July 25, 2014 | 963 users online

Liquid - MAC - Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2010 4:52:00 PM More reviews by summer514

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this foundation to cover up my hyperpigmentation as a result from acne scarring. I love the pump and how controllable it is, and I love the consistency. It doesn't dry on your face fast like the Revlon Color stay foundation, so it's very easy to apply. The coverage is amazing. I didn't even need to use concealer over it to hide the acne scars! I thought this was my hg foundation until my face started to break out really badly. I'm talking about painful hard cystic acne clustered on my jawline, my forehead, and my cheeks! I couldn't figure out the cause for the longest time so I kept using the foundation to cover up the breakouts. It wasn't until recently that I learned from the estheticians at the spa i go to that mac makes the worst foundations for acne prone skin. Yes, it's great for covering it up, but it could also be the cause in the first place. I immediately switched foundations and I am slowly seeing a reduction in breakouts. I'm planning on keeping this just because it was expensive and I don't want to waste it. Maybe I'll be able to wear it once my skin clears on occasion. However I definitely won't be purchasing again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2010 8:09:00 AM More reviews by nadmer

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Wow, this product really has some mixed reviews! Well, thought I'd give my opinion too as in some ways I think it's a great product, and in others I'd say it could be a bit better. Ok, so here goes...

Good points:
I have combination-oily slightly blemished skin and this really does layer up well to cover the scars (flat not pitted) I have from pimples. The finish is really nice, matte enough without looking dry. The colour match (NC37) is also a pretty good match for my yellowish-olive-brown skin. The price was fine I thought and once I got my head round the idea that I had to buy a separate pump I thought it diespensed the product really well. It's also very long lasting, as make up normally just slides off my face my midday, and lasts even better if you use it with primer and powder.

Weaker points:
I thought this was a perfect colour match, but when I spent the weekend in the Uk (I live in Spain) I noticed that in the British light it looked a bit pinky and didn't match me so well, strange I know... For a wedding I went to recently I useed it with MAC primer and powder (I normally wear studio fix alone) and whilst it gave me porcelain skin, especially in the photos, it did settle into the little creases around my mouth which wasn't very attractive. Also, when I apply it with the brush sold to me at the MAC counter it does stay longer on my face but also looks quite streaky unless you spend ages blending it in.

That's it for now, I'd say it's not quite my HG (oly Grail) but is almost there!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2010 4:13:00 AM More reviews by sparklehead

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Bottom line: NC 15 was too light, NC 20 too dark/yellow and I'm not willing to sit there mixing it every day. Who has the time?

After hearing about the good color range of MAC foundations I was excited to try this out but it wasn't the answer I was hoping for. It was much yellower than I thought it would be and they didn't seem to have a more neutral option (NW was way too pink).

Aside from the color match problems, the formula itself was just ok. It wore well throughout the day, but it took some time and effort to make it look natural and not like I had a plastic mask on. Coverage was fine and it lasted. Also, it wasn't that comfortable on my face. It definately had that "you're wearing foundation" feel to it. If the color had been amazing I might have been able to work with the other stuff, but all together, it left me feeling kind of "eh.."

Oh, and what is up with having to buy a pump separately??? Just put the pump on the bottle MAC, seriously.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2010 7:24:00 AM More reviews by angiekok

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

when i bought it i had really many expectations for this legendary foundation,but...well let's start from the positives,it covers everything!!!the skin looks flawless!!the best coverage i ve ever had!!!and it really lasts all day long,but the smell is kind of weird and it breaks me out bad,very very very bad.i used it for a week and stopped using it daily after the acne that caused me.i decide to keep it and use it in special occasions only for the good coverage that provides.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2009 10:44:00 AM More reviews by lelestar

Wow, it makes me sad that some ppl don't love this product as much as I do! Oh well.

I have fair skin- that is sensitive, and combo to oily.

I love the foundation, I'm ALWAYS getting compliments on how great my skin looks... and friends always asking what foundation I use! It has great coverage- It's easy to layer thicker if needed- It has GREAT staying power! but not like a mask- like a supportive friend! :)

Wish the packaging was a bit better. What are ppl talking about needing a pump? this stuff comes in a glass bottle... anyway, if the lid wasn't curved then it would be easier to store upside down to get all remaining foundation out. So i balance it.

FYI- I don't get clogged pores at all from this. It's nice and matte and natural looking. I've been using it for about 2-3 years. I'm a tried and true fan. WOOO!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2009 11:33:00 AM More reviews by jessly

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this foundation! its my first foundation, it fits my skin tone colour well, it covers well and it applies on smoothly. I dont break out either. But the only down side is that it rubs off onto clothes easily! overall i love it.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/28/2009 7:03:00 PM More reviews by elisha24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am changing my review for this, I thought it looked great till I caught a glimpse in full sunlight... I looked SO orange, id been wearing it for two days until I noticed how embaressing! It broke me out in a rash too!

If you can find a colour match its a nice foundation.
For those people complaining it doesnt cover enough I think people need to consider that foundation isn't for covering, it's for evening out your skin tone and laying the foundation for the rest of your makeup. Concealer is for more coverage, I dont have good skin at all but this foundation with a touch of concealer makes my skin look perfectly airbrushed! Pity about the colour!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/28/2009 2:37:00 PM More reviews by LuLuBells

UGH. Can we say clogged pores? Sure it covers, but then halfway through the day it turned my skin into an oil slick!! I have never had that problem before using this. And the breakouts on my chin were unbelievable! I guess it really depends on your skin type with this, but it did not work out for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2009 12:51:00 AM More reviews by diddlez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have clear skin on the dry side. I moisturize and then use primer before applying this product. I mix it with a tinted moisturizer to thin it out and buff it on all over my face using a 187 brush. This really gives me an air brushed finish. Coverage is great! HG status!

Pros:
-dries to a matte finish
-buildable coverage
-blends nicely
-stays in place even when sweating

Cons:
-you have to buy a pump $5
-sometimes accentuates dry spots

btw I went hiking with make up on.. up the grouse grind and when i was done my make up was still in place even after all that sweating :)!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2009 9:53:00 AM More reviews by JolieBelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

despite the huge number of reviews on this product (which indicate that many girls liked this and purchased it), especially the positive ones, i can't join in...unfortunately.

i have had only one negative experience with Mac products, namely the Full Coverage Foundation (by the way, anyone interested in a Mac Full coverage in NW20? i'm willing to trade it for ANYTHING...), but i know Mac makes good stuff. howeverrr...as far as i'm concerned i think it has something to do with the products sold in europe. everything i tried, except for the eyshadows, pencils and face powders, was really bad. i always drop by the mac counter in Stockholm, that is whenever i go there, and i try...and try...hopeful that one day i'll find something worth purchasing. wrong assumption.

i used this 3 or 4 times, i don't know if this foundation is available in sample forms but i got a little bit of the product in my own little container, asked the lady if it was ok for me to put a little it in (more or less the same quantity as two or three normal pumps) and she gave me the green light. i got this just because the first time i tried it it didn't work, and i really wanted to give it another try, after all, it's a cult and a must-have from Mac.

we all know about the color range, the packaging, etc etc, so i'll just jump to the argument.
well. it smells bad, like plasticine and oxidized oil.
it doesn't cover pimples or red spots, you have to layer it up for this to happen.
on the bright side, it is buildable, doesn't cake at the second layer.
on the not-so-bright side, the oil and the pigments kind of separated the moment i pumped it out...and i had to basically blend it in the container to get a homogeneous 'paste', like a normal foundation would be like. horrible.
it is too thin.
weirdly enough, it dried my skin though being and feeling oily. i could feel the roughness on my skin, on rubbing my fingers with this on, yet my face was shiny and greasy.
i feared it would actually get to drip off my face and run down my couture lol. it didn't, but the feeling was the same. terrible terrible.
i applied it with my fingers first, then a brush; the third application was with a sponge. of course it sucked a lot of product, the coverage was lighter and had to build it up, but the finish looked a bit better than usually.
it lasts pretty ok, meaning i'll end up with 15% more grease on my face than at the moment of the application. still, shiny face all the way, and this doesn't happen with other foundations.
i get the same sensation of oily yet dry from my Nuxe huile prodigieuse, strange enough...very yucky, gets me to think my skin is being under the aggression of this product all day, while on the surface one can spot only the oiliness and think it doesn't dry the skin out. i hope i'm making sense here.

i think this is an europe-related problem with the mac stuff, or just a sweden-related one. i swear, almost NOTHING mac has is worth buying here and i know their products are of good quality, many makeup artists use them. the lipsticks are rancid and smell of plasticine, the mascaras are all dried up, the foundations smell of oil and are greasy and nasty, the brushes are smaller than what i've seen and shed a lot of hairs...and these are real mac products from the mac counter, not something i've tried from someone or purchased on ebay or stuff like that. disappointing.

maybe it has something to do with the storage methods here, they have all the products lined up under these huge lights and you can physically feel the heat from the lights when you come closer to the stand. or the stuff has just gone old because not many people are willing to pay the price...i don't know. truly disappointing. not to mention the rude assistants who don't know sh*t...seriously, they have no clue about anything, colors, textures, tools, nada. i'd do a much better job in their place...sigh sigh and triple sigh.

so yes, bottom line is that mac has disappointed some of their european potential clients...i still hope one day they will solve this problem.