October 31, 2014 | 892 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

rated 3 of 5 on 3/25/2008 3:22:00 PM More reviews by MCNALS

I am glad I bought the little bottle of this at the checkout corner in Sephora, because this cleanser did not work well for me. I wanted to try something new (I was using Cetaphil which was working..why I insist on changing working routines is beyond me) and after a while I had a horrible breakout...I don't want to say it was only because of this cleanser because who knows? but that rarely happens with my cetaphil.

it is too bad, because i love the smell, the packaging, and the texture.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2008 12:55:00 PM More reviews by ivone4eva

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is great for removing make up... u dun need alot... by far its the best cleanser I;ve used....but its a bit pricey

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2008 9:25:00 PM More reviews by nikkipatel

I think that this is a very good face wash to use in the evening when you want to wash of all the makeup you have used for the day. It is slightly drying though so you HAVE to moisturize well after using it. I don't use this in the morning when I wake up because its just wayyy to drying. As I said, it really helps take of all the make up though!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/24/2008 7:54:00 PM More reviews by hellokitty00

I would say that this product works very well in taking off your makeup and cleansing the face. It does seem to slightly make your face a little dry afterwards, but otherwise than that it works pretty good.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/24/2008 3:17:00 PM More reviews by inside1solution

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Having read their website and hearing great things about their bath products i decided to buy Purity as it sounded ideal for me.. My skin hated this product. It had the same effects on my face as using soap! It made my skin tight, itchy, red and flaky!! Cant say i'll ever buy this again or bother with Philosophy again... Just wish id found this website earlier!!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/23/2008 10:12:00 PM More reviews by AK82

This cleanser is way overpriced for what it does. It doesnt strip your skin or leave it feeling tight. that's about the only positive. it left a lot of eyemake up after i used it (even though on the bottle it says it removes makeup and cleanses and tones in one step). After a few weeks i noticed my skin was starting to break out like crazy. after weeks of trying to figure out what was causing the break out, i switched skin care lines (now using clinique and stella mccartney) and miraculously the breakout stopped. if you read the ingredients, it seems like this stuff is basically pure oil (like most of philosophy's skin care). maybe this is good for someone with extremely dry, mature skin... but if your skin is normal or oily do not use this cleanser!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/23/2008 8:20:00 PM More reviews by ohBetty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this as a set with Hope in a Jar. Purity is a very pleasant smelling, light cleanser, and is good for the morning to make you feel clean and refreshed. It was gentle and did not dry out my skin. Being a light cleanser, it wasn't good enough to remove my makeup, so I had to use a stronger cleanser at night. Overall, it's a good product for someone who doesn't wear much makeup and doesn't mind dishing out for that level of name brand.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2008 11:04:00 AM More reviews by LauraP24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This cleanser is extremely gentle on my dry, break out prone skin. I prefer it for the a.m. since, IME, it doesn't remove makeup any better than Cetaphil's gentle cleaner. This is more moisturizing, which is a huge plus for me, esp. in the winter. I'd re-purchase :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2008 5:35:00 PM More reviews by hoku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

EDIT 1/5/2014:

Overall: 4
Price: 3
Packaging: 3
Buy again: yes

I am bumping this cleanser to 4 stars. I tried it again 6 years later, and I like it much more than I did back in 2008! I wet my face, and apply a small amount (~the size of a Canadian loonie) to my face and rub in small circular motions for like a minute or two. I Love the way my face feels after, and I adore the smell. It cleans my face pretty well (I don't wear much makeup - usually just mineral powder foundation) and I find it therapeutic to use daily.

It doesn't strip my face at all, and I feel like it is probably one of my favourite face washes ever! $26/8 oz isn't too bad considering the amount you need to use each time. If I wear heavy makeup, I'll remove it first with a makeup wipe and then use Purity after.

See the original review below:

Original review: 3/18/2008
Overall: 3

Price: 4 ($20 US/8 oz)

Packaging: 2

Buy again: maybe?

---

I used this a few months ago and I have to tell you I wasn't that impressed. I mean, it's not a bad product, but it didn't exactly "wow" me, and I was expecting something fabulous after reading the reviews and the price it was going for. It comes in a plastic bottle with a flip-top cap, and the label has cute inspirational phrases all over it-- otherwise, it's pretty boring looking.

I don't wear a whole lot of makeup, but when I do it's usually powdered mineral foundation (Lily Lolo) and powder (Silk Naturals), blush (Silk Naturals) and maybe some eye shadow (Everyday Minerals, various drugstore brands). I wear sunscreen everyday (Skinceuticals Ultimate UV Defense SPF30) and I have combination acne-prone skin, and am in my 20s.

Following everyone's advice, I use wet hands to apply this to my dry face, massaging around for a minute. I like the smell, and I like that it's got a slightly creamy feel to it. But I just don't feel like it did a whole lot for me-- yes, it got rid of my makeup and sunscreen, but my skin would feel dry or stripped sometimes after rinsing it off. Luckily, I got mine as part of a kit so it ended up being cheaper, and I only have a 4oz size.

It didn't make me break out, so that was the good news. But otherwise, it's very unremarkable for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2008 3:05:00 PM More reviews by DixieChick04

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have found my HG! I have a combo skin and I deal with sensitive, redness, breakouts, blackheads, etc. I was skeptical about the hype on this product, but decided to swap for it to try. At first I'll be honest...I broke out here and there from it the first week. Who wants that!?! So I figured that it wasn't for me and went back to my usual cleaner...my drugstore stuff that was much cheaper.

Then I was researching another product from Philosophy, and I came across reviews on Purity again. I found out, that some of us goes through a transition period when you start another product. So I pulled it out of the cabinet, dusted it off, and gave it another shot. Wow! What a difference after my "transition!" My skin is clean, clear and now I only have a one or two breakouts and it's usually around that time of the month. And...you should see it take your makeup off like nothing! I'm talking eyeliner, eyeshadow, stubborn mascara without the burn or sting that other products do if you get it slightly in your eyes!

So what makes this so different from my drugstore cleanser besides the price? One word....gentleness. What sold me on it was when I was sick with the flu. You know when you nose is raw and chapped and the last thing you want to do is burn your nose with a cleanser? This is gentle and has no burn on your poor dry chapped skin.

Now, I will never go back to the drugstore brand...or any other brand for the matter. I have clean, clear, non irritated skin that looks great. I wash my makeup brushes with it; once a week wash my hair to remove buildup; and I've even trusted it with my children's delicate skin when they have marker or pen accidents. My opinion...give it a shot! It's well worth every penny =).

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No