April 19, 2014 | 886 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - Shadow Insurance, Anti-Crease Eye Shadow Primer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2008 4:15:00 AM More reviews by ayngemac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is almost as fantastic as my beloved UDPP, but not quite. I'll admit that I prefer this packaging: it's more economical, that's for sure. But this is less forgiving. Once it's on, it dries quickly, and if you make a mistake with your shadow, you've got to start all over again. But it works. I would definitely buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2008 11:14:00 PM More reviews by jennhsieh

This primer is amazing. I have monolid Asian eyes, which all you Asian gals know smudge eyeliner like nobody's business. This primer kept my black eyeliner and eyeshadow on for hours and hours, even in the highest humidity. The thing you have to remember is to let it dry before you apply anything on top of it. I do wish the applicator was a little more "technologically advanced", but whatever. Great product!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/3/2008 7:03:00 AM More reviews by BeaverCleaverReturns

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was excited to try this but it ended up being a letdown for me. Yes, this is creamier than Urban Decay but it also separated a bit and was oily. It reminded me quite a bit of Lumene's eye primer both in texture and performance. I have normal skin that sometimes can get the oilies or dry patches due to weather and this product didn't make my shadows last any longer than wearing them alone. I know a lot of people complain about UDPP making shadows less blendable, but I found that it happened when I used too much of it. Using a tiny bit smoothed on w/ a taklon brush, UDPP works great. However, if you have trouble with it, I highly recommend Bare Escentual's Prime Time Eye. BE works great! It will allow ou to blend shadow better than UDPP. UDPP does edge out BE when it comes to making shadow last, but you still will make it through 6-8 hours with either one.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2008 6:57:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I haven't tried Urban Decay's Magic Potion, so I cannot comment. But I do use Eyeshadow Insurance and I love it. It keeps my eyeshadow (powder or cream) right where it should be all day. It keeps even my eyeliner in place, even under my eyelashes. Its a great product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2008 2:00:00 PM More reviews by boqueron

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

General description of this product:
This is an eyeshadow primer in a blue tube. It retails for $17 for 0.35 oz, so it's cost is $48.57 per ounce. The ingredients include:
Isododecane,Talc, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Glyceryl Triethylhexanoate, Polyethylene, Trihydroxystearin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Isopropyl Lanolate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Propylene Carbonate, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Tocopherol. (+/-): Mica, Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499). It is a squeeze tube.

By contrast, Urban Decay primer potion costs $16 for a 0.34 oz genie bottle, at a total cost of $47.06, but this is on the assumption that you could actually *reach* all the product in an UDPP bottle, which you can't do without removing the stopper, and finally performing a near-surgical procedure to slice it in two. I personally find it ridiculous to have to saw a product in two to get all of it out. I am a girl who likes makeup, not a surgeon, not a magician. By contrast, the ingredients in primer potion are listed as:
Ingredients:
Isododecane, Talc, Cyclopentasiloxane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trihydroxystearin, Triethylhexanoin, Isopropyl Lanolate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Propylene Carbonate, Phenoxyethanol, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Methicone, Isobutylparaben

May Contain:
Mica, CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499 (Iron Oxides), CI 77163 (Bismuth Oxychloride)
As you can see, many ingredients in these two products are the same. That said, there are definite differences in these products.

Other primers I have tried:
I also have tried and did not like the following eye primers- Mary Kay, Paula Dorf, Revlon, the new SH natural one, Pure Luxe, and one from Loreal called decrease, IIRC. I have also tried a European one in a tiny jar (seems like it was called artec or similar) that I did like. For a long time, UDPP remained my HG primer, but I did have complaints. Although I've never had e/s smudge or disappear with that primer, I didn't like the "draggy" feel it created when I applied shadow on top of it. I preferred the smoother feel of MAC paintpots, but wished I had something without color.

Description of my skin:
I am a PPP with really pale (NC10-15) skin. My skin is dry, 35-year old skin.

Application and results:
I've always disliked UDPP's "grabbiness" and how hard it is to blend with this primer, but it never lets me down in terms of how long e/s lasts when using it. I think this is because my skin is already dry to start with. UDPP applies with a spongy doe foot applicator, which I don't like, because I always wonder if I'm asking for an eye infection by repeatedly dipping a brush on my eyelid, then back into the genie bottle. Kind of gross, really. It's never happened, but still.....

With Shadow Insurance, I much prefer the application. I use a tiny amount, about the size of a pin head (the ones with the colorful tops) and it's perfect. I wait a minute, then apply shadows. I can easily blend them, but once I am done, it's set!!! No smudging whatsoever. The first few times I used it, I used way too much, and it didn't work as well, so be careful to avoid my mistakes, lol. Once, I left my eyemakeup on overnight just to see what would happen (I know, gross). It lasted overnight!!

Conclusions: This is my new HG. I will use up the remainder of my UDPP, but will not repurchase. That said, I do not think this would be a good option for someone with very oily lids or with severe creasing problems. But if you have dry or normal to dry skin, you may find that this really meets your needs better!

continued >>

23 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2008 2:14:00 PM More reviews by Eva16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Let me start off by saying that I have oily lids, so shadows usually crease on me or fade by the time I've stepped out the front door. I'd tried UDPP & I thought it was the most crappest thing ever - stupid bottle, didn't allow me to blend my shadows easily over it, formula irritated my eyes & faded my shadow colour to some extent. Then along came Shadow Insurance!

Firstly, the bottle is a lot more sanitary than UDPP's. I don't know who designed that stupid genie bottle, but I shouldn't have to resort to cutting open one of my makeup products that I spent nearly 10 on. Shadow Insurance comes in a bright blue tube (very pretty) & the texture of it is creamy. You only need a very small amount on your lids. Make sure you let it dry for a few seconds too.

It allows me to blend my shadows like a dream. No more harsh lines like with the UDPP...& it felt a lot more moisturising on my lids too, so no irritation. Now for the most important part: how long did my shadows last for? I went to visit my grandmother in Nigeria (the hottest, most humid place on earth, I swear) & my shadows lasted the whole day, no exaggeration. There was NO creasing whatsoever. Keep in mind that I have oily lids & the environment I was in was hot & humid all throughout the day and all throughout the night, about 38 degrees celcius (100.4 fahrenheit).

Also, very little colour fade! It was only after about 8 hours that I noticed some slight fading on my lids, and even then, it wasn't noticeable.

I'd definately repurchase this. UDPP is overrated. Shadow Insurance is the way to go from now on! continued >>

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/1/2008 10:49:00 AM More reviews by boss_lady

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It seems as though the makeup-wearing population is torn between this product and Urban Decay's Primer Potion. I decided I'd have to try it myself to see if it would be just as good as UDPP, which I've been using for about a year. Packaging quality/usefulness aside, yes, Too Faced lets you blend your shadows a little better. If you had initially tried a primer because your eyeshadows crease/fade/melt within a few hours due to oily skin conditions (like me), Too Faced will not be the miracle you're looking for, unfortunately. I have heavily creased eyelids, and within four hours of application using Too Faced and a high-quality eyeshadow, all of it had migrated into the creases on my eyelids. Urban Decay's Primer Potion still makes my eyeshadow stay on for a nine hour work day. My conclusions about Too Faced Shadow Insurance are:

a) It does help you eyeshadows blend easier
b) It is worth looking into if you have normal to dry skin
c) If your eyelids crease or you have oily skin, don't bother

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2008 1:22:00 AM More reviews by chirakat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

People seem to compare TFSI to UDPP so I will too. Here it is.
TFSI:
-Creamier texture. Feels nice to apply.
-Shadows glide on more easily. Better shadows blendability.
-Your eye lid must be really clean or TFSI won't work so well. It can crease a little.
-Better, more practical packaging.

UDPP:
-Feels dry when applied.
-Zero blendability. Shadows can go on uneven if not careful.
-Never ever creases no matter what.
-It will make a dry white stain on lashes if applied too close. This is not easy to remove but can be covered with mascara.
-Ridiculous packaging. There's almost 25% of the product left in the tube though you think it's empty.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/21/2008 4:19:00 PM More reviews by ToxicBailey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had been using UDPP for awhile and I was happy with it, but I definitely wasn't happy with its inconvenient packaging. I knew it was time for a change. I thought that this would be pretty much the same as UDPP, but in a more convenient package. So I picked it up at Sephora, expecting it to be as good as my coveted UDPP.

But sadly, it wasn't. There were MANY differences.

As I was applying the shadow insurance, I noticed it's slightly creamier texture- a texture that seemed somewhat oily as well. It blended on the eye well, and seemed to melt into my skin.

UDPP would have my eyeshadow truly last ALL DAY on me- from when I applied it at 7 AM all the way to when I wiped off my makeup at 11 PM. But with TF shadow insurance, I find that after only about 5 hours, oil is seeping through onto my eyeshadow, and that it already had begun to fade. At the very end of the day, my eyeshadow is mostly faded.

I can't believe I thought this would be as good as UDPP, but I was wrong. UDPP puts shadow insurance to shame. Now, my shadow insurance is up for swaps.

UPDATE: I previously rated this three out of five. Now, I'm downgrading it to two out of five. This stuff is a JOKE. With UDPP, I used to be able to take a 15-minute nap halfway through the day and still have my eye makeup looking fresh. But today I took a nap and when I woke up, my eyeshadow was COMPLETELY gone, the eyeliner was really smudged. I hate this stuff.

SECOND UPDATE: I decided to give this one last chance. And when I squeezed the tube, a whole bunch of gross clear liquid came out- obviously this stuff SEPERATED on me. And it looked disgusting!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2008 6:17:00 PM More reviews by ziebam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my new HG eyeshadow primer. I was on my third tube of UDPP when this came out. I tried them side by side and the TooFaced wins out. Both really held the shadows on but the UDPP had a little creasing to it. Barely, but there. So the TF wins! This stuff kept my shadow on all day with no creasing. I also notice the UDPP makes my lids a little crepey while the TF does not. And the TF packaging is so much better than the UDPP bottle. Love this stuff. Retails for $17. HG!!!!!!!!!!!!!