April 16, 2014 | 1417 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2009 1:24:00 PM More reviews by lathibad

I must admit that I am pleasantly surprised by this product. This is the best liquid foundation I have ever used, and I never thought a full coverage foundation could look so natural. I need foundation to conceal some reddness and hyperpigmentation, so something with fuller coverage is required. I was previously using mineral makeup. While I like the feel of mineral makeup (bare escentuals and everyday minerals), I was never able to achieve the airbrushed coverage I wanted. Also, even with a primer, my makeup always needed a good touch-up several times a day. Double Wear is a great product for those that need fuller coverage and do not want to be worrying about what their face is doing every five minutes. Also, I apply a good dusting of mineral veil (bare escentuals) to help the product set. That sounds like a lot of makeup, but my skin looks more natural that it ever did when I used mineral makeup. I will say that I apply this product sparingly. DO NOT glob this stuff on. It is very thick, and will set super fast. Build the coverage up and only in places that need it. Also, if you have a zit or some pigmentation that needs coverage, use just a bit of concealer and dust with powder, not more foundation. Doing this will help you avoid the mask look, which some people have complained about. Let me also add that I have worked out with this foundation on. It completely stayed in place and I looked great afterwards. Just a slight dusting of mineral veil, and I looked like a movie star. This foundation has helped me achieve totally flawless, natural looking skin that lasts all day.

Update (6/7/2011): To this day, this is my go to foundation. I tried to stray, but just keep coming back. This stuff is amazing. I can literally rock climb in 100 degree heat for eight hours, and this stuff doesn't budge. My HG foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2009 5:55:00 PM More reviews by vrinda

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this foundation. In fact I wasn't much of a fan earlier when I was using the regular foundation brush; I also felt that the color was a tad light on my skin. But when I got the Mac 187 brush and used this the first time I nearly fainted with joy...I looked bright and glowy with the perfect airbrushed skin! I like this more than my MUFE foundation as this one really hydrates. When I use the 187 brush I also end up using very little foundation..and thats a plus ! I did notice that it does not last all day though so I take away one point on this..

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2009 12:22:00 PM More reviews by Tanja1801

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like this Double Wear. Not so much the fact that it covers well (medium to full) but ONLY for the fact that this is the only foundation on the market that stays put throughout the day, it doesn't fade and it doesn't change color. Yes, as mentioned before by other reviewers, it can look cakey when you apply to much (just don't!) and okay the bottle is not great, I also prefer a pomp (why doesn't EL changes his packaging if so many people hate it??) and also, it really doesn't come off easily (but that's just what I want, I want it to be long wearable so for me it is okay that I have to use my cleanser twice to get it off my face at night)
If it is important for you that your foundation stays put all day long, won't smudge and won't change color troughout the day then this foundation is just right for you!!
Tanja

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2009 9:18:00 PM More reviews by spasavvy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the best foundation if you need staying power. Being an Esthetician, I am usually behind a steamer and other foundations do not hold up. This foundation does require slightly different application techniques as it tends to set quickly. Once it has set, it is difficult to move so make sure you blend quickly and evenly. This is a buildable foundation, meaning you can layer it for extra coverage in the areas you need it, but you do need to wait for the first layer to dry. You should start off with a small amount and in sections; start with the forehead, blend well and then apply to the cheek, blend and move to the other cheek...etc. If you use serums or moisturizers that have any type of silicone such as estee lauder idealist pore minimizer, then the foundation will not adhere well to the skin and it can cause rolling or wont blend in properly. Once you get it figured out you will love that it covers very nicely in a light-weight feel appropriate for everyday usage not to mention how well it holds up through sweat and humidity.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2009 11:48:00 PM More reviews by rk14889

I had high hopes for this foundation due to the amount of good reviews that I had read on it.
Perhaps the greatest merit of the Double Wear foundation is its superb staying-power. It remains on the skin until it is removed using either a face cleanser or makeup remover. I also adored how light it felt on my skin in comparison to the medium to heavy coverage it gave.
However, what prevented me from purchasing this foundation was the fact that I could not find a matching shade. The closest match for me in the Double Wear would be 4W1 Shell Beige, but its prevalent peach undertones did not complement my strong yellow undertones. Also, the Double Wear dries onto the skin faster than other liquid foundations thus requires you to blend quicker (although this is a minor issue for me).
All in all, this could have been my HG foundation if it only had my shade. If, like me, you couldn't find your shade in the Double Wear, then do not despair as I strongly suggest that you try it's worthy comparable: the Revlon Colorstay foundation.

---

For reference, I'm NC35-41 in MAC and Warm Natural (4.5) in Bobbi Brown. I have dry-sensitive skin during the cooler months and a combination of normal to oily skin during the warmer months. My skin suffers from hormonal acne on a regular basis, as well as eczema on occasions.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/6/2009 3:52:00 PM More reviews by elvia2189

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I didnt blend well
color was too pink
did not last on my skin
started to peel
It was just bad i dont understand all the good reveiws fo it

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2009 4:40:00 AM More reviews by dhina7

love it/ the best!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2009 10:48:00 AM More reviews by antelopes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

i love this foundation. it's fairly thick, and so i find i prefer to use a regular foundation brush as opposed to a 187. i only use a tiny bit and it goes a long way. it's waterproof, rub resistant and will stay on all day. the coverage is medium/full, however i find it doesn't build very well. i would say it was a matte/satin finish. the only negative side to this foundation is that in direct sunlight it doesn't look so good.. i'm not quite sure how to describe it though. i tend to only wear it in winter and on occasions that i know i'll be inside! i wear 2w1 or 3w1 depending on how tanned i am, in mac i tend to vary from nc20 to nc35.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2009 3:34:00 PM More reviews by prettycitygirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I went to buy my usual foundation - Equilizer, but I the counter lady talk me into trying Double Wear for the hot, humid Texas summer.

I'm still on the fence if I will repurchase this product. Though I like the med/full coverage and the staying powder, the make-up sets up very quickly and I am unable to build or blend away any flaws. I also find this foundation a pain to remove! This stuff has staying power! I've been using 2-asprin diluted in my facial wash as a scrub to fully remove this foundation off my face! This is serious stuff!

All I can offer this foundation does cover and stay - even through my workouts! The color is great and this product is resonalbly priced.

Bad news - I can look creapy if your skin is dry.

Update 04/27/10

I'm on my 2nd or 3rd bottle of this stuff - I love it! As long as my skin is mositurized, this foundation works beautifully! It stays all day, through my work, until I take it off! I've tested several other foundations recently (free samples) and everytime, I thankful to go back to my DW! I will keep buying!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2009 2:46:00 PM More reviews by luckygal79

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Okay, to be fair this foundation is exactly what it says. It looks freshly applied all day with no touchups needed for me. The color matched perfectly (linen). It even looked a little natural. But that's where the love ended. In every picture I look like a ghost! I'm already light enough! And this is really hard to blend. It sets up so quickly and if I try to layer it looks thick and textured. I gave it a 3 because if you want a full coverage foundation that stays true, it is a wonderful product. Since I don't need that kind of coverage, it just feels heavy. I only whip this out on very formal occassions. I won't repurchase if I ever use it up.