara, makes my eyelashes almost look false, but the product dries out after just a couple of weeks, so I'm always on the lookout for something better.

Edited - Screw Lash Perfection. I stumbled on NYX's Doll Eyes Long Lash - heaven in a tube. Everything I've ever wanted in a mascara - and it is great from the start. I've found Lash Perfection needs some time to dry out before it's really good.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2009 9:42:00 PM More reviews by alysser

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

i didnt like it at first but after i used it a few times and got the hang of it I LOVE IT! i usually prefer volumizing mascaras but i really like this one. also, once it dries its not too hard and stays soft. it doesnt get clumpy on me either.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2009 2:16:00 PM More reviews by MsLips

I got this as gratis at work (ULTA) and I was so happy I got this as gratis because I was about to buy it. I'm a Smashbox junkie! I've never really been a huge fan of their mascaras though...Bionic wasn't all that it claimed to be so I was debating on buying this, but from reading the reviews on here and how it looked on customers I put it on, I decided when I had more money, I'll def purchase it, but yay I didn't have to!

Anyways, Lash DNA is probably my favorite mascara from Smashbox so far. It gives me nice volume and length that is buildable. The good thing is that it doesn't make your lashes feel heavy (like my HG mascara Bourjois Volume Clubbing does). This is a conditioning mascara with a small amount of resin which is a sticky substance from nature that binds to the lashes creating volume and thickness. The brush is a double helix brush and I was confused when I first saw it, but QVC has a video and directions online so I read those.

The directions were to first start off with one bold sweep and then turn the brush vertically and brush up the lashes for extra length and then fan out at the ends. I like my mascara heavy and dramatic so I added my extra tricks to those steps for extra drama because I feel those steps don't give enough results. So what I like to do is swish the brush vertically side to side across my lashes for it to deposit a load of mascara (at this point it looks clumpy) but then i turn it back horizontally and brush up my lashes and do the zigzag motion for more volume an length, THEN i do the vertical step and brush up my lashes and fan out at the ends, then I let that coat dry, do my eyebrows/blush, and then I apply another coat! All I do for the last coat is more zigzag motions and brushing for separation and length! Hope this helps! Oh and for the bottom lashes I turn my brush vertically and swish the brush side to side to deposit lotsa mascara and then brush down. This brush can be a little challenging for the bottom lashes, but you get the hang of it.

19.00 and found at Ulta