December 17, 2014 | 1747 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2009 8:57:00 AM More reviews by PoissonRouge

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my first foundation, and I love it! I made sure to buy a foundation that both suited my needs and got fab reviews. And EL Double Wear ticked both of these boxes rather impressively!

Now, of course, there was no gurentee that I was going to like it. However, I felt that I had done the best I could to find a suitable foundation for my skin.

Well, let me tell you - I was impressed! Super-duper impressed. Let me tell you why.

First, let's talk about the application. I haven't got a foundation brush, or any make-up sponges, so I had to resort to using my fingers. (N.B. please note that this method is very unsanitary, and if you have no choice but to use your fingers, always remember to wash your hands before applying the foundation!)
OK, so whilst applying it, I noticed that it dries/sets extremely quickly. I don't think that your average foundation dries that quickly but I could be wrong. To avoid this somewhat irksome problem, I advise you to either mix the foundation with a little moisturizer (to give your complexion a fresh, dewy look), or to apply the foundation with a damp make-up sponge (I haven't actually tried this method yet but I've heard that it works).

Now, for coverage!... I found the coverage to be medium, but you can definitely build it up to full. What's so great about this foundation is that you don't need to use that much of it for a full face of makeup. Just two squirts and I'm ready to go!

...Which leads me to my next section: Packaging. Oh, the packaging! Such a disappointment. You would have thought that EL had enough experience and common sense to know that foundation pumps are soooo much better than regular screw-tops! Oh well, problem quickly solved: I just went out and bought the MAC foundation pump for $5, and it fits perfectly! :)

Alright, next: shine control and wearability. I use this foundation with MAC Blot Powder and Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector, and let me tell you - the trio work an absolute treat!! (And my skin is super-oily!) As far as wearability goes, I live in a hot, humid country, and this foundation just doesn't budge all day! It's perfect for people who live in humid conditions, like me, and find that their make-up smudges/comes off at the slightest touch, or has just melted by the end of the day.

Furthermore, as far as I know, EL Double Wear is not non-comedogenic, but its sister, EL Double Wear Light is. Now, I have acne-prone, sensitive skin and this product has not broken me out one bit! I'm absolutely ecstatic because usually, my skin becomes very tempermental when exposed to harsh or heavy products, and seeing as this foundation is pretty heavy, I'm pleasantly surprised!

Now for Removing: several reviewers complained about how hard it is to remove EL Double Wear, but personally I have no problem with it. I fon't use a make-up remover: my Liz Early cleanse + polish does that for me. (By the way, for those with sensitive skin like me, the Liz Earle range is fabulous! Check it out.)

Well, that's my review finished. I'm sorry if I've rambled, or bored you out of your wits! I tried my best to be concise and informative.

Hope this review helps.
Good luck, everyone! :)

27 out of 28 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/4/2009 12:48:00 PM More reviews by newyorkloveaffair

This was the first foundation I tried that wasn't a drugstore brand like CG or Maybelline, and the difference is staggering. I didn't even need a concealer with this particular foundation, and the color Ecru matched my skin flawlessly. I'd definitely purchase this again.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/4/2009 1:10:00 AM More reviews by Suekay

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this foundation as a sample in the color sand. While the coverage is quite good, it is too matte for my tastes. I prefer my foundation to have a bit more of a luminous look. For that reason, I will not purchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2009 11:53:00 AM More reviews by alicebignami

Good long lasting mat foundation. Usually I find that mat foundations tend to set into my pores/lines and look dry or cakey, but this one does not, even though it still does look like makeup, that is to say that it does not look very natural. After trying different colours, I found that Desert Beige (2N1) is the best match for my fair but warm skin tone. It is yellow based but it is not as yellow as e.g. Bone or Sand. If you are quite fair Ecru is a beautiful neutral shade too.
Being "double wear" it takes me "double time" to remove it (cleanser + lots of toner) and if I do not take it off properly it tends to clog my pores and give me break outs.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/29/2008 3:01:00 PM More reviews by AlwysNSrch

I was not impressed with the shade selection for this foundation. EL does not offer much. I am fair and the only shade that would "match" was too light and made me appear ghostly. I believe that I like Merle Norman's version better as they offer more color choices and Merle Norman's version seems to create a smoother canvas.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/29/2008 9:05:00 AM More reviews by Mollyness

If you are acne prone, I dont not recommend this at all. It accentuates ever single blackhead on my face, no good.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2008 7:15:00 PM More reviews by caseyfa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is one of those makeups that I bought and then set aside, the color being too light for my then overexposed skin. I currently have it in Dusk. I grabbed it on a whim and was very pleased and surprised with the results! Especially since it is a cool tone (I am guessing by the 2C1 under the color name on the bottle). It made my skin look almost flawless in a very natural way - and it blends perfectly with my light olive skin!! It gives a much more natural look than Merle Norman, which I had previously been using. MUCH. I am eying one of their neutral toned colors - I guess I should just get myself to a department store to try them on.

BTW, even though (and maybe because) I am olive, anything yellow toned just looks horrible. So I am thrilled to have so many neutral shades to pick from. And apparently cool ones too!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2008 3:15:00 PM More reviews by hamiltonchicky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have this and love it. I have acne prone, scarred skin and this covers everything flawlessly. Whenever I wear this, people comment about how clear my face is and ask what I have been doing. I have this in Ecru shade and being very fair skinned, you can still see the foundation line a bit so since this bottle is almost done, I will try it in Shell. As for not coming with a pump, I had a MAC pump left over from when I tried Studio Fix (and hated) and since MAC and EL are affiliated, this pump fits in the bottle and works perfect. A bit pricey but lasts forever, well worth it

EDIT: 2010 - was told at the EL counter that Shell was no longer available :( Was able to grab it at the CCO in PA and so happy I did. This colour is so much better on me than Ecru! Still fills in my pores and smooths my face making it look flawless.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/27/2008 2:49:00 PM More reviews by susancowden

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I started using Double Wear about a year ago when Ideal Matte was discontinued. I love Double Wear! It is easy to put on and doesn't wear off at all. I am relatively fair and have found that it is a good match for my skin tone as well. I am usually always on the hunt for a new hg product but I no longer look at other foundations as I have found my hg!

This is a medium to full coverage foundation so if you prefer lighter coverage this may not be for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2008 10:54:00 AM More reviews by crimsoncurlzz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

So, after a long search for a new foundation (i wear MMU in the humid summer but need foundation in the dry winter air) I settled on EL DW in the shade Ecru (1N1). My skintone is slightly lighter than MAC NC15 (prob a NC5 or 10) and less yellow.
COLOR MATCH: I am super impressed at the very pale shades EL offers. I never would have thought to try the foundation had i not passed and noticed how light they were! Tried it on a whim and LOVE the results. The color just completely blends with my skin. I tried the shade Linen (1W2) and while it looked good, it was very slightly yellow so i settled with Ecru which is a perfect match.
COVERAGE: I have a lot of acne scarring and an uneven skintone so good coverage is very important to me. This foundation, even with a light application has GREAT coverage. The difference for me is amazing, i still am shocked that it looks like i have a perfect complexion and it does not look like i am wearing a "mask" of makeup. Doesn't cover my very dark undereye circles but not even concealer covers them completely. I love the nice, matte look this foundation gives me.
WEAR: I have combination normal/oily skin and I apply a lotion w/ sunscreen underneath this and then use MAC Blot powder over the foundation. Applied like this, it wears ALL day long for me. I never feel oily or like my foundation is "sliding" off. GREAT wear for me.
OVERALL: I think this will easily become my HG foundation for wearing in the drier winter air. Don't think it'll work for humid South Louisiana summers... nothing but MMU works for me then. Pale girls, check out the shades EL DW has to offer!