November 26, 2014 | 1896 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 3 of 5 on 2/1/2009 3:32:00 AM More reviews by KariRocksOut

After they stopped making my color in Equalizer (also Estee) I tried using this, but just could not find a color that was white enough. I don't have a lot of yellow or a lot of pink to my skin, it's somewhere perfectly in between.

I wanted to love this but it wasn't meant to be, only because I can't find a color match! I ended up going to Bobbi Brown, where I use the lightest color they have; Alabaster. Yes kids, I am a vampire.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/1/2009 2:34:00 AM More reviews by Diorboi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

at first i had faith in this product, but when I took it to a photo shoot in failed me. The prints looked so bad that I had to re-touch the model with bronzer, double wear = double scare!!! the model looked like a zombie under the bright lights.. once again estee lauder is Estee lousy!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2009 3:47:00 AM More reviews by Xdevilisious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Great foundation IMHO. It really covers EVERYTHING and will stick to your face no matter what. In the winter I use the lightwear formula, because it feels better on my skin, but in the summer it's always the original. I can sweat, swim, walk in the sun, whatever I want to do, and my make up will still look great after hours. Only shame is that they have so little shades and I HATE the packaging, but I have depotted it and put it in one of my old moisturejars.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2009 2:07:00 PM More reviews by serrabird

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is one of my favourite liquid foundations and I have been using it for years. It has a very good coverage and stays on for the entire day as the name suggests. Although it has high coverage, it does not cake up on the skin or dry it out. You are not really meant to use foundation for under-eye area, especially if it is for combination skin types as this one.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2009 5:39:00 PM More reviews by pinkblushxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I found this very drying on my skin especially under my eyes, accentuating the fine lines.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/23/2009 2:57:00 PM More reviews by Lynstar05

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I hated this foundation so much. I looks like your wearing a mask and does not look natural. Its very heavy and thick no matter how little i used, so hard to blend because its so thick and dries instantly. It made me break out really bad too! Hate it..i prefer a natural look, i took off a lippie for the bottle, the cakey look and for breaking me out. But if your looking for heavy coverage that wont break you out i can see how this could work

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2009 1:01:00 PM More reviews by kireizillah

This is the closest I've gotten to an HG! Close, but still not quite.

Pros: Excellent full coverage (makes skin as close to flawless as it's gonna get) and lasts all day (16+ hours!), good shade selection, mattifying, doesn't get shiny through the day, doesn't oxidize, doesn't break me out. Also, it covers so well I don't need concealer even for the dark circles under my eyes! Great for girls who have a lot to hide.

Cons: Can feel sticky and drying. You need a light hand to apply it or it looks mask-like. You also need to wash your face twice for it to come off - this stuff really doesn't budge! It's not perfect for us "no makeup look" gals. Also -- it magnifies pores like nobodies business! But use it with a good primer like Clinique Instant Pore Minimizer and it's no problem.

In the end: I'll keep looking for my perfect, natural, full coverage foundation. But this is what I'll use in the meantime!

(PS: If you dab a little on your eyelids it makes THE BEST no-slip primer. Even my cream and liquid shadows stay put all day. No creasing!)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2009 7:59:00 PM More reviews by Gaeia

I LOVE foundation. I have nice skin but also one of those faces that looks 100% better with a little 'help'. I want flawless skin, complete and even coverage- but also want to look like I'm not wearing any foundation at all. In my search for the Perfect One, I have accumulated at least 100 bottles plus of very expensive broken promises- meaning- most seem to dissappoint. They are still fresh and I can't bring myself to throw them out... Can I post a picture? I have so many foundations- it's actually a bit embarrassing, but I just wish you all could see how many I've tried...big sigh.

I finally have found one that delivers on every level: Double Wear. This foundation is heads above the rest.
It covers but looks natural, though I have to use it sparingly because it can look overdone- on me- quite easily. "Fresco" is my color- which surprised me to no end because it looks so dark in the bottle. I used to use Lancome, or Clinique's Superfit in 'Vanilla'- and later on Chanel's Teint Naturel in 'Faience'/ Porcelain (discontinued) but my skin has changed and is not nearly as oily as it once was. Now those first two foundations seem to accentuate every little line, and we can't have that now, can we, darlings?! *smile*

I apply it with my fingers and 'take it down' a notch with a sponge, especially where I want my natural color to come through- the apples of my cheeks, the middle of my forehead, the laugh lines at the outer corners of my eyes- so as not to accentuate the little lines.....and it makes me feel put together, beautiful, perfect. I do wish it had a little more luminosity like the Teint Universel, so I use Chanel's Eclat Originel on my cheeks forehead, etc. after applying Doublewear to give me that oh-so-lovely glow...(Of course Chanel had to discontinue that too- so I buy the sample packets by the dozen on ebay. Becca's is OK diluted, in a pinch, also.)

Now if only I could find the best concealer......but I must admit this foundation makes it almost unnecessary!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2009 9:11:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this for my mother as a late x-mas gift. Her face get's really ruddy and she is acne-prone. Before she was using Bare Escentuals, but didn't like the texture. So I suggested she try this after reading some of the reviews. The coverage is great. It helped to even out her skin-tone and was not cakey or chalky. I looked like her skin and stayed put all day without fading into any weird colors. It is quite pricey for a small bottle, but you don't need to use a lot and it works even better with a foundation brush. Highly recommended if your skin is oily or sensitive.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2009 8:57:00 AM More reviews by PoissonRouge

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my first foundation, and I love it! I made sure to buy a foundation that both suited my needs and got fab reviews. And EL Double Wear ticked both of these boxes rather impressively!

Now, of course, there was no gurentee that I was going to like it. However, I felt that I had done the best I could to find a suitable foundation for my skin.

Well, let me tell you - I was impressed! Super-duper impressed. Let me tell you why.

First, let's talk about the application. I haven't got a foundation brush, or any make-up sponges, so I had to resort to using my fingers. (N.B. please note that this method is very unsanitary, and if you have no choice but to use your fingers, always remember to wash your hands before applying the foundation!)
OK, so whilst applying it, I noticed that it dries/sets extremely quickly. I don't think that your average foundation dries that quickly but I could be wrong. To avoid this somewhat irksome problem, I advise you to either mix the foundation with a little moisturizer (to give your complexion a fresh, dewy look), or to apply the foundation with a damp make-up sponge (I haven't actually tried this method yet but I've heard that it works).

Now, for coverage!... I found the coverage to be medium, but you can definitely build it up to full. What's so great about this foundation is that you don't need to use that much of it for a full face of makeup. Just two squirts and I'm ready to go!

...Which leads me to my next section: Packaging. Oh, the packaging! Such a disappointment. You would have thought that EL had enough experience and common sense to know that foundation pumps are soooo much better than regular screw-tops! Oh well, problem quickly solved: I just went out and bought the MAC foundation pump for $5, and it fits perfectly! :)

Alright, next: shine control and wearability. I use this foundation with MAC Blot Powder and Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector, and let me tell you - the trio work an absolute treat!! (And my skin is super-oily!) As far as wearability goes, I live in a hot, humid country, and this foundation just doesn't budge all day! It's perfect for people who live in humid conditions, like me, and find that their make-up smudges/comes off at the slightest touch, or has just melted by the end of the day.

Furthermore, as far as I know, EL Double Wear is not non-comedogenic, but its sister, EL Double Wear Light is. Now, I have acne-prone, sensitive skin and this product has not broken me out one bit! I'm absolutely ecstatic because usually, my skin becomes very tempermental when exposed to harsh or heavy products, and seeing as this foundation is pretty heavy, I'm pleasantly surprised!

Now for Removing: several reviewers complained about how hard it is to remove EL Double Wear, but personally I have no problem with it. I fon't use a make-up remover: my Liz Early cleanse + polish does that for me. (By the way, for those with sensitive skin like me, the Liz Earle range is fabulous! Check it out.)

Well, that's my review finished. I'm sorry if I've rambled, or bored you out of your wits! I tried my best to be concise and informative.

Hope this review helps.