April 19, 2014 | 1597 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2008 11:29:00 PM More reviews by marleypup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Violet

I actually didn't expect to change a thing about my skincare. I am happy removing my makeup (which is minimal most days) with some creamy moisturizer and a cloth.

However I received a sample packet of this lovely stuff with my QVC order of my very first Philosophy 3-in-1s. I was sucked in. The ingredients are nice. I love the essential oils and absolutes--the lack of synthetic perfume makes it easy on my eyes (pun...). It also smells great for nighttime.

I have oily/combo/acne-prone skin, so the oils scared me. I found that they actually deep clean into my pores if I rub long enough, gently. I finish up with a bit of LUSH Fresh Farmacy solid complexion soap and moisturize.

This is a very effective product as far as makeup removal and moisturization goes. It takes off the thickest, ickiest mascara coating.

The packaging is neat and minimalist, which I love.

A little goes a long way, but the price is a tad high. Still, for what I view as a high-quality product that my picky skin takes to...love it.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2008 11:41:00 PM More reviews by mam4993

All hype! I've been using this cleanser for three weeks now and it definitely does not live up to the hype or price. If anything, I've been breaking out more since I've been washing with it. The texture is definitely too thick for my liking. I heard someone from Philosophy on QVC saying that you shouldn't wet your face before applying this, but that makes it impossible to spread around. I really need to stop watching QVC.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2008 1:12:00 PM More reviews by she_thinks_it

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really like this cleanser, because it gets off all the dirt and the day's makeup after my evening workout. I don't notice the smell at all, and I like that I don't have to use a separate makeup remover to get my makeup off before washing my face. I have combination skin which is also acne-prone and while I find that this doesn't do the most stellar job of staving off acne, it certainly doesn't make it worse, either. It's a nice "everyday" cleanser.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2008 1:58:00 AM More reviews by desertmom4

Is it just me or does Philosophy's skincare line have an awful smell to it? I received this in a kit with other Philosophy skincare items, and I was excited to try this cleanser as I read this stuff is supposed to cleanse, remove make-up, tone, and moisturize, basically an all-in-one. To begin, the texture is thick, not runny which is good as it doesn't run out of your hands when you activate it w/ water. It lathered up pretty well in my hand before I applied it all over my face. The slight scent ( hard to describe), was bothersome, but not as bad as their HIAJ (ewww). It rinsed off pretty well, I didn't feel like I had a film of any sort on my face, but I did notice that it made my skin sometimes feel tight and dry. I thought this stuff was supposed to also moisturize a bit? It didn't completely take off all my make-up as I still had traces of mascara and e/l on...on QVC ( where I ordered it from), the model was wearing a full face of m/u, mascara and e/l included, and it seemed to come off her face after she washed w/ Purity Made Simple ~ perhaps it was TV magic to amaze someone like me into purchasing it. All-in-all, I didn't care for this facial cleanser. I have since moved onto cleansing oil, and that does take off all traces of m/u, and leaves my skin feeling soft, and looking clean. I will NOT be repurchasing or recommending Purity Made Simple to anyone!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/31/2007 11:28:00 PM More reviews by parkbench28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This was a big no-go for me. I liked the smell, but it really dried out my skin and clogged my pores.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2007 4:32:00 PM More reviews by jgsawy0uth

This is a gentle cleanser I needed for my combination skin after starting on differin cream. I use it in conjunction with my clarisonic face brush and it works very well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2007 2:22:00 PM More reviews by Joke

I use this every day now, I wouldn't say this product is an exciting product, but it does the job. And it doesn't cause any break outs (a miracle for me :)). It'sa nice & soft cleanser and I will rebuy once out of it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2007 10:41:00 AM More reviews by WenchMartha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like it but here's what I suspect others won't: it's lavendar-herbal scented and if that bothers you in a cleanser, don't get this. It's not lathering and a lot of people do like that. It doesn't remove all my eye makeup unless I use a washcloth and rub my eyes (I use a separate remover anyway and nothing I've ever tried has removed all eye makeup in one minimal step). In those regards, this product may not be to your liking--after all, both the packaging and QVC sell (if you watch that channel), harp on the idea that this is a "one-step" cleanser. Unless you wear little to no eye makeup, I just don't see how it could be.

So why do I like it? Well, I don't find the smell offensive or bothersome. I do find that it nicely melts what face makeup I do wear and does at least remove some of my eye makeup enough to where I don't have to use excessive other remover for that. I really prefer to use it in the AM when I have a relatively "clean" face anyway. The packaging quality is fine--no complaints there. It can be pricey but given some lines out there, I think this is fairly reasonable and I will purchase this again. But if you're in the market for a non-lathering, fairly non-irritating, middle of the road cleanser, this will definitely do--but Cetaphil might just as well so try it first.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/18/2007 5:18:00 AM More reviews by Bridgetr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

At first, I could not stand the fragrance. Then it grew on me, and now I love it. But unfortunately, the cleanser leaves my face feeling tight and dry. I have oily skin that is flaky from Taz, and even if I use this after an oil cleanse, it is just too drying for me. But I wish it worked, because the fragrance has really got a hold on me! Very strange, because I found it so objectionable in the beginning.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/16/2007 8:31:00 PM More reviews by misspoppy

its good for removing makeup but i found it didn't help with breakouts. i am now using lush products and find them to be a lot better. i put i would buy it again but not really sure if i would.