MAC Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15

3.5

PROS: Good coverage (almost too good). Good shade choices.

CONS: Too thick and pasty for me. Doesn't come in a pump, so those who don't like to contaminate the makeup with their fingers won't like that aspect. Ended up oxidizing a little orange on me.

ALTERNATES: A cheaper dupe for this is Revlon's Colorstay Foundation, but it doesn't last on the skin quite as long. For something more matte and much cheaper: L'Oreal Visible Lift Age-Reversing Makeup. For H/E and dewy, I absolutely adore MAC's tinted moisturizer, which is the best thing for not making my wrinkles look worse, out of 35 foundations I've tried.

REMOVAL TIPS: If you are prone to clogging, you may want to remove this with a cleansing oil before using your regular cleanser.

APPLICATION TIPS: If you're concerned about this settling in pores, you can pat L'oreal's Magic Perfecting Base into pores first (and make sure to let it "set" for a minute, at least).

on 6/16/2010 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I've been using this almost daily since February and I'm nearly through my second bottle. I really love this. It covers all my pigmentation marks and I need only a small amount of moisturecover under my eyes when I use this. It has not caused me to break out at all. I've tried applying it with MAC's 190, 187, 188 and 130 and after numerous trials I find I get the most flawless results by squirting two/three pumps into the palm of my hands, rub together and smooth all over blending with fingers. I then squirt one more pump into my palm then stipple my 130 in it and dab that over my cheeks where the pigmentation spots are. I then use my 187 all over in a stippling motion, this seems to blend it all together nicely. The only thing I dislike is that it causes me to have a white cast in photos, due to the SPF. I think MAC should bring out studio fix fluid without SPF which would be fantastic for photography. For reference I use studio tech if I know I'm going to be photographed. (Weddings ect.) I'm NC30. Deffo recommend.
UPDATE: 23/10/2010
didn't fancy getting foundation over my hands today so I squirted some fix + spray on my 187 brush then used this to apply my SFF. Worked really well! The dampness stopped any caking, left a nice, matte flawless finish. X

on 6/14/2010 2:18:00 PM

I have used this foundation for a couple years now. It is a medium-buildable coverage, so if you are looking for something sheer or light I would not recommend this. I, however, prefer a more full coverage and I really like this product. I have not had any problems with breaking out, as some people have experienced. A pump would be nice, but there is one you can buy for $6. As far as price goes, it is one of the cheaper department store/high(er) end brands so that is def not a deal breaker for me. Will continue to buy.

on 6/14/2010 12:50:00 AM

ugh! i really dislike this product! its thick, masky, heavy, emphasizes my pores, oxidizes, the packaging (no pump! need to buy pump seperately) and has no oil control at all! however the one thing i loved about this product was the colour match. i got matched to nc25 and it was the most dead on, perfect colour match ever!it is a bit too yellow, but then i like yellow based foundations. very comparable to revlon colorstay, even smelles similar, and u can get the same effect for cheaper.

on 6/13/2010 2:31:00 PM

I used to use this foundation a lot since i always got compliments on my skin, but it just felt heavy and was so heavy coverage that it was drying, plus the shade selection was orange based. I bought revlon colorstay and loved it, since i was going through a pale phase, but now since its summer, i want a little bit of color. I apply this with a damp sponge (since its so hot out, i dont want to apply a lot of liquid) then i set this with MSFN. Its perfect! Since its a little darker, it gives me a slight tan, with NO orange tones since i dont apply a lot of it. It really evens out my skintone. Once i run out of my bottle, i want to try Laura Mercier next, but for now, i really like this!

on 6/13/2010 3:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Awesome foundation, great cover, AND it totally matches my skintone. For some reason the NC looked a little yellow on me, so I went a number lighter and went to NW *gasp* but it was perfect. It was annoying how it didn't come with a pump, just 'cause it gets so messy, so I just bought the pump too. That's the only real downside of it. I have pretty dry skin, and it didn't exacerbate that situation. If you have oily skin I wouldn't recommend this.. Also I have never broke out with this foundation, but maybe my skin is just a lil' tough :)

on 6/11/2010 5:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

first of all, this is the only foundation that gave me the perfect match for my skin tone. nc25 blends in perfectly, and it really looks natural on me ...unlike 8-9foundations i have tried. however, this is little to oily on me ..i have to blot at least 5-6 times with this on... which is pretty sad ;(
other than that this would be a good foundation, especially people with dry-combination skin looking for full coverage. ill probably try this in winter again when im less oily

on 6/11/2010 12:08:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I'm still not 100% sold on this product. Although i bought this again and again for a year or two, I've experienced many problems with the Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15+.

Pros:
Full, heavy coverage, and generally quite lasting.
Decent spreading capability.
Reasonably priced.

Cons:
Don't really get the quality you desire.
Always, always oxidises after use of half the bottle, turning you orange.
Annoying shape, even with the pump.

I've dropped and smashed a thousand of these bottles, and I hate being orange. I love the full coverage but... I'm just not sold. Although it's not terribly expensive I can't honestly say this is quality for money.

on 6/10/2010 5:08:00 PM

This foundation can get really golden/orangey as it oxidizes throughout the day, which is a major problem for me. Thick consistency, kinda hard to blend, but provides full coverage for who needs it. I don't have too much of problem skin, so I will pass.

on 6/8/2010 2:51:00 AM

I love this foundation. I feel like i have tried every foundation possible and this works best for me. I use NC27 and i blend it with a foundation brush. I have oily/combination skin and this foundation makes my skin look airbrushed and not overally heavy. The coverage is great, it covers redness. The only small problem is that i have to blot/touch up around 2 times a day with an oil botting tissue or powder but overall its amazing :)