Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

on 4/26/2008 2:30:00 PM

I LOATHE this cleanser! I have dry skin, but THIS made it even worse. It worked alright for the first 1-2 days, but after that, it practically peeled my skin off. It made it so dry that my face actually HURT. I wouldn't recommend this for dry skin at all.

on 4/26/2008 1:12:00 AM

Purity made simple? Yeah, right...with a list of 28 ingredients. Um, I don't think so. Even if most of them are natural, The best "pure" cleansers I've used have four ingredients, so I find this a little misleading. The essential oils do add a pleasant fragrance, but I prefer my cleansers to be less liquidy and suds up a little more upon application. However, I give it points for not stripping my skin.
I got this as a gift, but I doubt I'd buy it as long as Clinique keeps making their Liquid Facial Soap Mild.

on 4/24/2008 2:13:00 AM

I've stopped using cleansers for the most part and only use water & a cloth unless I've worn makeup. On "makeup" days I use Purity; it takes off pretty much everything and when I swipe with ACV (or previous toners) there isn't a lot coming off on the pad.

I don't really notice the scent much anymore but I've been using it for a few years.

What I like: the consistency: it's a little watery, slippery and just glides around on your skin no tugging/rubbing needed. This is also a low/no foam cleanser. I can use it on my eyes with no problems, it takes off all of my shadows(even benefit ccs's) even if I use a primer.

If you wear waterproof mascaras, I recommend using an eye makeup remover, for regular mascara this is great.

Philosophy is a little spendy but I haven't found any cleanser that works as well or better (for me) for less.

*** 3/23/10...still haven't found a cleanser I like better but I do use a Clarisonic 2-3 times a week now.

***6/2011...Still loving the Purity...If I've worn heavy makeup or longwear makeup, I will mix a bit of olive oil with the purity in my hand before applying to my face; this seems to take off what might be left behind. After doing this & going over with ACV on a cotton pad, I almost never find anything, plus it adds an extra kick of moisture since purity can be drying.

on 4/23/2008 3:18:00 AM

I used this product for a LONG time. I liked the way it cleaned my skin but it really made my eyes sting. I also think it is expensive. I enjoy the smell of it, but it is strong for a face wash and my husband would never use it because of the fragrance. I have switched to Cetaphil and couldn't be happier!!!

on 4/21/2008 2:46:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

i LOVE this cleanser. of all the cleansers that i have used in the past this one is the only thing that ever worked for me. i have very dry skin and some cleansers eventhough it says good for dry skin can still be drying but not this cleanser by philosphy imo. i took one lippie off because of the price, i think its a bit too pricey for the size.

You know, for a product with such elegant packaging - it sure is a let down. I purchased this stuff believing that it would be just as good as religious skin care junkies claimed it was.

It didn't help my skin...whatsoever.

What's really funny is that on the back of the bottle it states:

-Fragrance-Free Formula
-Contains a proprietary blend of extracts for a unique, fresh scent.

That contradiction right there speaks for itself.

-Lorelai Chaos Brown-

on 4/18/2008 11:24:00 PM

I have been using this for about 3 weeks now, thanks to MUA reviews. So far I have to say that I love it. I have combination, acne-prone skin and so far it has actually helped to clear up my skin. It also gives me a rosy, natural glow - my skin is looking better and better. I use this at night and Philosophy On A Clear Day in the morning since my skin tends to get oily during the day. I love this combination! I don't mind the smell of Purity at all, although I can see why people might dislike On A Clear Day - it has a very strong medicinal smell. But to me putting up with a funky smelling cleanser in the morning is totally worth it for the pretty skin I've always wanted.
UPDATE 7/11/08: My skin recently started breaking out like crazy (not b/c of this product), so I decided to go more natural. I stopped using On A Clear Day and now I only use Purity + one drop of tea tree oil morning and night as a cleanser. I moisturize at night with 2-3 drops of jojoba oil and one drop of tea tree oil, then spot treat with tea tree oil on a moist Q-tip. This is amazing!!! The tea tree oil and jojoba have made a vast improvement in my acne-prone, oily skin. I love Purity and it's even better with TTO!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

This is great for removing makeup, even on your eyes and it's pretty gentle. Good stuff.

on 4/17/2008 4:44:00 PM

Totally mediocre cleanser. Doesn't really foam alot, and does nothing special. I don't get it's cult following.....

on 4/16/2008 10:16:00 AM

I've used this, on and off (but more on) for the last 10 years. I keep coming back to it from other cleansers. I don't know what's in it, because, unlike other companies who tell you the exciting stuff that makes their product work, Philosophy insists on putting that pseudo-spiritual gobbledygook on their packages, and I'm not a cosmetic chemist, so I can't read the ingredient list. I do know that it cleans my skin well without making it tight or red, takes off makeup without stinging my eyes, and has a pleasant smell. Over the years, I've managed to break the caps on the smaller size bottles by dropping them. I currently decant from a 32 oz pump size into a (yes, broken) 2 oz travel size. I would pay more to get plain packaging with a cap that didn't break. (I know, I know -- put it in a plain bottle of my own. But I like labels.)