March 1, 2015 | 1313 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2008 1:08:00 AM More reviews by feebeewhiskers

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Need full coverage that is going to last all day? Run to Dillard's and pick some of this up!!
Great, smooth results that really cover red and imperfections well!
As a server I really needed something that was going to last all night, some times all day- and since I usually prep it on the back of my hand, I can tell that this stuff works! At the end of my shift the spot on my hand will always still be there fresh as ever!! (if i forget to remove it before my shift that is)

A little really does go such a long way too!! My last bottle I bought a year ago and I still have half a bottle left!

I guess a pit fall for some is that special attention really does need to be given when applying! My color "Linen" matches me perfectly so even though I think I'm blended well sometimes, I won't see the thick line by my mouth or around my hair line until I hit the sunlight and wa-pah! Once dried, this stuff is no joke! It won't budge! Trying to blend it out with your fingers while on the go won't work!
Usually after applying with a brush, I will then simply run a microfiber MU sponge over the finished result to smooth and it prevents this from occurring! I also just read someone uses a kabuki to buff into the skin which sounds like a good idea!

Great value! Future buyers won't be disappointed!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2008 4:44:00 PM More reviews by Caramellane

First off, I am not a big fan of liquid foundation. I usually find liquid foundations to be incredibly unnatural looking and most liquids cause my face to look greasy within an hour or two. Double wear lasts about 5 hours on me without shine, after that I need to blot or touch up with powder. Although I tend to look oily after about 5 hours, the foundation lasts all day. Estee lauder's color matching system is easy to understand, which is a plus as many other brands do not offer consumers a well organized, easy to understand color match system. The foundation looks most natural when applying a minimal amount, and I like to also apply a dusting of oil absorbing powder for a nice matte finish. The price is reasonable, and if you have combination skin or oily skin then you might want to consider trying out double wear. I also would like to mention that this product claims to leave a semi-matte finish, which is not true. The finish is a little dewy. Another potential downside is that EL does not offer a selection for very fair skin tones. My skin is fair, and I use ecru, if my skin was any lighter this line would not work for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2008 12:48:00 AM More reviews by dechn

I love this foundation! Best foundation of all that I have tried so far! (Among all foundations that I tried: Chanel, Dior, La Mer, La Prarie.. etc) Really good for combination/oil skin. Great coverage- just wish it had more shades to choose from and the package could be a little nicer.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2008 12:17:00 AM More reviews by gore0030

OMG I love this foundation. Only put a little on and applyed fairly fast (as had read about it being hard to apply) and got a flawless finish well worth the rather expensive price tag! I was a little worried as have read mixed reveiws but this was exactly what I was hoping for. An easy to apply smooth make up with lasting powers! This is the first day i've used it so ill get back to you if i change my mind! =)
# Update. When my husband saw me he said I looked like a doll and it was the best my make up had ever looked apart from our wedding. I think this is my new fav make up.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/14/2008 3:47:00 PM More reviews by rinsrevenge

Colour match is good and it doesn't streak or cake, even on my oily t-zone. But the foundation feels pretty heavy and if you apply too much, you end up looking overly made-up.

I don't particularly dislike this product, but neither am I head-over-heels in love with it. It's expensive (it's EL after all), but I don't think the price justifies what this foundation is all about. It's not a miracle worker, it feels basic not luxurious, and I do think that you can get more cost-effective foundations that do the job without burning a hole in your pocket.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2008 11:23:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

I am a first time buyer, I have seen it mentioned in Allure magazine for years and now I bought one. I have a formal event coming up and need something that will hold up through ballroom dancing and the entire night. I think this is it, I tested it in the store and was happy. I am a match for the shade Fresco as well. It's a great skintone match... and like they say if Estee Lauder doesn't have your shade then it's next to impossible to find. Update: make sure you moisturize well and exfoliate skin once a week, otherwise this cakes up in spots.

SECOND UPDATE: Too dry for me in the Fall or Winter. It also darkens over a little time, which none of my other foundations do. Oxidization is not cool, and it also can be patchy coverage. Yes, it lasts forever, but I think it's basically the old version of Revlon Colorstay. Only far more expensive. This was probably made for oily skin that needs more staying power, and I guarantee with oil already on skin it glides easier. I'll use it up and go back to it in warmer weather. I do feel it's a little heavy...

rated 4 of 5 on 10/6/2008 10:36:00 PM More reviews by mrsmacdonald

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have super oily acne prone skin and started using this when I moved to a more humid climate because other foundations would run and get into my contact and make it to where I couldn't see. The staying power of this foundation is good for me. I also found out that if you don't use a makeup remover, it'll make you break out. I also have very fair skin that I use the lightest one because one up from that is too dark. I'm going to try the double wear light and see if I like it any better than the original double wear. I don't like the fact that it's a glass bottle and there is still a lot of product left in it that you can't get to. I wish they would package the product better. The reason I repurchase this product is because it doesn't run and get into my eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2008 4:35:00 PM More reviews by whiterabbit23

I've been using this foundation for about 2 years now (although at the moment, I'm using MAC full coverage).
I have NEVER found a foundation with as much staying power as Double Wear.
Yes, it's thick. So thick that getting it to come out of the bottle is quite an annoying task at times. Once you learn how to apply it, it goes on beautifully and will stay that way all day. You absolutely cannot apply multiple coats of this once one coat has already dried. If you do, you will end up with cakey splotchy makeup. It is best applied in small amounts and "patted" onto the face with a sponge rather than brushed on.

One complaint I do have, however (and this it more about EL in general than it is about Double Wear) is that I find the shade system complicated. When I have absolutely no tan at all (ie. the dead of winter) the lightest shade works for me, no question about it. But finding a shade that matches my tanned skin is a huge challenge. I never feel that the match is exact. It's either too light or too orange.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2008 10:16:00 AM More reviews by spyglassweb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It took me a while to get used to this product. I stuck with it because the color I chose is a perfect match for my skin. I think getting an exact match is key to any foundation choice.

I have uneven skin tone. My skin does not look good w/o makeup. This product is definitely for women like me who have a bit to hide.

If you put it on too heavy, it makes your skin look dull and mask like - even older. The key is a light touch, it does spread easily. Start with a few drops and spread out thin, Even a thin layer covers well.

It is worth trying if you need a bit of coverage. It lasts throughout the day. My skin looks less oily, as oil does not break through the makeup. I have acne-prone skin and it has not caused breakouts. I was concerned that it would b/c of the reviews describing it as hard to remove.

I am still looking for perfect makeup (and may not find it). I feel this is a very good choice though and am happy with the results.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2008 1:35:00 AM More reviews by Kimber7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have purchased this product for many years now. I occationally will take a break and use Clinique's work out makeup but I always come back to Double Wear. I just can't say enough about this product. I will say that it does take some getting used to. It's a bit hard in the beginning to get used to the texture and the "technique" it takes to apply it, but stick with it! You will be happy you did, it really is an amazing product. I have not found anything comparable. I find that if you use Smashbox Primer under your eyes, then the Double Wear does not settle in the fine lines, so that's a must for me in application.
Great product!!