Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

on 4/18/2008 11:24:00 PM

I have been using this for about 3 weeks now, thanks to MUA reviews. So far I have to say that I love it. I have combination, acne-prone skin and so far it has actually helped to clear up my skin. It also gives me a rosy, natural glow - my skin is looking better and better. I use this at night and Philosophy On A Clear Day in the morning since my skin tends to get oily during the day. I love this combination! I don't mind the smell of Purity at all, although I can see why people might dislike On A Clear Day - it has a very strong medicinal smell. But to me putting up with a funky smelling cleanser in the morning is totally worth it for the pretty skin I've always wanted.
UPDATE 7/11/08: My skin recently started breaking out like crazy (not b/c of this product), so I decided to go more natural. I stopped using On A Clear Day and now I only use Purity + one drop of tea tree oil morning and night as a cleanser. I moisturize at night with 2-3 drops of jojoba oil and one drop of tea tree oil, then spot treat with tea tree oil on a moist Q-tip. This is amazing!!! The tea tree oil and jojoba have made a vast improvement in my acne-prone, oily skin. I love Purity and it's even better with TTO!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

This is great for removing makeup, even on your eyes and it's pretty gentle. Good stuff.

on 4/17/2008 4:44:00 PM

Totally mediocre cleanser. Doesn't really foam alot, and does nothing special. I don't get it's cult following.....

on 4/16/2008 10:16:00 AM

I've used this, on and off (but more on) for the last 10 years. I keep coming back to it from other cleansers. I don't know what's in it, because, unlike other companies who tell you the exciting stuff that makes their product work, Philosophy insists on putting that pseudo-spiritual gobbledygook on their packages, and I'm not a cosmetic chemist, so I can't read the ingredient list. I do know that it cleans my skin well without making it tight or red, takes off makeup without stinging my eyes, and has a pleasant smell. Over the years, I've managed to break the caps on the smaller size bottles by dropping them. I currently decant from a 32 oz pump size into a (yes, broken) 2 oz travel size. I would pay more to get plain packaging with a cap that didn't break. (I know, I know -- put it in a plain bottle of my own. But I like labels.)

on 4/16/2008 2:43:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I don't know if it really deserves a 4 or not. I don't wear anything long lasting or hard to remove, so I don't know it's true cleansing power. I never saw any positive or negative effects to my skin either. The ingredient list is pretty good (it looks like an even mix of chemicals and plant extracts throughout the list) and I love the liquidity consistency. The smell isn't what I expected for something with a lot of extracts, but it didn't bother me anyways (most things are neutral to me and then I get used to them over time). Hopefully I can get it in the huge 32oz size - that will probably be the deciding factor if I get it again along with the consistency.

on 4/12/2008 5:22:00 AM

Got this in a small bottle together with the entire series of face produdcts as a gift. Purity is a really nice cleanser which gently cleanses your face and leaves no feeling of tightness. You feel fresh afterwards. I used up the entire bottle of it although I never bought it again mainly because they were not available where I live and they were other brands I could use that were readily available. I have moved several times since then. Now I have found another cleanser which works great for me. So one day when nothing works out I'd go back to this cleanser again. :)

Bought this on a spur of the moment -- at first, there was an overwhelming herbal scent, which i haven't decided if I like or not, but cleanses makeup off pretty decently. I just got this a few days ago, so will have to see how it works out.

on 4/9/2008 2:00:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I always, always, always come back to my purity. I have tried so many cleansers, like most of you out there, but this is the only one my skin loves! I have combo/dry skin and I use tretinoin gel, and I have been looking for a cleanser to clean but not strip my skin. This is the only one I have found that fits the bill in every respect. I took one lippie off because it's pricey imo for a cleanser and since I don't have a Sephora where I live I always have to order it online. Not so bad though considering you can get a 32oz, size from QVC for around $30.

on 4/7/2008 11:17:00 AM

I keep coming back to this cleanser no matter what I try. It gets all my makeup off, doesn't strip my skin, and just feels and smells so nice when I use it. I have somewhat oily skin that tends to get oilier with wierd dry patches if I use a "oily skin" cleanser and this seems to provide the right balance for me. It may seem kind of expensive but it lasts so much longer than other cleansers I've used so it's worth the purchase price to me.

on 4/5/2008 10:05:00 PM

I so wanted to like this cleaner. It does clean very well, and the fragrance free smell doesn't bother me at all, I kind of like it. Anyway, after just one use, little white heads started to appear within the hour, to make sure this cleanser indeed was the culprit, I tried it again the next evening, and same thing happened. So back to Sephora it went :(