October 31, 2014 | 1406 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal Waterproof

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2011 11:35:00 AM More reviews by taurusgurl5984

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Been using this mascara a couple months now. Holds curl wonderfully as most WP mascaras do. I don't get smudging until I've been wearing for more than 10 hours, and only if I am blinking kind of hard (I get dry eyes at the end of the day, so sometimes I close my eyes a lot and blink them sort of hard and that seems to make the mascara smudge). Separates, lengthens, and thickens. It's a no more than 2 coats mascara for me, though. More than two coats looks spidery. For me 1 coat is a nice natural look, and two coats is dramatic. It reminds me of Maybelline Full N'Soft WP that I wore in high school, but a little more dramatic, and less smudgy. I've already re-purchased this a few times to have back ups.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/31/2011 10:14:00 PM More reviews by Nelsy12345

definetly gave me long baby doll lashes. I have nturally long lashes, and this made them pop! This is a mascara i would definetly go back to. Even when it started drying out it rarely clumped. It also laste dme a loooong time so thats a plus!!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/26/2011 7:04:00 PM More reviews by katyeridao

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

amazing mascara! holds the curl, lengthens amazingly, and has good volume! although Colossal is a great mascara, i have to say that i really don't see a difference between colossal and the falsies :b i think that the falsies is cheaper though.

i definitely recommend this mascara! however like any mascara it smudges HORRIBLY in the summer time, and if you wear contacts like me, it will smudge -_- . when i'm just wearing glasses though it wears nicely.

**EDIT:

although i love the initial results, this mascara as well as all of the maybelline waterproof mascaras is very irritating to the eyes, especially if you wear contacts :(

rated 1 of 5 on 10/21/2011 4:24:00 PM More reviews by MiaMore84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this after reading all the promising reviews... for starters I have short, stubby, stick-straight, pointing-downwards Asian lashes. My criteria for an HG mascara is as follows: MUST hold a curl, must volumize w/out clumping--clumping causes my already sparse lashes to look even more puny, MUST lengthen due to the fact that my lashes are pretty much non-existent. This mascara did OK in the volume department but the brush was too big for my eyes. Also the formula was so wet that anymore than two coats would weight my lashes down. DID NOT hold a curl. I felt that Maybeline's "Full N' Soft WP" held a better curl and for me, did a better job of evenly coating and volumizing my lashes. It also didn't clump at all either (Full N' Soft) while the Colossal WP kinda clumped if you didn't wait long enough for the first coat to dry. Overall, I like Full N' Soft better.

Pros:
- Volumizes well
- Not too wet formula
- Very waterproof
- Doesn't smudge
- No flaking
- Formula gets better with time

Cons:
- Makes lashes kinda crunchy and stiff
- Hard to build layers
- Can get a little clumpy and stick lashes together if not applied properly
- Huge wand is uncomfortable
- Need a lash brush

I heard the non-waterproof version was a lot better so I'll probably try that one

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2011 9:09:00 PM More reviews by AriSatomi

Udate 28-09-11: I think this mascara is very useful when it comes to layering, because as we all know, CG Lash Blast WP is extremely hard to remove. I've used it alone for a while without layering with my Colossal WP and it took me four rounds with Vaseline! I'm sticking with the Colossal-LB WP combo because together, they give me voluminous fluttery lashes that stay curled all day. The rating has been changed to 4, as I can use this mascara for weekends when I don't want to bother with removing LB WP. :) This is a very worthwhile mascara if you don't normally have smudging problems.

Update 26-09-11: I find that after a day, it smudges onto my lower lids. I've purchased the CG Lash Blash Waterproof to layer over this mascara so that it stops smudging, but I just wnd up using only that mascara. I will not repurchase, but I'll use up the tube that I have. I do think that it is a good mascara, the only problem being smudging for me.

Original review: Thanks to all of your with hard to curl lashes that have reviewed this mascara!! I knew I could trust so many people's opinion on this. I normally wear liner daily, so to me, mascara was never essential. However I've been trying to lay off my gel/liquid liners lately as they are rather difficult to remove. Hence, I have to find a good mascara to define my eyes more. My lashes are rather hard to please: they are thin, sparse, straight, short, and hard to manage. In desperate need to find good mascaras I first tried all the top rating mascaras on MUA. I've used Voluminous, DiorShow, YSL Faux Cils, Definicil, and noumerous others that were also highly rated, albeit are not reviewed by a lot of people: Unstoppable, Beauty Tubes, Double Wear, Clarins Perfect, etc. But I think I've found the one! What I look for in a mascara are the following factors: curl, length, and no smudging. This mascara hold a curl perfectly and it provides medium length. Do note that I have rather dark lashes to beging with, so pigmentation wasn't truly a problem. I also wasn't looking for volume, so I was glad to find that the huge brush defined my lashes very well. I bought the color Glam Black because there was no other choice (my small DS lacks stock updates) but reading about it, I find that it was just what I needed. The packaging is somewhat fun and refreshing after all the classic looking black/gold/navy designs. Although one thing I'd like to see in the packaging is the little clicking part at the neck of the bottle that ensures me that I've properly closed my mascara, but it's no biggie. The smell is rather unpleasant, I agree with everyone, especially because it is waterproof so it's very waxy. But that's not enough for me to dock lippies from the rating because I truly find this mascara much superiour to my other "top pick" purchases. Overall this gets a great rating from me, and I will repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/19/2011 2:58:00 PM More reviews by Perpp

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this mascara two days ago, and I am returning it. I have short eye lashes, and this mascara did nothing to help it. All it did was clump up my lashes and my lashed looked the same, but only darker and clumpier. There was no length added to lashes whatsoever and there was no volume.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/19/2011 11:16:00 AM More reviews by GeekChic82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I'm personally not a fan of this mascara. I picked it up because I've always had good luck with Mabelline mascaras, but this one surprised me. It was very chunky and I had to work very hard not to end up with spider lashes. I found it far too thick for my taste, and constantly had to remove half of the mascara on a tissue before applying. You will need a GOOD eye make-up remover to get all of this mascara off, it sticks like glue.

However, kudos to this mascara for being *truly* waterproof and tough to get off. I did enjoy being able to have a shower at the gym and not worry about re-applying afterward. If not for the chunky factor, I probably would buy 'Colossal Waterproof' again if only for this reason.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2011 5:56:00 AM More reviews by aliengreentea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I really love this mascara. I am not a fan of the nonwaterproof one but the waterproof version is the best. It holds my curl really well especially since my lashes are so stick straight stubborn. I also like the fact that it volumizes and lengthens my lashes as well. My lashes so noticeably fuller and I would definitely buy this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2011 11:54:00 AM More reviews by hcle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

love it. i usually get panda eyes putting me off mascara for a good number of years and i decided to try this as it was on sale for $3AU (freak sale).

It doesn't smudge, gives me volume (don't mind the non defined, slightly clumpy look due to my lack of lashes),
= is great!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/6/2011 4:39:00 AM More reviews by amandamooo

OML, well for starters i accidently picked up the waterproof one instead of the normal one, this stuff was absolutely impossible to get off my lashes, it had like no anti clump wiper or anything so it was a VERY clumpy mascara, i have short straight lashes so i hoped this would volumise them alot, i swear it only made them clumpy not 9x the volume or whatever, its wand is really short too, esp compared to define a lash etc. its a bright yellow so it definitely stood out in my makeup collection but it has a weird off smell to it. the only good thing for me was that it held my curl pretty decently so yeah it definitely was not the mascara for me, maybe if you have long curly eyelashes?