September 22, 2014 | 1289 users online

Mascara - BeneFit Cosmetics - They're Real

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2012 6:54:00 AM More reviews by Bindi7

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have had a strange experience with this product!

It was put on me by a Benefit SA at Selfridges about a week before the actual launch. I wasn't really interested in the product - but thought i'd let her try it on me - what could i lose? When i looked in the mirror after she'd put it on i was like wow!! My brother even noticed my lashes looked different - he was out shopping with me. Then when i got home my mum asked if i had false lashes on!! I thought damn i'm gonna get me some of this!!!

When i got the product and used it myself i was not overly impressed - i just couldn't get that look that the SA did. Anyway, i pursued and have gotten to love it. I can only use this on my upper lashes as if i put it on my lower lashes i have deposits under my eyes. Normally i would stop using a mascara that i could only use on my upper lashes but i do love this on my upper lashes!

The trick for me is to wiggle gently from left to right whilst brushing upwards so the curl holds. I apply this quite slowly to get the result i want. I only use one coat for daytime use and then another one for going out/occassions.

I am really happy and find that i don't get the spridery look which i loathe. I try to repurchase when there is 10% off beauty at Debenhams.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/24/2012 10:19:00 PM More reviews by Debsie13

Absolutely hated this mascara. I normally stray away from rubber type spike brushes, but I ran out of my favourite mascara (FRESH Supernova) and didn't want to drive 40 minutes to my nearest Sephora. Long Story short, I'm sad I wasted 28$. The formula is terrible and the brush only adds to the fiasco. It makes my lashes look clumpy and spidery and just not cute. I have long lashes that I usually don't need to use a curler but with this mascara the formula is so heavy that it almost makes my lashes heavy and I need to use a curler. Formula (or brush, I'm not sure which) makes layering the mascara next to impossible unless you're into that spidery-I-have-only-four-clumped-lashes look, which I'm not. All-in-all don't waste your money on this one ladies.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/18/2012 8:08:00 PM More reviews by mskittynoir

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Old review!!!!! Update below!
There is only one bad thing bout this, it's very tuff to remove. I use Mac pink colored eye makeup remover or lumene from sweden(drug store). Besides that..

Does not flake onto my cheeks!
Very black!
I like the consistency.
I don't like it with a primer( Lancôme) it's yucky and clumpy with that.
Drys fast, so don't give your lashes 20 coats, it willard it worse.
I do like 5 coats

Update!!!!!

After using this awhile, I had to stop, it's too heavy, hard time getting off my lashes, I felt I was loosing lashes like crazy trying to get the tar off. But this product does deliver! Just not every day! I use illamasqua raven now, which I love on my 3rd tube.

Xoxo. Kitty

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2012 5:39:00 PM More reviews by Gingerbelle8

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I can't seem to get the dramatic effects others get from this mascara. I got this because my friend posted a picture of how crazy her lashes looked with this. Not only does it not do much for my lashes, it smudges and i get racoon eyes. Nope...wont buy again. I've tried others that cost less and dont smudge and add volume. This product is over hyped.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2012 9:11:00 AM More reviews by daisyeyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love this mascara! It gives you amazing lashes, perfect for a night out. Lengthens and thickens. It does tend to pull the curl out of lashes a bit, but not as much as Kiss Me by Blinc. I think it "uncurled" me a bit less when I layered it over CG Lash Blast. NOOOOOO flakes. Great for contacts wearers like me. As others have said, it is a pain to remove. I've had better luck with a warm washcloth, as you would use to remove tubing mascara, than I have with various eye makeup removers. Neutrogena wipes (the ones that are like baby wipes, not the eye makeup remover pads) do a good job, too. You will have to be patient. Remove any residual with a q-tip dipped in grapeseed oil. I don't wear this every day due to the time and effort required to remove it without pulling out my lashes. Perfect for a night out, though.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2012 9:47:00 AM More reviews by kiki005us

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this mascara!! I have longer lashes and this mascara really fans them out (if you stay under 3 coats) and volumizes them. It doesn't flake or smudge by the end of the day, which is a huge plus for me. I am on the trial size that I got from Sephora a bit back, and I bought another trial size (just can't see spending so much on a full sized one if they have the trial sized ones, which last quite a while) for when i run out of this one. I always make sure to wipe off the end since it has quite a bit of product on it when you pull the wand out of the tube. This ensures for even and clump-less application. Just an awesome mascara :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2012 2:52:00 PM More reviews by Jadejetley

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Really nice mascara, a little pricey but lasts well. Spiked brush which I prefer.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2012 2:40:00 PM More reviews by Cherry2000

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I absolutely hated this mascara. Spiky rubber brush that does nothing to separate lashes. Gloopy, clumpy formula that gave me spidery looking lashes. No lengthening effect, no curl. Bleah! Back to Sephora this mess goes!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2012 3:44:00 AM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I picked this up on a whim during Sephora's Chic Week sale a couple weeks ago and have been loving it ever since. I rarely buy high end mascaras as there are so many good ones available from budget brands that it usually feels like a waste paying extra for higher end product. Even when I do buy a pricier mascara and enjoy it, I rarely like it enough to repurchase it when I run out. They're Real may just prove itself as an exception for my mascara buying habits!

They're Real! is described by Benefit as a lengthening, defining, curling and volumizing mascara, and it does a good job delivering on most of those promises. It doesn't appear to do any curling on its own, but it does hold curl well which is good enough for me since I always use an eyelash curler anyway. It also adds some fairly impressive volume and length to my lashes. Now do they look like I'm wearing falsies? No not quite, though this mascara delivers better for me on this promise than any other mascara I've tried before it that promised the same. It's not a lack of length or volume that really separates my mascaraed lashes from faux lashes, but the noticeable texture of mascara. Mascaraed lashes just never look as smooth as bare lashes or faux lashes, and They're Real! is no different in that respect. But it does still give me drag queen worthy length and thickness in two coats, which it does without smudging, clumping or flaking. What else I can really ask for?

The brush is pretty awesome. It's a standard rubber bristled brush you see on lots of mascaras these days, but has the added bonus of a few long spiky bristles protruding from the pointy end. These are great for getting at the lashes in the very inner and outer corners, though they must be used with caution as the end often picks up more product than the rest of the brush. You can wind up with goopy corners if you aren't careful!

The only downside I find on this mascara is that it doesn't build very well. If you try to use more than two coats, your lashes are likely to start looking kind of crusty. I imagine this would be a real problem for girl with short or sparse lashes. I've been using Revitalash for the past 7 months (that stuff is amazing!) so I have a good base with which to work with, but I might have been disappointed has I tried this mascara out on the lashes I was born with a year ago. I think the results would have still been good (or at least decent), but not 5-star worthy. Still, given how happy I am with what it does for me now, I don't like marking off for this. It's definitely been a good purchase for me!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2012 7:32:00 PM More reviews by summrgirl720

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This takes my HG mascara, CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume (orange) up 10 notches! HOWEVER, the price is too much IMO. You save if you buy 2, $10 4.0gram travel sizes for $20 than spending the full $22 for 8.5grams. So i just buy minis :) they last a while too! and it's easier to get very close up to my lashes with the shorter handle!

If you love CG LashBlast or Lash Perfection... chances are you will like this. Just get the travel mini. ;)