December 21, 2014 | 1789 users online

Brows - Castor Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2012 11:07:00 PM More reviews by jstehr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

So, while I was pregnant my hair became very dry and thick. After baby came out, my hair started coming out too, and was still dry and thick. I was tired of trying chemical remedies, because quite frankly I don't know if chemicals are the way to go. I did so much reading and research and castor oil has such rave reviews I figured why not? I paid $8 for an 8oz bottle, which is so inexpensive. I put the oil into a squeeze bottle and apply to my roots and massage in at least 3 times a week, put on a shower cap and leave it for a few hours. You're probably thinking "who has time for that?" but really it takes 3 minutes to apply then you can go about your business. It's not exactly glamorous but who cares. I shampoo it out and I don't even have to apply conditioner! I focus the oil on the hairline and roots, and apply also to my lashes and eyebrows every night (using a q-tip). I've only been using this for a few weeks and I have to admit that my hair, lashes and brows have never been glossier. My hair is breaking way less and falling out far less. I'm excited to see the results after 2 months of use!

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2012 4:42:00 PM More reviews by Euphoria93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this product! First of all because it's really cheap (I use now foods) and because it actually works! But you have to be patient and use it at least every night over a longer period of time (I used it for 3 months before I saw a difference, and I still had to apply it for another month to really fill in the brows). I also used it on my eyelashes, but I focused mostly on the brows, so I guess I wasn't persistent enough to see much of a difference - but I noticed that less eyelashes fell off during application and removing of mascara. Thumbs up for that! But a little bit goes a long way - your brows shouldn't be sticky or wet, if that's the case the oil can be smeared into the skin and cause breakouts.

And I know a lot of people find this quite messy, but I found a solution that worked great for me: You know those supertiny test tubes in glas from decleor they use for the serum (neroli, rose)? Yeah, that made everything so much easier for me. I just poured it half full and has it lying around. No spilling, no huge and ugly bottle that has to be available on the sink. I don't even need a q-tip, seeing as the glas is formulated to only release a small amount. Just go to a skincare salon and ask pretty please with sugar on top if you can get a tester of the serum. Most of them should say yes, but if they say no you can also use perfume test tubes. I suppose those come in extra handy too, seeing as they have that stick tingy in it (used for applying the perfume) that can help you dot the oil into the brows.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/27/2012 5:09:00 PM More reviews by troglodyte

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Tried it every night for a month, didn't do a single thing to grow my brows.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2012 3:21:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

I began using CO in June of this year. I have a medical problem causing my moisture glands to atrophy. I always had long, thick, healthy hair. Now it has the look of an old doll left out in the rain. Extremely dry, brittle, and due to the brittle nature, breaking off in large quantities. No product can replicate the natural moisture our bodies produce when functioning normally so I have tried dozens of products to remedy my situation, few have helped and no other prevented breaking and shedding.

I have tried supplements as well, again, no tanglible results. I use CO the following way: if I'm going too be staying in I slather some on not just my scalp but the lengths. Its very thick in viscosity, think molasses not olive oil. It has a sticky nature I've not found in other oils. I apply pre-wash then add a small amt to my conditioner as well.

The difference in hair loss when using CO in this way is quite dramatic. I was losing a handful each shower which was devastating to me. Now I see minimal loss, almost the same as previous to my condition.

While I find CO to have a cumulative effect in that the overall health of my hair, if I skip using it prior to showering, I once again lose more hair though a lesser amount.

My hair has a gleam to it that I had as a child, but no way can my now porous, brittle, frizzy hair can reflect shine like that on its own anymore.

I add a small amt to my hair post shampoo. Easier to distribute if you mix with a leave in product. If hair is sticky, and looks greasy clearly you've used too much but its really trial and error. My hair is very porous now so I need more than most would. Start small, you can always add more.

My eye brows have always been thick but I began to see a small bald patch on one. This oil has helped to regrow that area in my opinion.

I've tried coconut oil and even a tiny amount is too difficult to remove. Its best for body for me and I love it for that. Jojoba is a favorite pre flat iron, or to just to add shine but it always made my back/shoulders, breakout in acne. Almond oil is nice too, no breakouts yet does not stop breakage/shedding for me. Olive oil is too thick post conditioning, I like it for skin more than hair for myself.

I notice no scent, just a clear thick liquid. I buy small bottles because I don't know if CO goes rancid or not and I keep it under the bathroom sink in high humidity.

I was seriously at my wits end with hair loss, now after using this for many months my hair is thicker simply by virtue of losing so much less. I can't comments much on regrowth yet, but will update this review if my results vary.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2012 10:18:00 AM More reviews by Yishabeila

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

It's probably the best thing I've found to combat hair frizz, and I've been waging war on frizz for many years now.

I put the oil straight on my hair, wet or dry. It's important to control the quantity. A few drops, spread in the palms, will do for my medium-length, thick wavy hair. More than that makes my hair crunchy. Less than that has not much of an effect.

Also, I've found that this doesn't mix well with a hair lotion I have (Motion Lotion, Kevin Murphy). My hair looks dull and dirty. Individually, both products work well.

A colleague started using it as a pre-shampoo treatment and she's quite pleased.

In all, a bit hard to manage (quantity is very tricky) but for the price, I can't complain.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 9:23:00 PM More reviews by AnonymousM

For a quick backround on myself, I have naturally light , Asian eyebrows. When I was about 12 years old I thought I should do my own eyebrows, the worst decision I've EVER made! Since then, my eyebrows have been ever so sparse and unattractive. Now in freshman year in highschool, I've gotten sick of looking at such sparse eyebrows. I googled everything and landed at castor oil, it's dirt cheap with little risk factor as this is a natural product. Basically, I bought this 2 weeks ago and have been applying it religiously at night with a spoolie and wiping the excess off with a Q-tip as I didn't want any unnecessary hair growth below or above where I wanted my eyebrows to come in. Well, it is said you need to wait 2 months to see results, but for me personally, I'm starting to see some real results! My "tail" of my left eyebrow, where overplucking had resulted in no hair growth for years, is beginning to grow back in a mere 2 weeks. But, the first week I started to use castor oil, I broke out in a couple small pimples over my left eyebrow. I can't say if it's the castor oil for sure because I was eating pretty unhealthy that week, but I'm just putting that out there. Also, I've been on an absolutely no pluck regimen for 2 whole months (except for the hairs I know for sure are not going to end up as part of my eyebrow, like on my eyelid). So, I'm not sure if that's why my eyebrows are coming back. If you notice closely, your eyebrows kind if grow in rows. My eyebrows had no more that say 5 hairs width, now I see more rows growing! Also, my eyebrows are getting noticeably darker! In 2 months I will be for sure updating everyone on this product and how it either worked or not and to what extent...

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2012 3:07:00 PM More reviews by TheAmeliix

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

CASTOR OIL. AMAZING STUFF.
Background on me: I've been naturally blessed with short, thin/sparse, Asian eyelashes. :P
Since I've started to apply castor oil for a month now, my lashes have grown noticebly longer and my eyebrows have grown darker. My mom was surprised when she noticed how dark my eyebrows had gotten that she immediately started to follow in my footsteps and started applying castor oil to her eyelashes as well at night.
AS A BONUS, I've noticed that this oil has been helping with my dark circles! During the night, the oil will run and cover them, and in the morning my normally super dark dark circles are gone! My mom noticed and told me. I went online and searched about castor oil being one of the benefits of under eye circles, and it does help to diminish them! I honestly didn't know this at first! I paid about $3 here in Canada for a 100 mL bottle, but it's been lasting me AND my mom for so long and it's friggin dirt cheap! =)
I've also tried using this to grow my hairline. Many claim that it works, and I'm sure it does, seeing new hair growth above my lashline, which were never there before. I will update on the hairline growth soon.
I don't need to wear mascara now! Before, mascara was a staple (HG Maybelline One by One Waterproof) in my everyday makeup, since my lashes were barely there. Now they are pretty long and noticible and I'm able to skip mascara. I believe that alot of the eyelash growth serums now on the market are a scam (not saying they all are) because once you stop buying that serum, your lashes may fall out. And honestly they are usually soooo expensive to keep up with, and castor oil is a guaranteed cheap safe alternative. I also plan to continue applying castor oil to them until they reach their longest peak. I want to thank all the ladies here on MUA for writing their brilliant reviews, which urged me to try castor oil to multi-purposes. I'm glad that my first review was written about this. TRY CASTOR OIL. JUST DO IT. YOU WON'T REGRET. =))

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/22/2012 1:25:00 PM More reviews by EmilyStyles

Seriously , i will not be using this again because if i do , i have to pluck my eyebrows almost everyday ! + Using it fr eyelashes though x Amazing

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2012 11:34:00 AM More reviews by snoopy68

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The jury is still out on whether or not this will make my eyelashes fuller/thicker, as I've only been using this for 1 week. I have not noticed any difference to my extremely short, thin, straight eyelashes. I'll edit the post later on . . . I've read so many positive reviews on how castor oil aids in growing longer and thicker eyelashes, so I'm really hoping this will work!
I have been using castor oil (Heritage Brand- hexane free) nightly on my neck, chest, knees, backs of hands, eyelashes, and the few small sun-spots on my face. No lightening as of yet with the sun-spots, but once again I've only been using this for a week. No fading of fine lines yet . . . Again, I've read the 'glowing' reviews on how castor oil fades sun-spots and diminishes fine lines. I've noticed that my upper chest and the backs of my hands are beginning to look a bit crepey and the tops of my knees are getting lines/saggy! Uggg! So, again I'm hoping that the castor oil will aid in diminishing these issues. We will see!
This does make my skin soft and supple, however.
I have found a great immediate use for this! I use a very small drop in my palm (put the castor oil in an empty L'Oreal glossing serum bottle) and run it very lightly over my dry curly/wavy hair to tame the frizz and it works better than any of the glossing serum that I have used to date!
Probably would not be good for fine hair and one should keep the product away from the roots. Somehow it makes my hair feel thicker, but eliminates the frizzies so the curl/wave is more defined.
**EDIT** I had to use the castor oil for a few months before I started noticing a difference in lash growth. And it appeared like my lashes just all of a sudden grew! They were definitely longer and a bit thicker. I could actually curl them and not use mascara, which is a 1st for me. But when I stopped using the castor oil, my lashes stopped growing immediately. I'm going to try it again. Especially since half my lashes on my right eye fell out from using Maybelline Illegal Fiber Lash mascara :-( !!! I did not notice any fading of the sun-spots on my face, nor a reduction to any lines on my face or body.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2012 6:39:00 PM More reviews by Mya3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using Castor Oil on my eyebrows for about 2 weeks now (I have skipped some days), I apply it on my eyebrows with a cotton bud just before I go to sleep. I regret not taking a before photo because I was not sure that this would really work therefore I didn't bother to take one! My eyebrows are now fuller than ever, I have had patchy brows since years which have now filled up with hair, I also had a patch where hair would never grow but I can see a few strands of dark hair on that area so I can honestly say that I am overwhelmed!!! I also use the oil mixed with coconut oil on my scalp and the immediate effects were very good as people asked me if I had just dyed my hair as my hair did not look its normal dull self! The only downside is that this oil does not soften my hair as other oils would therefore I would recommend mixing this oil with another oil for the softness!

I am going to start apply the oil with a mascara wand to my lashes too

The only downside is that this oil is very thick in consistency therefore when apply to eyelashes be very careful not to get it into your eyes!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No