October 24, 2014 | 957 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - Shadow Insurance

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2008 5:13:00 AM More reviews by gretagirluy

i am on the fence with this product. I would first point out what i like about it:
1. it works. my eye makeup lasts hours without creasing
2. the packaging makes it hygienic to use, unlike the wand Urban Decay's Primer Potion. you only squeeze out what you need
3. a little goes a long long way. a tube would last you more than a year i suppose.

now, what i don't like about it ---> the creamy product and it's "oils" separated (this didn't happen when i first started using it). it still works however i end up with slightly oilier lids and if i don't work on my eye shadow fast, the product itself creases. I have to now squeeze Shadow Insurance in a palette or tissue to get rid of the separated oil and just use the cream.

i dunno what caused the separation, i've kept all my makeup tightly closed, away from heat/excessive warmth, stored in a cool area... it could have been a great great product if not for this. Might not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2008 3:28:00 AM More reviews by flymestza

All in all this is a great product. I absolutely love UD primer potion and had to do a comparison. TF is slightly creamier and easier to blend. My paint pots didn't look cakey over this like it can with UD if I'm not careful. It also has better packaging than the UD. Having said that, I still prefer UD over TF. My eyelids tend to get a little oily so this creamier texture didn't hold up as long as UD does for me. I think UD is better for oily lids and normal to dry should go for the TF.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2008 11:19:00 AM More reviews by clueless2mu

I have been using UDPP for a few months and like. I bought the Too Face Shadow Insurance only because it was on sale at Ricky's in NYC for half the original price. I must say I prefer it more over the UDPP. It's easy to dispense and much creamier than UDPP. It does not have the dry feeling on my lids like UDPP. In regards to staying power, its about the same at UDPP. Both primers do an excellent job preventing fading and creasing. Would buy again and recommend to others.

-----EDIT-------

8/22/09- This is my first summer using this product. Was in Texas earlier this month, and it help up to the 100+ degree heat (slightly creased). Also held up to NY heat and humidity for the past two weeks. Can honestly say will choose this over UDPP.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2008 9:23:00 AM More reviews by avocadogirl

This is the first eyeshadow primer I have bought and I will buy it over and over and over again!! It comes in an easy to squeeze blue tube and the label is very pretty. But most importantly it works well - doesn't crease and it enhances the colours of the eyeshadow and stays that way pretty much all day.

At first I thought it was a little bit pricey but it's great quality and a little bit of primer goes a long way!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2008 3:24:00 AM More reviews by Kayelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Primer Potion would be one of my desert island picks, so I thought that a similar product from TF that came in a much-more-convenient/sanitary tube would be beyond perfect. Oddly enough, despite how much others love this for me it just doesn't compare to Primer Potion. It seems to dull my shadows and liners a bit, and doesn't extend their wear nearly as long as PP does. It's definitely better than nothing but fails to meet my expectations.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2008 6:45:00 PM More reviews by shanidy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this primer! I decided to try it after hearing the raves on the boards...and after being sick and tired of UDPP packaging! I like UDPP, but hate the packaging and the dryness of the primer. TFSI fixed both of my primer issues!
The packaging on TF shadow insurance is perfect for this kind of product (IMO). I find this slightly less drying than UDPP, but just as long wearing. I find it easier to spread on my eyelids. It also looks less chalky after it dries. My shadows go on vibrant and I get no creasing. I will continue to buy this.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2008 4:20:00 AM More reviews by ickdragon

Too Faced Shadow Insurance worked well enough for me in the beginning. I still had creasing towards the end of the day and my eyeshadow definitely looked faded. Since this was my first time using a shadow primer, I figured it wasn't the actual product because I have really oily eyelids to begin with. Then I tried Urban Decay's Primer Potion and well, it was TFSI's fault! After using UDPP for a couple of months and having great results, I'm sorry to say that TFSI just doesn't match up. It's really too bad because TFSI has a better product design which gives you more bang for your buck. I haven't had to perform surgery (yet) on my UDPP to gain access to the remaining product, but I already feel annoyed at the prospect. For those of you gals who have had luck with TFSI, I'm happy for you because it is a good product; it's just wasn't the right fit for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2008 6:29:00 PM More reviews by glossbliss

How did I ever put my MU on w/o this is a mystery, jk, but I'll def never go w/o it again.

Pros:
-Hygienic package
-A little of it goes a long way
-Ads loads of lasting power to MU
-No creases anywhere

Neutral:
- I didn't notice any out of this world help with blending or e/s intensity although it does improve both somewhat.

A must have IMO, will def buy again and again and again until I can get my hands on UDPP and compare the two (Bloody Italy with no UD :^P) and see what all the fuss is about lol.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2008 3:46:00 PM More reviews by sadendingsong

how did i ever live without this? im sure many of the people who reviewed this before me thought the same thing because it just makes shadows look and last so much better. theres no dryness or flaking and i have not detected any irritation so far. it even made my vincent longo wet diamond eyeshadow look soft and vibrant (that shadow is the epitome of chunky glitter and fall out central). though it can crease if you like to use certain cream shadows over this and under eyeshadow, in general it does the trick. just get this because it works.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2008 9:11:00 PM More reviews by amarock

I want to marry this if I could. It truly keeps my eye makeup from creasing or fading from morning until night, even on hot humid days. I apply a thin layer of this after I've washed my face in the morning, let it dry and then dust a light coating of Alima Satin Finishing Powder before I apply any eye makeup. I've used Shadow Insurance underneath all kinds of eye makeup, from inexpensive drugstore brands all the way to high end stuff, including liquid eyeliner, cream and powder eyeshadows, mineral mica eyeshadows - it all stays put with this primer. I've tried a few other primers and the closest to the effectiveness of TFSI for me is Lumene's. I was torn between this one or UDPP but after reading so much about the horrendous wand design of the "genie" bottle, I decided to opt for this easy to use squeeze tube instead. So glad I did. The 11mL tube cost me $24cdn at Sephora, which is kind of pricey for a teeny tiny item, but since it's such a miracle product for me, I will fork over my money to replace this once I finish the tube. If my Lumene tube is any indication (similar size, Lumene is 10mL), this will last me at least 3 years with daily use!