July 31, 2014 | 1710 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - Shadow Insurance, Anti-Crease Eye Shadow Primer

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2008 11:03:00 PM More reviews by msdi2u

Got a good-sized sample of this from Sephora the other day... but I don't even know why I bothered to try it. (This has the same exact ingredients as Urban Decay Primer Potion, and I can't use that stuff, either.) Not that either are not good eyeshadow primers... but if you have sensitive skin- like I do- or are sensitive to lanolin, I advise you to avoid this stuff like the plague. This contains isopropyl lanolate, and within minutes of application... my eyelids began to sting, burn, and then tear. I hoped the reaction might pass... so, like a dope... I continued applying my eye makeup until the watering of my eyes became intolerable. I then wound up using a makeup remover wipe and had to remove everything I just applied. (Also had to soak my eyelids for a few minutes with a cold wash cloth.) Not a pleasant experience... let me tell you.

So, lucky are the gals who are NOT sensitive to lanolin, becuz I know this is a GREAT eyeshadow primer... as long as you're not allergic. I did have to deduct lippies, though, for the bad choice of ingredients by Too-Faced. (Copy Cats!) continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2008 7:12:00 PM More reviews by leo88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

SHADOW INSURANCE IS A GREAT EYESHADOW PRIMER!!! IT NOT ONLY MAKE YOUR EYESHADOW LAST BUT IT CAN ENHANCE THE DULLEST SHADOW!! ALSO IF MIX WITH YOUR FAV SHADOW IT CAN TURN IT INTO A CREAM SHADOW!! DONT BE SCARED OF CREAMS BC PRIMER DO EXIST!!! OH AND FYI: I CANT PICK BETWEEN URBAN DECAY PRIMER POTION AND SHADOW INSURANCE THEIR BOTH GREAT PRODUCTS..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2008 1:21:00 AM More reviews by pink1223

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Sorry, I haven't tried the UDPP, so this isn't any real comparison. However, I read the reviews on both when I was looking for a new eye primer (mac paints were failing me, I thought there must be something better), and I decided to purchase this over UDPP because basically the packaging alone. The squeeze tube is nice. And I read it blends shadows better and that is always a plus, I thought. Anyway, this product definitely does the job for me, I love it! I still have my eyeshadow on just as great as it was twelve hours ago when I first put applied! I'm so happy. It is definitely a step up from what I used to use. My eyelids to get oily over time for sure, but I don't think they are super oily, so this products did the job for me just fine. It did make my shadow more vibrant looking, it looked freshly applied for hours after. I am super pleased and will definitely purchase again, but I'm pretty sure it will last me a while!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2008 9:19:00 PM More reviews by Xiriah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've tried UDPP and this and I think I prefer UDPP. My eyelids tend to get really oily during the day around summertime and I feel that Too Faced's Shadow Insurance doesn't do that good a job of making my eyeshadow last. I'm not sure if I applied my eyeshadow with too light of a hand that day or if it was the different weather conditions when I compared the two, but I just felt that this didn't do as well of a job as UDPP when it came to making my eyeshadow last. I do appreciate the convenient tube the product is contained in and it does make eyeshadow last better than not using any primer at all on your eyelids, but I don't like the consistency that much. It kind of feels...oily. :/ (I'm guessing that it could be dimethicone in the formula.) After applied, it has a rather satin-y feeling on the eyelid, but it just doesn't work that well for me. I do feel like giving it another chance though. One thing that I feel is true when comparing this to UDPP is I think it is easier to blend eyeshadows using TFSI.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2008 7:38:00 PM More reviews by ginasuicide

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this as a deluxe sample.. honestly, I cant really tell the difference between this and UDPP. I will use them both on some days (one on each eye) and they both go on the same way, absorb same, make shadows stay the same. The only difference is the packaging, the squeeze tube is better . Ive not seen the full size of the TF one, but one thing with UDPP is even after sawing the tube in half to dig the rest out, you still get quite a bit for the $16 you pay.

looks like TF is .35 tube
UDPP is .34

so I would say they are pretty even. once I finish my current jar of UD, if they havent put theirs into a tube by then (which is in the works from what Ive read) , I'll probably repurchase this one instead.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2008 2:02:00 AM More reviews by desertmom4

Not bad for an e/s primer. I have only used MAC paints and MAC PP's, but the PP's always creased on me whereas the paints ( tube) didn't. Out of boredom, I wanted to try a diff e/s primer, and TFSI was the one I decided to try. I only need a small dot of this stuff as it comes out of a squeeze tube ( hygenic). I use my finger and apply it over my entire lid up to brow bone. I let it set for 30 seconds ( read this is what your supposed to do by the maker, on the TF website) and then apply my e/s. It is essentially colorless, which I like as that way I know whichever e/s color I use the color won't be altered, whereas if I used a colored e/s primer sometimes the actual color will change a bit. I found my e/s easy to blend, and colors seemed true to their shade. My e/s did wear all day ( good 8 hours), and did not crease but by the end of the day it didn't look as fresh and vibrant as it did when I 1st applied it (I don't have oily lids for referrence). Overall, not a bad e/s primer, I do like it and will repurchase when/if I run out. It cost about $17, which isn't too bad considering it does what it claims...still love my MAC paints though ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2008 12:41:00 AM More reviews by FastKitty99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Thank you, fellow MUA reviewers! I had never heard of this product until I read the reviews on this board. I thought UDPP was a great product, but the ridiculous "genie bottle" is about the worst packaging I can possibly imagine, and I refuse to "saw" open the bottle to get at least 50% of the product out!

Thank goodness the folks at Too Faced had the good sense to come up with a more sanitary, efficient way to dispense their product. This primer is just as effective as UDPP, but has superior packaging. Ladies, if you don't want to mess around with the absurd UDPP packaging any longer, give this a try, I think you will be impressed - this is my favorite eye shadow primer - comparable to UDPP quality, but MUCH better packaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2008 11:34:00 PM More reviews by xangelicx9

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The staying power is so good it scares me a little. Like all the other TFSI lovers, a little goes a long way. Its smooth and creamy and the tube is really pretty. I had the UBPP but it packaging was so weird and funky. TFSI > UDPP anday. <3.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2008 11:15:00 PM More reviews by TakenByHim

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great alternative for people who do not like Urban Decay Primer Potion. As you can tell from the pictures, the packaging is more efficient and IMO, it is a lot better for people with less oily lids. Because my lids aren't oily like most people's, Urban Decay is very drying for me. It makes blending very difficult and sometimes impossible so I end up with harsh lines, just bad looking eye makeup. On the other hand, Shadow insurance is very creamy and my skin just absorbs it. A very tiny amount goes a very long way. I use less than a rice grain size per eye. It enhances the color of my shadows without drastically changing it too much. The best thing about this is that it's so much easier to blend with it because it's not so drying. I don't experience any creasing nor fading hours later! I'm so glad I gave this product a try. I highly recommend it for people with drier skin. It's a bit pricey but it's worth it.

Edit: 02/02- I have to take off two lippies. Over the past few weeks, it's been separating. If you don't shake and slap this package around before using, you'll get a bunch of clear oily liquid when you squeeze out product. I also notice that my eyeshadow is not as longlasting as it used to be unless I use a large amount but when I use a large amount, like UDPP it seems harder to blend eyeshadow. It seems to work better if not used daily. I still think it's better than UDPP but I would not rebuy this. I am looking into trying something new.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2008 10:38:00 PM More reviews by lucky7wedding

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff. I mean, I love it. I totally agree with previous poster...Very little goes a long way. Tube lends itself to sanitary dispensing with less wasted product. My eyelids are usually fairly oily, and by the end of the day, I generally have eye shadow left in the creases only...But not any more! My eye shadow goes on smoother, and looks perfect all day long. I do not know how I have gone so long without this stuff. Will definitely repurchase. And that's saying a lot for me! :) It's a staple.