September 21, 2014 | 1912 users online

Eye Primer - Too Faced - Shadow Insurance, Anti-Crease Eye Shadow Primer

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2008 1:05:00 PM More reviews by anshort4angel

I had been a devoted user of MAC's bare canvas and it worked for me; slight creasing and smudging but overall fairly succesful. However, I decided to search for something new when a MAC SA told me they're going to discontinue it soon.

I tried Urban Decays' Primer Potion and it was hopeless; my eyeshadow creased horribly and my liner smudges all over the place leaving me look like a racoon. (Yes i tried it using less, more, with and without eye cream - and every combination thereof - no difference).

I also tried Guerlain Protective Base for the Eyelids and that was miserable; my eyeshadow creased like NO OTHER.. i never knew my shadow could even crease/smudge THAT bad...

When I returned to Sephora to return those products the SA suggested I try Too Faced. A bit skeptical since it was a Sephora SA that highly suggested Guerlain's, I was not going for it. She was very persistant and insisted ...so I gave in.

**I'm glad I did!**

Although I still get very slight creases (I think it's just the way my lids are shaped) it's nothing noticable. My eyeshadow goes extremely smooth and I definitely use less for the same affect as before. If anything, it actually makes my eye shadow easier to blend! It stays on all day and just as vibrant. What I love most? I dab a teeny bit on my lower lash line and my bottom liner (whether i use actual liner or shadow like MAC's carbon) stays on SMUDGE FREE all day!! It's a miracle. I've always had to retouch my bottom liner or check for racoon eyes - with this? NOT A SINGLE WORRY! I don't even check it anymore and when I get home from an 8 hour work day or even a long night of partying/clubbing, no smudges no smears. Even better? The packaging. I absolutely love that it's in a sanitary squeeze bottle type container - no stupid wand like UDPP, and no having to cut the bottle apart to get the product out (WTF?). No unsanitary pot like Guerlains... its sanitary and simple!

Thank you TOO FACED!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2008 10:01:00 PM More reviews by longgoodnight04

all I have to say is that this is way better than UDPP( and i thought that was amazing until I tried this!)
It is smooth unlike UDPP which is dry and hard to work with.
A little also goes a long way.
I also like the packaging more than UDPP...no silly applicators or tubes that keep half the product hidden in them!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2008 6:02:00 PM More reviews by melesande

Love, love, love this product! (UDPP is great too, but I vastly prefer the Too-Faced, since it looks and feels better on my dry eyelids.)

Eyeshadows which I had thought were just okay look gorgeous over this base. They adhere easily to it, yet are still easy to blend. My eye makeup lasts all day without a crease to be found, which is amazing since I have deep-set eyes with a very prominent eyelid crease. It's a bit pricey, but an excellent value, since it requires such a tiny amount per use.

In reading the reviews, I saw that some have had a problem with this product separating. I observed this as well when I used the tester at Ulta. So, to prevent this, I massage the tube a bit before each use. It's been about six weeks, and I haven't had a problem yet!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2008 5:13:00 AM More reviews by gretagirluy

i am on the fence with this product. I would first point out what i like about it:
1. it works. my eye makeup lasts hours without creasing
2. the packaging makes it hygienic to use, unlike the wand Urban Decay's Primer Potion. you only squeeze out what you need
3. a little goes a long long way. a tube would last you more than a year i suppose.

now, what i don't like about it ---> the creamy product and it's "oils" separated (this didn't happen when i first started using it). it still works however i end up with slightly oilier lids and if i don't work on my eye shadow fast, the product itself creases. I have to now squeeze Shadow Insurance in a palette or tissue to get rid of the separated oil and just use the cream.

i dunno what caused the separation, i've kept all my makeup tightly closed, away from heat/excessive warmth, stored in a cool area... it could have been a great great product if not for this. Might not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2008 3:28:00 AM More reviews by flymestza

All in all this is a great product. I absolutely love UD primer potion and had to do a comparison. TF is slightly creamier and easier to blend. My paint pots didn't look cakey over this like it can with UD if I'm not careful. It also has better packaging than the UD. Having said that, I still prefer UD over TF. My eyelids tend to get a little oily so this creamier texture didn't hold up as long as UD does for me. I think UD is better for oily lids and normal to dry should go for the TF.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2008 11:19:00 AM More reviews by clueless2mu

I have been using UDPP for a few months and like. I bought the Too Face Shadow Insurance only because it was on sale at Ricky's in NYC for half the original price. I must say I prefer it more over the UDPP. It's easy to dispense and much creamier than UDPP. It does not have the dry feeling on my lids like UDPP. In regards to staying power, its about the same at UDPP. Both primers do an excellent job preventing fading and creasing. Would buy again and recommend to others.

-----EDIT-------

8/22/09- This is my first summer using this product. Was in Texas earlier this month, and it help up to the 100+ degree heat (slightly creased). Also held up to NY heat and humidity for the past two weeks. Can honestly say will choose this over UDPP.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2008 9:23:00 AM More reviews by avocadogirl

This is the first eyeshadow primer I have bought and I will buy it over and over and over again!! It comes in an easy to squeeze blue tube and the label is very pretty. But most importantly it works well - doesn't crease and it enhances the colours of the eyeshadow and stays that way pretty much all day.

At first I thought it was a little bit pricey but it's great quality and a little bit of primer goes a long way!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2008 3:24:00 AM More reviews by Kayelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Primer Potion would be one of my desert island picks, so I thought that a similar product from TF that came in a much-more-convenient/sanitary tube would be beyond perfect. Oddly enough, despite how much others love this for me it just doesn't compare to Primer Potion. It seems to dull my shadows and liners a bit, and doesn't extend their wear nearly as long as PP does. It's definitely better than nothing but fails to meet my expectations.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2008 6:45:00 PM More reviews by shanidy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this primer! I decided to try it after hearing the raves on the boards...and after being sick and tired of UDPP packaging! I like UDPP, but hate the packaging and the dryness of the primer. TFSI fixed both of my primer issues!
The packaging on TF shadow insurance is perfect for this kind of product (IMO). I find this slightly less drying than UDPP, but just as long wearing. I find it easier to spread on my eyelids. It also looks less chalky after it dries. My shadows go on vibrant and I get no creasing. I will continue to buy this.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2008 4:20:00 AM More reviews by ickdragon

Too Faced Shadow Insurance worked well enough for me in the beginning. I still had creasing towards the end of the day and my eyeshadow definitely looked faded. Since this was my first time using a shadow primer, I figured it wasn't the actual product because I have really oily eyelids to begin with. Then I tried Urban Decay's Primer Potion and well, it was TFSI's fault! After using UDPP for a couple of months and having great results, I'm sorry to say that TFSI just doesn't match up. It's really too bad because TFSI has a better product design which gives you more bang for your buck. I haven't had to perform surgery (yet) on my UDPP to gain access to the remaining product, but I already feel annoyed at the prospect. For those of you gals who have had luck with TFSI, I'm happy for you because it is a good product; it's just wasn't the right fit for me.