December 19, 2014 | 877 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 3 of 5 on 10/14/2008 3:47:00 PM More reviews by rinsrevenge

Colour match is good and it doesn't streak or cake, even on my oily t-zone. But the foundation feels pretty heavy and if you apply too much, you end up looking overly made-up.

I don't particularly dislike this product, but neither am I head-over-heels in love with it. It's expensive (it's EL after all), but I don't think the price justifies what this foundation is all about. It's not a miracle worker, it feels basic not luxurious, and I do think that you can get more cost-effective foundations that do the job without burning a hole in your pocket.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2008 11:23:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

I am a first time buyer, I have seen it mentioned in Allure magazine for years and now I bought one. I have a formal event coming up and need something that will hold up through ballroom dancing and the entire night. I think this is it, I tested it in the store and was happy. I am a match for the shade Fresco as well. It's a great skintone match... and like they say if Estee Lauder doesn't have your shade then it's next to impossible to find. Update: make sure you moisturize well and exfoliate skin once a week, otherwise this cakes up in spots.

SECOND UPDATE: Too dry for me in the Fall or Winter. It also darkens over a little time, which none of my other foundations do. Oxidization is not cool, and it also can be patchy coverage. Yes, it lasts forever, but I think it's basically the old version of Revlon Colorstay. Only far more expensive. This was probably made for oily skin that needs more staying power, and I guarantee with oil already on skin it glides easier. I'll use it up and go back to it in warmer weather. I do feel it's a little heavy...

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2008 10:36:00 PM More reviews by mrsmacdonald

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have super oily acne prone skin and started using this when I moved to a more humid climate because other foundations would run and get into my contact and make it to where I couldn't see. The staying power of this foundation is good for me. I also found out that if you don't use a makeup remover, it'll make you break out. I also have very fair skin that I use the lightest one because one up from that is too dark. I'm going to try the double wear light and see if I like it any better than the original double wear. I don't like the fact that it's a glass bottle and there is still a lot of product left in it that you can't get to. I wish they would package the product better. The reason I repurchase this product is because it doesn't run and get into my eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2008 4:35:00 PM More reviews by whiterabbit23

I've been using this foundation for about 2 years now (although at the moment, I'm using MAC full coverage).
I have NEVER found a foundation with as much staying power as Double Wear.
Yes, it's thick. So thick that getting it to come out of the bottle is quite an annoying task at times. Once you learn how to apply it, it goes on beautifully and will stay that way all day. You absolutely cannot apply multiple coats of this once one coat has already dried. If you do, you will end up with cakey splotchy makeup. It is best applied in small amounts and "patted" onto the face with a sponge rather than brushed on.

One complaint I do have, however (and this it more about EL in general than it is about Double Wear) is that I find the shade system complicated. When I have absolutely no tan at all (ie. the dead of winter) the lightest shade works for me, no question about it. But finding a shade that matches my tanned skin is a huge challenge. I never feel that the match is exact. It's either too light or too orange.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2008 10:16:00 AM More reviews by spyglassweb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It took me a while to get used to this product. I stuck with it because the color I chose is a perfect match for my skin. I think getting an exact match is key to any foundation choice.

I have uneven skin tone. My skin does not look good w/o makeup. This product is definitely for women like me who have a bit to hide.

If you put it on too heavy, it makes your skin look dull and mask like - even older. The key is a light touch, it does spread easily. Start with a few drops and spread out thin, Even a thin layer covers well.

It is worth trying if you need a bit of coverage. It lasts throughout the day. My skin looks less oily, as oil does not break through the makeup. I have acne-prone skin and it has not caused breakouts. I was concerned that it would b/c of the reviews describing it as hard to remove.

I am still looking for perfect makeup (and may not find it). I feel this is a very good choice though and am happy with the results.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2008 1:35:00 AM More reviews by Kimber7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have purchased this product for many years now. I occationally will take a break and use Clinique's work out makeup but I always come back to Double Wear. I just can't say enough about this product. I will say that it does take some getting used to. It's a bit hard in the beginning to get used to the texture and the "technique" it takes to apply it, but stick with it! You will be happy you did, it really is an amazing product. I have not found anything comparable. I find that if you use Smashbox Primer under your eyes, then the Double Wear does not settle in the fine lines, so that's a must for me in application.
Great product!!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2008 10:09:00 PM More reviews by ninanoodle

My skin is ok but I have some dark spots and uneven skin tone so I need something with decent coverage.

I also have a v oily T-zone so needed something that wouldn't slide off my face in the Hong Kong heat.

The saleslady matched me to Sand and I took home a sample to try.

By the way, I wish a few more brands would do this. How are you supposed to choose a foundation based on smearing some ontop of your existing makeup under artificial light?

So the sample has lasted me over 3 weeks and there is still some left. You don't need much to get good coverage. It does last pretty well but may suit me better in the winter as my T-zone shines through midday. For someone with normal or dry skin it would probably be fine.

The colour options are excellent with warm/cold/neutral shades in 5 depths.

The price is fairly reasonable I think for a premium brand.

I've just been to get a sample of the DW Light to see if it would suit me better in the heat. Will report on it later!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2008 6:37:00 PM More reviews by shanidy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I hate to say that this product didn't work for me. I was so excited when I read the reviews...but I didn't have the same success...

My skin story: I'm very pale (lighter than the scale in most lines), very sensitive, and very picky :) My skin is dry on the cheeks and slight oily on my nose. My chin and my forehead are pretty normal!

The color match of this was great for me. I chose shell for my pale/cool skin. The initial application was impressive. I had full coverage with a great matte finish. It is a tad thicker than I normally use, but I was prepared for that. I left the house feeling good about my choice. Then I took a morning break...I was appalled at my face! the pores from my nose were overproducing oil like crazy. I had dark oily pores on my nose, while the rest of my face looked flawless. I blotted over 10 times that day...to no avail. I was brave and tried the foundation 3 times more with different primers (BE prime time, MAC prep and prime 50 and shiseido 55 lotion) and had no success. I'm still on the lookout for a great matte foundation...

rated 3 of 5 on 9/24/2008 12:27:00 PM More reviews by tthamkru

So, I tried this product in Shell Beige. At first, when I tried it on at the counter at Macy's I thought it was definitely a perfect match in shade. I think this foundation is great if you like thick coverage. It does leave that dewy and fresh look to your face -- like at night time and indoors. But once you step outside, especially during the day time, it is pretty noticeable that you're wearing foundation -- and I even put very little on my face and blended it well. Overall, it didn't feel like I had it on my face and I did love it as a "night time" or out on the town foundation. However, with this foundation, you could visibly see my pores. And, that's another thing I didn't like. At least with a loose powder foundation I looked more natural though a little more sheer coverage than a liquid foundation. As a person with dry, acne prone and sensitive skin, this foundation wasn't too bad. But like I said, it's good to use at night when you're going out.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2008 10:07:00 AM More reviews by ArmyBrat

I am nothing less than 100% in LOVE with this foundation and it has been my HG foundation for 7 years. The FRESCO shade is an exact match for my skintone, and the coverage is great. After applying this foundation, my face is FLAWLESS for HOURS....until whenever I wash it off. My skin is a tad oily, but not so oily that I need to apply powder over my foundation. Just this makeup is all I need and my complexion appears airbrushed. I may try other foundations when they come out, but I keep coming back to this little miracle in a bottle.
***There is one little issue about this makeup, you have to blend really quickly when you apply it. Since it is a long wearing foundation it tends to dry fast. Sometimes when we apply liquid formulas, we "dot" it all over our face in different sections first and go back and blend it. I would not recommend that method when applying this foundation. For best results, I advise putting it on with a foundation brush. If you "just have to" use your fingers for application,It's best to take it straight from the bottle, then apply and blend to a certain section of your face, then when you're done with that area and ready to move on to another section, take it straight from the bottle again.
This foundation is made for all skin types, and it comes in TONS of shades. I am a NW25 and while FRESCO is an exact match, I can also wear PEBBLE.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No