August 21, 2014 | 1633 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 3 of 5 on 3/23/2008 8:20:00 PM More reviews by ohBetty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this as a set with Hope in a Jar. Purity is a very pleasant smelling, light cleanser, and is good for the morning to make you feel clean and refreshed. It was gentle and did not dry out my skin. Being a light cleanser, it wasn't good enough to remove my makeup, so I had to use a stronger cleanser at night. Overall, it's a good product for someone who doesn't wear much makeup and doesn't mind dishing out for that level of name brand.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2008 11:04:00 AM More reviews by LauraP24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This cleanser is extremely gentle on my dry, break out prone skin. I prefer it for the a.m. since, IME, it doesn't remove makeup any better than Cetaphil's gentle cleaner. This is more moisturizing, which is a huge plus for me, esp. in the winter. I'd re-purchase :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2008 5:35:00 PM More reviews by hoku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

EDIT 1/5/2014:

Overall: 4
Price: 3
Packaging: 3
Buy again: yes

I am bumping this cleanser to 4 stars. I tried it again 6 years later, and I like it much more than I did back in 2008! I wet my face, and apply a small amount (~the size of a Canadian loonie) to my face and rub in small circular motions for like a minute or two. I Love the way my face feels after, and I adore the smell. It cleans my face pretty well (I don't wear much makeup - usually just mineral powder foundation) and I find it therapeutic to use daily.

It doesn't strip my face at all, and I feel like it is probably one of my favourite face washes ever! $26/8 oz isn't too bad considering the amount you need to use each time. If I wear heavy makeup, I'll remove it first with a makeup wipe and then use Purity after.

See the original review below:

Original review: 3/18/2008
Overall: 3

Price: 4 ($20 US/8 oz)

Packaging: 2

Buy again: maybe?

---

I used this a few months ago and I have to tell you I wasn't that impressed. I mean, it's not a bad product, but it didn't exactly "wow" me, and I was expecting something fabulous after reading the reviews and the price it was going for. It comes in a plastic bottle with a flip-top cap, and the label has cute inspirational phrases all over it-- otherwise, it's pretty boring looking.

I don't wear a whole lot of makeup, but when I do it's usually powdered mineral foundation (Lily Lolo) and powder (Silk Naturals), blush (Silk Naturals) and maybe some eye shadow (Everyday Minerals, various drugstore brands). I wear sunscreen everyday (Skinceuticals Ultimate UV Defense SPF30) and I have combination acne-prone skin, and am in my 20s.

Following everyone's advice, I use wet hands to apply this to my dry face, massaging around for a minute. I like the smell, and I like that it's got a slightly creamy feel to it. But I just don't feel like it did a whole lot for me-- yes, it got rid of my makeup and sunscreen, but my skin would feel dry or stripped sometimes after rinsing it off. Luckily, I got mine as part of a kit so it ended up being cheaper, and I only have a 4oz size.

It didn't make me break out, so that was the good news. But otherwise, it's very unremarkable for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2008 3:05:00 PM More reviews by DixieChick04

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have found my HG! I have a combo skin and I deal with sensitive, redness, breakouts, blackheads, etc. I was skeptical about the hype on this product, but decided to swap for it to try. At first I'll be honest...I broke out here and there from it the first week. Who wants that!?! So I figured that it wasn't for me and went back to my usual cleaner...my drugstore stuff that was much cheaper.

Then I was researching another product from Philosophy, and I came across reviews on Purity again. I found out, that some of us goes through a transition period when you start another product. So I pulled it out of the cabinet, dusted it off, and gave it another shot. Wow! What a difference after my "transition!" My skin is clean, clear and now I only have a one or two breakouts and it's usually around that time of the month. And...you should see it take your makeup off like nothing! I'm talking eyeliner, eyeshadow, stubborn mascara without the burn or sting that other products do if you get it slightly in your eyes!

So what makes this so different from my drugstore cleanser besides the price? One word....gentleness. What sold me on it was when I was sick with the flu. You know when you nose is raw and chapped and the last thing you want to do is burn your nose with a cleanser? This is gentle and has no burn on your poor dry chapped skin.

Now, I will never go back to the drugstore brand...or any other brand for the matter. I have clean, clear, non irritated skin that looks great. I wash my makeup brushes with it; once a week wash my hair to remove buildup; and I've even trusted it with my children's delicate skin when they have marker or pen accidents. My opinion...give it a shot! It's well worth every penny =).

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/17/2008 8:20:00 PM More reviews by flammab1e

I really wanted to like this cleanser. It completely removes my all traces of my heavy eye makeup without having to use a separate product. Maybe that should have been a warning. After a few days of this stuff my skin became red and blotchy. I actually had people ask what I'm doing to my skin, not in a good way. I'm usually get comments on how clear and glowy it is. This stuff isn't getting near my face again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2008 6:45:00 PM More reviews by calikitty15332

It has been a little over a week since I have been using Purity Made Simple. The results so far have been great. My skin is usually really dry due my usual acne cleanser. Purity can soothe even the most irritated and dry skin. Purity has made my skin super soft, hydrated, and has cleared my acne significantly. It also makes your skin tone even, no more redness! Purity Made Simple is the best cleanser I've ever tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2008 3:19:00 AM More reviews by sat4ngurl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really really love this! I've gone through so many different face washes over the years... I've never stick to one... most of them I just leave on my sink counter because they're not that impressive and doesn't do much for me. I bought this because of the reviews on MUA and I wanted to spoil myself a little. It's a bit pricey but it's a giant bottle and lasts a while. It makes my skin silky smooth.and my complexion has been evening out. It doesn't completely wash away my eye makeup like everyone raves about but that doesn't really bother me since I didn't buy it as a makeup remover in the first place.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2008 8:38:00 PM More reviews by utopia134

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am always looking for a cheaper substitute for this... Its the only thing that completely removes my make-up. I use it at nite.. and to balance the cost.. I use cetaphil in the am.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2008 2:47:00 PM More reviews by aiyahbee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've had a relationship with this cleanser for quite sometime. At first, I wasn't sure if it was the one so I strayed away, looking into such cleansers as Neutrogena Fresh foaming and Cetaphil with hopes that I could find a better (and cheaper alternative). However, none could do what my Purity does. It removes makeup gently, even Maybelline FnS waterproof and MAC fluidliners and powerpoints with less scrubbing than other cleansers I've tried. It's got a milky base that rinses off pretty easily, and works well with or without a face towel or a facial brush. Sometimes I'll use it to clean my synthetic brushes that I use for foundation, concealer, and eyeliner since I find it more effective than using baby shampoo.

I have and will continue to repurchase this over and over. I buy the biggest bottles to get the best value and just transfer to a smaller squeeze bottle since the large bottles' tops will break if you drop them. I wish there were a pump, but I can settle for transfering over to the smaller 2oz bottle I got from a kit.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2008 11:02:00 PM More reviews by Autumnmc3

This cleanser makes my skin feel so soft and clean! I absolutely love it. It's so easy. It also feels very creamy on your skin!