December 18, 2014 | 1647 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2008 2:25:00 PM More reviews by laumar27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Did I miss something? This stuff is shockingly over-priced and does not deserve the rave reviews it has received. It is a very basic no lather cleanser with a suspicious ingredient list and really funky smell. This cleanser contains 10 different oils in it's ingredient list!! In my opinion that is WAY TOO MUCH oil for anyone's skin, regardless of those oils so-called benefits. I received a sample of this and even though I was hesitant to use it, I went ahead and tried it. Less than one minute after rinsing my entire face was burning and I felt a strange numbing sensation. There is obviously something in here that my skin does not like. I am once again mystified as to why this is a cult favorite.

ingredients:
water, disodium lauroamphodiacetate, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, coco-glucoside, peg-120 methyl glucose dioleate, aniba rosaeodora (rosewood) wood oil, geranium maculatum oil, guaiacum officinale, cymbopogon martini oil, rosa damascena extract, amyris balsamifera bark oil, santalum album (sandalwood) oil, salvia officinalis (sage) oil, cinnamomum cassia leaf oil, anthemis nobilis flower oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) seed oil, piper nigrum (black pepper) seed extract, sodium trideceth sulfate, hexylene glycol, cocos nucifera (coconut) alcohol, polysorbate 20, glycerin, carbomer, triethanolamine, methylparaben, propylparaben, imidazolidinyl urea, fd&c yellow no.5

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2008 6:54:00 AM More reviews by narquois

I love this! It takes my make-up off so easily without rubbing so hard. I thought it was soothing. Even though i don't like scent in skincare, i thought the subtle scent in this was very nice. Plus for a normal bottle was just $10! It lasted for months! I will definitely re-purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2008 10:50:00 PM More reviews by PositivelyRadiant

I've been using this cleanser for years and it's the only cleanser that I've used that can remove non-waterproof eye makeup without stinging the eyes. It won't dry out my skin and it's reasonably priced. I'll keep using this cleanser until Philosophy decides to come out with something better...

Helpful hint: QVC sells the 32oz size for about $40 (plus $6 s&h). This is a bargain deal considering the 16oz size typically sells for $32. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2008 3:45:00 PM More reviews by swankyjo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I tried this after my cleanser was discontinued and my mother in law recommended it. I love it! I love that it doesn't foam. It takes all my makeup off with out drying out my skin. It's very gentle to my combo skin. The smell isn't nearly as bad as the Hope in a Jar. I can handle the smell of Purity no problem. Plus it doesn't seem to linger once you wash it off. My only complaint is I wish the 8oz size came in a pump. I think you can get a 16oz in a pump though. The price doesn't bother me to much since this will last awhile.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2008 7:11:00 PM More reviews by impeh

This stuff is wonderful. I have extremely fair, extremely sensitive skin (even Cetaphil gives me hives), and this is quite literally the first cleanser I've ever been able to use that doesn't irritate my skin.

I got this as part of the Makeup Optional kit, and while I'm usually skeptical of packaging claims (wear less makeup! smoother and brighter skin!), I'm sitting at my desk quite happily with no foundation or concealer for the first time in ages. Can't say enough good things about this line.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2008 8:31:00 PM More reviews by pupcakes

I have only been using this for about 2 weeks and I love it so far! Eventhough it says to keep away from eyes, it is great for removing eye makeup while washing your face. I use it morning and night and it is not at all drying to my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2008 9:04:00 PM More reviews by alissatron

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this cleanser! It leaves my skin soft and allows me to remove my eye-make-up effortlessly. I know some people aren't crazy about the smell, but I find it to be fresh and natural. It's gentle enough to use in the am and the pm and has done wonders for my skin ever since I started using it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2008 5:51:00 PM More reviews by gurluwant2love24

This is the best cleanser & eye makeup remover in one!! I use this everynight and while removing my eye makeup, it doesnt sting my eyes. It also leaves my skin feeling smooth and soft. I would recommend this to ANYONE whether they wear makeup or not.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2008 1:54:00 PM More reviews by shyviolet

Why oh why did I stray from my routine that was working for me? Damn the lure of samples!

I actually used to use Philosophy's Hope in a Jar (before I discovered what products really worked for my skin). I had a few samples of this cleanser along with the rest of my Hope in a Jar, so I decided to try that regime for awhile.

The first day my skin looked fantastic. Felt clean, rosy glow, etc. Within a few days, I had both dry patches and milia forming, and my skin's texture just did not look good.

My theory: The cleanser stripped my skin too much, and the Hope in a Jar clogs my pores more than it moisturizes.

Just for reference, I have skin that does not get zits, but major problems with milia, blackheads and enlarged pores. What works for me :
Cetaphil cleanser
Paula's Choice 2% BHA at night
Jojoba oil as moisturizer

I will never stray from that regime again. I only gave it a 3 because this it not a horrible product - it could be right for some people's skin - just not mine! continued >>

rated 2 of 5 on 1/29/2008 12:38:00 AM More reviews by deva518

Hate this product. I have really good skin on average- clear, small pores and can usually kill whatever with a spot treatment. I swear this stuff made my pores huge on my forehead and chin- plus a crazy amount of new blackheads popped up! I tried the cleaners for almost two months hoping that my skin was just purging. Nope, my skin just hates it.

No matter how long I washed my face for- I could never get my make-up off at all. I would see massive amounts on my towel when I dried off.

Oh and the cap broke within two weeks.. :P

The only plus was that it is rather gentle, but I still had some problems with irritation due to that wanky smell.